• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LD777

Glad to see I won't be the only one having an exciting / nerve jangling Monday in sunny Newport! As you say, it isn't apparent exactly what our Monday afternoon will consist of, so if anyone can enlighten us that would be great. If not, at least Lewisstoner won't be the only one preparing to face the great unknown!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bob hope

I'm nervous too bob,got mine the same day.is yours 11.45am? Got lots of practice books from amazon.Good luck with the revision!

8.45am at Penta Hotel for me Paul.
Good luck to you too mate. Hopefully see you at the 2nd assessment!!

NHG66

Thank you mate, I will! And you (and anyone else) are most certainly welcome to pick my brains!

Well done mate. 3 of us who applied for this tranche got offers of a start on 5th November today as well (for Oxford) Gonna be a lot of newbie drivers at that depot. More courses coming up I hear as well so keep at it everyone. :D

jscho84233

Brilliant. Glad I'm not the only one on the forum! You all got your medicals on Monday too? I also know that there's an internal candidate starting on the 5th too.

AlexRostron

Well done mate. 3 of us who applied for this tranche got offers of a start on 5th November today as well (for Oxford) Gonna be a lot of newbie drivers at that depot. More courses coming up I hear as well so keep at it everyone. :D

What is a "tranche??" I was at same assessment as Jscho and pretty sure we had interview on same day too and I applied for oxford. :(

Doesn't fill me with confidence....I wish they would just let me know either way the waiting is really starting to wind me up now...this news not helping!
Congratulations though guys, well done. when did you apply NHG66?

jscho84233

A tranche is a group. Dictionary says it's a "division of a larger unit."

I had my interview on Aug 30, Alex.

AlexRostron

A tranche is a group. Dictionary says it's a "division of a larger unit."

I had my interview on Aug 30, Alex.

Yeah same as me dude I think I was 2 people after you with Coupes in between us.....I really hope they let me know soon I feel like my life is on hold until I find out. really felt the interview went well but what do I know!?

jscho84233

I know. I was kicking myself when I came out because there was so much stuff I wanted to say but didn't because my mind went blank. I convinced myself that what I said wasn't enough.

TT66

Morning team,can anyone confirm that the 1st assessment is Group Bourdon,mechanical comp and trainability for rules/procedures? Then if invited back its reactions and structered interview on a different day? Thanks for your help

Captain Chaos

1st Assessment I took was Group Bourdon, Trainability for rules and procedures 1 and 2. Mechanical Comprehension is no longer done as they say it is not required (I beg to differ but if that's what they say I can't really complain. It was one less to do!)

2nd Assessment is indeed Reactions and Structured Interview

TT66

Ok thanks,just strange why fgw sent me mechanical comp practice material.Oh well I guess one less test is a good thing,thanks for your help and best of luck.

SqUaShIe P

Hey all
Slightly off topic but I applied for a job with FTPE and FGW. I have already passes all the asseasments with another TOC but FTPE said one of my results was a 'boarderline pass' and said they dont accept boarderline passes.

Does anyone know if its a First Group wide thing or if its just TPE that set higher acceptance limits?

Thanks in advance

macncheese

I don't know whether its First Group wide but I know that fgw do not accept a borderline pass as well.

Lanc688

Hey all
Slightly off topic but I applied for a job with FTPE and FGW. I have already passes all the asseasments with another TOC but FTPE said one of my results was a 'boarderline pass' and said they dont accept boarderline passes.

Does anyone know if its a First Group wide thing or if its just TPE that set higher acceptance limits?

Thanks in advance

It's certainly first group that require this. I belive Northern do now also, but of any others i'm not sure.

Lanc

SqUaShIe P

Cheers for your help guys. Should have been on that assessment in Reading tomorrow morning but if they are going to be the same as TPE.
Thanks again :)

NHG66

I seem to recall from another thread that Anglia also do not accept borderline passes either. I am guessing that due to the huge number of applications they are raising the bar.

SqUaShIe P

I was Anglia I passed them with and they said my results were fine. I applied for a position with TPE and they said one of them was a borderline pass. So it was good enough for GA :/

barrykas

Established Member
Is it worth chasing up FGW directly on this (in which case, can someone PM me an internal number for them) given it's now six weeks since I did the Stage 1 assessment in Reading, or should I go through FirstGroup HR?

tone

Is it worth chasing up FGW directly on this (in which case, can someone PM me an internal number for them) given it's now six weeks since I did the Stage 1 assessment in Reading, or should I go through FirstGroup HR?

Yeah, its crazy. I had my structured interview with OPC almost a month ago and i still dont know if i have passed, is that the same with you or have you not done the interview yet?

I phoned them 2 weeks ago and they just said they were still waiting on the results and would let me know, so what can ya do....

barrykas

Established Member
Yeah, its crazy. I had my structured interview with OPC almost a month ago and i still dont know if i have passed, is that the same with you or have you not done the interview yet?

I've only done the Group Bordon and TRP so far.

I phoned them 2 weeks ago and they just said they were still waiting on the results and would let me know, so what can ya do....

E-mailed central resourcing 2 weeks ago and got the "waiting to hear from the recruiting manager" response.

LKS

Does anyone know how long roughly until you hear of you passed assessment one? I took mine yesterday and was under the impression from what she said we would hear back today.. Once she logs into our online account and ticks pass or fail it generates an automatic email...

TT66

Did mine today.We got told we would here by telephone or email in 7-10 working days! How did you find it?

LKS

Did mine today.We got told we would here by telephone or email in 7-10 working days! How did you find it?

Really?!? Where did you do yours? I had mine in Newport. Funny thing is the email that came with the first assessment invite said the second one is between 23-25 oct.. So if you hear 7 days later that can't be possible!!

Maybe I interpreted what she said wrong :/ been by my emails all day!!

I'm not completely confident... Although I'd been practicing, I thought it was mechanical and trp in first but turns out you no longer do mechanical so I hadn't practiced the bourdon as much expecting to do that on second (if I got that far). The only one I am confident on is trp part 1.

How does the scoring work as in have you got to complete at least half of trp2?

How did you find it?

TT66

Oh ok,i didn't get a date on my one.I did mine in reading so maybe its slighty different for the newport guys.Yh its hard to say I think the group bourdon is the one I'm least confident.Dnt think I made many mistakes but just not sure I did enough.Probly did 9/10 rows per page so we shall see.The GLOP test i thought was pretty easy and dials I ran out of time.Got to question 34 but if I understood it correctly then I should have nearly all right.Think a previous poster has said they got 20 and passed! What depot are you going for? We had 17 in my group and the same in the group before so lots of people getting invites!

LKS

Ah maybe it is different. I don't know how far I got lol, I just kept goings till she shouted :p i know i made two strikes into crosses, after a while they all seem to merge into one! the dials was easy but didn't get that far as you :/ that worries me now! You did really well by the sounds of it! I got the jist of what to do but time seemed to go quickly!

Got 20? As in only on the dials? How do they score them overall do you know? Does it go on a percentage?

17! Bloody hell! Must've been a tight squeeze! There was 8 in mine, and to be fair, don't think you could've got any more in!

I applied for Bristol :) which I've heard is always short. I'm guessing you've applied for reading?

I did walk out gutted yesterday. I hope I did enough but somehow don't think I did :( it's something I desperately want and really wanna make it.

TT66

Yeh I think he said 20 was a pass,as in 20 out of 43.if you type in dials in the forum search there's info there on previous pass marks. It's just a waiting game now and hope for the best.I'm like you I really want this job,would be an awesome career.Applied for oxford depot but i think half the guys today did aswell.Going to start preparing for reactions test and structured interview straight away and hope I get to do them soon! Best of luck in the process,let us know how you get on!

LKS

Ah ok I'll do that. If it is 20 I should be ok, though I don't want a borderline pass :/

I hate the waiting game. Maybe that's part of the assessment :p but it drives you insane!

It would be an awesome career :) once in never look back!

Ah cool. I think most of mine were applying for Bristol... Maybe they define the assessments group by that? The only thing I don't get is I read somewhere on this thread people went Bristol..I went Newport! Not like I'm complaining on seeing the great British country side!

Yeh perpetration is key which is what I'm going to do... You aware of the reaction test download (link can be found if you type that in forum)

Wish you all the best of luck and keep us updated!

jscho84233

Yeah they hold the centres all over the place. I did mine at a hotel in Reading. I did it all in one go, too, they've obviously just changed to doing part 1 and 2 seperately a few months ago. It was a very long day.

wanabedriver

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone was at Reading on 04/10/12 for group bourdon and trp assessment who have heard back as yet good or bad. We were told on the day 7-10 days so hopefully will have some feedback soon.
On the dials I managed 21, hope that's enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.