• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failed DM interview......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy32

Hi, as above failed on DM interview, I know I can re apply in 6 months and they said I had passed the assessment centre so would not need to do that again if application was progressed.
My question is can I now apply as many times as I wish to them and other TOCs? (is the '2 fails and out' rule for the assessment centre only and not the DM interviews?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
You have not used one of your lives as the DM interview is not part of the tests, you will have to await 6 months to apply to that TOC, but you can apply to every other TOC immediately, telling them you have passed the assessments already.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
My understanding is that you can apply for another TOC straight away and the two stikes rule is only for the psychometric tests.

redbutton

I'd suggest that before applying to this or any other TOC again, you contact HR to see if you can get some feedback about your interview. That way, you can improve your responses for next time.

Flyboy32

Yeah, got feedback, just needed more relevant, thorough answers.......
Needed to appear more motivated as well.......

Oh well, maybe next time :D

wanabedriver

Yeah, got feedback, just needed more relevant, thorough answers.......
Needed to appear more motivated as well.......

Oh well, maybe next time :D

Don't let it get you down. I failed a DM interview before and I'm now waiting on a medical for another company. At least you have passed the assessments which is a huge step forward to becoming a driver. Now all you need to do is refine your answers.

Best of luck Mate

Septus

My understanding is that you can apply for another TOC straight away and the two stikes rule is only for the psychometric tests.

Stating 'apply for another TOC straight away' may not be entirely true...FGW, TPE, FCC are all seperate TOCs but if you fail at any point (as I did at DM interview stage with FGW) and subject to a 6 month wait, it applies to ALL First Group owned TOCs...

Flyboy32

2 men.......
I will return to my management job thinking how I could do better next time!

455driver

Veteran Member
2 men.......

At least now you have a much better idea of what to expect, onwards and upwards as they say.

Its really annoying to get through all the 'hard' bits and fall at the last hurdle but you still have plenty of oportunity to get it right, so just look on it as a practice run for next time.

EchoCharlie

2 men.......

So sorry to hear you didn't get through the DM interview stage. Which TOC was it for?

I see from a previous post you were an airline pilot, so you'd have more skills than most relevant to driving trains. What with your pilot training and all. I don't know the content of your interview or what was asked etc but with your background and passing all of the assessment it does make me think that maybe the whole process is a little OTT. Of course I know they need to know what kind of person you are etc but it sounds like they gave you a tough ride at the interview.

My background is aviation too and although not a pilot, I know airlines don't go to such lengths as TOC's do during the application process! And let's face it flying is a much more physically and mentally demanding job (in my opinion anyway) ! Not to mention stressful because there's always threats of redundancies in the airline world! Really sucks...

If at first you don't succeed...

Last edited:

tlionhart

So sorry to hear you didn't get through the DM interview stage. Which TOC was it for?

My background is aviation too and although not a pilot, I know airlines don't go to such lengths as TOC's do during the application process! And let's face it flying is a much more physically and mentally demanding job (in my opinion anyway) ! Not to mention stressful because there's always threats of redundancies in the airline world! Really sucks...

Glad someone sympathises! :D
Whilst driving a train is a physically demanding job that requires attention 100% of the time, etc I think people forget in an aircraft it's pressurised. Meaning its like working on a mountain. Easy to say its an easy job as crew however the people saying that are sitting back, drinking a G&T whilst watching a film. This isn't the 70s, luxury in air travel has gone. Like the rail, rude pax, constant delays, long hours, plus tons of other challenges! It's relaxed when it's all going fine, challenging at the best of times when it goes wrong!

Flyboy32

I see from a previous post you were an airline pilot, so you'd have more skills than most relevant to driving ..

I'm not a pilot?
Which post did you see this on?

Thanks for your words though......

I'm not sure how many also failed but I know there were a lot of peopłe having interviews.....

I see from a previous post you were an airline pilot, so you'd have more skills than most relevant to driving trains. What with your pilot training and all. I don't know the content of your interview or what was asked etc but with your background and passing all of the assessment it does make me think that maybe the whole process is a little OTT. Of course I know they need to know what kind of person you are etc but it sounds like they gave you a tough ride at the interview.

I'm not being funny here, but an attitude like that is what could cost you at an interview. I don't know the demands of aviation, but to go in to a new role thinking it is beneath the role you already have, not appreciating the difficulties of the role and thinking the selection is OTT as the job is not that demanding, could put you behind another candidate who appears to a manager to appreciate the challenges that lie ahead in rules, traction, route learning, dealing with difficult situations etc.

Again, not a dig, just a bit of advice. You're role may be challenging and perfectly suited to and much more difficult in your eyes than driving a train, however if that shows in an interview a DTM may well overlook you. All the best.

EchoCharlie

I'm not a pilot?
Which post did you see this on?

Thanks for your words though......

I'm not sure how many also failed but I know there were a lot of peopłe having interviews.....

Ahh sorry, must have you confused with another poster with a similar name maybe..it was a while ago I saw it! Silly me!

Good luck for next time though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not being funny here, but an attitude like that is what could cost you at an interview. I don't know the demands of aviation, but to go in to a new role thinking it is beneath the role you already have, not appreciating the difficulties of the role and thinking the selection is OTT as the job is not that demanding, could put you behind another candidate who appears to a manager to appreciate the challenges that lie ahead in rules, traction, route learning, dealing with difficult situations etc.

Again, not a dig, just a bit of advice. You're role may be challenging and perfectly suited to and much more difficult in your eyes than driving a train, however if that shows in an interview a DTM may well overlook you. All the best.

Fair point, apologies if I offended. I suppose I'm not really in a position to comment which of the two roles is more or less demanding because I have not done either. Like I said, it was merely my opinion as of now (admittedly being a train novice) and knowing more about aviation than I do the other, also hubby is a pilot and I see everyday the demands of his job and I know what the selection process is for an airline job and it's nowhere near as involved as this process. That said, maybe it should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.