• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW West timetable changes from 18th May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
150927 was working the 1930 Cardiff to Portsmouth on Tuesday!

Yet I had 158955 on the 1706 Taunton to Cardiff stopper. Lol!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I was on a 150/9 on the way to work this morning, where a 158 would usually operate.

This evening I also saw a singular 150/1 running to Portsmouth and a 150/1 coupled with a 150/9 running to Cardiff.

They must be really short of 158s, and with the large delays on this route recently, it's leading me to believe perhaps they're not coping too well in the heat. Also, 150/1s aren't very suitable for quite a long journey, even 150/2s would be better! Better than cancelling services though.

A 150/9 would be allocated in preference to a 150/2 to provide 3 coaches for capacity purposes.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
165011 also, during the week. 02 and 011 will have finished now as they are due to change over at weekends.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why a two-car FGW 158 was dumped at Weymouth today?

Goes out in the morning High Summer with 06 49 from Gloucester for strengthening and left at Weymouth until returning attached 17 30 Weymouth to Bristol T.M. for the day trippers.

Goes out in the morning High Summer with 06 49 from Gloucester for strengthening and left at Weymouth until returning attached 17 30 Weymouth to Bristol T.M. for the day trippers.

Thank you. That explains why it was there both times I went through the station.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I have picked up gen that, with the end of the Summer strengthening etc., the following will be happening:-

150002 returning to Reading this weekend
The Centre Cars of 150921 and 150927 are due for C Exam and they will work as 2 Car Units and their diagrams will be covered by 150+153.

RPI

Established Member
I have picked up gen that, with the end of the Summer strengthening etc., the following will be happening:-

150002 returning to Reading this weekend
The Centre Cars of 150921 and 150927 are due for C Exam and they will work as 2 Car Units and their diagrams will be covered by 150+153.

150927 is already running around as a 2 car today and is formed with a 153

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Does anybody know what happens to the 150 used to strengthen the 0730 Cardiff to Portsmouth between Cardiff and Bristol? It runs as a 150+158 between CDF - BRI and then just the 158 continues down to Portsmouth. But I can never tell where the 150 goes! Thanks.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Thanks! Does it form anything else later on in the day or is that it?

It can have some maintenance carried out before coming back out for the evening rush hour but there are a few diagrams it can pick up depending what is actually being done to it.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It can have some maintenance carried out before coming back out for the evening rush hour but there are a few diagrams it can pick up depending what is actually being done to it.

Oh I see, I thought it was just one booked diagram a day. Thanks!

thehstman

when has the swt 159 lease been extended till??

Yes, the 158 works the Cheltenham Spa - Swindon shuttles!

Parallel

Established Member
Well I had an "interesting" journey this evening. :lol: Caught the Great Malvern stopping service (ex. Warminster) this evening... Arrived 20 minutes late and it turned out that one of the engines had failed on the 150/2. My carriage only had a couple of light tubes working (emergency lights I assume) and we crawled all the way to Bristol which was where they decided to terminate this train and do a set swap. (It had already caused a queue of delayed trains, a replacement 150/2 was used which also appears to have terminated early at Worcester Shrub Hill itself due to being about 30 down.

FGW seemed to be having a bit of a tough time this evening, also saw a Weymouth service running about 20 late, as well as delays of at least 10 minutes to a fair few other services. Just shows how stretched the West fleet is, especially with the increasing train faults.

That said, it was interesting being on the failed 150 carriage though, creepily quiet!

Rich McLean

Established Member
Well I had an "interesting" journey this evening. :lol: Caught the Great Malvern stopping service (ex. Warminster) this evening... Arrived 20 minutes late and it turned out that one of the engines had failed on the 150/2. My carriage only had a couple of light tubes working (emergency lights I assume) and we crawled all the way to Bristol which was where they decided to terminate this train and do a set swap. (It had already caused a queue of delayed trains, a replacement 150/2 was used which also appears to have terminated early at Worcester Shrub Hill itself due to being about 30 down.

FGW seemed to be having a bit of a tough time this evening, also saw a Weymouth service running about 20 late, as well as delays of at least 10 minutes to a fair few other services. Just shows how stretched the West fleet is, especially with the increasing train faults.

That said, it was interesting being on the failed 150 carriage though, creepily quiet!

It has been extremely stretched this summer. However, now schools are back, many units down in the South West will head back up, so less will be required overall, so units can be swapped and repairs can be carried out to errant units

hassaanhc

Established Member

The other week a 166 was running with the engine on the rear coach not working. Not sure about the status of the interior lighting but they had placed a portable tail lamp in the rear windscreen (the flashing ones used on the rear of freight trains etc) in case the tail lights packed up.

Rapidash

Will be nice to have the Vast and Unyielding Grockal swarming season to be over for another year.

Only down side is the return of the Lesser Spotted Six Car Metro Service of Doom which makes my own homewards journey such a wonderful time to meet new peoples elbows and knees in a confined space for an hour:)

Any interesting changes coming to the TT this winter? Or is it fairly stable still?

Had a few 150's have engine difficulties or electrical faults over the summer. Has to be said the Sprinters are pretty damn smooth when only one engine is on!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Paignton - Cardiff was back to a three car 158 today \o/ :D

In some other news, some of the smaller stations are now getting proper PIS, which is good, as the help points had an annoying habit of breaking every other day. Seen 'em at Topsham and St Thomas so far. Don't think they've been turned on yet.

CC 72100

Established Member
Paignton - Cardiff was back to a three car 158 today \o/ :D

In some other news, some of the smaller stations are now getting proper PIS, which is good, as the help points had an annoying habit of breaking every other day. Seen 'em at Topsham and St Thomas so far. Don't think they've been turned on yet.

Noticed the 158 today - I'm sure that will have pleased some.

Indeed I've found the help points often out of use. Neat idea, but they're all too often displaying the 'out of service' message. True to form, Ivybridge's help point was in this condition last night when I passed through.

Parallel

Established Member
Keynsham has just had electronic display boards fitted very recently too. No idea if they are working yet though. And I agree about the help points with the screens, Freshford's are nearly always broken on both platforms. I can't believe that Oldfield Park doesn't even have the help points with the screens, with recorded entries and exits of nearly 300,000, meanwhile Freshford gets nearly 40,000... Good to see a few of these smaller stations are finally getting a little bit more attention now though. Both Avoncliff and Freshford have received new station name plates to go on the lamp posts now. A few others have too.

jimm

Established Member
Keynsham has just had electronic display boards fitted very recently too. No idea if they are working yet though. And I agree about the help points with the screens, Freshford's are nearly always broken on both platforms. I can't believe that Oldfield Park doesn't even have the help points with the screens, with recorded entries and exits of nearly 300,000, meanwhile Freshford gets nearly 40,000... Good to see a few of these smaller stations are finally getting a little bit more attention now though. Both Avoncliff and Freshford have received new station name plates to go on the lamp posts now. A few others have too.

What help points were provided at which station depended on factors like fear of vandalism but also whether the local council put in any money towards them. For example in Oxfordshire all the FGW stations got help-points with screens, thanks to a grant from the county council, even Combe and Finstock...

WelshBluebird

Established Member

The boards at Keynsham are working now, and have automated voice announcements when trains are approaching too.

Although I did notice that last Friday the 17.18 service to Bristol was 2 minutes late, but appeared on the boards as "on time". Is there a limitation of the system (or a specific rule used) so small delays like that aren't shown?

Hopefully Oldfield Park will get some of the boards soon, as you say it is crazy there are no screens there. I also wonder if we will see TVM's around anytime soon. I know Oldfield used to have one and it was later removed, but that was before I even moved to Bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.