• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim

cheers for posting that. I was starting to get a little down hearted. Im guessing it depends on how the interviews are going too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daddy_badger

I had a response the same as that and about 4 weeks after that I got an invite to stage 1

just checked it was actually 7 weeks after I got the invite and a further 2 weeks before I attended stage 1

Last edited:

Anthonyekwe

Hey I'm in your boat and got that same email but Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but with everyone having a start date at the beginning of july I can safely say that if they have not contacted you to do at least stage 1 by now unless someone drops out you have not been successful

carriageline

Established Member
Hey I'm in your boat and got that same email but Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but with everyone having a start date at the beginning of july I can safely say that if they have not contacted you to do at least stage 1 by now unless someone drops out you have not been successful

I would defo agree, but I email I saw in here recently said if you unsuccessful, you would know by now.

Maybe they will still consider people for later start dates?

Pilgrim

You're a ray of sunshine :D

I must admit I have thought the same but can hope that they are running more than one course as they need so many drivers. With the electrification between Bristol and Paddington there is a lot of work coming up.

carlejo

I don't know where people get the figures but I have seen on this forum that FGW will need between 400-700 drivers over next 4 years........ just keep believing, like we all are :D

Brunel

Wouldn't dream of getting anyone's hopes up, but they are running courses all year. July course definitely will not be the last intake!

reapz

Railway hr's are not that organised they do not know when drivers are going to retire, 50 people could finish next month and they would have to recruit more.

All you can safely say about it is that its an ongoing process.The bigger question is will first group go bust? now there credit rating has been slashed and they are merging shares.....

The company is in trouble but this does not effect recruitment as with all rail franchises they need people to run it!

455driver

Veteran Member

Your proof for this statement is exactly?

FGW have a very long list of names to get through, they will start at the top, work their way down until they have had enough successful candidates for a few courses, wait a while and then carry on down the list until the next few courses are filled etc.

If you have not been contacted yet it just means they have not got to your application yet!
Or do you know 100% how rail recruitment works?

mindthedoors

Just received this:

Thanks for applying for a Trainee Train Driver position with First Great Western.

Your application has not been forgotten. We received an extremely high volume of applications which we will continue to process. Training courses for successful applicants are scheduled to start throughout the next 12 months. Once your application has been processed we will be in touch.

In the meantime, if you have any questions then please contact us by return email.

Kind regards
FirstGroup Resourcing

Be patient.

davidbarker09

Well i went to bristol on the 3RD just got a call inviting me back for stage 2 on the 24th :D

Fingers crossed,

Any one else heard back yet? :D:D:D

FGW_DID

Established Member
Please note where this e mail originated from - First GROUP resourcing! These people deal with all job apps for ALL of the groups' companies so you have to appreciate the enormous task of sifting through every application.

As for FGW itself, the 'team' concerned with assessments etc is very small and it's not just Drivers assessments they deal with, it's train managers, conductors, dispatch staff etc

I appreciate it doesn't help when you are told at the end of an interview or assessment, you'll hear within 1-2 weeks and are still hanging on 4-5 weeks later but just please be patient.

As for the recruitment website, I've been in my current job since the start of the year, my profile still says 'invited to medical' and that was December!

Anthonyekwe

This is a response to 455driver if you see my post I put up I'm talking about the course in July and I stand by what I say that if you have not been contacted by now to do stage 1 as I said its highly unlikely your going to starting in july. It did not say nothing about the rest of the year.

P.s I don't know 100% how rail recruitment works but I work for FCC and was able to ask someone in HR who knows a little bit more.

TPA

For those still waiting (me included) I only got the latest update email 10 mins ago so if you haven't had the one from HR then don't worry it will be on its way hopefully (I am not an expert, know nobody in HR and have been known to be 100% optimistic).

455driver

Veteran Member
This is a response to 455driver if you see my post I put up I'm talking about the course in July and I stand by what I say that if you have not been contacted by now to do stage 1 as I said its highly unlikely your going to starting in july. It did not say nothing about the rest of the year.

P.s I don't know 100% how rail recruitment works but I work for FCC and was able to ask someone in HR who knows a little bit more.

So you are commenting on one drivers course starting in July, so that is 12 trainee positions then! :roll:

What about the other 5 courses this year starting after that then?

stevienash

Yup ive just had the same email as above,

just got to be patient sounds like it could be a long process could be next month or 6 months
Be patient.[/QUOTE]

Puremetal84

I just sat the 2nd stage at Reading. Both the reaction test and interview weren't horrendous. You certainly can't gauge anything from the person about how you've done. Just got to wait and see now.

Trainer74

Received this email this morning!
Thanks for applying for a Trainee Train Driver position with First GreatWestern.

Your application has not been forgotten. We received an extremely highvolume of applications which we will continue to process. Training courses
for successful applicants are scheduled to start throughout the next 12
months. Once your application has been processed we will be in touch.

I did my Stage 1 last year with FCC past that, passed Stage 2 also, but didn't get an interview with station manager. Wondering wether distance is a big issue even thou I said I would move and also my FT job at mo I only have to give a weeks notice. I can't commit anymore so am in lingo what to do next!
Maybe it's not meant to be!

Trainer74

cheers for posting that. I was starting to get a little down hearted. Im guessing it depends on how the interviews are going too.

Fgw trainee driver jobs
Received this email this morning!
Thanks for applying for a Trainee Train Driver position with First GreatWestern.

Your application has not been forgotten. We received an extremely highvolume of applications which we will continue to process. Training courses
for successful applicants are scheduled to start throughout the next 12
months. Once your application has been processed we will be in touch.

I did my Stage 1 last year with FCC past that, passed Stage 2 also, but didn't get an interview with station manager. Wondering wether distance is a big issue even thou I said I would move and also my FT job at mo I only have to give a weeks notice. I can't commit anymore so am in lingo what to do next!
Maybe it's not meant to be!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hey I'm in your boat and got that same email but Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but with everyone having a start date at the beginning of july I can safely say that if they have not contacted you to do at least stage 1 by now unless someone drops out you have not

Last edited:

KT530

I just sat the 2nd stage at Reading. Both the reaction test and interview weren't horrendous. You certainly can't gauge anything from the person about how you've done. Just got to wait and see now.

Best of luck Puremetal84

Would you mind doing another post, as I would like to PM you, but can't until you've made 5 posts?

anthony263

Established Member
I missed 2 calls today from an 'unknown number' am i being too optimistic - or was your call from the same?

Funnily enough I checked my parents house phone when I got back from swansea this afternoon although no new messages and nothing on my account on first groups careers page, it is still showing asessment 3.6.2013 08:45.

I will be at home most of the day tommorow apart from having to go to my local job centre @ 1520 although my parents will be home.

davidbarker09

I missed 2 calls today from an 'unknown number' am i being too optimistic - or was your call from the same?

Mine was from a "unknown number" yes, however pretty sure if you had missed there call they would have either emailed you? or left some sort of voice mail? instead of calling twice?thats my thoughts on it? may be completely wrong..

also depends what sort of time it was? After 5pm i wouldnt of thought so? :idea:

rkamwendo

What questions did they ask you... I'm going Reading 2moro

wanabedriver

HI Guys,

Just a shout out to see if anyone knows if FGW will advertise again this year for trainee drivers. I failed the managers interview and feel really gutted having started the process last August, passing assessments in March and recently failing to jump the last hurdle.

Appreciate any replies and good luck to those still in with a chance

charlie873

I wish FGW would let me know the results of my first stage tests one way or the other. I called the opc and they won't tell me, apparently i have to ask FGW. So glad I paid all that money to get there and sit the tests and they haven't even the decency to let me know my results.

Status
Not open for further replies.