• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ultra4

This thread has gone really quiet recently.
Who is down for the course starting on 02.06.14 ?

Covo23

I had my DMI for Reading in March after it was postponed because of floods, they rang me to tell me I was successful but there were currently no spaces so I am on hold. So hopefully a space will become available soon.

arestia

I'm still waiting for my interview for Paddington, applied for Kings Cross and had my application turned down, thought it odd as no different from paddington application....

Pgb

I had my DMI for Reading in March after it was postponed because of floods, they rang me to tell me I was successful but there were currently no spaces so I am on hold. So hopefully a space will become available soon.

Hi Covo23

Congrats on passing. I had mine last week, how long after did they contact you?

james956

I'm starting training on the 5th of may, contract has been signed and uniform ordered! Is anyone else on here on the same course??

Maybe

This on hold stuff really does my head in. Surely a driver manager has something more productive to do with their time than conduct interviews for jobs that don't exist. Anyway I hope those on hold find the wait is worthwhile and congratulate you.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This thread has gone really quiet recently.
Who is down for the course starting on 02.06.14 ?

What depot is this for out of interest?

Covo23

Hi Covo23

Congrats on passing. I had mine last week, how long after did they contact you?

Hi,
I was notified 3 days after my interview, but told that I will be on hold until they find a space

EdZ

Just got a "we're busy reviewing applicants, but you're still in the recruitment pipeline" email.

skjonesfamily

Can any one help me please? I have my stage two assessment and MMI structured interview next week and as some of you on this thread have already had one and passed, could any of you explain what actual happens and what is needed for you to get a pass. For example is there any specific things you need to include in your responses to the question they ask? and what are the questions likely to be?

JN114

Established Member
i dont seem to be able to see any trainee vacancies on the first great western site. do you know where they are

5th of May last year...
Can any one help me please? I have my stage two assessment and MMI structured interview next week and as some of you on this thread have already had one and passed, could any of you explain what actual happens and what is needed for you to get a pass. For example is there any specific things you need to include in your responses to the question they ask? and what are the questions likely to be?

It's all explained in the practice materials FGW send you - When I passed mine I didn't have any special strategy or try to mention certain things. I just answered the questions honestly and to the best of my knowledge. The questions asked are tailored to the individual based a lot on what you answered on the questionnaire given to you at the start of the day.

skjonesfamily

5th of May last year...

It's all explained in the practice materials FGW send you - When I passed mine I didn't have any special strategy or try to mention certain things. I just answered the questions honestly and to the best of my knowledge. The questions asked are tailored to the individual based a lot on what you answered on the questionnaire given to you at the start of the day.

Thanks for the reply, I just wondered if a lot of the answers they would be looking for would be specific to the role a Train driver like safety, concentration and so on. Thanks for your help.

Thekopno1

Another Paddington Depot applicant waiting for a DM date here. Passed stage 2 in late December (and got the results in under a week, which got my hopes up for a speedy turnaround), but I haven't heard a peep for the last two months. The applications contact phone number is just a "leave your name and we'll get back to you" line, but I'll report back if I actually hear anything from them.

Hi I passed in December and called HR last week about padding ton line manager interview . She said because of the large number of applicators and all that, not much help. Then got a email same day saying they have been unable to process application any further as yet but assure its still being considered for these location and our talent pool. As soon as we have dates we will contact you. This may take some time!
I complained and said I need to make a career change and need to know what's going on, didn't get an answer. Got fed up with this so have got myself another job. Good luck with waiting to all , could be next year!

455driver

Veteran Member
I complained and said I need to make a career change and need to know what's going on, didn't get an answer. Got fed up with this so have got myself another job. Good luck with waiting to all , could be next year!

This probably tells them all they need to know about your attitude to life, so I dont think you will be progressed any further. ;)
What exactly did you complain about?

Rail recruitment is slow and if you expect to just walk into the job then you are in for a nasty surprise, I know a qualified driver (excellent record) who applied to move TOCs and it took 15 months from him applying to starting work there, trainee positions can be even longer.

Thekopno1

This probably tells them all they need to know about your attitude to life, so I dont think you will be progressed any further. ;)
What exactly did you complain about?

Rail recruitment is slow and if you expect to just walk into the job then you are in for a nasty surprise, I know a qualified driver (excellent record) who applied to move TOCs and it took 15 months from him applying to starting work there, trainee positions can be even longer.

One year of wasting my
Time that's what!

455driver

Veteran Member
Only one year? Pah thats nothing in the grand scheme of things! :roll:

Are you seriously saying that a year ago you applied to be a trainee driver and then basically just sat back, waited and didnt look for other employment in the meantime?

JN114

Established Member
It's a tough part of the process but waiting around and being patient is part of the job we've applied for.

I was made redundant in August, a non-rail company I'd worked for for 4 years. That was my catalyst to get myself a long-term career in the railway. After unsuccessfully applying for CSA jobs in a couple of places I saw the ad for trainee drivers at FGW and applied. 6 Months and 2 temporary jobs later I've passed all the assessments and MMI and am waiting for DM Interview date to come up. I got the email a week or so ago about large volume of applicants, and took it as encouragement that my patience is justified. These things take time, just need to sit tight.

oxoneil

Ah right I think I'm getting it now, essentially we haven't applied for a specific vacancy as such, we're just getting ourselves into a position that when vacancies do arise they have people they can approach as they know they have passed all the selection criteria hence the amount of time the process takes. Is that a fair reflection of how it works?

ultra4

I finally got the job as trainee train driver after lengthy and challenging selection process.
May I take this opportunity to thank you all for help and support during past 7 months.
My dream job is within the reach now. Although lets don't forget, 12mths course will be intensive and demanding.
THANK YOU ALL!

retraj

hi all, had my DM interview for paddington 7 may, sitting waiting for responce :)
btw applied last september. Long waiting game, but for work of your life is worth to wait.
Thank you for attending the selection session for Trainee Train Driver with First Great Western.

Unfortunately on this occasion the quality of candidates has been high and this position has been filled by another individual.

Your performance at the interview was to a high standard and therefore we would like to keep your application on hold.

i received today morning, literally saying i failed?

tlionhart

You passed the interview but on hold. I got the same email a few months back, so did a few others. It will be valid until next year. So if places become available at Paddington then you'll be called for a medical. I thought I failed too so emailed for feedback. This is when the email was re-worded by the HR team.

Status
Not open for further replies.