• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FANTASY: You're in charge of your own Open Access operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
I'd start a business of running night services right across the network by re-instating all the previous withdrawn sleepers and taking over everything that operates long distances between 2201 and 0529. Stock would be refurbished MK1s and MK2s cars, 47 or 85/86/87 hauled. Livery would be a dark blue blending into dark orange with the crescent of the moon to represent night time.

I'm not sure that many of the remaining Mark 1 and Mark 2 coaches would be suitable for conversion to sleeping cars. There were no Mark 2 Sleepers, and there are only about half a dozen surviving Mark 1 Sleepers mostly on preserved railways. That is, unless you were to go for couchette-style accommodation (with four-berth compartments convertible to seats by day).

I would suggest an open access cross-country Sleeper service using the Mark 3 sleeping cars displaced by the new Caledonian Sleeper stock (plus possibly some ordinary Mark 2s and/or 3s, either as seated coaches or converted to side corridor compartment layout and used as couchettes as described above. In fact, on a route where proper sleeping cars would not be economically viable, there could still be a potential market for couchette-only trains).

One train could run from Edinburgh and/or Glasgow (dividing and combining at Carstairs, or starting from Glasgow and running via Edinburgh) to Plymouth (or Penzance) via the West Coast Main Line to Birmingham, then via Cheltenham and Bristol, and the other starting from Newcastle and running via the usual cross-country route via the East Coast Main Line, Sheffield and Birmingham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
Stock: 68 + Mk3's + DVT
Route: Norwich>Ely>Peterborough>Nottingham>Stoke-on-Trent>Crewe

Just because I'm fed up of changing trains.

msussams

Stock. 800s. 5 car sets.

Route : Bristol > Worcester SH > Birmingham > Shrewsbury > Chester > Runcorn > Liverpool

With a toc only ticket. With lower costs in mind

Particularly between Bristol and Birmingham

bussnapperwm

Established Member
My TOC would be a commuter rail service called Cross Birmingham Rail with class 172/2 units.

2tph 4 carriage
Brierley Hill (for Midland Metro) - Stourbridge reversal - Cradley - Old Hill - Rowley Regis - Smethwick Rolfe Street - New Street - Aston - Perry Barr - Tame Bridge (attaches/detaches in new platform) - Wolverhampton/Walsall

2tph 2 carriage
Rowley Regis - Smethwick Rolfe Street - New Street - Marston Green - International - Tile Hill - Coventry - Kenilworth - Leamington

2tph 4 carriage
Wolverhampton all stations to New Street - Tyseley (attaches/detaches) all stations to Leamington/Stratford via Solihull

2tph 2 carriage
Walsall all stations to New Street then all stations to Bromsgrove.

Services would interwork at Wolverhampton/Walsall/Leamington

msussams

Thinking there should be stronger links between ports and airports.

Holyhead to Dover via Birmingham New Street, Worcester S Hill/ Birmingham Int’l (Alternating services) Oxford, Reading, Guildford, London Gatwick, Ashfield Int’l, Dover.
1tph. Both directions

Cardiff/Bristol TM to Dover via Bristol Parkway, Swindon, Didcot PW, Reading, Guildford, London Gatwick, Ashford Int’l, Dover
1tph. Even hours to Cardiff Odd hours to Bristol TM

Exeter St David’s to Liverpool LS via Weston Super Mare, Bristol TM, Bristol PW, Cheltenham, Worcester SH, Birmingham NS, Crewe, Liv. Sth Parkway, Liv Lime Street.

1tp2h (suggest interleaved with he current GWR service to Worcester)

Semi long distance dmus throughout

Andy1066

Cardiff central to Severn beach including all stops plus one or the most unused pilning.
Every 30mins a metro style service sprinter and pacer mix fleet .
Bristol metro Service all in complete black livery with shiny silver arrows on each coach.

Andrewh32

I'd run a couple of routes:-

Lincoln to Kings Cross calling at Sleaford, Spalding & Peterborough every 2 hours

&

Norwich to Kings Cross calling at Thetford, Ely & Cambridge every 2 hours, just think with this one it gives an alternative route as the main route from Norwich to Liverpool Street seems to have problems pretty often and gives a Fast service from Cambridge

Fleet something along the lines of the Chiltern 68s & stock

Co name KX trains

The Ham

Established Member
I would run a service calling at:
- Paignton
- Newton Abbot
- Exeter St. Davids
- Taunton
- Castle Cary
- Frome
- Salisbury
- Basingstoke
- Farnborough Main
- Woking
- London Waterloo

Clearly I'm just interested in the income from the Waterloo to Salisbury section, but with an Exeter to Waterloo journey time which is comparable to the SWR service and by making connections that are hard to make at present (e.g. Taunton/Frome to Salisbury, Farnborough to Salisbury, Paignton to most places, etc.) there's scope to generate other income to justify the extra miles.

It also means that by not running via Yeovil that the trains wouldn't be subject to improvements to loops/redoubling of the WofE line and would only need Crossrail 2 to be able to run.

(Note to self, best not publish it somewhere too public incase SWR, or their successor, think it's a good idea and run it as part of their franchise).

waterboo

Company Name: CityLinc (A play on Lincoln)

1 tp2h Birmingham New Street to Hull
Calling at:
- Nottingham
- Newark Castle
- Lincoln Central
- Doncaster &
- Hull

The benefit of this service would be the non- stop legs between Birmingham and Nottingham aswell as Lincoln and Doncaster providing a faster alternative for passengers.

1 tp2h Stanstead Airport to Hull
Calling at:
- Cambridge
- Peterborough
- Lincoln Central
- Doncaster
- Hull

1 tph Stanstead Airport to Leeds
Calling at:
- Cambridge
- Peterborough
- Lincoln Central
- Doncaster
- Leeds

Services would be operated using class 185

Livery would be Silver with Orange, Green and Red markings.

Network map enclosed below:ournetwork.jpg

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thinking there should be stronger links between ports and airports.

Holyhead to Dover via Birmingham New Street, Worcester S Hill/ Birmingham Int’l (Alternating services) Oxford, Reading, Guildford, London Gatwick, Ashfield Int’l, Dover.
1tph. Both directions

Cardiff/Bristol TM to Dover via Bristol Parkway, Swindon, Didcot PW, Reading, Guildford, London Gatwick, Ashford Int’l, Dover
1tph. Even hours to Cardiff Odd hours to Bristol TM

Exeter St David’s to Liverpool LS via Weston Super Mare, Bristol TM, Bristol PW, Cheltenham, Worcester SH, Birmingham NS, Crewe, Liv. Sth Parkway, Liv Lime Street.

1tp2h (suggest interleaved with he current GWR service to Worcester)

Semi long distance dmus throughout
Wow! What with all the direct connections to Guildford I hope that comes true!!!

backontrack

Established Member
Company Name: CityLinc (A play on Lincoln)

1 tp2h Birmingham New Street to Hull
Calling at:
- Nottingham
- Newark Castle
- Lincoln Central
- Doncaster &
- Hull

The benefit of this service would be the non- stop legs between Birmingham and Nottingham aswell as Lincoln and Doncaster providing a faster alternative for passengers.

1 tp2h Stanstead Airport to Hull
Calling at:
- Cambridge
- Peterborough
- Lincoln Central
- Doncaster
- Hull

1 tph Stanstead Airport to Leeds
Calling at:
- Cambridge
- Peterborough
- Lincoln Central
- Doncaster
- Hull

Services would be operated using class 185

Livery would be Silver with Orange, Green and Red markings.

Network map enclosed below:View attachment 43010
A nice proposal, very logical and it would do something new and needed. I would insert a Derby call though.

Last edited:

waterboo

A nice proposal, very logical and it would do something new and needed. I would insert a Doncaster call though.

A train going to Leeds won't end up terminating in Hull!

Whoops, corrected now :)

Leeds to Stansted was suggested by the ill fated Virgin bid for ECML in the last century ....

Cheers for the feedback / insight guys!

In extension, if I was to broaden the network, I would propose running the following services illustrated on the map below. However in terms of frequencies I am undecided.
Proposal 2.png

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I do think a direct link between the hugely succesfull powerhouses of Leeds and Cambridge would actually do very well , with the Airport as a good top up. Classic bi-mode territory. Hope someone in authority picks this up. :D

waterboo

I do think a direct link between the hugely succesfull powerhouses of Leeds and Cambridge would actually do very well , with the Airport as a good top up. Classic bi-mode territory. Hope someone in authority picks this up. :D

Indeed! It is also worth nothing that the Leeds to Stanstead Airport service could bypass Lincoln and use the ECML as a way to speed it up! Almost certainly screaming bi-modes

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Indeed! It is also worth nothing that the Leeds to Stanstead Airport service could bypass Lincoln and use the ECML as a way to speed it up! Almost certainly screaming bi-modes

A no brainer ,in terms of a fast run down the ECML , otherwise , do not bother - HS2 ought to release some capacity on ECML for such a service....

backontrack

Established Member
Whoops, corrected now :)

Cheers for the feedback / insight guys!

In extension, if I was to broaden the network, I would propose running the following services illustrated on the map below. However in terms of frequencies I am undecided.
View attachment 43046
Apologies - I meant Derby, not Doncaster :)

I would insert a Derby call.

waterboo

Apologies - I meant Derby, not Doncaster :)

I would insert a Derby call.

Whilst it is a very valid suggestion, the problems with the Derby call would be that it would require the train to reverse at Derby, making it somewhat slower. My thoughts on non-stop BNS to NOT is that no other train operator provides this service, giving it a USP. Also, the trains will have to reverse at Lincoln anyway, so too many reversals would prove problematic.

I've edited the network map to take into consideration ECML running for the Stanstead to Leeds services. proposal 3.png

DanTrain

Whilst it is a very valid suggestion, the problems with the Derby call would be that it would require the train to reverse at Derby, making it somewhat slower. My thoughts on non-stop BNS to NOT is that no other train operator provides this service, giving it a USP. Also, the trains will have to reverse at Lincoln anyway, so too many reversals would prove problematic.

I've edited the network map to take into consideration ECML running for the Stanstead to Leeds services. View attachment 43082
I like the idea here, have a look at a slightly revised version I've produced (a bit more clumsily in MS Paint!) Apart from fixing some disorientating cartography , I've added stops at Grantham, Ely and Newark North Gate, and seperated the Midland Mainlines line into two lines. I've also cut Doncaster from the Stanstead-Hull line, sending it up the Lincoln - Hull line instead, with the Birmingham - Hull line too. See what you think anyway, it's not perfect (and I don't just mean the badly drawn map!)

CityLinc.png

backontrack

Established Member
I like the idea here, have a look at a slightly revised version I've produced (a bit more clumsily in MS Paint!) Apart from fixing some disorientating cartography , I've added stops at Grantham, Ely and Newark North Gate, and seperated the Midland Mainlines line into two lines. I've also cut Doncaster from the Stanstead-Hull line, sending it up the Lincoln - Hull line instead, with the Birmingham - Hull line too. See what you think anyway, it's not perfect (and I don't just mean the badly drawn map!)

View attachment 43085
The Lincoln-Hull line? Such a line does not exist, I think you must be thinking of Grimsby ;)

All trains from Lincoln to Hull would go through Doncaster or the freight loop through the Doncaster suburbs.

DanTrain

The Lincoln-Hull line? Such a line does not exist, I think you must be thinking of Grimsby ;)

All trains from Lincoln to Hull would go through Doncaster or the freight loop through the Doncaster suburbs.
Oops, maybe the operator could build the second Humber Bridge!

Here's a revision then:
CityLinc.png

Additional stops at Wakefield Westgate and Derby, as well as a routing through Lincolnshire for the Eastern Mainlines and a rather clumsy diversion of the Midland Linc route involving a reversal at Lincoln. This now also goes to Grimsby (due to abysmal connection from Grimsby to anywhere!).

backontrack

Established Member

Here's a revision then:
View attachment 43086

Additional stops at Wakefield Westgate and Derby, as well as a routing through Lincolnshire for the Eastern Mainlines and a rather clumsy diversion of the Midland Linc route involving a reversal at Lincoln. This now also goes to Grimsby (due to abysmal connection from Grimsby to anywhere!).

I've edited the network map to take into consideration ECML running for the Stanstead to Leeds services. View attachment 43082

Both very nice :smile:

waterboo

Here's a revision then:
View attachment 43086

Both very nice :smile:

Very interesting proposals.
I really like the idea of connecting Grimsby, however I would personally run this as a LIMITED service. Given that it already has connections to the ECML (EMT to Newark North Gate) and a regular service to Manchester, a Grimsby service could perhaps be run as a morning and evening peak return.

Personally, I would remove the calls at Wakefield Westgate. Only because Wakefield Westgate already has 2x (+) intercity services per hour calling at the station in each direction, which I think is sufficient demand.

EDIT!
Upon closer inspection, I like the fact that the Stansted Airport to Leeds service has been provided as a single, dedicated line. This would be more coherent with passengers as I would expect that service to have a greater frequency with at least 1x trains per hour. Although I do believe that a Norwich to Leeds service would be beneficial.

Grantham and Sleaford will be good calling points due to their connection with the EMT local, I'm glad to see them added.

Again, I'm not to keen on Derby, due to the reversal that is required. As well as it being served by XC trains that already serve Leeds and York from that station.

I am very interested as to why you have decided to have Ipswich as a continuation after Norwich, as opposed to running two separate Ipswich and Norwich services :) ?

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
I would run a service calling at:
- Paignton
- Newton Abbot
- Exeter St. Davids
- Taunton
- Castle Cary
- Frome
- Salisbury
- Basingstoke
- Farnborough Main
- Woking
- London Waterloo

Clearly I'm just interested in the income from the Waterloo to Salisbury section, but with an Exeter to Waterloo journey time which is comparable to the SWR service and by making connections that are hard to make at present (e.g. Taunton/Frome to Salisbury, Farnborough to Salisbury, Paignton to most places, etc.) there's scope to generate other income to justify the extra miles.

It also means that by not running via Yeovil that the trains wouldn't be subject to improvements to loops/redoubling of the WofE line and would only need Crossrail 2 to be able to run.

(Note to self, best not publish it somewhere too public incase SWR, or their successor, think it's a good idea and run it as part of their franchise).

Looking at journey times Exeter to Waterloo would be about 220 minutes (3 hour 40) which compares with about 200 minutes (3 hours 20) for the existing via Yeovil services.

Yes it's slower, but if it runs at a different time to the existing hourly services (say at 12:50 rather than 12:25) then it would still be quicker to get to Waterloo by getting the slower trains than waiting for the next one or getting the earlier service and waiting.

However the people it would benefit most would be those going from Taunton to Salisbury/Basingstoke, those from Salisbury inwards who would have an extra service and those wishing to change to other services at Woking.

DanTrain

Very interesting proposals.
I really like the idea of connecting Grimsby, however I would personally run this as a LIMITED service. Given that it already has connections to the ECML (EMT to Newark North Gate) and a regular service to Manchester, a Grimsby service could perhaps be run as a morning and evening peak return.

Personally, I would remove the calls at Wakefield Westgate. Only because Wakefield Westgate already has 2x (+) intercity services per hour calling at the station in each direction, which I think is sufficient demand.

EDIT!
Upon closer inspection, I like the fact that the Stansted Airport to Leeds service has been provided as a single, dedicated line. This would be more coherent with passengers as I would expect that service to have a greater frequency with at least 1x trains per hour. Although I do believe that a Norwich to Leeds service would be beneficial.

Grantham and Sleaford will be good calling points due to their connection with the EMT local, I'm glad to see them added.

Again, I'm not to keen on Derby, due to the reversal that is required. As well as it being served by XC trains that already serve Leeds and York from that station.

I am very interested as to why you have decided to have Ipswich as a continuation after Norwich, as opposed to running two separate Ipswich and Norwich services :) ?
I can see your point about making Grimsby limited service, perhaps a couple of morning and evening services that connect well to VTEC ones. I also agree that Derby could be cut, and potentially Wakefield, although I doubt cutting that would gain you much time, so it may not be worth it.

As for Norwich to Leeds, I’m not convinced it’s very necessary, you can easily change at either Doncaster on the new service or Sheffield on the Liv-Norwich, both of which then have frequent services to Leeds.

As for what I’ve done at Ipswich, that wins the ‘I didn’t really think this through’ award, as it would of course be a ‘strange’ way to do it. Perhaps it could be run like Grimsby, a couple of morning and evening trains, connecting to northbound VTECs at Peterborough. :)

waterboo

Map.jpg View attachment 43106 View attachment 43104
I can see your point about making Grimsby limited service, perhaps a couple of morning and evening services that connect well to VTEC ones. I also agree that Derby could be cut, and potentially Wakefield, although I doubt cutting that would gain you much time, so it may not be worth it.

As for Norwich to Leeds, I’m not convinced it’s very necessary, you can easily change at either Doncaster on the new service or Sheffield on the Liv-Norwich, both of which then have frequent services to Leeds.

As for what I’ve done at Ipswich, that wins the ‘I didn’t really think this through’ award, as it would of course be a ‘strange’ way to do it. Perhaps it could be run like Grimsby, a couple of morning and evening trains, connecting to northbound VTECs at Peterborough. :)

Working on your rehash of the map, I think the following frequencies would be ideal.

Birmingham NS -> Hull
1tp2h

Birmingham NS -> Grimsby Town & Scarborough
4 returns per day - 2 Morning and 2 Evening Peaks
Formed of a double unit that splits at Lincoln. If timed in-between the 1tp2h BNS to Hull services, this will provide an hourly service during the peaks from BNS through to Lincoln.

Stansted Airport - Leeds
1tph

Norwich -> Hull (Via Lincoln)
1tp2h

During the peaks, splitting and joining of services will occur at Peterborough to provide a service to Ipswich

Last edited:

Photohunter71

Here's my offering. I'd form the Caledonian Railways board. Operator would retain the "Scotrail" name, I'd run a fleet of class 88's and buy a fleet of Traxx to work the Glasgow - Edinburgh, Glasgow - Stirling , Glasgow Central -Ayr, Glasgow Central- Carlisle, Glasgow-Newcastle, Edinburgh- Stirling, Edinburgh- Carlisle and Edinburgh-Newcastle with mk5's and dvt
Class 68's and mk5's with dvt for Fife circle, Perth,Dundee,Aberdeen and Inverness routes served from Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Fleets of 3 car EMU and DMU for working locals. The Bi mode 800 series to work between London , Birmingham to Edinburgh, Glasgow,Aberdeen,Inverness. More crossrail infrastructure for Edinburgh& Lothians , Glasgow and Fife,Dundee, Perth etc.
Livery would be Cobalt Blue all over the bodysides with a silver stripe along the bottom for locomotives and all over cobalt blue with light blue window band and a silver stripe along the bottom.

I'd also have direct rail lines to stations serving Edinburgh airport and one for Glasgow airport. Still to complete this fantasy railway!

Last edited:

itznonbine

I would run a Weymouth>Dorchester West>Yeovil Pen Mill>Westbury(Reverses Here)>Taunton> Exeter St Davids>Newton Abbot>Plymouth>Liskeard (3hr 50 to liskeard aprrox so 4 hrs journey )
Dependant on the Rolling Stock depends what the terminus.
158&153 (3 car train)(Coombe Junction Halt>Looe) 1tph
HST (2 Power Cars + 4Mk3s) (Par>Penzance)2tph
tph is between 5am-7pm (Starting. Some early trains will start from Westbury)

Then another service would be
Bournemouth>Southampton Central>Fareham>Havant>Worthing>Brighton(Reverse)>Eastbourne(Reverse)>Hastings>Ashford
That would be class 180.
I would have some stabled at Bournemouth Sidings during the night.
There would be 2 early services from weymouth and 2 late services back to Weymouth.
Also Peak trains would extend to Weymouth.
These services will be 2x180 Until Brighton then 1 uncoupled. They would also additionally stop at Dorchester South as well as Poole.
This would be 2tph

I would run a Ashford to Westbury via Tonbridge and Reading
This would be a Class 221.
The stops would be
Ashford Int, Tonbridge,Redhill,Guildford,Wokingham,Reading,Newbury,Westbury.
Not too many stops but to acquire a faster connection to South east instead of going via weymouth or london

Then to add a Extra Connection I would do a Norwich to Ashford via Ely and the Thameslink cross from king cross approach into St Pancras
This would have a Stopper and Express (These stops noted with X next to them)
Stopping at Norwich(x) Wymondham,Spooner Row,Attleborough,Eccles Road,Harling Road,Thetford,Brandon,Lakenheath,Shipped Hill(X), Ely (X), Waterbeach(X), Cambridge North, Cambridge(X), Foxton,Shepreth,Meldreth,Rotation,Ashwell and Modern, Baldock,Letchworth Garden City, Hitchin (X), Stevenage (X) (express goes via potters bar without stopping) , WattonAtStone, Hertford North,Bayford,Cuffley,Crews Hill,Gordon Hill,Enfield Chase,Grange Park, Winchmore Hill, Palmer's Green, Bowes Park,Alexandra Palace(X),Hornsey,Harringay,St Pancras Intl (X),Carrington,City Thameslink, Blackfriars, London Bridge(X),New Cross,Hither Green(X),Sevenoaks (X), Tonbridge (X),Ashford Intl (X)

The Stopper would be 1tph so I dont annoy Great Northern
The Express would be 2tph.
Stopper would be a Class 156x2
Express would be a class 43 + Mk 3s X 6
(This is to be edited later and continued soon)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.