• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Colin01

Wow! Short notice! Still not heard anything - I applied to Exeter
Tell me about it. When I tried to reschedule it they basically say you may not get another date if they cannot accommodate it.

It's a waiting game. Patience is everything.

simonw22

Tell me about it. When I tried to reschedule it they basically say you may not get another date if they cannot accommodate it.

It's a waiting game. Patience is everything.
Strange i got an email Friday for Reading but its 26th Feb so not sure why ur is such short notice.

Termy

I got an invite today, Reading either Thursday 14th Feb, or Monday 4th March. March'll be much more convenient for me...
In the words of ABBA: "Mamma Mia, here I go again..."
Let's hope I pass the first stage again! :3 Completely forgotten I had applied for this back last November, so quite a nice surprise to be sitting Stage 1 assessments again. And with the addition of the Stage 2 tests I didn't sit last time, this proves for a very exciting time!

(I applied for Paddington Heathrow Connect Talent Pool, just in case others are still waiting to hear back!)

Last edited:

Jaytrains

I got an invite today, Reading either Thursday 14th Feb, or Monday 4th March. March'll be much more convenient for me...
In the words of ABBA: "Mamma Mia, here I go again..."
Let's hope I pass the first stage again! :3 Completely forgotten I had applied for this back last November, so quite a nice surprise to be sitting Stage 1 assessments again. And with the addition of the Stage 2 tests I didn't sit last time, this proves for a very exciting time!

(I applied for Paddington Heathrow Connect Talent Pool, just in case others are still waiting to hear back!)
Did u also receive this email weeks before getting the assessment email?

Regarding your application for the role of Trainee Train Drivers - Talent Pool, reference 8732

We have had a huge response to these roles and will be working to review applications, however please note as these are for talent pools rather than active vacancies the process will take longer. As soon as we have any update for you we will be in contact via email.

Kind regards,

Termy

I will admit, I did not. I've not had any communication regarding this role since completing the application process last November. :)

Stigy

Established Member
I will admit, I did not. I've not had any communication regarding this role since completing the application process last November. :)
I was the same. Application submitted in November, invited to interview mid Jan.

FlashingMoon

Regarding your application for the role of Trainee Train Drivers - Talent Pool, reference 8732

We have had a huge response to these roles and will be working to review applications, however please note as these are for talent pools rather than active vacancies the process will take longer. As soon as we have any update for you we will be in contact via email.

Kind regards,

In had a same email too and ever since never heard back. I strongly believe that whoever got this email will get DMI in the next campaign later in the year or even next year.

Termy

In had a same email too and ever since never heard back. I strongly believe that whoever got this email will get DMI in the next campaign later in the year or even next year.

Assuming you have the assessment passes your belt.

Termy

I've also had a thought on this assessment run today. Don't GWR normally run the computerised second stage (or what is usually the second stage) vigilance and perception tests at a dedicated facility at Swindon station? My email invite says we will be doing these at Reading instead, not a dedicated facility. Hmm!

TomCo91

I've also had a thought on this assessment run today. Don't GWR normally run the computerised second stage (or what is usually the second stage) vigilance and perception tests at a dedicated facility at Swindon station? My email invite says we will be doing these at Reading instead, not a dedicated facility. Hmm!

As far as i'm aware they're running them separately. So only those that pass paper based testing at Reading will be invited to Swindon at a later date to complete all the computer based tests. I stand to be corrected though.

Jaytrains

Hmmm but I’ve never done the assessments with any other Toc or in general so im still confused really.. -_-

Ebee

I've never got as far as the assement centre. So it's all a first for me. From what I gather from the email all the tests computer and paper seem to be on the same day. Even the MMI otherwise why would they give all the practice material for everything in the email?

Preet

Hello guys,
Just have a question for u!
If i can’t attend my DMI because i won’t be in the country, what are my chances of getting another interview date soon?
Many thanks!

Termy

As far as i'm aware they're running them separately. So only those that pass paper based testing at Reading will be invited to Swindon at a later date to complete all the computer based tests. I stand to be corrected though.

The email I received seems to indicate we will be doing all of the tests, though I also stand to be corrected too! :)

mercie3281

The email I received seems to indicate we will be doing all of the tests, though I also stand to be corrected too! :)
My email stated the same but we only did part 1 of the assessments, i.e the paper tests. Those people that were successful were then invited to the part 2 tests at Swindon. The email was misleading as we were told to expects the tests to take all day and included information on the computer tests and MMI, but then had a choice of morning or afternoon sessions.

Stigy

Established Member
Hmmm but I’ve never done the assessments with any other Toc or in general so im still confused really.. -_-
In that case it just means they’ll get to you eventually to let you know if they’ll be inviting you to an assesment Centre I guess?

Lewis H

Hello guys,
Just have a question for u!
If i can’t attend my DMI because i won’t be in the country, what are my chances of getting another interview date soon?
Many thanks!

I was faced with this dilemma, I physically couldnt make the DMI, so passed on it, thinking that I wouldnt get another sniff, then about 2-3 weeks later, I was offered another! Not sure if its pure luck or what, but it shows if you pass up, its not neccesarily the end of the road

Stigy

Established Member
I was faced with this dilemma, I physically couldnt make the DMI, so passed on it, thinking that I wouldnt get another sniff, then about 2-3 weeks later, I was offered another! Not sure if its pure luck or what, but it shows if you pass up, its not neccesarily the end of the road
Agreed it’s a risky business. I had thisbwith DB Cargo. I just pulled out all the stops in the end and went anyway because I didn’t want to miss the opportunity (admittedly if I was out of the country I simply couldn’t have attended). DB basically gave me one date and said they weren’t any other dates (although they said there may be at some point). It’s a captive audience with train driver jobs so anyone who is accommodated if they can’t attend the initial invite are very lucky....I’d see it as a good omen lol.

GWR gave me a choice of two days, and two times for each. Others have had three or four possible dates. Mdeends when the managers are interviewing I guess.

Daydr3am3r

I received the same email indicating that all the tests and MMI would be completed on one day, along with all of the practice material. We turned up to be told no it’s paper tests only and the computerised and MMI on a seperate date if successful.

I was successful and given a date in March for part 2, and have been sent all of the practice material again!!
Slightly confusing email comms!

Preet

Many thanks for sharing your experience.
Gave me some hope & reassurance!

Termy

My email stated the same but we only did part 1 of the assessments

That matches with the experience I had last time I did Stage 1, back when it was First Great Western. I was a little worried about fitting all of the tests into one day, so all the responses here have helped chill my nerves a bit.
I passed Stage 1 last time, before everything broke with the recruitment during the Cornwall floods, so I am truly hoping to get through to Stage 2 and the interviews this time!

tauhid miah

GWR. Paddington/Oxford.

I was told back in July 2018 whilst waiting for a MMI date, that there wasn’t now any predicated vacancies and they would keep my score on file.

So it’s come out of the blue, as I had given up a little bit to be honest. :D
ive also just got my email for MMI coming end of the month. i completed the first stage in may 2018. such a long wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.