• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Trainee Drivers (closes 15/07/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kart

Hey, has anyone who took the First assessment heard anything from FGW? I am thinking of emailing them tomorrow to ask for an update about interview dates.

Tar

djelia

I had my assessment on the 2nd September, I'm pretty sure either today or tomorrow I should be getting my dates.
Does anyone know if you are guaranteed a managers interview if you pass the assessment or is it based upon how well you do in them?
Thanks

kart

I had my assessment on the 2nd September, I'm pretty sure either today or tomorrow I should be getting my dates.
Does anyone know if you are guaranteed a managers interview if you pass the assessment or is it based upon how well you do in them?
Thanks

Djelia, do you know if you have passed your assessment yet? I have been waiting for interview dates since the beginning of August. How do you know you will hear today or tomorrow mate?

It depends on how many people have passed the assessment, from what people say on here, the pass rate is really low so just depends on how many people applied with a valid assessment and how many people passed the FGW assessments.

djelia

I was told on the day that I had passed but wouldn't be graded yet, there was also a 48hr turn around on the papers and all tests get sent off on a friday

kart

Do you think they will have that many people pass the assessment's that they will use a scoring system to choose people for interview?

The email I got from First made out that I would have an interview once all of the assessments had been done.

Just have to wait and see. I don't know if I should email them and ask for an update.

djelia

Well I was told if I hadn't received an email by the wednesday (today) to email them.
What email address do you have?

GrahamUK33

Just out of interest, are the driver jobs just for the DMU type trains or larger passenger trains or even freight?

What is involved in driving a train?

hants-man

My status on the website has been updated to 'passed full assessment'. Haven't heard anything about manager interviews yet.

Graham, I believe that the only units that this role would be class 165 and 166. If you want more info on train driving in general i'd go to www.traindriver.org .

455driver

Veteran Member
Well that pees me right off, I asked if there were any other dates for the assessment and was told no. So I had to withdraw my application as I couldn't get the 1st of Sept off which was the day they gave me. After spending hours on that application too, tossers!
Did you save your application form on your computer?
If you did just print it off and use the answers next time, I mean they were good enough to get you through this time so they will work next time.
Just out of interest, are the driver jobs just for the DMU type trains or larger passenger trains or even freight?
DMU trains, no freight or HSTs.

What is involved in driving a train?

Push a button, pull a lever and checking your bank account!:lol:

You need good concentration levels, the ability to function at stupid oclock (at the beginning of early shifts and end of late shifts), be happy with your own company (it gets lonely up front), be able to think on your feet and remain calm when it goes wrong, be able to remember the rules and regs, routes, traction manuals etc, the routes is the one you will use the most its easy stopping at stations on a nice sunny day but try it at 9 oclock on a winters night in freezing fog when you cant see the rails in front of the train, be happy with management asking you why you lost 2 minutes between station A and station B last thursday. That will do for now! ;)

fordylad

Hey everyone, I attended my assessment on the 12 of sept, I was told on the day that I had passed, I checked my application submission on Friday, and it had a green tick on the end, this has changed to a small no entry sign, does anyone know what that means

TDK

Established Member
Thanks

If they need say 3 drivers and 12 candidates pass the assessments not all will most likely make interview, it then is decided on how well you did in the assessment stage, for example, if you just scaped throggh you may not get to the interview stage, it all depends on what the TOC wants when it comes to interview numbers, you may be put on hold for other vacancies when they come up.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Push a button, pull a lever and checking your bank account!:lol:

I presume that is a tongue in cheek answer, if not you have a lot to learn about driving trains.

Did you read the rest of his message? I get fed up with people making petty comments about the job aswell but it's fairly obvious this guy isn't and from what I can see he is a driver aswell.

kart

Hey everyone, I attended my assessment on the 12 of sept, I was told on the day that I had passed, I checked my application submission on Friday, and it had a green tick on the end, this has changed to a small no entry sign, does anyone know what that means

Well done on passing the assessment! Do you know how many other people passed on the day?

djelia

Congratulations on passing, The red no-entry sign means that you can withdraw your application if you wish.
How many people in your class passed, when I took mine there were 3 people and I was the only one to pass.

fordylad

On the assessment there was originally 4 of us, I know that 2 failed, I'm not sure about the 3rd as his, structured interview was after mine

the sniper

Established Member
Did you read the rest of his message? I get fed up with people making petty comments about the job aswell but it's fairly obvious this guy isn't and from what I can see he is a driver aswell.

I think TDK was just having an off day, as a similar thing happened in another thread yesterday. :smile:

TDK

Established Member

Yes, however he is making comments on certain points of driving elsewhere on this forum and also I think he is a new driver with a lot to learn about the grade. Since the original comment from him he seems to have gone quite and maybe has looked at the wider picture.

hants-man

Anybody heard anything from FGW recently? I gave them a call last week and they said that interviews would be 'in the next couple of weeks'.

I'm starting to get a little suspicious as they have advertised for Qualified Train Drivers at Reading (closes to applications next Monday 26th). I wonder if they will be looking at these candidates first before they start interviewing for the Trainee Driver posts?

turbo mick

Anybody heard anything from FGW recently? I gave them a call last week and they said that interviews would be 'in the next couple of weeks'.

I'm starting to get a little suspicious as they have advertised for Qualified Train Drivers at Reading (closes to applications next Monday 26th). I wonder if they will be looking at these candidates first before they start interviewing for the Trainee Driver posts?

Reading my depot has always been short of drivers for years the work is alot more intense than oxford,padd ltv alot of drivers have put in for hss padd and some down the west country
Local union rep said the company could be recruiting another 50 drivers next year with crossrail in the next few years i would say that a lot of drivers may end up at crossrail in the future from reading and paddington depots

ghost

Anyone had interview yet? I was told i did not have to attend assessment as I have already passed the tests. On the FGW application login section under the sub heading application status it says "did not attend assessment" very strange as I was told not to attend. I was told that I would be contacted for interview but its been a while and I've not heard anything.

FGW_DID

Established Member
I attended the last of the FGW assessment days held at Newport on Friday, at the time we were told that successful candidates would have interviews in October closely followed by the Medicals (a block booking has already been made for these) and that the actual course would begin in Feb 2012.

I passed all the tests but was told after the structured interview that it was sent to an external audit, who has a 48hr turn round, so hopefully just awaiting a confirmation e-mail to say I've passed.

Fingers crossed!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
After posting above, I decided to check my application status on the First Group Careers Centre and the status has changed to

'Successful at full assessment' :D:D

Just awaiting e-mail confirmation and the next step!

fordylad

Just received confirmation,that I passed my assessments, and That I have been asked to attend a formal interview in Reading for the trainee train drivers position,

Status
Not open for further replies.