• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Filton Bank 4-tracking visualisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Excellent photos, thanks very much. The viaduct decking being readied. I wondered whether that's going to be 'weathered steel' as used on the Ordsall chord? The viaduct pillars are very smart.

Edit: Looking at the fact that the lines are being laid in exactly the same position as they were previously, at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Rd, the platforms on the 'main' lines could easily be reinstated if it were thought useful.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HowardGWR

Established Member
^^^ These 'new' tracks are, IIRC, on the solum of the original South Wales Railway broad gauge line, the 70s cutback involving the slewing of the relief lines onto the main lines of the 1930s quadrupling. We are looking south into Bristol if that helps.

John R

It was a bit later, happening in early 84. I remember running south from the Cardiff direction all the way alongside a "peak" that was coming from the Birmingham direction when heading off to University. Will be great when that starts happening again (the parallel running, not me going to Uni again :) )

HowardGWR

Established Member
It was a bit later, happening in early 84. I remember running south from the Cardiff direction all the way alongside a "peak" that was coming from the Birmingham direction when heading off to University. Will be great when that starts happening again (the parallel running, not me going to Uni again :) )
Was it then, thanks. Gosh, the 'shortsightedness' looks even more ridiculous now when one thinks of the cost of this restoration. OK, perhaps the viaduct at Stapleton Road might have needed replacing anyway. I put that last 'shortsightedness' comment in quotes, but a graph on another thread showing the increase in rail use since privatisation, 1995 onwards, it does make you blink. Who could have foreseen that?

John R

Was it then, thanks. Gosh, the 'shortsightedness' looks even more ridiculous now when one thinks of the cost of this restoration. OK, perhaps the viaduct at Stapleton Road might have needed replacing anyway. I put that last 'shortsightedness' comment in quotes, but a graph on another thread showing the increase in rail use since privatisation, 1995 onwards, it does make you blink. Who could have foreseen that?
To be fair, looking at the 1984 traffic, the bank was very quiet for much of the day, with some hours only two passenger trains in each direction north of Narroways. So when difficult decisions had to be made it was probably one of the lower hanging fruits. A Rail magazine around then published the plans for dramatic track rationalisation, many of which were much more draconian.

3973EXL

Established Member
Looking at the photo, what's the purpose of the rails attached to short sections of sleepers at the left of the new track in the foreground?
Modular S&C Stub end panels.

Probably for next weekend. The short bearers are bolted on to the bearers of larger panels to form the layout.

In the photo you can also see it's a temporary layout as the switches are not fitted at the north end.

Sean Emmett

Is that for the new Horfield Crossovers?
Yes. You will see from the pics posted on here (thanks) that the location of the crossover makes it difficult, but not impossible, to reopen Horfield station on its original site and be served by BRI - BPW trains.

This is why as the then local Cllr I pressed the Council to look at the Constable Rd alternative.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Yes. You will see from the pics posted on here (thanks) that the location of the crossover makes it difficult, but not impossible, to reopen Horfield station on its original site and be served by BRI - BPW trains.

This is why as the then local Cllr I pressed the Council to look at the Constable Rd alternative.
I think your location would have a much higher usage than, for example, Ashley Hill will have. Yes, the latter may have some UWE student use but they would mainly use the buses, I would have thought.

D60

No new station at Horfield but Ashley Hill is being looked at.

What gradient considerations/guidelines/rules might now be applicable with respect to reinstatement of platforms at Ashley Hill? (and Horfield/Bonnington Walk, or Lockleaze/Constable Rd for that matter, were either of these ever to be considered going forward..?)

Hellzapoppin

It's part of the Metrowest Phase 2 programme which has plenty of online info.
Sorry I can't post any links, IT isn't my forte I'm afraid.

Sean Emmett

Ashley Down is indeed included in MetroWest phase 2. After barraging the former Mayor with questions I got a feasibility study for a station at Horfield/Lockleaze - in addition to Ashley Down, not instead of. A new station at Constable Rd has now been confirmed as deliverable and is noted by MetroWest as a future option/aspiration.

However, with no obvious way of bridging the funding gap for phase 1 to Portishead the whole scheme now looks very doubtful, I'm sad to say.

Yes I'm aware of the issues re gradient and curvature. Have been trying to find out for some time what provision is being made for future stations under the current 4 tracking project, if any. Would really appreciate any info.

Also I understood the £33m 4 track project was to make the route electrification ready, incl raising Church Rd (Lawrence Hill) and Constable Rd bridges. But this seems to have been shelved indefinitely.

Last edited:

Class 33

Established Member
More progress, quite surprised how many of the Orange Army are on this project!

Can somebody tell me, during the upcoming 18th June - 8th July blockade will trains be diverted via The Severn Beach / Henbury Loop lines? (Such as they were in 2004).

Can't see anything about this blockade between 18th June & 8th July. I've done quick searches for services(i.e. Bristol Temple Meads-Cardiff) between these dates, and it's just coming up the normal journey times.

ATW158Xpress

Can't see anything about this blockade between 18th June & 8th July. I've done quick searches for services(i.e. Bristol Temple Meads-Cardiff) between these dates, and it's just coming up the normal journey times.
Don't expect the revised timetables will be added the system until this weekend at the earliest from NR. Bit annoying really as like with engineering work in South Wales. You won't get final timetable until a week in advance lately.

Class 33

Established Member
Yes, I looked again and see the blockade "Henbury Loop" is thinking of, is actually the Patchway and Severn Tunnels closures. So it won't effect Filton Bank, and we won't be seeing services diverted along the Severn Beach and Henbury loop lines(wonder if this will ever happen again, as it was 2004 when it last happened!). And like you say, the revised timetables/journey itineraries aren't on the system yet.

The Patchway and Severn tunnels will be closed for electrification work from Saturday 16 June to Friday 6 July, inclusive. As a result, long distance services between London Paddington and South Wales will run to an amended timetable, and buses will replace trains between Bristol Parkway and Newport.

D60

Ashley Down is indeed included in MetroWest phase 2. After barraging the former Mayor with questions I got a feasibility study for a station at Horfield/Lockleaze - in addition to Ashley Down, not instead of. A new station at Constable Rd has now been confirmed as deliverable and is noted by MetroWest as a future option/aspiration.

However, with no obvious way of bridging the funding gap for phase 1 to Portishead the whole scheme now looks very doubtful, I'm sad to say.

Yes I'm aware of the issues re gradient and curvature. Have been trying to find out for some time what provision is being made for future stations under the current 4 tracking project, if any. Would really appreciate any info.

Also I understood the £33m 4 track project was to make the route electrification ready, incl raising Church Rd (Lawrence Hill) and Constable Rd bridges. But this seems to have been
shelved indefinitely.

Regarding electrification bridge works...

Already completed in the earlier stages of the Filton Bank project during 2016 have been Bonnington Walk parapet raising.. Easton Road total deck/parapet replacement and raising.. Works also at Ducie Road..?

During this time, ie 2016, before the 're-scoping' of the works, it appeared that preparatory survey work had been done at Constable Rd and Lawrence Hill, of below-the-surface utilities and services that would need re-routing prior to demolition (gas, water, electric, telecoms), as happened at Easton Road.. (paint marks on surface of road/pavement showing routes of below surface utilities at both Constable Rd and at Lawrence Hill).

Also.. Footbridges replaced at Narroways and Lockleaze.. and yet nothing done with Stanley Farm footbridge, of similar age and condition, and despite a Planning Notice being fixed to it 2 years ago relating to its planned replacement..

All that work completed at very significant cost...

Surely it won't be in vain..? Surely..?

Phil G

Few pics taken today from a BPW to BRI voyager. Looks like the crossovers for the mains have been stored on top of the new reliefs. More sleepers laid out towards BRI. Sadly likely to be my last trip before it's finished so hope the pics keep on coming!IMG_20180523_133712082.jpg IMG_20180523_133625481_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20180523_133632848_HDR.jpg IMG_20180523_133629092.jpg IMG_20180523_133702169.jpg

contractor1

2 weekend 55 hr blocks in july, first 13th - 16th, second 20th - 23rd
blockade is on October 26th til November 19th

HowardGWR

Established Member
When I perused the NR blurb on the project, there was no mention of those two bridges, so I assumed that they didn't need altering. Why would they do the others and not these, if they do need raising? Church Road would be a mammoth job if it did need raising. I would have thought Constable Road was well high enough above the rails? I also presumed the ex-MR bridge south of Easton Road didn't need doing. What about that one? I don't see any mention about that.

D60

When I perused the NR blurb on the project, there was no mention of those two bridges, so I assumed that they didn't need altering. Why would they do the others and not these, if they do need raising? Church Road would be a mammoth job if it did need raising. I would have thought Constable Road was well high enough above the rails? I also presumed the ex-MR bridge south of Easton Road didn't need doing. What about that one? I don't see any mention about that.

Different bridges, different solutions...

Bonnington Walk, brick-built, sufficiently high above the rails, parapets raised by 4 courses one side and 5 courses the other, work completed during 2016.

Constable Rd, iron parapets, definitely need raising to be electrification-ready, deck concrete or iron..? It looks to me that to make the parapets comply with current standards (no pun intended), it becomes either worthwhile, practical or necessary to replace the whole deck at the same time, particularly if it can be considered to be 'life-expired'... Planned work currently suspended..

Easton Road, new pre-cast plinths, decks, parapets, work completed over approx 12 months during 2016..

Midland Railway ('Cycle Path') bridge, parapets raised during 2016..

Church Road (Lawrence Hill) bridge.. Not sure what work required to be electrification-ready, but it was scheduled to follow on from Easton Road and Ducie Road closures and diversions..

Ducie Road.. Not sure what work was required, but it was completed during 2016 deck concrete or ironneed

D60

(Tried to remove surplus last line on above post, but cannot get edit button to work on this rubbish phone with wrecking the whole post..)

Status
Not open for further replies.