• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Realistic_Spy

the 242 E200MMCs will enter service early next year. i am sure the 65 batch will be delivered at some point this month, i am sure there are about 6 E200MMCs for the 65

No news about the 34/34a batch yet

Last edited:

lastbus

the 242 E200MMCs will enter service early next year. i am sure the 65 batch will be delivered at some point this month, i am sure there are about 6 E200MMCs for the 65

No news about the 34/34a batch yet

The 242 is no longer getting the e200mmcs this order they are going on the 241 and Overtown now getting 12 of these and from what I’ve heard the extra 4 will be the buses that were originally meant for the 65. Also been told the buses for the 241 will be here for the service change.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Needless to say we aren’t in the 60s.. The 46 and 64 don’t merit a full size bus anymore in my opinion.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the 46 at least between Parkhead and Bridgeton at peak times a double decker does quite full. Same with the 64 between Stockwell Street and Bridgeton/Parkhead, it's standing room only at times. I stay in Bridgeton and use them all the time and they do warrant full size buses.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
The 242 is no longer getting the e200mmcs this order they are going on the 241 and Overtown now getting 12 of these and from what I’ve heard the extra 4 will be the buses that were originally meant for the 65. Also been told the buses for the 241 will be here for the service change.

And where exactly have you got this from? I doubt First would be flinging out images of 'new buses' with 242 branding for them then to be not going there at all. Pretty sure that would be misleading. Also, what would First get out of in affect showing a barcode at a launch with all the routes in which new buses are being delivered for?

lastbus

And where exactly have you got this from? I doubt First would be flinging out images of 'new buses' with 242 branding for them then to be not going there at all. Pretty sure that would be misleading. Also, what would First get out of in affect showing a barcode at a launch with all the routes in which new buses are being delivered for?

This has been confirmed to the driving staff ahead of the service change on 26th of November the original plan was new buses for the 242 but due to a competitor coming on to the 241 route these are now going on this. There will be 12 in total. The streetlites currently on the 34 will move to Overtown and I presume will be used on the 242.

JonnyB1984

As I have said, the 242 is getting brand new vehicles which will arrive early next year. Streetlites have yet to be 100% confirmed but if they do arrive then they will serve the 242 until the new vehicles arrive then no doubt these will move over to the 266.

No point going back and forth. the 241 & 242 with the 241 vehicles arriving "soon" and the 242 vehicles arriving start of next year.

route101

Established Member
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the 46 at least between Parkhead and Bridgeton at peak times a double decker does quite full. Same with the 64 between Stockwell Street and Bridgeton/Parkhead, it's standing room only at times. I stay in Bridgeton and use them all the time and they do warrant full size buses.

Id say half or maybe not even half the 46s are deckers , usually 53 plates and the awful B7Ls .Important route linking Castlemilk with Rutherglen and the East End .

JonnyB1984

This has been confirmed to the driving staff ahead of the service change on 26th of November the original plan was new buses for the 242 but due to a competitor coming on to the 241 route these are now going on this. There will be 12 in total. The streetlites currently on the 34 will move to Overtown and I presume will be used on the 242.
The original plan was for the 242 to get the buses yes but due to JMB they are going onto the 241 with more due for the 242.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member

Confirmed to the driving staff by whom exactly? So what basically First are advertising on their Facebook page is false then by still putting out the images of branded 242s? Jings crivens, somebody better report them for false advertising...

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Id say half or maybe not even half the 46s are deckers , usually 53 plates and the awful B7Ls .Important route linking Castlemilk with Rutherglen and the East End .

There has definitely been an increase in ALX400s on the 46. The influx of Presidents seems to have subsided apart from the 2 that came from East Lothian.

route101

Established Member
Both have been there for a few weeks now I’m sure. There’s also what looks like a B10BLE sitting in front of those buses and it has been for quite some time.

Noticed a few B9TLs on the 46 which is very random. The 46 tends to get all the crap of the day on it. I honestly don’t think that route needs deckers. I think they use Tridents on it because they have nothing else for it. In recent months it’s been operated by B7Ls. I think the 14 plate E200s would be good on that route. No need for huge buses.

Yeah noticed a newer Gemini on a 46 . These are rare apart from the 61 route branded ones on ex Parkhead duties . B7Ls have been on the 46 for ages now . There is not any 14 plate E200S.

route101

Established Member
The 46, 37 and 64 used to be three of the busiest routes in Glasgow in the sixies

Them routes have always been there except the 37 which went about ten years ago .

The 37 with 31 up Cathcart Road , now its just the 31 .

Always think the 31 is in danger of being chopped up to EK .

route101

Established Member
There has definitely been an increase in ALX400s on the 46. The influx of Presidents seems to have subsided apart from the 2 that came from East Lothian.

First time i seen a 53 plate ALX400 in Glasgow was in 2012 on a 46 ! Used to be W plate ones too on the 46 . Not noticed any from East Lothian

lastbus

Confirmed to the driving staff by whom exactly? So what basically First are advertising on their Facebook page is false then by still putting out the images of branded 242s? Jings crivens, somebody better report them for false advertising...

Not going to reveal that information on a public forum! All will be revealed soon if you read back a few pages you will see this has already been discussed.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Not going to reveal that information on a public forum! All will be revealed soon if you read back a few pages you will see this has already been discussed.

I asked a question, surely if making all these claims, you must have something to back it up? Until I see concrete proof from First directly, I choose to disbelieve you.

lastbus

I asked a question, surely if making all these claims, you must have something to back it up? Until I see concrete proof from First directly, I choose to disbelieve you.

That’s up to you but I know it’s 100% happening!

goldisgood

I hardly think you can call it false advertising... They never promised new buses for the 242, it was suggested that there would be new buses for it but the plans have changed! They have never directly confirmed this, they have only hinted at this.
I think that the new buses for the 241 instead makes a lot more sense, the competition just being one reason. It's a more frequent route than the 65 and 242 are, and if they put branding on the route I think that it will look really effective to rival JMB - brand new green buses with wi-fi and USB charging, improved frequency (every 10 minutes), easily identifiable branded buses. This really makes a mark and will catch the eye of people if First do this right.

Realistic_Spy

It is unlikely the E200MMCs are going on the 241. It would make no sense

I have spotted a couple of the streetlites in the 34 being debranded from simpliCITY lately

JonnyB1984

Not sure why people are still disagreeing over this. This thread hates facts it seems.

I will make this clearer then you will all need to wait and see. As an ex driver for FIG I can tell you for a fact the drivers get told next to nothing in regards to changes until they are about to happen.

241 - Brand New E200MMCs - Expected Delivery Date *Nov/Dec 2018*
242 - Brand New E200MMCs - Expected Delivery Date *Jan-March 2019*

Streetlites from Caley - Not confirmed they are even going to Overtown as just rumoured but to be around 8-10.

If the streetlites arrive then they will no doubt serve the 242 until the new vehicles arrive next year then they will again no doubt move over to the 266.

In regards to route branding - Only the 242 has route branding and nothing been mentioned of the 241 getting branded but I guess it would

**As I no longer work for FIG I can't just get information like I use to and by a simple email I was provided with the following** - I still have a few email contacts I can rely on.

I can confirm that service 241, which is also based at Overtown depot, will be receiving brand new vehicles. Service 242 will also receive brand new vehicles, just slightly later than originally expected.

I’m not sure of any exact vehicle movements planned for displaced buses once the new fleet is up and running but we do have a cascade programme that allows us to retire the oldest members of the fleet from service.

I hope that this additional information helps for the moment.

Kind regards

**** Name Removed ****

Stakeholder Engagement Advisor (Scotland)

We must now wait and see what the future brings and you can believe/disbelieve this if you wish.

smtglasgow

Good to know the 64 is doing better. About 5 years ago First wanted to withdraw the route and the then MP for the area, Margaret Curran, ran a pretty good campaign to save it. I think bus use at the Carmyle end has fallen off a cliff over the last decade as more people use the train – especially now it’s electrified and runs through the low level. As with most of Glasgow, a day return on the train is much cheaper than a First Day.

The 46 gets whatever old tat is available. It can seem quiet during the day – although I think it does OK at Rutherglen and the Forge – but I’ve also seen it very busy at the peaks. Think it gets busy with schools as well.

smtglasgow

Might find that if JMB come out of Cleland, the new buses will get moved elsewhere. Although didn’t McKindless run to Cleland for a long time? For selfish reasons I want to know what is changing with the 240 and 255. More buses would be nice, but I’d settle for reliable.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I noticed on the First Glasgow Facebook page someone asked about new buses in the Dumbarton area and they replied there was new developments coming in 2019. I wonder whether the one will be getting upgraded. I think it’s an extremely busy route and new buses would be great on it as the current stock is now 6 years old. It would also allow the E300s to be sent to other routes needing upgraded especially with LEZ coming in to play.

lastbus

Not sure why people are still disagreeing over this. This thread hates facts it seems.

I will make this clearer then you will all need to wait and see. As an ex driver for FIG I can tell you for a fact the drivers get told next to nothing in regards to changes until they are about to happen.

Streetlites from Caley - Not confirmed they are even going to Overtown as just rumoured but to be around 8-10.

If the streetlites arrive then they will no doubt serve the 242 until the new vehicles arrive next year then they will again no doubt move over to the 266.

In regards to route branding - Only the 242 has route branding and nothing been mentioned of the 241 getting branded but I guess it would

**As I no longer work for FIG I can't just get information like I use to and by a simple email I was provided with the following** - I still have a few email contacts I can rely on.

I can confirm that service 241, which is also based at Overtown depot, will be receiving brand new vehicles. Service 242 will also receive brand new vehicles, just slightly later than originally expected.

I’m not sure of any exact vehicle movements planned for displaced buses once the new fleet is up and running but we do have a cascade programme that allows us to retire the oldest members of the fleet from service.

I hope that this additional information helps for the moment.

Kind regards

**** Name Removed ****

Stakeholder Engagement Advisor (Scotland)

We must now wait and see what the future brings and you can believe/disbelieve this if you wish.

This is correct the 241 buses are expected to arrive by the change on the 26th November

JonnyB1984

Start of the withdrawals of the B10s & B7L toiletboxes.

Edit: ex Kernow Caetano Dart (43864) will be transferred to Overtown.

Last edited:

lastbus

Start of the withdrawals of the B10s & B7L toiletboxes.

Edit: ex Kernow Caetano Dart (43864) will be transferred to Overtown.

Replacing 41447 this was unplanned but 41447 suffered mechanical failure so needs to be replaced