• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

February Storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
No worries, just reminded me of the ' someone called the BBC this evening to say there would be a hurricane, well let me assure you there will be no hurricane' that we all came to love from the Fish in 1987.

you could try getting it right?

Anyway, there was no hurricane. There's a massive different between "A hurricane" and "hurricane force winds"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Agree, but let's remember this is in The South so thee Daily Mail will be declaring a national emergency shortly with advice to stock tinned food and buy batteries for the torch.

power cut off about 0930 here, told it would be restored by 1500, now 1535 and still off, I live at the bottom of a mile long road which was virtually impassible due to floods last Tues/Wed, if the forecast of around 24hrs continual rain is accurate, will most likely be stranded again tomorrow.

What about the Somerset levels?

najaB

Veteran Member
What about the Somerset levels?
At the flood alert stage from what I can see. I guess there hasn't (yet) been the sustained heavy rainfall that would overwhelm the improved defences.

alb1

Blanket 50mph restriction just announced for all lines west of Cardiff all day tomorrow. Getting to work on time might be challenging.

Paul180

I have just had this email from SWT.

Severe weather is expected to affect our network and services on Sunday 7 and Monday 8 February. Below is a summary of our plans to help you travel around our network in light of the forecast severe weather.

Sunday 7 February

High winds are expected to cross much of our route tonight, particularly coastal areas. Lines expected to be particularly affected are those between Southampton and Weymouth, Portsmouth and London via Haslemere and Guildford, and Salisbury and Exeter St David's.

Trains will travel at lower speeds as a safety precaution from 19:00 until the end of service across coastal routes on our network. This may add up to 30 minutes to some journeys. In order to reduce delays the following services will also be amended:

Trains which run between Waterloo and Poole, leaving Waterloo at xx:05 will terminate at Bournemouth for the rest of the day.
Trains which run between Poole and Waterloo, leaving Poole at xx:55 will start from Poole for the rest of the day.

To keep you moving safely around our network, other trains may also need to be changed due to winds blowing debris onto the track.

Monday 8 February

High winds are expected to cross much of our route tonight, particularly coastal areas. Trains will run overnight on Sunday into Monday to check routes and additional checks may be necessary to ensure tracks are clear of debris and safe to run your train service. As a result, the first timetabled train on some routes may not operate and there may also be changes to the number of carriages on some services.
Winds are also expected to be particuarly strong between 11:00 and 15:00, affecting services on the Southampton to Weymouth route and also the Portsmouth to London via Haslemere and Guildford route. Between these times, trains will run at a reduced speed as a safety precaution and some journey times may be extended by up to 30 minutes. The following services will be amended:

Waterloo - Weymouth

Between 08:05 and 12:35, trains which leave Waterloo at xx:05 will terminate at Dorchester South. A connecting replacement bus service will run between Dorchester and Weymouth, calling at Upwey.
Trains which leave Waterloo at xx:35 will run to Weymouth, and will call additionally at Upwey.

Weymouth - Waterloo

Between 11:20 and 16:03, trains which leave Weymouth at xx:20 will start from Dorchester South. A replacement bus service will run from Weymouth to Dorchester South (calling at Upwey) for local journeys, however if you are going beyond Dorchester towards Bournemouth and Waterloo you should take direct trains which leave Weymouth at xx:03 instead.
Trains which leave Weymouth at xx:03 will call additionally at Upwey.

341o2

Established Member
At the flood alert stage from what I can see. I guess there hasn't (yet) been the sustained heavy rainfall that would overwhelm the improved defences.
I'm referring to the situation two years ago in response to comments that the south does not experience extreme weather

Parallel

Established Member
I was in Devon yesterday morning and afternoon, the flooding increased rapidly. I was lucky to travel back towards Taunton when I did, it would seem. There was lots of flooding near the Barnstaple line, though I don't think it closed.

I was in South Wales in the evening, and I indeed saw Aberdare trains terminating at Mountain Ash.

Established Member
From CrossCountry twitter

CaoCHz_WwAAGST-.png:large

Last edited:

Rapidash

Me thinks I'll get the bus tomorrow! Those XC services are usually heaving,and I don't fancy sharing even 4 coaches worth of miffed commuters on the already-crowded metro. Yikes...

Saint66

That XC info definitely fits in with latest weather modelling, with the worst of the winds towards the SW and far South.

Though looks like it could be an issue for a large part of the day, and not just the morning.

CC 72100

Established Member
Internally I've also seen a similar message for GWR - mentions of the South West, Somerset, Bristol area and South Wales.

So basically anywhere that's not an hour from London :lol:

Edit - same message online:

Alterations to services on all routes

Due to forecasted severe weather trains have to run at reduced speed.

Impact

Train services running across the whole Great Western Railway network may be delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 17:45 08/02.

Customer Advice

ON MONDAY 8th FEBRUARY 2016 severe weather conditions have been forecast to affect Devon and Cornwall together with parts of Somerset & South Wales and also areas along the Bristol Channel. As a result Network Rail will be imposing speed restrictions on train services in those areas for much of the day.

Customers intending to travel to or from these areas are advised to allow additional time for their journey.

Please note that the actual effect on train services will vary from route to route with services wholly operating within the east of our area likely to be subject to little or no disruption. Elsewhere any disruption will also be dependant upon the severity of the weather and its course remaining as forecast.

https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

Last edited:

Rapidash

Agree, but let's remember this is in The South so thee Daily Mail will be declaring a national emergency shortly with advice to stock tinned food and buy batteries for the torch.

South West actually. The Heil gives less of a damn about here than even the government;)

theironroad

Established Member
you could try getting it right?

Anyway, there was no hurricane. There's a massive different between "A hurricane" and "hurricane force winds"

Without wanting to get into a silly argument,you might want to re-read what I wrote and Fish's opening sentence in that clip you linked.

I did not say anything about it being a hurricane or even wind strength, just as he corrected 'the lady who rang in'.

So, leave off the clever corrective links old chap(ess), thanks.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Glad that's clarified, not a month goes by without me having to say "Well, technically he was correct" to someone before boring the pants off them with my meteorologic knowledge.

Phirstman

Trees down earlier between Cosham and Fareham, currently on last train to Poole from Southampton Central (due in at 0132). Have a 0900 start tomorrow so hoping for no further alarms.

Weather seems calm currently...

Bishopstone

Established Member
Govia Thameslink Railway have cancelled their online Passenger Forum this afternoon, due to the strong winds.

al78

Established Member
I have to be in London this afternoon and was intending to travel either from Ockley or Gomshall to London Victoria. The NR Enquiries site is talking about speed restrictions, possible delays and cancellations. Are the routes I'm intending to travel likely to be significantly affected to the point I would be better to get the train an hour earlier (the trains are one per hour from Ockley)?

najaB

Veteran Member
Are the routes I'm intending to travel likely to be significantly affected to the point I would be better to get the train an hour earlier (the trains are one per hour from Ockley)?
I have no specific knowledge of the route, but if disruption is expected then it's always a good idea to leave early if you can.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I have no specific knowledge of the route, but if disruption is expected then it's always a good idea to leave early if you can.

Back in my Customer service days on BR my advice on days like this is "get as far as you can as soon as you can"

Did pick a good day for a trip to Weymouth via Lymington Pier didn't I. Oh well hotel is paid for not wasting £50 because it's breezy.

Wivenswold

Established Member
There goes the Colchester to Clacton branch. Debris on the overheads about a mile from here. And the storm peak is hours away.

83G/84D

Established Member
Voyager struck a fallen tree near Bodmin this morning. Both lines are blocked. Flooding on Looe branch line resulting in no services for a while. Line now re-opened.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Dyfi Junction station, track flooded with a train trapped at the station.
Mach - Aberystwyth closed

tsr

Established Member
1Z99 (rescue loco, identity unknown) assisting 2A39 which has hit an obstruction at a foot crossing near Penshurst (Redhill-Tonbridge Line). 1Z99 has arrived from the rear of the train and is now on site.

Obstruction on the line at Kenley earlier - now cleared - and now one in the Chipstead area (unsurprisingly!).

Congestion via Blackfriars due to examinations of the line earlier on the TL route.

Numerous trains at East Croydon receiving alterations (eg. starting/terminating short) due to crew displacement and limits on capacity at Purley in reaction to the above, and as a result of stock displaced due to blanket speed restrictions.

Last edited:

Saint66

The guard on our East Coast service has told us that we're limited to 80mph until the Peterborough area, presumably due to the increasing winds.

Although we haven't had the chance to get above 50 yet, being delayed by overhead inspections in the Alexandra Palace area (We're past the problem area, but still travelling fairly slowly).

tsr

Established Member
Update: Obstruction on the line at Martins Heron now removed. Now one at Farnborough North so disruption on the NDL. Also a tree on the line blocking the Up Main Reversible in the Ouse Valley Viaduct area on the BML.

Sunset route

Established Member
I have to be in London this afternoon and was intending to travel either from Ockley or Gomshall to London Victoria. The NR Enquiries site is talking about speed restrictions, possible delays and cancellations. Are the routes I'm intending to travel likely to be significantly affected to the point I would be better to get the train an hour earlier (the trains are one per hour from Ockley)?

When I left work at 13:00, situation was as follows.

All cancelled

1Gxxs Brighton to Ashford (from Brighton) & vice versa
2Lxxs/2Dxxs Brighton to Lewes & vice versa
1Bxxs Brighton to London Bridge & vice versa
1Axxs Dep XX:18/XX:48 Brighton to London Victoria & vice versa

All other trains running subject to a 50mph speed restriction and what ever has been blown on to the tracks.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
When I left work at 13:00, situation was as follows.

All cancelled

1Gxxs Brighton to Ashford (from Brighton) & vice versa
2Lxxs/2Dxxs Brighton to Lewes & vice versa

1G/2D seem to be running now, with at least 3x 1Gxxs on the Marshlink and adjoining routes at present + 3x 2Dxx out there. 2Lxx still suspended. Also problems at Hove/Aldrington of some sort. Tree now looks like it may have been cleared from the Up line between Copyhold Jn and the Ouse Valley Viaduct, but everything's very slow round there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Damaged 2A39 now clear of Penshurst but no traffic as yet on the Redhill-Tonbridge.

Cliftonville Spur (Preston Park-Hove) closed.

Ouse Valley Viaduct - Copyhold Jn reopened but major service disruption.

Chipstead obstruction cleared.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.