• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying Scotsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeylandLen

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Flying Scotsman due to leave York NRM at 1700 Thursday 10th , due Grosmont at 2110 as on RTT .

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crawley Ben

I understand FS won't be in service on Monday 14th March at NYMR. Might possibly be not on duty on Friday 18th too.

Might I ask where your understanding of this info comes from? I'm curious as am due to travel up from Sussex for a ride behind FS at the NYMR on the Saturday morning so hoping the loco is still operating as booked.

Thanks

Ben

doningtonphil

Might I ask where your understanding of this info comes from? I'm curious as am due to travel up from Sussex for a ride behind FS at the NYMR on the Saturday morning so hoping the loco is still operating as booked.

Thanks

Ben

Ben. I know for a fact it is not in service on Monday 14th. I was told if the work being carried out isn't completed, the next opportunity is Friday.

I understand both of these days the loco isn't scheduled to be working which is why the work is being carried out on these dates.

If all goes well with the work and Friday isn't required I don't know if she will run services or it is a plannedstop day anyway.

Monday and Friday are not showing as working days on the NYMR online timetable. Saturday is so you should be ok

Last edited:

Paul Duck

Morning all. Just had a E mail from line manager to say it will be diesel hauled from York To Grosmont this afternoon. Can anybody confirm this?

Poolie

Thanks

Ben

From NYMR website

* Flying Scotsman will be at the NYMR between Saturday 12th March and Sunday 20th March 2016 inclusive and will be in steam each day, apart from Monday 14th and Friday 18th March. Tickets to ride behind the legendary locomotive are sold out.

ENDS

crispy1978

Went to Pickering to see The Flying Scotsman; plenty of people there to witness the occasion! Got some photos but not great quality as people just lean across you, nearly falling on to the rails just to get that slightly better angle!

Managed to get better ones once it had stopped!

AnthonyRail

Established Member
tour to taunton on May 28th is cancelled due to Bristol blockades.

seems a Drone has hit FS on the NYMR according to BBC news.

headshot119

Established Member
tour to taunton on May 28th is cancelled due to Bristol blockades.

seems a Drone has hit FS on the NYMR according to BBC news.

Link to the article in the Yorkshire Post

A POLICE investigation has been launched after a drone collided with the rear carriage of Flying Scotsman as it travelled on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway between Grosmont and Pickering.

The incident happened on Sunday March 13 at around 4pm, when a loud bang was heard by passengers.

ADVERTISING

Linda Wild, from Whitby, who was travelling in carriage H, said: “We could see a drone on the left-hand side of the train and thought it must be taking photos.

Picture gallery: Flying Scotsman at York on its way to Scarborough

“The next thing we knew there was an almighty crash - it sounded like it had crashed into the roof.”

She added: “It was such a shock and could have caused a major accident. What if it had gone through the window?”

Flying Scotsman makes it's way through the gates into the National Railway Museum in York (GL1009/09o)
Flying Scotsman makes it's way through the gates into the National Railway Museum in York (GL1009/09o)
Linda, who was travelling with her husband and some friends, said the rest of the journey was “brilliant” but that the incident had scared her and left her with huge concerns about the use of drones and their safety.

She spoke to an official on the train who said it would be reported to the British Transport Police.

Liz Parkes, head of operations at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) said: “We are aware of a report of a drone grazing the back carriage of the 15.30 60103 Flying Scotsman service from Grosmont on Sunday March 13 in the Huntingbridge area.

“This is currently being investigated by the NYMR and British Transport Police.

“While no damage was caused, obviously drones are distracting to our drivers and could result in a criminal prosecution for endangering trains.

“If any members of the public become aware of any incidents of this nature, we would urge them to report it immediately to a North Yorkshire Moors Railway staff member or the British Tranport Police so it can be investigated further.”

Read more: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...rth-york-moors-outing-1-7802314#ixzz43AzLxGRv

holl1984

It's arriving into Crewe on 15th June at 2pm. This is local to me and would be ideal for me to take my 2 boys (4&1)

It is going London Euston to Holyhead. Would Crewe be a good vantage point? Would it be safe enough for me to take my boys considering some of the stuff I've read? My 1 year old is train mad (his first word was choo choo...not dada or mama!) and loves seeing all the videos of steam trains on YouTube so he would love this.

D1009

Established Member
It's arriving into Crewe on 15th June at 2pm. This is local to me and would be ideal for me to take my 2 boys (4&1)

It is going London Euston to Holyhead. Would Crewe be a good vantage point? Would it be safe enough for me to take my boys considering some of the stuff I've read? My 1 year old is train mad (his first word was choo choo...not dada or mama!) and loves seeing all the videos of steam trains on YouTube so he would love this.
That's another trip planned to use WCRC as the TOC. Unless their difficulties are sorted or another company could take it on, the chances are it won't run.
If it does run I would advise against going to Crewe or any other station to see it, as it is almost certain to attract crowds, which are likely to get in your way. If you can get out somewhere in the countryside, yes there will be other people but not as many, and you will be able to see it at speed, which is more impressive.

Last edited:

holl1984

That's another trip planned to use WCRC as the TOC. Unless their difficulties are sorted or another company could take it on, the chances are it won't run.
If it does run I would advise against going to Crewe or any other station to see it, as it is almost certain to attract crowds, which are likely to get in your way. If you can get out somewhere in the countryside, yes there will be other people but not as many, and you will be able to see it at speed, which is more impressive.

Fab, thank you. We may have no other choice apart from Crewe if my partner has to work as I don't drive and I'm only 5 minutes walk from Hartford station. But, I'm also going to be due my 20 week anomaly scan around that date as I'm currently expecting number 3 so he may be off that day regardless if things go our way!

Jocko

Does anyone know the direction of travel of Flying Scotsman on the Fife Circle evening tour on Sunday 15th May? Is it clockwise (Inverkeithing - Dunfermline - Kirkcaldy - Inverkeithing), or anti-clockwise? I would like to know so I can plan a photography jaunt. Thanks.

Deepgreen

Established Member
'The Railway Magazine' carries a report this month that BT Police will not be prosecuting anyone over the multiple trespass incidents along the ECML near St. Neots during 60103's trip from KX to York because it would be too time-consuming to obtain the recorded evidence and identify miscreants. So, as long as you commit a crime that takes a while to solve and doesn't actually kill anyone, you should be OK!

Altfish

The correct decision.
Give them a good verbal bo***cking and send them on their way. Why waste police time, court time, etc. Free them up for real criminals?

Jocko

Does anyone know the direction of travel of Flying Scotsman on the Fife Circle evening tour on Sunday 15th May? Is it clockwise (Inverkeithing - Dunfermline - Kirkcaldy - Inverkeithing), or anti-clockwise? I would like to know so I can plan a photography jaunt. Thanks.

Take it that's a No then.

Jocko

Thanks. I didn't know about RealTime Trains. This will be a great help. I will check it on the day.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The correct decision.
Give them a good verbal bo***cking and send them on their way. Why waste police time, court time, etc. Free them up for real criminals?

Do you think that trespass onto the railway (in this case one that operates at 125mph) is not a "real crime", then? The people concerned have not been contacted by BTP at all, so any "verbal bo***cking" won't happen. They will get away with it and they and others will get the message that it is OK for the future and repeat until (and probably after) people are killed/maimed.

Then there is the accrued delay to service trains, which has been reported in this instance as several hundred minutes, arising from the selfish and stupid acts of a relatively few people (who would had a perfectly good view from the correct side of the fence anyway). Finally there is the risk of severe curtailment of special trains on the network, based on the increasing risk of trespass, the general vilification of rail enthusiasts (not just 'spotters', but anyone who displays an interest in the railway) and the resultant re-tightening of attitudes towards anyone on stations who doesn't get on the first train out!

Last edited:

Altfish

Do you think that trespass onto the railway (in this case one that operates at 125mph) is not a "real crime", then? The people concerned have not been contacted by BTP at all, so any "verbal bo***cking" won't happen. They will get away with it and they and others will get the message that it is OK for the future and repeat until (and probably after) people are killed/maimed.

Then there is the accrued delay to service trains, which has been reported in this instance as several hundred minutes, arising from the selfish and stupid acts of a relatively few people (who would had a perfectly good view from the correct side of the fence anyway). Finally there is the risk of severe curtailment of special trains on the network, based on the increasing risk of trespass, the general vilification of rail enthusiasts (not just 'spotters', but anyone who displays an interest in the railway) and the resultant re-tightening of attitudes towards anyone on stations who doesn't get on the first train out!

No, it isn't a real crime. The bast**rds that broke into my neighbours' house are committing real crimes. The police gave them a crime number sent the finger prints people round about 8-hours later and then the crime prevention officer 2-weeks later. "We haven't the resources to follow up on this".
Well if they haven't the resources for burglaries then I don't want the police chasing stupid trespassers.
As a kid, I used to sit by the side of the track, run on the line to put pennies on them, cross the line to meet my mates. OK the trains were noisier and slower but we are all here today, apart from one who got killed by a car. (I notice motorways don't have 8' palisade fencing protecting them).

Deepgreen

Established Member
No, it isn't a real crime. The bast**rds that broke into my neighbours' house are committing real crimes. The police gave them a crime number sent the finger prints people round about 8-hours later and then the crime prevention officer 2-weeks later. "We haven't the resources to follow up on this".
Well if they haven't the resources for burglaries then I don't want the police chasing stupid trespassers.
As a kid, I used to sit by the side of the track, run on the line to put pennies on them, cross the line to meet my mates. OK the trains were noisier and slower but we are all here today, apart from one who got killed by a car. (I notice motorways don't have 8' palisade fencing protecting them).

Well, sorry, but it is a real crime. Don't forget that it is the BTP who deal with it, rather than the 'normal' force. Burglaries, etc., are extremely distressing, but the usual issue there is identifying and catching the offenders - this had effectively already been done with the trespassers at St. Neots, who were caught on camera and could easily have been located and charged, with evidence to boot. The railway press holds many incriminating photos to which it would have been quick and easy for the BTP to gain access.

Yes, we all did things when we were young that are not allowed today - it's the nature of the world - that doesn't make it right, and we generally didn't wander for hundreds of yards along 125mph lines with our young children. Bear in mind also that railway trespass includes those who would steal cable, bringing the railway to a stand; those who would maliciously place heavy objects on the line in the hope of causing damage and those who are trying to evade the police for other crimes.

Spamcan81

Well, sorry, but it is a real crime. Don't forget that it is the BTP who deal with it, rather than the 'normal' force. Burglaries, etc., are extremely distressing, but the usual issue there is identifying and catching the offenders - this had effectively already been done with the trespassers at St. Neots, who were caught on camera and could easily have been located and charged, with evidence to boot. The railway press holds many incriminating photos to which it would have been quick and easy for the BTP to gain access.

Yes, we all did things when we were young that are not allowed today - it's the nature of the world - that doesn't make it right, and we generally didn't wander for hundreds of yards along 125mph lines with our young children. Bear in mind also that railway trespass includes those who would steal cable, bringing the railway to a stand; those who would maliciously place heavy objects on the line in the hope of causing damage and those who are trying to evade the police for other crimes.

Easily located? I doubt it. BTP are stretched at the best of times without having to track down umpteen people who strayed the wrong side of the fence to get a view of a steam loco.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Easily located? I doubt it. BTP are stretched at the best of times without having to track down umpteen people who strayed the wrong side of the fence to get a view of a steam loco.

I was going by what the RM article (leader) said, in that that magazine has a collection of photos on their files now and it's probably safe to assume that a significant number of the trangressors were very local (especially those with young children). A quick flick through the photos and some local enquiries...

I'm not pretending that the offenders will be lined up for the taking, but a little BT police work should turn up at least some. Not the same officers who would be dealing with domestic burglaries, either.

At what point will offenders be taken to task if having them on film is not enough, I wonder? The alternative might be the severe restriction of special main line workings that I know, from your activity on at least one other forum, you would not welcome!

Spamcan81

I was going by what the RM article (leader) said, in that that magazine has a collection of photos on their files now and it's probably safe to assume that a significant number of the trangressors were very local (especially those with young children). A quick flick through the photos and some local enquiries...

I'm not pretending that the offenders will be lined up for the taking, but a little BT police work should turn up at least some. Not the same officers who would be dealing with domestic burglaries, either.

At what point will offenders be taken to task if having them on film is not enough, I wonder? The alternative might be the severe restriction of special main line workings that I know, from your activity on at least one other forum, you would not welcome!

Irrespective of what you or I think of the matter, BTP clearly don't feel it's worth pursuing the miscreants and that is that. Frothing around on an internet forum isn't going to change matters one iota.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Irrespective of what you or I think of the matter, BTP clearly don't feel it's worth pursuing the miscreants and that is that. Frothing around on an internet forum isn't going to change matters one iota.

Well, I believe it's called 'discussion' - "frothing around" suggests a level of manic ranting and irrelevance that we haven't yet sunk to here. I see nothing wrong with raising issues and debating them, not least to disabuse some who harbour the view that, for example, railway trespass is "not a real crime" and proclaim it on, of all places, a railway forum. It's also not true that raising issues here does not lead to things changing - I (and I am sure many others) have posted information/requests on various threads here over the years that have led to changes, albeit not at national policy level but nonetheless useful.

Spamcan81

Well, I believe it's called 'discussion' - "frothing around" suggests a level of manic ranting and irrelevance that we haven't yet sunk to here. I see nothing wrong with raising issues and debating them, not least to disabuse some who harbour the view that, for example, railway trespass is "not a real crime" and proclaim it on, of all places, a railway forum. It's also not true that raising issues here does not lead to things changing - I (and I am sure many others) have posted information/requests on various threads here over the years that have led to changes, albeit not at national policy level but nonetheless useful.

quod erat demonstrandum

Established Member
http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/f...tators_will_get_too_close_to_tracks_1_4489552

A visit to the region by the Flying Scotsman has been cancelled, following safety concerns that spectators might try to get too close to the railway tracks. The legendary locomotive was due to run a special excursion train – which was already sold out – from Ely to Norwich and back next month.

However, the trip has been called off, amid fears of a repeat of the scenes from February this year, when about 60 people endangered their lives by getting close to the tracks as the engine steamed through St Neots, in Cambridgeshire.

Its journey was halted for about 15 minutes, costing hundreds of thousands of pounds due to knock-on delays for other trains.

Although the Flying Scotsman will continue to run on other routes, organisers say there are too many stretches of the track between Ely and Norwich which could allow spectators to get too close.

Marcus Robertson, chairman of event organisers Steam Dream, said he was devastated for enthusiasts but was adamant it was the right thing to do.

“Everyone involved with this does it because it’s fun and for the love of it,” he said. “But we’ve also got to preserve our British heritage, and we do that by making sure we protect the good reputation of our steam engines.

“Although Network Rail have not said we can’t do the journey between Norwich and Ely, we have decided to do the sensible thing. At the moment the threat to life and limb is too much.”

Mr Robertson hoped that after 
the initial excitement of the 
locomotive’s return calmed down, then they could put plans in place to bring it back to Norfolk next year instead. It was due to make its 
journey from Ely to Norwich 
and back on May 25. Passengers 
have paid almost £180 for a ticket 
but have now been offered refund 
and first refusal on other available trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.