• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

scosutsut

There is, it's a device called Bridgeclear which detects such things. Unfortunately it costs money which is where the operator tends to lose interest.....
None of this surprises me!

I was thinking a cheaper solution where the ticket machine could be programmed with vehicle height and use GPS (assuming modern kit has this for tracking anyway) and yelp out loud on roads approaching low bridges.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Observer

How does that explain the Falkirk - Kilsyth section (of the X35) still running to Glasgow, but via a more convoluted route of Croy Station, Craiglinn Roundabout, North Road, Condorrat, Mollinsburn, Muirhead, and Royal Infirmary?
And since coronavirus it has terminated at Condorrat.

Not that it matters now, on Monday it was quietly changed to terminate at a different part in Condorrat with no plans to extend to Glasgow, renumbered as the 35.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Anyone's local services a lot busier now?

Been looking at the app last 2/3 days and the 1s being back as single deckers is causing a lot of bother. Seem to be full for larger chunks of the day between Yoker and Glasgow City Centre. The 2 hasn't been any better either. At times there's 3/4 in a row all full. Obviously it's not helped by availability but to me it was fairly obvious it would happen with those services as they were 2 of the busiest before the pandemic

Volvodart

Established Member
Is this from observation or just looking at the app. If the latter, you do not know if people are sitting together and the capacity will be higher.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Is this from observation or just looking at the app. If the latter, you do not know if people are sitting together and the capacity will be higher.

For me the app but my girlfriend and sister have been out a lot and they've seen a lot of busier buses too

CM

The app isn't accurate, my regular bus to work in the morning has been showing as full on the app, and this is usually when it's 2 or 3 stops away before it gets to mine but when the bus actually appears there are about 6 people on it.

route101

Established Member
Anyone's local services a lot busier now?

Been looking at the app last 2/3 days and the 1s being back as single deckers is causing a lot of bother. Seem to be full for larger chunks of the day between Yoker and Glasgow City Centre. The 2 hasn't been any better either. At times there's 3/4 in a row all full. Obviously it's not helped by availability but to me it was fairly obvious it would happen with those services as they were 2 of the busiest before the pandemic

Been using a mixture of buses and trains .Noticed a fair few people using transport to go to shops opened up this week,surely this Non essential message should be dropped soon?

Seen an 18 with its desty that flickered to bus full but didnt look full . I think the single deckers run the risk of being full. Still fairly quiet on the 6 , though its near normal off peak figures ha.

I do wonder when the next increase is, and if the presently withdrawn routes are coming back.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Been using a mixture of buses and trains .Noticed a fair few people using transport to go to shops opened up this week,surely this Non essential message should be dropped soon?

Seen an 18 with its desty that flickered to bus full but didnt look full . I think the single deckers run the risk of being full. Still fairly quiet on the 6 , though its near normal off peak figures ha.

I do wonder when the next increase is, and if the presently withdrawn routes are coming back.

Even though it doesn't look full, due to social distancing and with the max capacity of the 400MMCs being only 19, it probably was.

route101

Established Member

How does it work, does the driver count everyone on and off the bus?

lastbus

Ticketer machine counts them on driver has to count them off and adjust the counter manually. As for post about the bus showing full on destination screen when it appeared not to be the driver may have just forgot to change the screen back after seats became available it’s easily done.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Ticketer machine counts them on driver has to count them off and adjust the counter manually. As for post about the bus showing full on destination screen when it appeared not to be the driver may have just forgot to change the screen back after seats became available it’s easily done.

I understand it's automated, so i would assume the driver forgot to manually count down for passengers coming off.

ScottDarg

Have seen posts on Facebook this evening from MSPs and councillors stating the X1 has been permanently scrapped. Source is being cited as an email from First at 6pm:

1593820083712.png

IMAGE TRANSCRIPT:
Monica Lennon MSP For Central Scotland

Extremely disappointed to get an email from First Bus at 6pm tonight (Friday 3 July) advising that the X1 bus service between Hillhouse and Glasgow has been permanently axed.

The service is currently suspended due to the Coronavirus pandemic. We have had to fight to save this vital service before and we will do so again.

Please contact me at [email protected] if you agree the X1 should be saved and why.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Yes, when comments are reasonable and justifiable.

Just because a service, which was already struggling, is withdrawn, does not mean that it "doesn't bode well" for other routes.

Genuine question:

Being as your location is Dundee and as First Glasgow to the best of my knowledge do not operate in Dundee, what exactly do you know about the history of bus services in the West of Scotland?

I'm not having a go, I am just wondering that's all.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member

Just because a service, which was already struggling, is withdrawn, does not mean that it "doesn't bode well" for other routes.

It's true though. If it does come to light that the X1 has finally been axed, it does make you think about what other routes they're looking to cut back on or get rid of completely.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The X1 was the likely first service to go tbh so no surprise there. Wonder if the X2 will be another that goes because anytime I seen it there was barely any passengers whatsoever even at peaks

route101

Established Member
The X1 was the likely first service to go tbh so no surprise there. Wonder if the X2 will be another that goes because anytime I seen it there was barely any passengers whatsoever even at peaks

Shame , they managed to keep it going . Painted buses in X1 branding. How does the x11 fare ?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Shame , they managed to keep it going . Painted buses in X1 branding. How does the x11 fare ?

From what I've seen of it a lot better than the X1 to the point the last journey into Glasgow Monday to Friday is actually later than it was pre covid for the X11

PaulMc7

Established Member
Nice to notice the comments on social media regarding the X1 are a mirror image of the last time it was going to be cut. People saying it's an essential service etc, saying it could be cut to 1 an hour off peak with more peak journeys and I seen suggestions of route changes too. I mean people were warned at the time that it was going if it wasn't used more and from experiences outside of peak it was never busier than it was before. People have clearly just seen that it's busy at peak and that's all that matters to them.

Robert cusick

It does for those other rotes that are struggling although some routes may just Need a small adjustment or merger with another route

route101

Established Member
Nice to notice the comments on social media regarding the X1 are a mirror image of the last time it was going to be cut. People saying it's an essential service etc, saying it could be cut to 1 an hour off peak with more peak journeys and I seen suggestions of route changes too. I mean people were warned at the time that it was going if it wasn't used more and from experiences outside of peak it was never busier than it was before. People have clearly just seen that it's busy at peak and that's all that matters to them.

X1 was useful for unI/college students. One thing Hamilton has compared to EK is an bus station right next to the station.

PaulMc7

Established Member
X1 was useful for unI/college students. One thing Hamilton has compared to EK is an bus station right next to the station.

Yeah definitely. The X1 route in Hamilton was so long winded though. Even off peak it was a min longer from High Earnock to the town centre than it was from the town centre to Glasgow city centre. Would be interesting to see if EK ever got an express bus again

route101

Established Member
Yeah definitely. The X1 route in Hamilton was so long winded though. Even off peak it was a min longer from High Earnock to the town centre than it was from the town centre to Glasgow city centre. Would be interesting to see if EK ever got an express bus again

The 31 is the express bus for me , but its off and unsure of its return or not . Most people either drive or drive to the two stations. Bit like if i walk to the station , about the same time that the train takes to Glasgow Central.