• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey5519

To the guys that have said they have been put on a reserve list, are you internal candidates or external?

oxoneil

Good afternoon people . Just got an email from fgw stating I am now placed on a "reserve list " . Any others ??

Just seen the updates in the thread so checked my emails and I've had it too. So what does it mean? I'd much rather be on a main list and not a reserve but that's just my interpretation of what it means. I can only presume the people who have just started were never put on a reserve list as we never heard about it on here. In my mind they've selected who they want on imminent courses and we are reserves for that.

Maybe

I've got the same email, but if I'm honest think my application might expire shortly coming up to nearly 2 years since I sat my first assesment.

On the flip side another person I know who was in the same boat as me started on the course that has just started at Bristol who I went through the whole application process with, so he is going to give me any whispers of new courses etc for Bristol.

So should find out if I have fallen by the wayside.

To be honest got a lot of things planned for the next 6 months so i won't be too disappointed if I don't hear anything.

oxoneil

Does sound like something may be imminent or just wishful thinking

I would say that as there is a reserve list the there must be another list, call it the preferred list if you like. I wonder in what circumstances would you be called off the reserve list?

Toddy

Good afternoon people . Just got an email from fgw stating I am now placed on a "reserve list " . Any others ??

I am also a recipient of the "Reserve List" email, regarding Trainee Train Driver at Bristol.

I have been in contact With Mandy Thomas (HR Director) this morning, Im quoting from text conversation here.

Mandy Said she "sent the emails out to re-assure everyone, because of rumours and gossip. Also to clarify how people are offered. Its not based on length of time on the list."

Mandy then went on to say, "It Seems that whatever is sent out, some will read into it that is definitely not intended. We do not have confirmed numbers due to the bid for the franchise. Hence possible vacancies not definite."

So basically I think we will have more contact when the news from the franchise is in.

Fingers crossed it is soon!

If anyone wants to get in touch [email protected]

Im off to sleep now, two more night shifts ahead of me this week.

I just found this article from last year incase the above conversation worries you at all http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29565156

Toddy.

Last edited:

oxoneil

I am also a recipient of the "Reserve List" email, regarding Trainee Train Driver at Bristol.

I have been in contact With Mandy Thomas (HR Director) this morning, Im quoting from text conversation here.

Mandy Said she "sent the emails out to re-assure everyone, because of rumours and gossip. Also to clarify how people are offered. Its not based on length of time on the list."

Mandy then went on to say, "It Seems that whatever is sent out, some will read into it that is definitely not intended. We do not have confirmed numbers due to the bid for the franchise. Hence possible vacancies not definite."

So basically I think we will have more contact when the news from the franchise is in.

Fingers crossed it is soon!

If anyone wants to get in touch [email protected]

Im off to sleep now, two more night shifts ahead of me this week.

Toddy.

That's an interesting post, how did she react to you sending her a text? From my point of view all it has done is serve to sow further seeds of uncertainty as we now have a new phrase (reserve list) that I've never heard any applicant use before. I emailed back asking for clarity on a few points anyway.

Another factor for me is that on June 23rd it will be 12months since my DM interview so if I don't start before then this applies;

"If we find that we do not have the expected vacancies within the 12 months then unfortunately you would need to apply when we did advertise for further vacancies."

Last edited:

Maybe

To be honest she is just covering her own back and probably is sick of being inundated with emails etc, and being forced to recycle the same information.

Also I have found that whenever I have rang the main HR number I have always recieved contraditry information, so sending out a blanket email this way gives everyone the same information.

They are not going to say when courses are coming up etc as if one gets cancelled they will end up in the same boat again with people contacting her directly.

I would prefer more concrete information but Idoubt it will get happen unless I am contacted to be offered a role

oxoneil

To be honest she is just covering her own back and probably is sick of being inundated with emails etc, and being forced to recycle the same information.

Also I have found that whenever I have rang the main HR number I have always recieved contraditry information, so sending out a blanket email this way gives everyone the same information.

They are not going to say when courses are coming up etc as if one gets cancelled they will end up in the same boat again with people contacting her directly.

I would prefer more concrete information but I doubt it will get happen unless I am contacted to be offered a role

Ha ha, the irony being that the only time i ever email them is to seek clarity on an email they've sent me :D

I find it very hard to believe that if there was a course planned for June that they wouldn't know if it was definitely going ahead by now. They've already been directly awarded a further franchise extension so what uncertainty can there still be in their business plan?

Ah well, carry on waiting and hoping, I'm certainly not pulling out now.

oxoneil

Well maybe the finer points haven't been agreed but FGW will be running the Great Western line until post electrification etc that seems pretty certain from everything I've read.

skjonesfamily

I would say that as there is a reserve list the there must be another list, call it the preferred list if you like. I wonder in what circumstances would you be called off the reserve list?

I was told last July my interview was to a high standered and I am on hold waiting for confirmation on vacancies to arise in my chosen depo of Gloucester and still waiting, there was no mention of reserve, i think talent pool was mentioned, not sure if thats the same as reserve i would guess it was though. And i do believe that every body is placed on hold to begin with not a deffo list and a maybe list.

fgr fgw

Out of interest skjonesfamily did you receive an e mail . Not sure how many of us are awaiting gloucester

skjonesfamily

Out of interest skjonesfamily did you receive an e mail . Not sure how many of us are awaiting gloucester

Yeah just after I sent my last post the other day I checked my emails and found the reserve list email from a Mr Alex Skerten, also stating that people with the best interview scores are picked first and not first come first serve.

oxoneil

Another day goes by...

With the first course filled with 2013 applicants (?) due to start 13th April (?) perhaps news will come after then of the next west course

Hopefully franchise will be sorted soon the election could delay it at this rate

Today must be announcement day as FGW Twitter are making lots of comments this morning. Seems like it's the day of formally making it public that they have it for another 4 years.

Mikey5519

I got told they have it till 2019, possibly 2020.

Also got told that once the budget has been sorted next month we will find about how many courses there will be

broomster

I sat my final interview (for Bristol) on Friday and sadly I'm out.. I've been given some positive feedback to work on for the future, which I'm grateful for. Good luck to those remaining..

I was told that the people starting the course in May were at interview back in November/December - so even if you get through, expect a 6 month+ wait before your start date..

Has been a challenging two years since I applied, but I've met a lot of good people on the way and I see FGW as a very good employer - and hope to have the chance again in the future.

oxoneil

I sat my final interview (for Bristol) on Friday and sadly I'm out.. I've been given some positive feedback to work on for the future, which I'm grateful for. Good luck to those remaining..

I was told that the people starting the course in May were at interview back in November/December - so even if you get through, expect a 6 month+ wait before your start date..

Has been a challenging two years since I applied, but I've met a lot of good people on the way and I see FGW as a very good employer - and hope to have the chance again in the future.

Commiserations on that. Interesting they were talking about a May course but I also wonder if they really do know this or if it's conjecture on their part. Time will tell.

broomster

Sorry to hear

Take it your external? Did you apply back in 2013 then external recruitment was frozen is that right?

Yeah, external to FGW, though work elsewhere on the railway in a non safety critical role... My original application went in back in April 2013 ..

First I've heard of a May course for the west side

That's what I was told by the managers at the end of my interview when explaining what the next steps where, should I be successful...

A lot of people were having interviews last week surely this can't be going on forever as that's several months of interviewing

I think they're having to stagger the process to make sure they can actually bring people in - think the number of driver instructors/mentors is a limiting factor...

Btw if That was your first DM interview you will be fine next time I'm sure

I failed my first one passed my second one without feedback but I had a good idea of where I is didn't perform well on the first

I hope so, the feedback I was given was constructive, and makes sense in hindsight - so I know where I've got to work on my performance. What let me down was my examples - but now I know what type of question to expect, I can prepare for next time - and come up with different and improved examples....

I'm not writing it off as a loss, but as a learning process.. It's made me more determined to work harder next time - having had a taste of success :)

To those who are succesful, I hope to be working with you in the future :)

oxoneil

So has anyone worked out if being on a "reserve list" is no different to being "on hold"?

Barts76

Hi All,

I have recently applied for trainee train driver at exeter st davids, i applied on the 5th march, and i have my psychometric asessments next wednesday, i don't know how this compares in timescale to any others, but it seems pretty quick compared to some of the people i've spoken to, i'm an internal candidate, so i don't know if that makes any difference. it seems an awful lot to go through to just to get the opportunity to be thrown into a 'talent pool' for possible vacancies, and with what's happening to engineering, i don't know if they are going to get priority, still, i'm a 3rd of the way there, so i may as well carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.