• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Rather than sit behind your computer monitor and become one of those keyboard ninjas, it would be helpful if you could highlight the bit that's inccorrect rather than generalise everything I've written. It would be helpful.

I have already explained above and would not have an issue correcting you face to face, please do bring that attitude to your interview you will do well fella really well

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tlionhart

I have already explained above and would not have an issue correcting you face to face, please do bring that attitude to your interview you will do well fella really well

What I struggle to understand from you is that you've only been doing the job around a year. Your either nearly qualified or newly qualified by now? I just hope your only like this on a forum and not at work. So far you've been nothing but arrogant, obnoxious and rude towards me. I interpret your other posts as being cocky. You should be more respectful and as your now an employee of theirs more professional. You didn't need to make a sweeping statement like that!

I'm not going to turn this thread into a battle ground so any personal/rude comments will be ignored. Your either going to answer my question minus the sarcastic response or not bother at all?!

Last edited:

Mintona

Established Member

You don't really know what's going on, and the other poster hasn't exactly said anything controversial or wrong so I don't know why you are snapping at him. You seem to be very negative towards prospective trainees, and I don't really understand why. They are merely coming up with logical suggestions as to what is happening, and whether intentional or not, you are coming across as quite rude.

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
What I struggle to understand from you is that you've only been doing the job around a year. Your either nearly qualified or newly qualified by now? I just hope your only like this on a forum and not at work. So far you've been nothing but arrogant, obnoxious and rude towards me. I interpret your other posts as being cocky. You should be more respectful and as your now an employee of theirs more professional. You didn't need to make a sweeping statement like that!

I'm not going to turn this thread into a battle ground so any personal/rude comments will be ignored. Your either going to answer my question minus the sarcastic response or not bother at all?!

Please see previous post if you have that attitude then please do bring it to your interview as to arrogant and rude I think you will find that it was not me your "keyboard ninja " comment was ridiculous..

Your interpretation is indicative of your own previous posts
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You don't really know what's going on, and the other poster hasn't exactly said anything controversial or wrong so I don't know why you are snapping at him. You seem to be very negative towards prospective trainees, and I don't really understand why. They are merely coming up with logical suggestions as to what is happening, and whether intentional or not, you are coming across as quite rude.

I know more than what this prospective trainee is spouting as I have repeatedly said so!! then not taking into account what has been said by even more experienced people than me on here and replying with attitude will evoke a response

Do you care to share your wisdom on the matter??

Exactly I've been through the process and the mill I know what I'm talking about when it comes to this process you don't

For the second time read my previous reply to you before you put your ridiculous comment on

And another thing I am not negative to prospective Trainees I have helped others on here and elsewhere who can vouch for that have asked for advice as others have helped me when I went through it

For all the reasons I and others have posted is why there is a delay in recruitment.. These are genuine reasons and will be part of an ever changing landscape and I know it is nothing short of frustrating but it is what it is..
I have said many times before it is worth all the pain to get there

Last edited:

Maybe

I don't see what the big problem is!

People on here seem to get so easily offended by comments. Trust me if you find some of the comments on the thread offensive and rude, then perhaps the railway isn't for you.

Although I'm far from a old hand I have worked as a train guard for the past ten years and some of the posts above would barely pass as general banter.

Secondly skinnydave has just been through the process and the people he will have come into contact with ie trainers,DTMS etc will probably have a fair idea of what's going on, so when Dave has been told THEIR opinion he has passed it on.

What would he have to gain by passing on false info or lying.

Thirdly 455 driver posted on here months back that there would be big hold ups due to union related matters. Until that gets sorted we will hear nothing.

In the past I have been as frustrated as anyone for numerous reasons, but the fact of the matter is, no matter how much bitching or temper tantrums we wanna throw, it's not going to change anything.

I think we should just appreciate that there are others that have either been through the process/going throught it or are already fully established drivers within the company that are willing to pass on their knowledge and information.

There is a saying "Every depot has one"

And it looks like there are a few on here that would fall into that category.

NX

The 50+ West guards from Bristol who had their day 1 assessments a few months ago are starting to be called for day 2 interviews starting next week.
The plan is for internal courses for this lot to start in March/April time.

NX

Driverb

The 50+ West guards from Bristol who had their day 1 assessments a few months ago are starting to be called for day 2 interviews starting next week.

NX

Are there different courses for internals ?

455driver

Veteran Member
can anyone shed any light on the Asleef issue?

Nothing too serious, just that a lot of current drivers have missing competencies (either traction, routes or both) for the link they are in, ASLEF just want FGW to catch up on it.

Driverb

Nothing too serious, just that a lot of current drivers have missing competencies (either traction, routes or both) for the link they are in, ASLEF just want FGW to catch up on it.

So is this why recruitment is on hold ?

455driver

Veteran Member
So is this why recruitment is on hold ?

Part of the reason, most depots are over compliment but because of the drivers lacking routes and/or traction they are still struggling to cover all the work so FGW need to sort these issues quickly.

Driverb

Part of the reason, most depots are over compliment but because of the drivers lacking routes and/or traction they are still struggling to cover all the work so FGW need to sort these issues quickly.

Cheers 455driver, just trying understand the wait. Hopefully things will become clearer in the new year. It's a Long road to recruitment in the rail industry.

oxoneil

NX

So, from the sound of this, there is the very real prospect of internal candidates, who haven't even finished the assessment & interview phase yet, to be starting training before externals who have been in the process for 12 to 18 months?

Is that what you are saying?

455driver

Veteran Member
So, from the sound of this, there is the very real prospect of internal candidates, who haven't even finished the assessment & interview phase yet, to be starting training before externals who have been in the process for 12 to 18 months?

Is that what you are saying?

There will probably be a mix!
Why does it have to be one or the other and never both?

oxoneil

There will probably be a mix!
Why does it have to be one or the other and never both?

Not sure if you're asking me but tbh I'd assumed they would take people in the order they had got to the end of the process in but maybe I was a bit naive in thinking it would be that way.

Driverb

I would of thought it would be who is in the talent pool awaiting medical to be next inline that seems logical......

oxoneil

I would of thought it would be who is in the talent pool awaiting medical to be next inline that seems logical......

TBH if I was an employer and I had a pool of people waiting to be trained I'd take the ones who I considered to have the most potential rather than sticking to some sort of chronological order.

I wonder how many people are currently "on hold"? I mean, we only hear about the ones who come on here, there must be loads more we don't know about and with about 12 on a course (going by what has been posted on here before), and the fact that there won't be vacancies at all depots the chances of being on the next one must be pretty slim.

Driverb

Yeah I understand what you mean, but we don't know what's going on or how there planning to recruit the next phase. I was told they were hoping to have courses starting in October 2014 but I'm presuming that never happened. So just need to wait and HOPE I hear something :|

tlionhart

Yeah I understand what you mean, but we don't know what's going on or how there planning to recruit the next phase. I was told they were hoping to have courses starting in October 2014 but I'm presuming that never happened. So just need to wait and HOPE I hear something :|

A few months back, my mate asked the trainers about the next start dates. The plan was to have 2 before Christmas. Obviously unlikely now. There's a post on here several pages back that has how many are waiting for the LTV depots.
From my interview I was told we would start in sept. Didn't happen and yes that was from an area manager. This is why I don't believe half of what is written on here. The information just seems to be incorrect all the time. Whether it's from area managers, instructors, friends in training or currently working for them, unions (they are all the same!) and even HR, it seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing? Hence why I've applied logic into this. We will hear something but will have to patiently wait...

oxoneil

So there's me (Oxford), tlionheart, Maybe (Bristol), Driverb, johncleesefan (Westbury), skjonesfamily (Gloucester) that I can think of off the top of my head...any more and where did you apply for initially?

Last edited:

Driverb

A few months back, my mate asked the trainers about the next start dates. The plan was to have 2 before Christmas. Obviously unlikely now. There's a post on here several pages back that has how many are waiting for the LTV depots.
From my interview I was told we would start in sept. Didn't happen and yes that was from an area manager. This is why I don't believe half of what is written on here. The information just seems to be incorrect all the time. Whether it's from area managers, instructors, friends in training or currently working for them, unions (they are all the same!) and even HR, it seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing? Hence why I've applied logic into this. We will hear something but will have to patiently wait...

What depot did you apply for?

Johncleesefan

Im down for westbury. I tend to take most said on here with a pinch of salt. I respect everyones comments and help but im just gona sit tight. Maybe im naive ;)

Driverb

Im down for westbury. I tend to take most said on here with a pinch of salt. I respect everyones comments and help but im just gona sit tight. Maybe im naive ;)

Best way to be.... No news is good news lol. What will be will be it's out of our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.