• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spikesdad

So it's almost 3 months since any contact so I'm expecting a random email soon!!

Any of the guys who are in the middle or nearing the end of their courses have any idea of future plans??

Someone somewhere must know something!!!

john1003

Well Ive been lurking here for quite awhile now and I cant watch here in silence any longer for you guys waiting to hear from GWR. Dont lose hope, like you guys my DMI was in June of 2014 and was put on the talent pool about a week later after that. Waited for about 6 mos to get called in and nothing happening so I kinda made my own destiny and applied for a different position to which again I was successful and kept my head down and worked my ass of while waiting for an internal vacancy on the driver side. to make a long story short I was just offered a trainee driving job and have my medical assessment next week. Fingers crossed. Dont worry guys the job is not in Oxford but in London.

Last edited:

oxoneil

Well Ive been lurking here for quite awhile now and I cant watch here in silence any longer for you guys waiting to hear from GWR. Dont lose hope, like you guys my DMI was in June of 2014 and was put on the talent pool about a week later after that. Waited for about 6 mos to get called in and nothing happening so I kinda made my own destiny and applied for a different position to which again I was successful and kept my head down and worked my ass of while waiting for an internal vacancy on the driver side. to make a long story short I was just offered a trainee driving job and have my medical assessment next week. Fingers crossed. Dont worry guys the job is not in Oxford but in London.

Why did you edit the rumour part out lol? TBH, it's probably for the best that you did anyway. I'm hearing various things but nothing concrete, on the face of it things sound quite hopeful but then again when there's no definite plan it's all a bit "fluid" shall we say.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Late winter /early spring, April and now May/June, all estimates of when courses will start up again, the never ending tunnel of recruitment lol. I realise it's the rail industry and it's notoriously slow from what everyone says but in June it'll be 2 years since I had my interview and that's slow by anyone's standards.

Not going to give up though, there's still hope :)

oxoneil

So what's the longest anyone has been in the talent pool and eventually been employed?

I've been contemplating emailing recruitment again asking for an update but deep down I know I'll just receive the same answer I've received for the last 18 months.

I can't believe it's gone on for this long and no one has been trained for Oxford in so long. Quite depressing this whole waiting lark.

spikesdad

1 step ahead of you!!
Sent a (******ed off) email yesterday to HR, I'm eagerly waiting for a reply!!

oxoneil

1 step ahead of you!!
Sent a (******ed off) email yesterday to HR, I'm eagerly waiting for a reply!!

Ah right that should be interesting. I actually had an email open last week but just couldn't think of a way of asking what I wanted to know in such a way as to elicit an answer which I haven't had before. In the end I didn't send anything.

spikesdad

To be honest, at least if they told me where to go I'd know where I stand - which would be the first time for 2 and a half years of communication with them!!
I stand by my statement that the handling of the process has been poor, I've expressed that eloquently but clearly in my correspondence to them.

Last edited:

Welshie1968

Hi,
I'm new to all this so please be gentle. ;)

I was wondering if the link could be reposted?
I've been on the fgw website and can't find anything for trainee drivers.

Would I even get a look in living in slough?

tlionhart

Hi Welshie
The thread is very old! If your looking for a job with GWR then keep an eye out on the GWR jobs page by checking it often.

You would get a look in if you live in Slough. (If they were happy with everything else on your application. Job history, etc)

You would be applicable for Paddington and Reading. When making a choice think of convenience than journey times. (Must get to work in an hour)
I'd say Reading is the ideal one for you.

SPADTrap

Established Member
To be honest, at least if they told me where to go I'd know where I stand - which would be the first time for 2 and a half years of communication with them!!
I stand by my statement that the handling of the process has been poor, I've expressed that eloquently but clearly in my correspondence to them.

Indeed it has been poor, it often takes a long time. Eagerly await your no doubt equally as eleoquent thanks but no thanks after two years wait reply? Don't chuck it away.

Amex88

I've also been waiting with GWR for nearly two years. It'll be 2 years in April since my interview. I keep getting told the same thing. No course dates, they were waiting a business plan. It's a very long time. And seeing as though I already work for them, I thought it may have happened by now. However I have applied for a couple other trainee driver roles. And still I'm waiting for them also.

oxoneil

This is from the Chiltern depot driver thread;

"Chiltern is interested in hearing from qualified drivers so I imagine they are interested in quite a few of the ex-coal folk who are being made redundant."

I've done some searching but can't see anything about job losses but, if this is the case, I'm wondering if this is why we're not hearing anything. Maybe they'd prefer to take on already qualified drivers???

Nuttytoffee

PHP:
This is from the Chiltern depot driver thread;

"Chiltern is interested in hearing from qualified drivers so I imagine they are interested in quite a few of the ex-coal folk who are being made redundant."

I've done some searching but can't see anything about job losses but, if this is the case, I'm wondering if this is why we're not hearing anything. Maybe they'd prefer to take on already qualified drivers???

They don't seem to have taken on any qualifieds either to be honest. There are a lot of factors to take into account at the moment when it comes to recruitment. Initially the company were swamped with new entrants and didn't have the instructors or managers to train and pass the trainees out. They have caught up now but there is the new electric trains and all the training/passing out that entails looming on the horizon.....not helped by the delay in getting the wires up. We are also in the middle of rest day working ban which once again muddies the waters, then there is Oxford which is undergoing (though delayed again!) a transformation of the station and depot. The depot building is only temporary and being driven by Chiltern which may tell its own story!
There are trainees around as I have had a few asking to route learn and there is to be 12 new drivers at Oxford according to those in the know. Maybe you hopefuls will hear more in the new financial year? There are a few retiring and leaving so this in turn will create more vacancies.

oxoneil

PHP:

They don't seem to have taken on any qualifieds either to be honest. There are a lot of factors to take into account at the moment when it comes to recruitment. Initially the company were swamped with new entrants and didn't have the instructors or managers to train and pass the trainees out. They have caught up now but there is the new electric trains and all the training/passing out that entails looming on the horizon.....not helped by the delay in getting the wires up. We are also in the middle of rest day working ban which once again muddies the waters, then there is Oxford which is undergoing (though delayed again!) a transformation of the station and depot. The depot building is only temporary and being driven by Chiltern which may tell its own story!
There are trainees around as I have had a few asking to route learn and there is to be 12 new drivers at Oxford according to those in the know. Maybe you hopefuls will hear more in the new financial year? There are a few retiring and leaving so this in turn will create more vacancies.

Nice, thanks for posting. New point to focus on then, new financial year. I wish the recruitment people would just have a crumb of empathy for the people who've been waiting for so long and give us an official update, it's been ages since they told me anything. Not given up just yet.

oxoneil

I read elsewhere that GWR are advertising internally for trainee drivers which doesn't bode well for us still on hold. I also read that there were drivers sitting around doing nothing which again doesn't bode well and makes me wonder why they're advertising. It was described as being "in LTV land" so does anyone on the inside have any knowledge of which depots they mentioned? (I know where the LTV depots are btw that's not what I'm asking).

Last edited:

_ollie_

I read elsewhere that GWR are advertising internally for trainee drivers which doesn't bode well for us still on hold. I also read that there were drivers sitting around doing nothing which again doesn't bode well and makes me wonder why they're advertising. It was described as being "in LTV land" so does anyone on the inside have any knowledge of which depots they mentioned? (I know where the LTV depots are btw that's not what I'm asking).

Paddington, Reading and Oxford - the internal vacancy does still refer to a talent pool though, so it's no guarantee of progress. But I guess it's still a positive sign of some form of progress being made.

oxoneil

Ha ha well this person (not me) doesn't think so, this is their opinion (not mine);

"For "Talent Pool" read "Pr!ck Tease". Anyone waiting in their talent pool has got more chance of being selected to fly NASA's next rocket"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.