• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Film of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm a bit bored of all the political and terrorism related threads in General Discussion, so i thought I'd start one on a totally different subject!

What do people consider is the best film they've seen that has been released in the UK this year?

Does anyone think it was Mrs Brown, Da Movie? :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm a bit bored of all the political and terrorism related threads in General Discussion, so i thought I'd start one on a totally different subject!

It has been getting a bit heavy recently!!

Personally I really really enjoyed The Imitation Game. Fantastic film about a very interesting person and period of history. I can see why people are tipping Cumberbatch for an Oscar/BAFTA nomination.

Interstellar was also very good piece of Sci-Fi which is one of the few occasions (and I include TV in this) that silence has been a feature of space shots. No engine noises or whooshes to be seen which is an interesting change of pace.

A Most Wanted Man was also really good (and rather topical). But it did remind me how sad it was that we won't get to see another performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I'm still looking forward to seeing latest Hunger Games film and also the final Hobbit film at some point in the next few weeks. Speaking of The Hobbit I did wonder if they did Lord of the Rings now whether it would require nine films seeing as The Hobbit has taken three and is considerably shorter than any of the three Lord of the Rings books...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It's obviously got be Riot Club (Holliday Grainger :wub:)

NB - This nomination is on the basis that it's the only film released this year that I've watched :D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think I've only been to the cinema once this year, and it was so un-memorable I don't remember what it was I saw!

So going by that I'd probably say the best film of 2014 that I've watched was The Lego Movie.

Johnuk123

Established Member
:lol:

A lot of people actually like political threads and don't find them at all boring.

Two different moderators have today given the impression that anything regarding politics is perhaps not encouraged on here, It is called General Discussion after all.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A lot of people actually like political threads and don't find them at all boring.

Two different moderators have today given the impression that anything regarding politics is perhaps not encouraged on here, It is called General Discussion after all.

To be fair to them, there have probably been more political / economic threads on here in the past three weeks than there have in the past three months, I can count nine on the first page!

We just need to redress the balance ;)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not saying we can't or shouldn't have them, but there have been rather a lot lately and I just wanted to change the mood a bit with a more light hearted thread as a bit of a change.

A new member or someone browsing the forum for the first time might not be interested in politics, but they might be interested in joining up to talk about films as well as trains!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I certainly enjoy politics and don't find any of the threads we have discussing them boring! Not sure what gave you the impression that anything else was suggested beyond having thread that was less 'we're all going to die!' and more 'how shiny were those special effects!'.

So out with it! What films have you enjoyed this year?

Johnuk123

Established Member
To be fair to them, there have probably been more political / economic threads on here in the past three weeks than there have in the past three months, I can count nine on the first page!

We just need to redress the balance ;)

Don't understand why anything needs to be balanced, surely if posters are posting on those threads they are the threads that posters are finding the most interesting..

I have seen threads on here that are the most banal and boring imaginable but I have never suggested they should be discouraged.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There's no compulsion for anyone to participate in any thread if they don't want to, but there has been a lot of doom and gloom lately!

Johnuk123

Established Member
I certainly enjoy politics and don't find any of the threads we have discussing them boring! Not sure what gave you the impression that anything else was suggested beyond having thread that was less 'we're all going to die!' and more 'how shiny were those special effects!'.

So out with it! What films have you enjoyed this year?

Paddington Bear.

There's no compulsion for anyone to participate in any thread if they don't want to, but there has been a lot of doom and gloom lately!

I agree with that but we live in troubled times and a lot of bad things are going on at the same time.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I do need to see that as it sounded quite good from what I've heard. Also I do quite like Hugh Bonneville so anything he's in I normally tend to at least check out.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I saw Hugh Bonneville talking about the film on The One Show, and I agree it looks good!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Haven't seen the "Paddington" movie yet, only the trailer, was just wondering if FGW may have sponsored this film as going off the trailer alone, there seems to be plenty of shots showing their logo/livery etc. (trailer as in movie by the way);)

Last edited:

PeterY

Established Member
Not being one for the cinema but I did enjoy Northern Soul.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Inbetweeners Movie 2 !

(The only one I went to the cinema for anyway. The rest can wait for the telly).

Butts

Veteran Member
As the holder of a Cineworld Unlimited Card and having used it to see well over 100 Films this year the best has been.....

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I've been a sucker for these films ever since the days of Charlton Heston :p

The Drop was quite good as well, James Gandolfini's last film.

Strangely out of the 100+ the worst I saw yesterday.....

What we do in the Shadows - a NZ Horror/Comedy

Butts

Veteran Member
I enjoyed Mr Turner

Yes, that was a good film, Timothy Spall wonderful in the role.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Imitation Game. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few Oscars in it.

Benedict C'batch was fairly good but I didn't think Keira knightley would be in line.
Personally I loved Charles Dance as the naval Officer.
Guardians of the Galaxy :)

Garbage :p
The Wind Rises

That came out last year did it not ?
The Inbetweeners Movie 2 !

(The only one I went to the cinema for anyway. The rest can wait for the telly).

That was okay but a bit "strained" I felt.

What do people consider is the best film they've seen that has been released in the UK this year?

Does anyone think it was Mrs Brown, Da Movie? :lol:

That was 30 mins stretched to 90 although it was good to see them all smoking unlike the TV version.

Butts

Veteran Member
Haven't seen the "Paddington" movie yet, only the trailer, was just wondering if FGW may have sponsored this film as going off the trailer alone, there seems to be plenty of shots showing their logo/livery etc. (trailer as in movie by the way);)

I have seen Paddington today - it was okay nothing special apart from the Graphics which created The Bear.

Also saw Horrible Bosses 2 - again okay, a so so comedy with Jason Bateman amongst others. The outtakes at the end were better than the movie itself :idea:

Monty

Established Member
My pick would be The Edge of Tomorrow. A hugely under rated film that is well worth seeing.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh yeah that was really good! Massively under rated as you say. The visuals were pretty good as well I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.