• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyJones

So apart from assumptions, has anyone actually been confirmed on the April course for Bristol/Gloucester yet - as in a contract being sent out in the post and not just a verbal or assumed offer with possible placement for that course?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tlionhart

FGW have just opened up trainee driver recruitment internally for a whole host of west depots confused... Exeter Penzance fratton and Swansea

That's really good news! Hopefully those still waiting to hear for a start date will hear something in the coming months :)

Johncleesefan

Afternoon all. Got a question regarding the welcome pack. The travel forms for residential travel. Is that it I'm getting the train to work only. Not the staff travel?

Trainer74

I start April the 6th still on cloud nine ??????. Had medical last week contract excepted today.

tlionhart

Anyone heard about a course in April ?

NX

I believe there's 2 separate courses in April.
One for western depots ( I know Johnclease is on that one. Think it's 17 april) and Reading/Paddington is 6th April. Im in the same position as Trainer74.

KT530

Afternoon all. Got a question regarding the welcome pack. The travel forms for residential travel. Is that it I'm getting the train to work only. Not the staff travel?

You get a Staff Travel Pass for any time use on FGW;
ATOC 'Priv' Card for 75% off most other TOCs;
FGW Weekend First Card for 6 journeys on FGW First Class
First Group Card - 10 'Boxes' for 48 hrs use any First Group TOC

From memory I think you fill in the residential travel form if you want free travel for your wife/partner or discounted travel for your kids etc

NX

April 13th for folk going to Gloucester, Bristol and Westbury.

Trainee drivers advertised internally this week for Swanesa (HSS), penzance, Fratton and Exeter...all West side.

"Talent pool Vacancies throughout 2015/16"

Surely there can't be many people left internally who want to or can apply !

NX

Johncleesefan

Contract came yesterday! So happy. Thanks to everyone who has posted and helped me along the journey. It's been a tough old ride but I have arrived at my destination in the clouds ??????

ultra4

Contract came yesterday! So happy. Thanks to everyone who has posted and helped me along the journey. It's been a tough old ride but I have arrived at my destination in the clouds ��

Well done mate and enjoy the training course! There is A LOT to take in :)

watts14

ive heard that already over 300 have applied for the internal vacancy at swansea alone. all after just 2 jobs

NX

Swansea is always going to get more applicants than other depots because it's straight on the HS, a little more pay, and the glamour of driving HSTS.

NX

NX

They've got serious issues with guards especially being the grade a very short time then moving onto driving, causing serious short staffing issues.

They've recently moved DMU Guards upto HST guards, but then seen the, apply and move onto to driving within 9-12 months, even less in some cases.

Nx

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Fair enough but then they shouldn't consider said guards if that's a problem for them

If lots of. Bristol guards have been successful seems likely they cant take all anytime soon as would lead to staffing issues like you say so people who have applied from further afield internally might actually have an advantage here

Can't stop them applying and not giving them fair consideration if they fit the bill they fit the bill but does lead to the knock on effect as mentioned.
GB Railfreight have a good idea with the 5 year programme starting off as an Assistant Train Manager then becoming a fully qualified driver after 5 year mark..
Maybe TOCs could consider something bespoke for a passenger operator which would manage the flow of staff.. Just an idea

Mightyirons77

That makes sense . I was told my interview was to a very high standard , when I was told I passed it . Oh well , it's an update at least .

Status
Not open for further replies.