• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It was one of the few remaining Barbie livered Omnidekkas iirc. I think Caledonia are now swiftly repainting the last couple.
Within the FSE fleet Omnidekkas 36009/11/14/19, Solo 53706 and L94UBs 65710/11 remain in Barbie livery, meanwhile B7RLE 69286 carries a side/rear wrap for Falkirk Council with a Barbie front.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busman757

First West Lothian to suspend their X23 from Monday 19th July.
From Monday 19th July 2021, Service X23 will be temporarily suspended and will not operate.
Please see below for information on alternative routes available.

The impact of Covid-19 has affected every business in some form or other – First West Lothian is no exception. Indeed, the safety of our staff and customers throughout the pandemic has always been and continues to be our number one priority.

The ongoing impact of the effects of Covid-19 on our business is significant and is therefore having an effect on our day to day service delivery. The main challenges that we’re currently facing are:

The impact of a number of driving colleagues having to self-isolate.
Supporting those through time off that display covid symptoms including long covid.
The time taken for colleagues to await covid test results before being cleared to return to work.
Covid has also hindered our recruitment pipeline, as we have seen an increase in the number of leavers against a backdrop of a shortfall of available PCV drivers across the bus industry. A delay in the processing of PCV applications at the DVSA has only compounded this issue further.

Despite efforts to draft in driving staff from our sister companies and agencies, we’ve been unable to fill the temporary shortfall in driving staff needed to fulfil our day to day requirements as they presently stand.

Therefore, with effect from Monday, 19th of July, we intend to suspend the operation of service X23 temporarily and until such times as our recruitment process and indeed the wider availability of PCV drivers across the industry is in a position to restore the levels of driving staff within our business.

While the suspension of any route is always an absolute last resort, we do need to make sure that we’re able to operate our services consistently so that customers and key workers can depend on us while we factor in some contingency to best meet covid related disruption from day to day. The temporary suspension of service X23 will help us to achieve that objective.

Customers who currently use Service X23 may utilise alternative services in order to make their journeys and this route in its entirety is mirrored by services X22 & X24 along it's length.

Last edited by a moderator:

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Coincidental surge in leavers due to other companies opening recruitment? Just a thought?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Coincidental surge in leavers due to other companies opening recruitment? Just a thought?
Nope, it's due to a large volume of drivers self isolating. First and Stagecoach up here have been having the exact same problem of late as has the HGV sector.

cnjb8

Established Member
Nope, it's due to a large volume of drivers self isolating. First and Stagecoach up here have been having the exact same problem of late as has the HGV sector.
Happening nationwide too, for example Arriva Cymru are having to suspend services again

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

Wonder if the numbers on the X28 will pick up!

CN04NRJ

Established Member

If it was purely that then why the heavy emphasis on recruitment issues - they're even paying PCV holders almost £2k in a sign up bonus?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If it was purely that then why the heavy emphasis on recruitment issues - they're even paying PCV holders almost £2k in a sign up bonus?
It's not purely that but it's the main contributing factor at the moment. They done little to no recruiting from the start of Covid until January this year so that itself did create a shortage. But the latest one is mostly down to drivers self isolating, i don't know the numbers for FSE but to give an idea Aberdeen had nearly 50 drivers self isolating recently, so about 1/8th of the workforce. The £2K sign up bonus is something First offered long before Covid.
Happening nationwide too, for example Arriva Cymru are having to suspend services again
Yeah it's happening in pretty much ever sector where driving is involved. Companies weren't able to do training for quite a long period of time so were unable to keep up with staff retiring.

Observer

I do wonder if any of the Stirling services will get put on emergency timetables soon. Been cancelling various services' journeys over the last week or so:

⚠️SERVICE UPDATE - 54⚠️

Due to operational issues, the below services are not running:

1305 from University
1335 from Stirling
1405 from University
⚠️SERVICE UPDATE - 51/52⚠️

Due to operational issues, the below services are not running:

1245 51 Stirling to Alloa
1317 52 Alloa to Stirling

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I do wonder if any of the Stirling services will get put on emergency timetables soon. Been cancelling various services' journeys over the last week or so:

There's not really much in Stirling they can cut as they've already been having capacity issues especially on the 52, while Falkirk area services have already been partially reduced.

The only real options left would be to reduce the 6 to hourly (saves 2 buses, combined with the 7/8 still provides a 20 minute frequency) and 38 to every 20 minutes (saves 2-3 buses), so that would save 5 buses in total and thus require at least 5 less drivers.

First West Lothian's MX56 ACZ 69187 and MX56 ADU 69189 have now been transfered back to First Glasgow as training buses.

Does anyone know what buses are going to replace these?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
First West Lothian's MX56 ACZ 69187 and MX56 ADU 69189 have now been transfered back to First Glasgow as training buses.

Does anyone know what buses are going to replace these?

They haven't been transferred to Glasgow, they're just there for repaint. They're becoming training buses for West Lothian and now carry the FSE version of the new training livery. (Blue rear with yellow front).

Presumably 69135/36 were the replacements.

Volvodart

Established Member
I presume the similar recent arrivals have made them become training buses for FSE.

I presume the similar recent arrivals have made them become training buses for FSE.
Yeah, oddly enough the replacements are actually older than them.

They haven't been transferred to Glasgow, they're just there for repaint. They're becoming training buses for West Lothian and now carry the FSE version of the new training livery. (Blue rear with yellow front).

Presumably 69135/36 were the replacements.
The photo I had seen the rear looked like First Glasgow Colours.

Edit:-
Nevermind, I can now see the First West Lothian colours on it.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yeah, oddly enough the replacements are actually older than them.
It's not that odd, the trainers are likely to stay around longer so it makes more sense to convert slightly younger vehicles. Even then there's less than a year's age difference - 69135/36 are 06 plate while 69187/89 are 56 plate.

It's not that odd, the trainers are likely to stay around longer so it makes more sense to convert slightly younger vehicles. Even then there's less than a year's age difference - 69135/36 are 06 plate while 69187/89 are 56 plate.
Yeah, so I'm guessing that the Volvo B10BLE trainers that First West Lothian had will now be withdrawn?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yep, definitely. With the loaned Diamond B7RLEs returning it makes sense to convert them, they are too old to replace anything now
It's mainly because of the LEZ zones coming in. The B7RLEs can be upgraded to Euro6 whereas B10BLEs can't. It'll also mean the training fleet is very consistent since most areas will be using D7C engine B7RLEs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yep, definitely. With the loaned Diamond B7RLEs returning it makes sense to convert them, they are too old to replace anything now
Don't know about that.... A fair number of the ex Diamond loans headed to Potteries to replace e300s there.

However, @Jordan Adam is right - they are busy replacing them to meet the various Clean Air Zones that firms have to encounter (which these B7RLEs can be upgraded to meet) and it makes sense to convert slightly newer ones to get the benefit of the capital spend

cnjb8

Established Member
Don't know about that.... A fair number of the ex Diamond loans headed to Potteries to replace e300s there.

However, @Jordan Adam is right - they are busy replacing them to meet the various Clean Air Zones that firms have to encounter (which these B7RLEs can be upgraded to meet) and it makes sense to convert slightly newer ones to get the benefit of the capital spend
Yes that’s true, but that’s pretty much the only example

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes that’s true, but that’s pretty much the only example
15 was quite a fair chunk involved though.

Whether any more of those that instead headed to Preston Bus would've been redeployed, who knows? Mind you, at least one was sold to Hulleys so perhaps not. There is the slightly odd circumstance of Worcester having training buses (05 plate Eclipses) that are considerably newer than their 02 Citaros still in service

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
15 was quite a fair chunk involved though.

Whether any more of those that instead headed to Preston Bus would've been redeployed, who knows? Mind you, at least one was sold to Hulleys so perhaps not.
To be fair, yes.
I think the Preston B7s are replacing the Scania EL Esteems.
Hulleys have three B7s now, one painted for the X57.

mb88

Wondering if anyone knows what runs Balfron drivers cover these days apart from the obvious X10/X10A? When I was there back in 2012 we did the 10, 8, 12, 32/32A, C11 and the school runs (which I understand have all gone now) but we also did some journeys on the 53 and 54 mainly to cover Bannockburn drivers’ meal breaks. There was also another run we did that went to Falkirk from Stirling via (I think) Fallin but the number escapes me. Would love to know what the current set up is there.

Wondering if anyone knows what runs Balfron drivers cover these days apart from the obvious X10/X10A? When I was there back in 2012 we did the 10, 8, 12, 32/32A, C11 and the school runs (which I understand have all gone now) but we also did some journeys on the 53 and 54 mainly to cover Bannockburn drivers’ meal breaks. There was also another run we did that went to Falkirk from Stirling via (I think) Fallin but the number escapes me. Would love to know what the current set up is there.
F16 is the number currently that goes to Westquarter in Falkirk via Fallin and Airth

Jordan Adam

Established Member
F16 is the number currently that goes to Westquarter in Falkirk via Fallin and Airth
For a while in 2014 the 59 was extended to operate Falkirk to Callander via Stirling with the F16 being reduced to a Sunday only service. I can't imagine it was particularly reliable given the bus only got 2-3 minutes at Stirling Bus Station on most runs.

overthewater

Established Member
For a while in 2014 the 59 was extended to operate Falkirk to Callander via Stirling with the F16 being reduced to a Sunday only service. I can't imagine it was particularly reliable given the bus only got 2-3 minutes at Stirling Bus Station on most runs.
Wasn't the 59 also rerouted to operate via Forth valley Hospital first aswell before reaching Falkirk bus stance?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Wasn't the 59 also rerouted to operate via Forth valley Hospital first aswell before reaching Falkirk bus stance?
Indeed it was. This was also around the same time the 60 was extended to Falkirk combining with the 38 to offer a 10 minute frequency between Falkirk Bus Station and Stirling Bus Station.

Pictured below is a section of the Falkirk Network Map from March 2016 showing the route of the 59 within Falkirk, by this point the 60 had been reduced to only operate as far as Larbert.
iPJeFgo.png

Observer

Yes it was a very long route, went into The Inches and Kinnaird too. Then it was just the F16 between Stirling and Falkirk, later extended to Westquarter by absorbing the F8 route into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.