• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim

Has anyone got the careers phone number? I am on holiday at the minute and was going to travel to Bristol tomorrow for the interview but forgot any of my I'd other than the card part of my driving license. It says I need the right to work stuff in order to take the assessment. I feel so stupid.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ZeyNic

mine been over week now but closing date 12 September still two days to go, Do they wait until closing date?

Johncleesefan

Has anyone got the careers phone number? I am on holiday at the minute and was going to travel to Bristol tomorrow for the interview but forgot any of my I'd other than the card part of my driving license. It says I need the right to work stuff in order to take the assessment. I feel so stupid.

Hey pilgrim, there was a guy yesterday without id. They said it was ok but he'd need it for assessment stage 2. Hope this helps

TDK

Established Member

You will need a British Passport.

class ep-09

I thought it would never happen.... Just signed the dotted line...
I am so happy- starting 23rd of this month.

Johncleesefan

well done on getting the job. Can i ask how long you were waiting for the results of your first assessment. sat mine on monday and excited to hear back. i bet youre over the moon :D

Downtheline

Anyone who sat the DTG and CBI at Newport last Monday 9th Sep on here? Anyone heard anything yet?

Downtheline

Hi There,

What depots were these assessments for?

Hi, well, I applied with closing date 3/5/13 for posts at Reading, Paddington, Oxford, Bristol. There were 4 of us there, 2 internal, 2 external.

Are you in the game too?

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hi, well, I applied with closing date 3/5/13 for posts at Reading, Paddington, Oxford, Bristol. There were 4 of us there, 2 internal, 2 external.

Are you in the game too?

I'm awaiting Driver Manager interview for latest West depots positions

What depot are you looking to get into?

Best of luck btw

Downtheline

I'm awaiting Driver Manager interview for latest West depots positions

What depot are you looking to get into?

Best of luck btw

I said I'd prefer Reading or Oxford, Padd is about an hour, Bristol same so not ideal.
So we both hopefully get a DM interview soon. Good luck to you too.
Keep me posted (pun intended).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I had my DM interview on 29 September, they said I'd hear back within 2 weeks but still heard nothing

blimey, a year ago?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I said I'd prefer Reading or Oxford, Padd is about an hour, Bristol same so not ideal.
So we both hopefully get a DM interview soon. Good luck to you too.
Keep me posted (pun intended).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Good luck

They pulled the Bristol vacancies for external candidates at beginning of Summer

blimey, a year ago?

Lol although it wouldn't suprise me with Railway recruitment he prob meant 29th Aug

obrut165

Yeah sorry I meant August!

Skinny dave, yeah found it ok a lot of it is safety based questions and how you would deal with the public, I don't have much experience of dealing with the public(passengers) as I've been based in workshops since I left school.

I applied for Bristol as I already work for FGW in Bristol and live local!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Yeah sorry I meant August!

Skinny dave, yeah found it ok a lot of it is safety based questions and how you would deal with the public, I don't have much experience of dealing with the public(passengers) as I've been based in workshops since I left school.

I applied for Bristol as I already work for FGW in Bristol and live local!

Best of luck

simonw22

Hi can anybody help. I am new to this site so bare with me :)
Im due to take my day assessment on friday for a trainee driver with FGW but im really struggling with spartial reasoning tests which im doing off the 'how2be a train driver' site.

I have applied to for the role at FGW does anybody know if they do spartial reasoning in there assessments as its beginning to make me nervous?

All help most appriciated.

daddy_badger

Spatial test, no they don't. If you read probably the beginning of this thread may help. But as a guide, GBT and TRP 1 and 2 is stage 1. CBI and DTG is stage 2. DM interview is stage 3 and medical stage 4.

Brad1985

Excited, I have just passed my medical...pending urine sample but i havent taken anything ever so will be clear, I have been given a start date of 14/10. It has been a long road and cant wait to have the contract in front of me. Keep your chins up guys and you can get there.

carlejo

Excited, I have just passed my medical...pending urine sample but i havent taken anything ever so will be clear, I have been given a start date of 14/10. It has been a long road and cant wait to have the contract in front of me. Keep your chins up guys and you can get there.

well done buddy, really pleased for you, first attempt ?

obrut165

What depot you going to?

Downtheline

Congratulations ! Where are you going to then? Could you do all us tortured waiters a favour and tell us about when you applied / waits etc of your application/assessment process.

All the best and good luck.

PeteH

I think that course will be taught by an instructor with the initials 'P.K.', an all round excellent chap.

Johncleesefan

Waiting on an email from FGW to say whether or not I have being sucessful on stage 1. Checking religiously for the email. Whose in the same boat as me :)

jaarus

Me!! Hahaha
Was told we may hear by end of week.... But no harm in checking...... A lot

Brad1985

Hi Guys,

So here is my story. I applied for a job as a train driver in January 2013 in Manchester, First Transpennine, and sat 2 tests. First was Fault Finding, second was Group Bourdon test's. Both times said it would be a couple of weeks but ended up giving short, about a weeks notice, between each test.

After that I waited quite a long time to be advised that I hadn't failed but they were not proceeding with my application and I was available to re-apply for any further roles immediately. I then applied for the Role In response to this application in Bristol at the start of May. Then sat my reaction and co-ordination test on 24 May. Just short of a month later they advised me its good news and I had a Managers interview on 9 July 2013. I then had to wait until 22 August 2013 for an offer of employment pending medical. Passed the medical and have been advised a start date of 14 October.

I had two men that interviewed me in the managers interview and their communication has been nothing but 1st class and I will be finding them once I have started to thank them for being so helpful with the process.

My only advise guys is not to panic in the downtime because in that time it feels worse than it is. Stay positive and focus on the end goal. I really do wish you all the best of luck.

It also appears that everyone's journey seems to be slightly different with wait times and communication, this is probably due to the pass ratings people get in each stage. So don't give up dependent on what stage others are at.

Johncleesefan

Hi Brad. Cheers for your info. Congrats, you must be excited. If theres one thing that comes up time and time again on these forums, its the waiting times. I appreciate I may be in for a long one, still though, hope for the news early and everyday.

Network rail took almost 6 months to respond to me, quite a gruelling wait period but anyway.lets just see what happens :)

vanesy01

Im in the same position as Brad waiting on medical result with a start date of October 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.