• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

russmcp

Fingers crossed some of the LTV qualified drivers will apply for Hst and us waiting jump onto LTV. Have they given a closing date for qualified drivers to apply by?

I think because I've got through all stages (bar medical) I'm now starting to struggle with the wait as well as confirmation that it will actually happen.

Just need to keep patient.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
How many of the Paddington and Readings drivers will PTR&R over to CrossRail?
Yes I know 'they' have said it wont happen (maybe 'they'are hoping enough drives will go over voluntarily) but with over 50% of the Paddington work going over the staff must surely go over with it!

NX

Where as West and LTV drivers had waits for anything up to and beyond 5 years after passing out to even get in the top ten HSS transfer list drivers. Drivers with less than three years experience are going over to the HSS side now.

There has even been expressions of interests invited for drivers with less then two years experience to sign up for transfer to the HSS.

Hence the need to backfil.

NX

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Where as West and LTV drivers had waits for anything up to and beyond 5 years after passing out to even get in the top ten HSS transfer list drivers. Drivers with less than three years experience are going over to the HSS side now.

There has even been expressions of interests invited for drivers with less then two years experience to sign up for transfer to the HSS.

Hence the need to backfil.

NX

That is true but I think Paddington still has a huge list for HSS I may be wrong but as 455 drivers mentions Crossrail may change things a lot!

I would be very surprised if West gets kept in next franchise..

455driver

Veteran Member
That is true but I think Paddington still has a huge list for HSS I may be wrong but as 455 drivers mentions Crossrail may change things a lot!

I would be very surprised if West gets kept in next franchise..

If rumours are true then drivers at a certain West depot will be learning some pointy nosed traction in a few years time!
They already have an 'all traction' clause so cant refuse even if they wanted too.

It was only certain HS depots which had the under 2 years agreement.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
If rumours are true then drivers at a certain West depot will be learning some pointy nosed traction in a few years time!
They already have an 'all traction' clause so cant refuse even if they wanted too.

Yep one I'm interested in :lol:

oxoneil

So what is it about HSS that people don't like? I watch them go past while I'm walking the dogs and just think "lucky sods".

irish_rail

Established Member

Only thing with West blokes learning HSTs is where is the work? Hardly enough HST work to go round out west as it is, makes no sense for West drivers to learn HSTs as there wouldnt be enough jobs for them to keep up their competence...
Only depot where I can see some advantage would be at Bristol where they could perhaps learn IEPs.

No point training up loads of guys on a traction type that will be withdrawn in next three years on most routes.....

455driver

Veteran Member
So what is it about HSS that people don't like? I watch them go past while I'm walking the dogs and just think "lucky sods".
A lot of West drivers are happy plodding around on units and have no interest in learning anything new, especially something so different driving wise.

Termy

I still hold hope that whenever I see that little email icon pop up on my phone that it'll be an invitation to Stage Two assessments. Hopefully it will happen one day. :3

arestia

Finally got my DM interview for the Paddington role - Any hints or tips from anyone who has already had their Interview please... Thanks

Greg1205

Had mine last week. Lots of questions pretty much the same as structured interview we had at the end of second stage assessment. I was nervous, but enjoyed it, very friendly.
Good luck!

JN114

Established Member
After 9 month wait got my final interview invite aswell, for Next Week! Any preparation tips?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
You seem to forget that once IEPs kick in, the HSTs will then come off services to Bristol & Wales, that means that there will be a surplus of HSTs.

From rumours & they are only that at the current time, it is proposed that the Cotswolds services will be HST operated as its doubtful the the bi-modes will be suitable for the Golden Valley & Evesham line, plus the FGW WoE will be enhanced to hourly throughout from Plymouth & ½ hourly from Exeter, that means they will need extra HST trained drivers to cope with that.

Greg1205

Yeah, got an email that there are not any vacancies at the moment, but they would put me on hold as I had passed it. I also had to wait 9 months. So fingers crossed:)

Johncleesefan

I found the dm interview to be more relaxed than the structured. That doesnt mean its any easier tho. Definitely do your homework on the company like ceo. Stations and even revenue. Also what experiences you have that are relatable.

Anyone in the talent pool heard anything since the last email saying there are courses early next year?

VW

Haven't heard anything yet. Looks like a few people have had their DM interview recently for Paddington so I take it there will be vacancies in 2015. Hopefully people on Hold will not be forgotten or put to the back of the queue.

arestia

Thanks for tips and help guys, been doing my research on FGW.. How long does the Interview last..? and will I be required to do anything else on the day...? :)

oxoneil

Thanks for tips and help guys, been doing my research on FGW.. How long does the Interview last..? and will I be required to do anything else on the day...? :)

Mine was about an hour and, no, nothing else (except a huge sigh of relief when you walk out the door) :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I found the dm interview to be more relaxed than the structured. That doesnt mean its any easier tho. Definitely do your homework on the company like ceo. Stations and even revenue. Also what experiences you have that are relatable.

Anyone in the talent pool heard anything since the last email saying there are courses early next year?

No nothing (not expecting anything either off the back of the content of the email you're referring to).

Johncleesefan

Wheres all the optimism gone. Im still expecting to hear something soon as I have been told I will. Just need a little patience. Have been in the running a year already. Not gona let go of the dream just uet I dont think

oxoneil

Wheres all the optimism gone. Im still expecting to hear something soon as I have been told I will. Just need a little patience. Have been in the running a year already. Not gona let go of the dream just uet I dont think

No I just meant I don't expect to hear anything before January not that I don't think I'll ever hear anything.

arestia

Had my interview yesterday.. think it went really well..i did ask when next course is and they mentioned Jan 2015.. although they were trying to get one started in Oct next month but he wasn't too certain on that front.. thanks again for all help given in last few days.. it really helped :D

Lee Place

Anyone heard anything else about the FGW positions that were advertised in August/September last year. I was succesful at the DM interview stage but now waiting for confirmation about what vacancies are available.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

tlionhart

Anyone heard anything else about the FGW positions that were advertised in August/September last year. I was succesful at the DM interview stage but now waiting for confirmation about what vacancies are available.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

Pretty much as you sum up. When was your DM INTERVIEW and what depot did you apply for will also help?
It's a waiting game and like you, I applied last year in Aug. I'm sure we will hear something in the near future, well I'm going to remain optimistic about it. To the best of my knowledge, it's a very big recruitment drive with not all the numbers still yet met. Hence the current on going recruitment for certain depots on the network. Also the courses are running behind their planned schedule (no pun intended) so it's a case of waiting for other candidates to progress/ complete their training. Which should be around now. Hang in there I'm sure they will be in touch soon! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.