• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite preserved line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Severn Valley Railway
Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway
West Somerset Railway

trains2064

Llangollen Railway and Severn Valley.
Gloucestershire and Warwickshire has to be my top big railway though.

Do however have a real soft spot for the Chinior and Princess Risborough Railway. Feel it would be a perfect prototype for a model.

Wyvern

Established Member
Train to Duffield. Trip up the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway. Stroll into Wirksworth. Lunch in the Red Lion.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I have rather an affection for the smaller and less well known ones that perhaps don't get so much attention, like, as mentioned, the C&PR. And there are literally dozens of narrow gauge lines, besides the ffestioniog and Talyllyn (yes, I don't suppose either is spelt right), that literally ooze charm; there's noting more delightful than a small tank engine (or diesel; there are some remarkable contraptions around) bustling through the trees.

NYMR purely for the many happy memories I have of the line and also because of the scenery it runs through!
Also have a real soft spot for the swanage line!

eMeS

Narrow gauge:
Vale of Rheidol - Aberystwyth to Devils Bridge. A super twisting climb with excellent views.

Standard gauge:
Nene Valley Railway - Decent length of track through pleasant farmland.
Churnet Valley Railway - Very friendly staff & pleasant countryside.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I spend many a happy weekend travelling about on the Severn Valley Railway, it's only down the road a bit from me and has everything you could possibly want from a preserved line well and truly sorted, and Bewdley is beautiful. However the regular mix of GWR loco types does get a bit tiresome for a firmly entrenched North Eastern man, so I'd also have to put a word in for the NYMR which achieves everything that the SVR does and also has more of an LNER flavour, shame that it's so far away from where I am.

I'm also extremely fond of the Ravenglass & Eskdale and the Tanfield Railways.

bocaj

Myne are,
North Yorkshire Moors Railway
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway
Middleton Railway
Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway
NRM, York (If that classes as one!)
Ffestiniog Railway
Snowdon Mountain Railway

Those are myne!

Jacob :)

Last edited:
I know that it not actually a 'preserved' railway but have always liked the RH&DR, mainly because of its length and the effort that the locos have to exert with loaded trains, despite the lack of gradients.

I can only really say the SVR, which I've had a few great times at, and the Bodmin & Wenford, 'cause me+my family stop off at Bodmin General on our way home from holiday. So I usually see the same sodding Prarie tanks every year...not a bad thing but I'd kill to see their 50.

Tractionman

I too have had great times on the ELR, SVR, NYMR, GWR, especially their galas - I also have a soft spot for the K&WVR because we used to go there sometimes on family trips in the late 70s, so has double the nostalgia value for me.

I like the GCR for its stations and general atmos, though the line itself does not make for the most exciting ride - for that I would go for the WSR, a wonderful landscape to travel through and a proper length journey (to the seaside too) - brilliant.

Only last year I took my first ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale - with open coaches, lovely scenery and fine locos I can't wait to go back.

Aren't we just so lucky to have so many great preserved lines to choose from in GB, thanks to so many years of hard graft and cash from countless volunteers and supporters - long may it continue.

I just wish we had more preserved lines over here in my neck of the woods... though having the D&CDR on my doorstep is handy enough...

cheers,

Keith

ACE1888

No particular 'favourite' but like to visit at least once a year the following
Bodmin and Wenford Railway
West Somerset Railway
usually for the 'Diesel Galas'/Mixed weekends, it's an 'age' thing I suppose..

paul1609

Established Member
Home Railway: Kent & East Sussex
Other Standard Gauge: NYMR
Narrow gauge: Welsh Highland
Metro: Critch
Less than full scale:RHDR and Ravenglas and Eskdale
Overseas: The Kingston Flyer (NZ)RIP
Yet to See(top3);
Foxfield Railway
Ecclesbourne Railway
Bowness (chilly jockoland)

Schnellzug

Established Member
A List, that's a good idea.
Std gauge: KWVR for Northern atmosphere. (I mean northern as in flat caps & whippets, not as in Northern rail. )
Narrow guage: well, as i said I am rather fond of them, so I wouldn't want to single one out, apart perhaps from RH&DR, which is the nearest thing to a steam operated main line this side of the Great Central.
Overseas, & also really must visit some time: (even if it's not strictly preserved, as like the RHDR it never closed or went over to diesel traction) Harzer Schmalspurbahnen
UK, and really must visit some time: Welsh Highland. Snowdon too, but they seem to have rather strict restrictions on what trains you can get, so you can't wait for the next one if it's a loco you prefer.

Swanage (because its local and has a great railway book shop)
West Somerset
Bodmin & Wenford (I love Bodmin Parkway, and also walking the old trackbed towards Wenford)

glenbogle

Strathspey for the great views and decent length of journey, Severn Valley also for the length of journey and the great rolling stock and both the Ffestiniog railways are truly magnificent.

gazthomas

Established Member
It´s only been mentioned once already - Swanage. 2 intermediate stations and a halt, gradient towards Harmans Cross from the Swanage direction plus good photo opportunities within walking distance make this a winner for me. The diesel gala´s are excellent. I also enjoy the West Somerset, North York Moors and Llangollen. I´ve had many a run on the Nene Valley but find the line east of Ferry Meadows very depressing.

Crawley Ben

I haven't been to all that many (Even though I am in my 27th year on this planet) but I have enjoyed the following Railways

Kent & East Sussex Railway
Bluebell Railway (Got married there)
South Devon Railway
RH&D Railway
Mid Hants Railway
Bressingham Steam Museum (Suffolk - and not sure if it even counts!)

Looking to visit the following lines at some point in my lifetime ;)

GWR
WSR
ELR
NYMR
Bodmin & Wenford Railway
Keightly & Worth Valley Railway
Wensleydale Railway
Weardale Railway
Mid Norfolk Railway

fgwrich

Established Member
Like others, in no order whatsover...Mine has to be the:

West Somerset Railway
Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway
South Devon Railway
Swanage Railway

All for a combination of the length, scenery, staffing and traction - West Somerset is a fantastic line, both in terms of scenery and length (And personally, the only downside with it is the standard preserved speed limit!)...

GWR Is another fantastic line, having to battle through landslip after landslip, but still with determination to continue upwards and onwards to Broadway / Honneybourne...

South Devon Railway - A Line that proves to me, that length isnt always best - it's a lovely line, fairly scenic, good food (Especially the Chilli!:oops:) and a lovely variety of traction...

Swanage - Again, one of my favourites...It's a lovely line and for anyone who hasn't been there, is deffinatly worthy of a vist - everythings well looked after, the diesel gala is brilliant, foods good aswell, and come on, your going down to Swanage - What's not more to like for a Southern route :) :lol:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
KWVR for me. Not only because im a civil there but because i love the branchline feel of it. The gas lit stations etc.

Other railways may have this but i havent visited them yet so until then!

Status
Not open for further replies.