• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotrail Trainee Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
What sort of experience would be required for a Trainee Driver?

Donachie

advertising for four depots! looks like its not long been up, best of luck for anyone that has a go!

the link is for the main careers page not the individual positions!

https://firstgroup.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/job_search.php?view_all=1&clear=1

Record breaker for rejection this time, applyed for Ayr on Sunday, rejected on Tuesday.:(

Has anyone got a trainee's position or through to assesment when their home address was 60 plus miles away from the depot they are applying for ?

Donachie.

rriley27

Record breaker for rejection this time, applyed for Ayr on Sunday, rejected on Tuesday.:(

Has anyone got a trainee's position or through to assesment when their home address was 60 plus miles away from the depot they are applying for ?

Donachie.

That's not unusual.
I am sure that the recruitment team will take your location into account when making a decision.
I applied for a driver's role last year and heard within 2 days.

387star

On Moderation
I heard they are taking on more trainee female drivers. There are far more females going for the role now. I am not against this obviously but a recent newspaper article did highlight that the growing number of females opting for a full time working career does make it harder to get a job in general combined with the state of the job market.

What are other people's views on this. I know they can't discriminate in practice but obviously it looks good for TOCs to take on a diverse workforce as well and given driver posts are infrequent...

PS I imagine with HS2 there may be driver roles because drivers on the current network may apply? I imagine only High Speed drivers though as on Eurostar you need 5 years or so High Speed experience

LCC106

Established Member
As I understand it, all baseline pass marks at assessment are the same regardless of whether you are male or female. Therefore, the only point where you can discriminate is the sift and that would depend on whether or not a score mechanism is used and even whether or not those doing the sift know your name! So imo those women in those roles are there entirley on their own merit.

TDK

Established Member
I heard they are taking on more trainee female drivers. There are far more females going for the role now. I am not against this obviously but a recent newspaper article did highlight that the growing number of females opting for a full time working career does make it harder to get a job in general combined with the state of the job market.

What are other people's views on this. I know they can't discriminate in practice but obviously it looks good for TOCs to take on a diverse workforce as well and given driver posts are infrequent...

PS I imagine with HS2 there may be driver roles because drivers on the current network may apply? I imagine only High Speed drivers though as on Eurostar you need 5 years or so High Speed experience

With females they have a dissadvantage if they have been mothers and not worked in the fields required for the role, however, when sifting the names, gender, religion, nationality and other details are removed before sifting takes place so all have an equal chance however I have only ever had one female pass the sifting and she failed the mechaical tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.