• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

jazza374

44686 the first to go to Ensign yesterday. Massive step backwards for Overtown. Hopefully the replacements are short term only, need to be given their age I suppose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I remember that rumour. It was either tosh, or that someone had heard about some of the early Streetlites (Sheffield and Leicester) going off lease after a ten year term and got confused? If those YW68s are leased and are going back, it may simply be economics have changed.

I do take your point about the e300s - it is probably just a reflection that First have commitments in England to satisfy if they want to get the electrification progressed i.e. they get the infrastructure paid for but you need to fund much of the new vehicle cost. For example, Norwich has just received a slew of Kites and Electroliners that have replaced 2005 Eclipses, 2002/3 B7TLs (plus allowing B9s to cascade) - that opco had only 20 new vehicles in 10 years previously.

I'm sure that Glasgow will resume new vehicle deliveries but the need is more pressing elsewhere at the moment.
Exactly, demonisation of diesel buses specifically always irritates me when there can be car after car in many of our towns carrying 1 or 2 people, a diesel bus is easily still a sustainable way to move people En Masse..

overthewater

Established Member
Is there an actual plan to get a fleet replacement on "The One"? There were rumours of new fleet around 2020 but covid stopped all that. First seems to have fallen out of love with refurbishing buses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an actually plan to get a fleet replacement on "The One"? There was rumours of new fleet around 2020 but covid stop all that? First seems to have fallen out of love of refurbishing buses.
The 1 is well overdue an upgrade of some sorts, capacity is always an issue, the nightmare it has is all the low bridges on it's route and the depot surrounding, This is a service that badly needs double deckers, Was actually better during Covid when they rerouted it and had deckers on it although a bus was deroofed but that's whoever is driving it at fault and should never hinder the possibility of trying it again, you shouldn't have a licence if you forget what bus you're driving at the end of day there's no excuse.

NIT100

Any new orders for Glasgow will surely be based on ScotZEB (Scottish Zero Emission Bus challenge fund) Phase 2 funding and there hasn't been an update on that since December 2023 I think. Otherwise, they will prioritise new Zero Emission buses that get funding in England under ZEBRA (Zero Emission Bus Regional Areas) and cascade any retained diesel buses elsewhere.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I do recall the plan was for 'the One' to be re-routed permanently with new E400MMCs but then Covid happened and that idea was well and truly scrapped. I can’t comment on current numbers but at the time the 1 was extremely busy especially during peak times. A few B9TLs were transferred to cover peak workings but were all subsequently removed from Dumbarton so not sure if the numbers have dropped post-Covid.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the likes of Dumbarton and Overtown when it comes to going fully electric. Perhaps we’ll see some movements or modifications of depots. I can’t see them spending money on getting charging ports fitted to depots they don’t intend on keeping or that they don’t plan on being in permanently.

I hope new buses are announced sooner rather than later as the E300s are badly showing their age and with a return off the table - new buses would be nice. One big order could wipe out the ageing B9TLs. With regards to Dumbarton I’m not sure what buses would have the range to operate those routes given their length. Could E200MMCs handle the ones?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Is there an actual plan to get a fleet replacement on "The One"? There were rumours of new fleet around 2020 but covid stopped all that. First seems to have fallen out of love with refurbishing buses.
Of course they have, refurbished buses means spending money…
They haven't really. At the Aberdeen end there's essentially always one bus off the road at the moment being done with all 21 Enviro400s and the majority of the Enviro300s being treated to a full interior retrim in the past year, while at the Glasgow end they're in the process of doing all the ex-Manchester Geminis. To his credit since Duncan Cameron came in as MD there has been a lot more focus on internal presentation.

LT02 NVV

The 1 is well overdue an upgrade of some sorts, capacity is always an issue.
It’s a bit of a nightmare when they use a Streetlite or E200 at peak-times (even if I like the change of pace from the usual E300s).
I’m always lucky to go to the St Ench terminal when they start service, as they pack up more than E300s due to their shorter lengths than them.

NEW POST

What’s happening with 47394-96, 98, 99, 47461, 62, and 64?

They haven’t been in service for a bit.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Having a corporate livery is very sensible.

I just hope First are more strategic when implementing this new livery compared to how they were with the urban livery. I think the plan should be to focus on all the EVs then the modern diesels like the E400MMCs, E200MMCs.

I hope they don’t start painting the B9TLs - it seems pointless only for them to be around for another couple of years at most. I can’t imagine how much money was wasted with all the different liveries in the First empire not to mention all the different route brandings o_O

LT02 NVV

NEW POST

What’s happening with 47394-96, 98, 99, 47461, 62, and 64?

They haven’t been in service for a bit.
So, does anyone know what’s happening with these Streetlites (excluding the ones in red, they’re still in service)? I really hope they enter back in service soon, as I’m getting kinda sick of them wasting double-deckers on the M60 recently (instead of routes like the 2, 3, 6A, & 77).

Having a corporate livery is very sensible.

I just hope First are more strategic when implementing this new livery compared to how they were with the urban livery. I think the plan should be to focus on all the EVs then the modern diesels like the E400MMCs, E200MMCs.

I hope they don’t start painting the B9TLs - it seems pointless only for them to be around for another couple of years at most. I can’t imagine how much money was wasted with all the different liveries in the First empire not to mention all the different route brandings o_O
The new livery is for Electric buses only (as I’ve been told by the people from First Group, who came to the GVVT event back in April), the diesels are being kept in Urban.

Attachments

• IMG_2224.jpeg
    IMG_2224.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 28

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
So, does anyone know what’s happening with these Streetlites (excluding the ones in red, they’re still in service)? I really hope they enter back in service soon, as I’m getting kinda sick of them wasting double-deckers on the M60 recently (instead of routes like the 2, 3, 6A, & 77).

The new livery is for Electric buses only (as I’ve been told by the people from First Group, who came to the GVVT event back in April), the diesels are being kept in Urban.
Untrue. The new livery is a corporate livery. A few diesels have already been painted. I’ve seen a Streetlite it Wales done and an ex-Glasgow E400MMC in Essex has been done also. I’ve seen a Streetdeck too.

jazza374

47461 and 47462 were moved from Overtown to Scotstoun recently pending transfer to Essex to join 47625

LT02 NVV

47461 and 47462 were moved from Overtown to Scotstoun recently pending transfer to Essex to join 47625
What about the Ex-London ones? Last time I heard anything about them was that 47395, 96, 98, and 99 were at Dumbarton, and I know that 47394 was at Caledonia after a repaint.

MasterSpenny

The new livery is for Electric buses only
Sorry, but that’s not right, especially considering that they are already painting existing, non electric buses elsewhere in First Group. Here is an example, which is Wrightbus StreetDeck 35273 (in South Yorkshire), having been repainted a couple weeks back. Photo (not mine) liked below to show this.

SarahDFIG

First do know how to confuse passengers with the constant vehicle livery changes.

Was told today by a driver that Overtown Depot 44688 is the next vehicle to come off fleet which should be by next week. Looking at bustimes it does appear to have been off the road since the 9th May so looks likely.

lastbus

First do know how to confuse passengers with the constant vehicle livery changes.

Was told today by a driver that Overtown Depot 44688 is the next vehicle to come off fleet which should be by next week. Looking at bustimes it does appear to have been off the road since the 9th May so looks likely.
Already gone.

ScotRail158725

Established Member

There’s plenty diesel buses in England wearing the new livery