• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Scott mac

If Glasgow was to get sold, would First look to sell both No.1 and No.2 or keep the bits they think will do well for them?

For the employees it's certainly potentially quite a worrying time, and I know personally how worrying it can be waiting to find out whether or not you're gonna have a job at the end of the process.
But who will buy first bus?stagecoach?they have been looking at arriva but since first are up for sale maybe stagecoach will look at some of it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I thought we’d already heard that NX had been to Caledonia, measuring up for carpet and curtains?

Indeed, albeit as it's not officially confirmed we should keep all doors open, hence why i initially mentioned "NX or Go-Ahead".

Perhaps RATP or ComfortDelgro too.

For an operation the size of Glasgow i'd find those less likely.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I suppose only time will tell but won’t other operators just run into the same problems First did? In the beginning they’ll get a lot of new stock and probably continue on with LEZ but then they’ll hit the same obstacles First did?

In an ideal world it would be a fresh start for bus users around the country with a new company. Unfortunately First have been guilty of lack of new stock. Who knows maybe a company like National Express could do it differently and better than First ever could. Not saying this would necessarily be a bad thing.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Indeed, albeit as it's not officially confirmed we should keep all doors open, hence why i initially mentioned "NX or Go-Ahead".

?? - so they can run Paris and Singapore/London - but not Glasgow ?

lastbus

Yes all just speculation and I guess we won’t hear anything until at least after coast Capital get the meeting they have requested. Either way a lot of uncertainty for staff atm.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Surprised the Trade Unions haven't been putting anything out regarding it. I would imagine they'll be jumping up and down trying to get some answers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Noticed quite an increase of deckers on the 3. Mainly B7TLs but B9TLs are also starting to make more of an appearance. Scoutstoun seem to have been given more B9TLs too not sure if that was for the 3.

Seems odd that the 3 is getting decker capacity as it along with the 2 share buses and its usually fully E300 operated. If that’s the case the 2 could be doing with deckers here and there. It doesn’t work as well being all single operated.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

route101

Established Member
Noticed quite an increase of deckers on the 3. Mainly B7TLs but B9TLs are also starting to make more of an appearance. Scoutstoun seem to have been given more B9TLs too not sure if that was for the 3.

Seems odd that the 3 is getting decker capacity as it along with the 2 share buses and its usually fully E300 operated. If that’s the case the 2 could be doing with deckers here and there. It doesn’t work as well being all single operated.

Not enough deckers to go around , the e30os came and thats why

route101

Established Member
LT02NWC on 31 today , when youve not been on it for a while , you notice the hard seats .

Nice to see deckers back on it , must of been an evaluation with singles on it .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It’s odd to think how much the fleet has changed even in the past few years. Routes which were predominantly trident operated are now seeing either new buses or refurbished B9TLs. Routes like the 61, 60 and 41 would never have seen B9TLs only tridents and B7TLs yet now 09 plates are very common on these routes.

The Parkhead/Caledonia fleet merge definitely has saw a real variety on all routes now. Would have been interesting if the E500s were still here because perhaps we’d have saw them on the 2 for which they were originally ordered for.

Wonder when we’ll see some more new stock to replace the remaining trident and B10BLEs/B7Ls.

route101

Established Member
It’s odd to think how much the fleet has changed even in the past few years. Routes which were predominantly trident operated are now seeing either new buses or refurbished B9TLs. Routes like the 61, 60 and 41 would never have seen B9TLs only tridents and B7TLs yet now 09 plates are very common on these routes.

The Parkhead/Caledonia fleet merge definitely has saw a real variety on all routes now. Would have been interesting if the E500s were still here because perhaps we’d have saw them on the 2 for which they were originally ordered for.

Wonder when we’ll see some more new stock to replace the remaining trident and B10BLEs/B7Ls.

Its merged to a degree , the e200mmcs 65 plates still stick to the 2 . I wonder if one day the drivers will get merged ,or maybe the Phead boys wont be happy about that ha

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Wonder when we’ll see some more new stock to replace the remaining trident and B10BLEs/B7Ls

I thought it was intimated that there would be another tranche of vehicles at the turn of the year? Mind you, FiG has had 150 new vehicles in a matter of months and there are other OpCos who are also waiting for new fleet so it may have to wait a little.

There could, of course, be some stop gap cascades to replace fleet, like B7RLEs sent north to oust older B10/B7L. That reminds me - which Welsh B7RLEs have arrived? Seem to recall 3 or 4 had arrived.

Bristol LH

I thought it was intimated that there would be another tranche of vehicles at the turn of the year? Mind you, FiG has had 150 new vehicles in a matter of months and there are other OpCos who are also waiting for new fleet so it may have to wait a little.

There could, of course, be some stop gap cascades to replace fleet, like B7RLEs sent north to oust older B10/B7L. That reminds me - which Welsh B7RLEs have arrived? Seem to recall 3 or 4 had arrived.
66718, 66733, 66944, 66945, 66953 and 66958

Last edited:

Albaman

Its merged to a degree , the e200mmcs 65 plates still stick to the 2 . I wonder if one day the drivers will get merged ,or maybe the Phead boys wont be happy about that ha

The comment regarding the Parkhead drivers who now work from Caledonia, prompts me to ask something that I have been curious about for sometime.

Within each First Glasgow depot is an agreement with the relevant Trade Union that drivers with longer service work shifts that have less unsocial hours ( for example not finishing around mid-night ) and within each depot are drivers allocated to a very limited number of routes? From my own experience travelling on mostly Blantyre or Caledonia/Scotstoun routes, the same drivers seem to appear regularly ( going by the " Driver " number on the ticket - I'm hopeless at faces ) .

Any thoughts/information would be appreciated.

lastbus

The comment regarding the Parkhead drivers who now work from Caledonia, prompts me to ask something that I have been curious about for sometime.

Within each First Glasgow depot is an agreement with the relevant Trade Union that drivers with longer service work shifts that have less unsocial hours ( for example not finishing around mid-night ) and within each depot are drivers allocated to a very limited number of routes? From my own experience travelling on mostly Blantyre or Caledonia/Scotstoun routes, the same drivers seem to appear regularly ( going by the " Driver " number on the ticket - I'm hopeless at faces ) .

Drivers pick shifts by seniority (length of service)

Bus Lightyear

route101

Established Member

31 , see regular drivers on it , usually older , bus i got in morning was same driver . Must have good pick or something . Is there beginner routes for new drivers that are easier ?