• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

lastbus

Some drivers want to be at work for 40hrs or they want paid for 40hrs? Those are 2 different things regarding being a First Bus Driver.

You miss the entire point here.

the very reason they do not have enough drivers is because most are sick of working long shifts and to many hours aside from people having to pay mortgages & car payments, the reason however they dont mind the longer hours is because it generally pays more.

A perfect scenario is reduced hours but increased pay, surely thats unquestionable.

It’s an unfathomable idea for many to grasp, I know, many drivers get into the swing of things and become oblivious, other than Knowing what there hourly rate is and that’s it, atm to get anywhere near a £30k annual salary, at £11ph your talking working 52.5 paid hours every week, that’s 6 days.

If you could earn the same amount for a maximum of 45hrs being at work, over 5 days, every week, why wouldn’t you, keep in mind that 52.5hrs is excluding break time.

Oh! and I can guarantee you if theres an acceleration of more people getting to pick a rota that generally signifies that they’ve moved up the hierarchy because drivers continue to leave.
Everyone gets to pick a rota now regardless of service. Starter rate if you have a licence already is £12ph now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Everyone gets to pick a rota now regardless of service. Starter rate if you have a licence already is £12ph now.
Which still falls short of the £12.35 rate they should give everyone, the £12.35 is soon to be reviewed potentially up to £13ph.

E.g. Two drivers given they may both have 10 years driving experience, one a new driver to the company on £12 and the other with 10 years service to the company on potentially £13ph?, you wont gain drivers under that arrangement.

The £4000 sign on bonus on offer speaks volume to the lack of interest in people working for the company.

The hierarchy structure based on seniority still lessons shift quality for those will less seniority, that’s not a sustainable approach.

First Glasgows current arrangements won’t cut it and won’t improve anything.

Last edited:

scotraildriver

Established Member
If I'm reading this correctly bus drivers get to "pick" their roster line based on seniority? I'm just curious as a train driver, as we all work the same roster, moving down a line each week meaning everyone does everything, regardless of seniority.

If I'm reading this correctly bus drivers get to "pick" their roster line based on seniority? I'm just curious as a train driver, as we all work the same roster, moving down a line each week meaning everyone does everything, regardless of seniority.
pretty much, most bus operators work in the same manner as yourself, everybody does there share of all routes and different shifts, First & McGills are different.

when drivers get to pick a line at first bus based on seniority for example it may be an 8 weeks line, they encircle those 8 weeks before going back and starting those same 8 weeks over again, it’s similar to a general roster in the way you move down a line each week, but it would be the same every 8 weeks, with the same shift & routes often you find that different lines have different sorts of routes on them as well, line 1 might mostly be express buses and few general services whilst line 2 might even have just one route on it with only a couple of small journeys on other routes.

It also means that if you have say 10 lines to pick from, the most senior driver gets priority first obviously meaning they get the choice of a line they’ve seen which may have less backshifts or less Sundays on it.

The issue overall regarding the entire workforce is that you mostly end up with a disproportionate amount of workers who are lower on the seniority list with a less than adequate work/life balance, as those lower on the seniority list are left lines that are less desirable, often with more Sundays, 12hr spreadovers or backshifts on them.

Last edited:

SarahDFIG

Is Overtown depot open on Sundays now?

Noticed a 242 branded e200mmc on the 251?

Thought the 251 was Blantyre operated on Sundays.

route101

Established Member
It'll be intriguing to see if the changes tomorrow have any effect whatsoever to be honest. I've only really looked at the app a couple of times this morning and I've noticed 1s, 2s, 3s and 6s all missing journeys at one point or another and I doubt it's just tracker issues although that happens too. I have noticed training buses a lot this week though so here's hoping that works because the last thing First needs after a change is a lot of cancellations
Does the app show missing journeys or flag them?

Is overtown depot open on Sunday's now?

Could be wrong but I think Blantyre and Overtown swap buses quite often.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Does the app show missing journeys or flag them?

Could be wrong but I think Blantyre and Overtown swap buses quite often.
Not yet but it's been a feature that's supposed to have been added for months. There's a way to notice though. If a journey just has a time and not a number of mins it's probably not running and if it's got no capacity and a number of mins and it's supposed to have left the terminus it's probably not running. Occasionally a bus doesn't track but 9/10 times it's a bus not running. A lot of people don't know about how to check it to be fair purely because the Twitter team never mention how you can actually do it

lastbus

Is Overtown depot open on Sundays now?

The depot is now open on Sundays. It started at the service change on 27th March.

Last edited by a moderator:

route101

Established Member
Not yet but it's been a feature that's supposed to have been added for months. There's a way to notice though. If a journey just has a time and not a number of mins it's probably not running and if it's got no capacity and a number of mins and it's supposed to have left the terminus it's probably not running. Occasionally a bus doesn't track but 9/10 times it's a bus not running. A lot of people don't know about how to check it to be fair purely because the Twitter team never mention how you can actually do it

Yes, I used to notice when the time when in black on the app, I would wonder if the bus would turn up. Sometimes the bus is not tracking and it does.

LT02 NVV

Earlier on Thursday, while heading back from Dumfries, I seen 2 Eclipse buses (both were they “WX54/55” plated type of ones, with the giant fan top thing) on the M74 being taken way by trucks, presumably for scrap I believe.

32592 now destined for scrap after a fire last night
I saw the video of it online, and I am so thankful everyone was OK.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yes, I used to notice when the time when in black on the app, I would wonder if the bus would turn up. Sometimes the bus is not tracking and it does.
Yeah the app is an absolute mess for that to be fair. Even looking at it today with some of the frequency cuts kicking in there's still too many buses missing to suggest the changes will work. I can't imagine people being very happy with it to be honest.

For what it's worth regarding service changes, the easier option would have probably been to drop everything down a frequency that's better than every 30 mins and then get to the frequency earlier like they've done with the recent changes. I don't think many people would have an issue with less buses if they actually turn up. A lot of services are still not even overly busy even with cuts.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Earlier on Thursday, while heading back from Dumfries, I seen 2 Eclipse buses (both were they “WX54/55” plated type of ones, with the giant fan top thing) on the M74 being taken way by trucks, presumably for scrap I believe.

I saw the video of it online, and I am so thankful everyone was OK.
Did you happen to see which scrap company were taking the Eclipses away? Thanks.

PaulMc7

Established Member
What will be the next changes in order to minimise the effects of the driver shortage? From what I noticed of the Scotstoun changes today was a fair bit better with not many journeys missing.

To be honest, I'm surprised the 7A hasn't been cut to between Osborne Street and Westburn and I'm surprised the short 21s haven't gone too. Cutting the 4A to between the City Centre and Eaglesham is also an option.

There's probably quite a few changes that would work without too much issue to be fair. From experience, there's a lot of inconsistency in how busy buses are at the moment. It's interesting that an earlier frequency drop off is now coming in the evening with some of the recent changes. It might be a smart tactic to be fair.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
To be honest, I'm surprised the 7A hasn't been cut to between Osborne Street and Westburn and I'm surprised the short 21s haven't gone too. Cutting the 4A to between the City Centre and Eaglesham is also an option.
How are you surprised? cutting the 7a and 4a would leave their north sections with a very inconsistent service pattern hence why it hasn’t been done. if you wanted to save on those routes a frequency reduction is what would happen

PaulMc7

Established Member
How are you surprised? cutting the 7a and 4a would leave their north sections with a very inconsistent service pattern hence why it hasn’t been done. if you wanted to save on those routes a frequency reduction is what would happen
Not necessarily. Just change the 4 and 7 to then fit that like the 38 does with the 38C at Riddrie. It's a surprise because the Westburn to Rutherglen section of the 7A has been questionably quiet even before Covid so it would be an easy service to make a cut on.

Another example of inconsistent patterns too that's never been an issue is the 1/1A/1B between Church Street and the A82. It's 10 mins then 20 mins because of the 1A splitting away via Bellsmyre. Ironically the same pattern the 7/7A has between Toryglen Asda and Rutherglen

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Not necessarily. Just change the 4 and 7 to then fit that like the 38 does with the 38C at Riddrie. It's a surprise because the Westburn to Rutherglen section of the 7A has been questionably quiet even before Covid so it would be an easy service to make a cut on.

Another example of inconsistent patterns too that's never been an issue is the 1/1A/1B between Church Street and the A82. It's 10 mins then 20 mins because of the 1A splitting away via Bellsmyre. Ironically the same pattern the 7/7A has between Toryglen Asda and Rutherglen
Yes necessarily, the 38 and 38c and the ones are a different scenario. If you cut the north section of the 7A then you have 2 buses 10 minutes apart then a random 20 minute gap then another 2 every 10 minutes and so on. Yes its the same frequency pattern between Toryglen Asda and Rutherglen but the 2 buses go different routes there and they don’t carry on together after they meet at Rutherglen. Same with the north part of the 4 you’ll have random gaps in the service if you cut the 4a.
It's a surprise because the Westburn to Rutherglen section of the 7A has been questionably quiet even before Covid so it would be an easy service to make a cut on.
But it wouldn’t. Its easier to bring a frequency from 10 to 12 minutes than half hourly to hourly

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yes necessarily, the 38 and 38c and the ones are a different scenario. If you cut the north section of the 7A then you have 2 buses 10 minutes apart then a random 20 minute gap then another 2 every 10 minutes and so on. Yes its the same frequency pattern between Toryglen Asda and Rutherglen but the 2 buses go different routes there and they don’t carry on together after they meet at Rutherglen. Same with the north part of the 4 you’ll have random gaps in the service if you cut the 4a.

But it wouldn’t. Its easier to bring a frequency from 10 to 12 minutes than half hourly to hourly
Then all you have to do is make the 7 every 15 mins then have the 7A slot in between. Every 12 mins doesn't work when it's a service with any variants. Look at the way the 9A was before with it because of the Penilee/Braehead split. 24 mins then 36 mins. It's far easier to chop part of the route and reschedule the rest with a variant than it is to drop to an uneven frequency

Then all you have to do is make the 7 every 15 mins then have the 7A slot in between. Every 12 mins doesn't work when it's a service with any variants. Look at the way the 9A was before with it because of the Penilee/Braehead split. 24 mins then 36 mins. It's far easier to chop part of the route and reschedule the rest with a variant than it is to drop to an uneven frequency
Generally speaking the 7A has far less use serving the whole way(Summerston to Cambuslang).

Personally it seems wiser to have the 7 & 7A completely separated, the 7 between Summerston & Rutherglen only, every 12 minutes.

The 7A renumbered between Osborne St & Cambuslang every 30 minutes, perhaps as a 67.

PaulMc7

Established Member
In reality more cuts are needed. The reality is that First need to be honest about what they can run instead of having loads of cancellations every single day especially when on some services it's been 2 buses back to back.

I doubt this will make any difference, its sad really.

First Glasgow has ramped up recruitment efforts in Greater Glasgow with a pay rise for its entry level drivers.

Drivers with an existing PCV licence will now enjoy a pay rate of £12/hour, and faster pay progression which promises to let colleagues “reach the highest rate of pay within just two years of joining”.

There are currently vacancies at the operator’s Blantyre, Overtown, Scotstoun, Dumbarton and City Centre (Caledonia) depots.

The new offer acts as an immediate benefit and means drivers can earn over £30,000 with overtime. A variety of work patterns are available, including two, three, four, five and six day weeks, flexible part-time shifts and a 25-hour working week across the Greater Glasgow area...

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
I doubt this will make any difference, its sad really.

The key is flexibility in the shift patterns tbh and good management. It's key in modern working which is why so many industries are in the same boat.

In terms of wages, unfortunately it'll mean increased fares if they keep going up unless government funding ramps up but we know it won't because the trains get the majority especially now

Stan Drews

Established Member
Generally speaking the 7A has far less use serving the whole way(Summerston to Cambuslang).

Personally it seems wiser to have the 7 & 7A completely separated, the 7 between Summerston & Rutherglen only, every 12 minutes.

The 7A renumbered between Osborne St & Cambuslang every 30 minutes, perhaps as a 67.
Perhaps they could call the route through Toryglen the 12, and then just call the route via Kings Park the 7. o_O ;)

PaulMc7

Established Member
Another Simplicity with more numbers and less letter variants could be interesting to be fair. It would definitely help with the likes of the 1s and 38s especially

38A-Z

Being fair to First, the 90 covers the missing part of the 7 from Asda Toryglen to Rutherglen Main St keeping it as a 10 minute frequency. Due to its route, I don’t think the 90 often runs on time but the timetable shows, both directions, there’s a 7 or 90 from Asda and Main St every 10 mins From Asda, the 7A basically runs as a separate service only overlapping Rutherglen Main St.