• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

It is, but the longer I go without the call the more I think it's not goin to happen for me. C'est la vie, but I wish all the best for everyone else!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oxoneil

You must be psychic mate just had a call medical Monday . No confirmed start date hopefully in June. Here we go again

Ha ha amazing, great news.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Lucky boy.
It's today, they're gonna phone today, I know it :)

Ah well, there's always tomorrow.
Ah well, there's always tomorrow.

Or next week :lol:

Termy

I find it rather amusing that in the time it's taken First Great Western's recruitment team to organise stuff (I haven't received any email from them at all since LAST April), I've gone through the entire recruitment path with another employer in a different industry who I'd expect their procedures to take significantly longer.
But needless to say, I'll be retracting my application. I found the perfect career for me now. ^_^ Good luck, everyone else still in the running!

Quickthorn

FGW now advertising internally for gloucester and westbury yet again only for possible vacancies subject to business requirements

Understand next west course is may so if like me you haven't heard seems you won't be on it however more to come

More interviews to come as well so the drive is far from over

Hi ml,

Are these for trainee drivers ?

spikesdad

FGW now advertising internally for gloucester and westbury yet again only for possible vacancies subject to business requirements

Understand next west course is may so if like me you haven't heard seems you won't be on it however more to come

More interviews to come as well so the drive is far from over

This sucks! The uncertainty surrounding this whole process is agony. I've gone from thinking that I'd made it and just waiting for a start date to now feeling I'm nowhere near being offered a position.
The fact that they're readvertising internally makes me think they haven't got what they're actually looking for in the 'talent pool'.
Please excuse my negative vibes but I'm sure many are feeling the same stresses this situation causes at home.
Still....... The waiting continues and I'll carry on thinking 'this is the call!!' everytime my phone rings!!!!

spikesdad

Doesn't help I'm desperate to get out of my current job so it genuinely can't come soon enough.
Good things come to those who wait........:)

oxoneil

Still convinced that a lack of driving instructors is a big factor in this. If people are taking forever to get signed off there's little chance they'd want a whole new bunch sitting waiting to get going post classroom phase.

Mikey5519

I'm starting to worry now as my first assessment runs out soon and I can't see them just putting me through another assessment on my own.

I'm worried that they will let it expire and not let me retake it until they have more candidates to sit one.

Does anyone know how it works?

Maybe

I'm in the same boat as you pal, I sat my first stage in April 2013. Basically the pass results last for 3 years, and they have to be valid for your first day of training.

So in a nutshell you have to start before June 2016

Mikey5519

Oh really? I thought it was 3 years but only 2 years with FGW? That is what I have been told anyway

455driver

Veteran Member
It can be up to 5 years (subject to no significant changes in your life) but TOCs are free to set a shorter period.

oxoneil

From what I heard from someone just in training there never was a May course, next was going to be (note I didn't say "is") in June.

So it seems that what I heard was correct, there is no May course unless it's full of people who don't come on here but I think we'd have heard about it anyway if that was the case.

There's barely a day goes by without someone where I work asking me "have you heard yet" and it's really hard to explain why not, I'm sure some people think I've made the whole thing up lol.

d_kingscott

I feel for you your in a talent pool for THREE companies no?

Yes just 3, started the process in September 2013... nearly a year waiting for the other 2... It's been very difficult to concentrate at work when you're constantly waiting for a phone call, email or letter to come through the post :oops:

fgr fgw

Im back on Tuesday for second medical there was a discrepancy on the first i needed a blood test for. All results now ok so hoping to but then I've had a few knockbacks over the last eighteen months so even now not counting my chickens

skjonesfamily

So it seems that what I heard was correct, there is no May course unless it's full of people who don't come on here but I think we'd have heard about it anyway if that was the case.

There's barely a day goes by without someone where I work asking me "have you heard yet" and it's really hard to explain why not, I'm sure some people think I've made the whole thing up lol.

There is definetly a May course on the 25th because im on it for gloucester Depo, that is providing my urine test comes back clear next week which it will as i dont do drugs or anything.
Thats this week I mean bloody bank holiday i thought it was sunday today lol

Status
Not open for further replies.