• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW DMU Fleet Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
Hi all,

For those who are into the finer details, and following on from posts elsewhere about the missing seatback tables, here's a list of all current or planned modifications to the FGW DMU fleet:

158's - all 'currently ongoing':
Refitting of seatback tables where needed; mods to cycle storage bays and wheelchair/catering ramp facilities; mods to air-con cabinets, cab seating, Alternator Charge Fail lamps (LED's to be fitted) and auxiliary heater fuel pipes; weather testing and re-sealing of cab roofs; new High/Low horn labelling; replacement of all electrical relays with a more reliable type; replacement of windows with 'unbreakable' laminated glass (as per current guidelines); and a deep clean of all seat covers and carpets - not before time!

Additionally the 3-car 'Hybrid' sets and 749 are also to have a second emergency equipment cabinet reinstated. All of this was due to commence mid-January, but I'm unsure as to how much, if any, of the work has been completed so far.

A couple of trial mods were carried out last year on 769, with an emergency door release plunger fitted to the bulkheads above the sliding vestibule doors, and a switch fitted outside the disabled toilet allowing the door to be easily opened or locked out of use with a carriage key. None of this has appeared anywhere else on the fleet so far though.

150/1's:
These are to be fitted with intermediate door controls located within the saloons in order to bring them into line with the 150/2's. Currently the doors can only be operated from either end of a set from behind the cabs. This was initially mentioned some time ago when the units first began arriving, and no date appears to have been set for the work taking place. The recently refurbished 121 & 127 have not been fitted so far. The 'Door Interlock' indicator lights currently fitted to the door control panels are also to be removed, as they are a non-standard fitment (they were also originally fitted to the 150/2's but appear to have been abandoned years ago!). The repaints to these sets do not include the usual 'Local Lines' placename vinyls, just a coat of navy blue with pink doors and FGW branding.

And finally....

153 373 has had a trial mod to the cab droplight windows on the No.2 (small) end, as crews have compained that they are too stiff to operate. The new mechanism fitted has required the crew door controls on the Second-man's side (Open/Close push buttons under a locked flap) to be moved from beneath the window, and they are now down at solebar level slightly further forward.

All very exciting stuff, of course! :| I hope it's of interest to the 'teccies out there LOL :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi all,

For those who are into the finer details, and following on from posts elsewhere about the missing seatback tables, here's a list of all current or planned modifications to the FGW DMU fleet:

Refitting of seatback tables where needed; mods to cycle storage bays and wheelchair/catering ramp facilities; mods to air-con cabinets, cab seating, Alternator Charge Fail lamps (LED's to be fitted) and auxiliary heater fuel pipes; weather testing and re-sealing of cab roofs; new High/Low horn labelling; replacement of all electrical relays with a more reliable type...

Have they been 'reverse engineering' SWT's 158s while they've had them on daily hire then? :D

Depot staff riding up and down with notebooks and cameras all day?

That will have saved a few quid...

BestWestern

Established Member
LOL, could well be a possibility I suppose :D Replacing all the bits that Canton used to pinch hehe!!

387star

On Moderation
seat back tables at last! will 158s be repainted in to plain blue?

tinselworm

Refitting of seatback tables where needed

Yep- Experienced this in the last few weeks... I had one seatback table that came down, and didn't stop... when i put my drink on it, it just fell vertically down!

150/1's:
These are to be fitted with intermediate door controls located within the saloons in order to bring them into line with the 150/2's. Currently the doors can only be operated from either end of a set from behind the cabs. This was initially mentioned some time ago when the units first began arriving, and no date appears to have been set for the work taking place. The recently refurbished 121 & 127 have not been fitted so far. The 'Door Interlock' indicator lights currently fitted to the door control panels are also to be removed, as they are a non-standard fitment (they were also originally fitted to the 150/2's but appear to have been abandoned years ago!). The repaints to these sets do not include the usual 'Local Lines' placename vinyls, just a coat of navy blue with pink doors and FGW branding.

It should be noted that on these trains, the open and close button are the wrong way round... This livery is about already, I'll try and take a photo of it... I believe it's some sort of ex-silverlink unit, wouldn't quote me on this though, theres some silverlink liveried trains with First Great Western written on them...

387star

On Moderation
Local lines now defunct and painr lasts better obviously btw speaking of 158s surely northerns should receive high density seating to cure capacity fears plus they due upgrade

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
speaking of 158s surely northerns should receive high density seating to cure capacity fears plus they due upgrade

Erm no thanks, the 158s work perfectly well just the way they are right now. Sticking high density into them is not the way to solve overcrowding in the north, besides they are used on routes where high density would be inappropriate, Leeds - Carlisle and Sheffield - Scarborough for example.

BestWestern

Established Member
Yep- Experienced this in the last few weeks... I had one seatback table that came down, and didn't stop... when i put my drink on it, it just fell vertically down!

It should be noted that on these trains, the open and close button are the wrong way round... This livery is about already, I'll try and take a photo of it... I believe it's some sort of ex-silverlink unit, wouldn't quote me on this though, theres some silverlink liveried trains with First Great Western written on them...

It would indeed have been a Silverlink unit, as FGW is yet to recieve any of the ex-LM sets. 121, 127 & 123 are wearing the new paint so far. There are some 158 cars already fitted with seatback tables, particularly the ones with the 'new' (ex-Scotrail) seating. Some of them are already knackered :roll:

tinselworm

It would indeed have been a Silverlink unit, as FGW is yet to recieve any of the ex-LM sets. 121, 127 & 123 are wearing the new paint so far. There are some 158 cars already fitted with seatback tables, particularly the ones with the 'new' (ex-Scotrail) seating. Some of them are already knackered :roll:

There is one 158 that has some nasty seats which feel like they have no padding, and you can feel the springs poking into you, they're just awful! and the tables which have no concept of when they become tables are new ones, but they're pretty useless for anything that weights more than a sandwich... Who wants a table that if you lean on it, just folds downwards... I shall have to try and take loads of photos

387star

On Moderation
southern should sort out there seat back tables they squeak like hell on 377s

It should be noted that on these trains, the open and close button are the wrong way round... This livery is about already, I'll try and take a photo of it... I believe it's some sort of ex-silverlink unit, wouldn't quote me on this though, theres some silverlink liveried trains with First Great Western written on them...[/QUOTE]

Some photos to show the 150/1s have not actually seen much in they way of overhauls.

NOT REFURBED

http://www.uk-train.fotopic.net/p68824863.html
http://www.uk-train.fotopic.net/p68896081.html

REFURBED

http://www.uk-train.fotopic.net/p66215522.html
http://www.uk-train.fotopic.net/p69126448.html

Tom

starrymarkb

Established Member
Looks like a basic smarten up - I wonder if FGW are suspecting a post wiring Turbo cascade may see these units leave the fleet relatively quickly

Looks like a basic smarten up - I wonder if FGW are suspecting a post wiring Turbo cascade may see these units leave the fleet relatively quickly

I have a feeling they didnt bother with them as much as other units because there isnt a long time left on the franchise, bit like NXEA painting units plain white.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I have a feeling they didnt bother with them as much as other units because there isnt a long time left on the franchise, bit like NXEA painting units plain white.

Thats a point, plus as these are 'extra' units I suspect the DfT won't underwrite the increased lease charges for a refurbished unit unless it is in the franchise agreement.

Thats a point, plus as these are 'extra' units I suspect the DfT won't underwrite the increased lease charges for a refurbished unit unless it is in the franchise agreement.

Yea more than likely, that wouldnt surprise me in the slightest, there is a rumour going around atm that the Severn Beach/Avonmouth-Bristol/Weston will be 150/1 operated as will the Swindon-Cheltenham unit diagrams to re shuffle the units about a bit, the 150/2s on SWI-CNMs will go to Bristol and the Pacers in Bristol to Exeter permenantly with the exception of the 09:33 EXD-CDF and 13:00 return from timetable change! They would do best at keeping the 150/1s on the branches and the 150/2s in Bristol due to the slight problem of gangways. But then that rumour seems too good to be true because it requires a little brain power to do it :lol:

TEW

Established Member
The 0933 EXD-CDF will cease to be a pacer from May as it is extended back to Penzance, starting at 0600. As pacers don't operate to Penzance under usual circumstances this will now be operated by a 150. A lovely 6hr18m if you fancy the whole trip.
The interior photos posted a while back don't reflect the current refurbished units. I'm not sure of the extent of the work as I haven't seen one from the inside but they have had all the yellow handles repainted pink and apparently the flooring has been replaced, at the same time the exterior repainting was done.
With any luck the 150/1s will be diagrammed to shorter commuter trains and the 150/2s with their more suitable seating arrangements left to operate the longer distance Weymouth and Cornwall services.

MCR247

Established Member
142s do go to Penzance, 068 made it today with its NT purple :)

TEW

Established Member
They aren't booked to and don't regularly go to Penzance though.

MCR247

Established Member
True true, and would I be right in saying it is only possible on a Sunday?

BestWestern

Established Member
There is a rumour going around atm that the Severn Beach/Avonmouth-Bristol/Weston will be 150/1 operated as will the Swindon-Cheltenham unit diagrams to re shuffle the units about a bit, the 150/2s on SWI-CNMs will go to Bristol and the Pacers in Bristol to Exeter permenantly with the exception of the 09:33 EXD-CDF and 13:00 return from timetable change! They would do best at keeping the 150/1s on the branches and the 150/2s in Bristol due to the slight problem of gangways. But then that rumour seems too good to be true because it requires a little brain power to do it :lol:

This has been announced in the local press so looks to be going ahead. It's particularly unhelpful as the 150/1's currently don't have any door controls for the Guard to use except those behind either cab, which are only reachable via the locked door from the saloon. So it'll be mighty tough doing any worthwhile revenue between stops on the 'Beach! This could explain the sudden, and slightly bizarre, appearance of 'ticket' machines on the 'Beach line, which are actually old reconfigured Pay & Display car park machines (honestly!).

TEW

Established Member
Those machines have been planned for quite a while and members of the Customer Panel have been asking for them for ages. If the 150 allocation stays similar to now, the Severn Beach services will be a mix of 150/1s and 150/2s. At the moment either type turns up on any service.

BestWestern

Established Member
The 150/1 allocation will eventually increase further as more are due from London Midland, though these are currently being delayed by the ongoing issues with their replacement class 172 units. Whilst replacement of the 143 fleet in the Bristol area will allow greater flexibility, crews are ever hopeful that 150/2's stay 'main line' where possible due to the disliked practise of running the /1's in multiple with other stock, not a popular or previously common issue in this part of the world. In reality though, it's likely that a mix of sets will run on the 'Beach depending on what is available. The take-up of tickets from the TVM's is still relatively low much of the time, probably not least due to the tickets they issue not being able to operate the barriers at BTM, and any fares beyond there not being provided.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This could explain the sudden, and slightly bizarre, appearance of 'ticket' machines on the 'Beach line, which are actually old reconfigured Pay & Display car park machines (honestly!).
They are not "old reconfigured Pay & Display car park machines," they were specially bought by Bristol City Council (not FGW) a few years ago for use at Clifton, Redland & Montpelier stations and have been in storage for quite a while pending agreement between Bristol City Council, Rail Settlement Plan and FGW about how the machines will operate. The machines will be serviced and emptied by Bristol City Council parking services.

Those machines have been planned for quite a while and members of the Customer Panel have been asking for them for ages. If the 150 allocation stays similar to now, the Severn Beach services will be a mix of 150/1s and 150/2s. At the moment either type turns up on any service.
The installation of ''simple'' ticket machines was included in the line development plan all those years ago and has been discussed at the CRP line working group meetings at almost every meeting since then! As the Severn Beach line is a special case due to its local funding arrangements it normally turns into the executive member for transport and others (including me on occasion) having a go at FGW for their abject failure to ensure adequate revenue is collected by their staff and the ticket machines are just part of the overall plan.

Things have improved a lot since 2 years ago where the CRP started doing very cheap season tickets for school and college students on Severn Beach line, and also those going to Filton/Parkway and North Somerset stations.

BestWestern

Established Member
They are not "old reconfigured Pay & Display car park machines," they were specially bought by Bristol City Council (not FGW) a few years ago for use at Clifton, Redland & Montpelier stations and have been in storage for quite a while pending agreement between Bristol City Council, Rail Settlement Plan and FGW about how the machines will operate. The machines will be serviced and emptied by Bristol City Council parking services.

In that case I stand corrected, the word was that they had been imported from a pay and display somewhere!

The line is indeed a rather special case, and one can't help but wonder why it continues to be such in the current financial climate. If the line is in such high demand, as we are regularly reminded by its support group, then why is it felt that such artificially cheap fares are needed? And why should the wider taxpayer subsidise its users? These questions have to be asked, particularly when one considers the reluctance to reopen the route to Portishead, which would undoubtably prove very popular indeed and would relieve a great deal of traffic congestion in an increasingly popular and expanding reisdential area, but shows no signs of happening any time soon. The fares on the Beach could easily be increased by 50%, and still represent relatively good value for most users travelling several stops. The current practise of allowing half fares for Railcard holders when the full fare is so cheap anyway adds further to the running costs.

It's all something of a mystery....

A couple of trial mods were carried out last year on 769, with an emergency door release plunger fitted to the bulkheads above the sliding vestibule doors, and a switch fitted outside the disabled toilet allowing the door to be easily opened or locked out of use with a carriage key. None of this has appeared anywhere else on the fleet so far though.

Couple of pics of the recent mods for you

Tom

http://www.uk-train.fotopic.net/p69176983.html 153 randomness
http://www.uk-train.fotopic.net/p69176984.html toilet door mod 769
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
150261 has surfaced again, it appears to have got slightly tinted windows now which makes a big difference. the windows certainly have been replaced because they have completely different seals and markings, plus all the hoppers stay shut and dont rattle. Well done fgw! Its also got working heaters which is rare on these!

Status
Not open for further replies.