• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC Pantograph strike at Blackfriars

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Noticed on my Facespace page a comment about this incident and the impression I have is that it was an 8-car train and the front pantograph did go down (meaning the buzzer in the cab stopped) but the rear did not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
Noticed on my Facespace page a comment about this incident and the impression I have is that it was an 8-car train and the front pantograph did go down (meaning the buzzer in the cab stopped) but the rear did not.

Can see that happening. I have often wondered about that happening at Drayton park as you rely on the DC light and buzzer-you can't see the rear pan from the cab so have to assume it has dropped to an extent.

Katada

Now I understand why GA class 377s have lit pantographs with cameras pointing at them

Manchester77

Established Member
Greater Anglia have 379s :)
And wouldn't the cameras be for OHLE checking, like virgin having a pendolino fitted with monitoring equipment?

12CSVT

Established Member
Only the rear unit had its pantograph up when it arrived at Blackfriars.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Greater Anglia have 379s :)
And wouldn't the cameras be for OHLE checking, like virgin having a pendolino fitted with monitoring equipment?

It is. It seems that most new fleets are having monitoring equipment fitted at least on some of their fleet. The IEP spec document seemed to mandate half the kit on the NMT being on all of them and almost all the rest being fitted to some of them. Isn't technological progress wonderful?

Whistlekiller

I often despair at the hysteria whipped up on occasions like this. The sadly predictable and ill-informed initial culprit, Twitter, fuelling the fires for other story starved and inept media, keen for some righteous indignation to trot out.

Everyone wants someone to hang, draw and quarter nowadays don't they? The last thing they want to hear is that it was a simple mechanical fault that couldn't be avoided. Things break, and unfortunately for the vultures, it's not always somebody else's fault. ;)

I'd advise the baying mob to settle down and wait for the results of the inquiry. It makes a lot more sense........:)

A-driver

Established Member
I often despair at the hysteria whipped up on occasions like this. The sadly predictable and ill-informed initial culprit, Twitter, fuelling the fires for other story starved and inept media, keen for some righteous indignation to trot out.

Everyone wants someone to hang, draw and quarter nowadays don't they? The last thing they want to hear is that it was a simple mechanical fault that couldn't be avoided. Things break, and unfortunately for the vultures, it's not always somebody else's fault. ;)

I'd advise the baying mob to settle down and wait for the results of the inquiry. It makes a lot more sense........:)

Very good post, completely agree.

Bedpan

Established Member
Well, it was a Southeastern service from Blackfriars to Sevenoaks, even if an FCC service from St Albans to Blackfriars. So they were very close to being right!
--As has been said twice whilst I've been writing this!

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Looking at the pictures, the clearance seems quite low- was Blackfriars' roof not built with OHL in mind (be it as it may that this won't happen any time soon )?

455driver

Veteran Member
Although if it is true that trains can draw current from both systems simultaneously then there is probably no reason why the entire thing can't be done on the move.

Trains can be in contact with both but will only draw current from one at a time.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Looking at the pictures, the clearance seems quite low- was Blackfriars' roof not built with OHL in mind (be it as it may that this won't happen any time soon )?

Yeah, I thought that. I even posted it as a comment on the London24 site, only to have someone blaming FCC (well private operators in general) for not having thought ahead!

I assume that all of the station rebuilding work was undertaken by Network Rail!

mrmatt

It was mentioned on another post (can't find it now) that when they were planning the Thameslink upgrade they considered taking the wires to Elephant and Castle as it has 4 platforms so a train that failed to switch traction could be reversed without completely blocking the line. The expense and the fact it made the Blackfriars roof design much trickier meant they scrapped the idea and Blackfriars roof was redesigned more simply assuming it would not get OHLE.

That said how far do the wires go exactly? Are they to the end of the platform or the tunnel mouth?

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member
It was mentioned on another post (can't find it now) that when they were planning the Thameslink upgrade they considered taking the wires to Elephant and Castle as it has 4 platforms so a train that failed to switch traction could be reversed without completely blocking the line. The expense and the fact it made the Blackfriars roof design much trickier meant they scrapped the idea and Blackfriars roof was redesigned more simply assuming it would not get OHLE.

That said how far do the wires go exactly? Are they to the end of the platform or the tunnel mouth?
The wires finish just north of city tl station, there is then a length of non electrified ROCS till the tunnel mouth.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've read somewhere that Blackfriars roof has clearance for any future OLE, but I don't remember where. Given that there is no particular reason to keep the roof below a particular height, and the various proposals for conversion of third rail routes, it strikes me as very short-sighted if they haven't provided that clearance.

However even if the roof is high enough to permit OLE, the pantograph could still hit it if the OLE isn't there and the roof is within the maximum exension of the pantograph.

DJL

I think, having decided not to put up wires, they wanted to keep the roof as low as possible to minimise the visual impact from the river.

But that is based on something I vaguely remember reading sometime that wasn't recent!

westcoaster

Established Member
We was told that the reason the glass windows do not go all the way to the roof is because there had to be a way a cross wind could pass the bridge without causing structural problems, maybe that's also why the roof isn't very high.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The wires finish just north of city tl station, there is then a length of non electrified ROCS till the tunnel mouth.

Not now, the wires are energised all the way to the south end of City Thameslink station, and northbound DC > AC changeovers are routinely taking place in City Thameslink since the last timetable change. There was an earlier period when the northbound OHLE through City T/L was not energised, but that ended some time last year after the bays at Blackfriars became available again, and various EMU classes were barred from the through route as a result.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry i put north, when i should of put south.

Easily done!

I often have to do a double take following the descriptions of what's where because I remember when 'Snow Hill Tunnel' did not include City Thameslink station, the latter being built south of the original portal of the tunnel. Presumably it made a lot of sense to 'logically' extend the tunnel length to include the whole area of the station.

Class377

We was told that the reason the glass windows do not go all the way to the roof is because there had to be a way a cross wind could pass the bridge without causing structural problems, maybe that's also why the roof isn't very high.

I'd have thought there could be a way to have a "gap" in the windows near the top or something, providing protection from the elements as we have now but then a bit to allow wind through, and the roof higher up? It does strike e as somewhat strange to have a roof so low that the pantograph is a risk, especially quite soon after the change-over point.

sbt

There you go then - train fault.

"Ah, but what is the Root Cause, what is the Root Cause my dear Watson? Finding that is not quite so elementary. Quite the Three Pipe Problem for the RAIB."

"No, don't disturb that volume of their reports, its weighing down a leaf I am pressing as part of our joint investigation into Adhesion Problems."

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'd have thought there could be a way to have a "gap" in the windows near the top or something, providing protection from the elements as we have now but then a bit to allow wind through, and the roof higher up? It does strike e as somewhat strange to have a roof so low that the pantograph is a risk, especially quite soon after the change-over point.

The problem that is apparent here doesn't necessarily mean the Blackfriars roof is especially low, or too low for a conductor or overhead beam system to be fitted in future.

A pantograph will be always capable of much higher extension than needed to contact typical OHL fitted at a normal height, it's how they deal with the rising OHLE over level crossings.

DJL

It stands to reason that the OHLE would be a different heights in different places for specific local reasons (not least of which could be differing standards & historical reasons). Therefore the modern pantograph obviously needs to be able to operate over a range of different heights.

So it is not implausible that the roof could be high enough to allow OHLE to be installed and yet still low enough as to obstruct the pantograph if at full height extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.