• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Food & Drink on the railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I've only travelled on the said Airline twice and would have been mightily dissappointed not to be plied with booze all the way. If that's not the case nowadays, then it's definitely declined.

One drink. No seconds. Apparently it’s inappropriate to ask for 4 mini bottles of wine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iainbhx

One drink. No seconds. Apparently it’s inappropriate to ask for 4 mini bottles of wine.

Lufthansa First Class was still pretty good for food and booze a couple of years ago.

Business Class food these days (with the honourable exception of Singapore Airlines) is roughly what it was 20 years ago.

What I miss the most on trains was being able to buy fresh hot buttered toast from the buffet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What I miss the most on trains was being able to buy fresh hot buttered toast from the buffet.

The no-longer-with-us on-train food I miss most is the CrossCountry all day breakfast bap/roll/ciabatta (it went through a few iterations before being dropped). I think it was bacon, sausage, egg and tomato. It survived a fair way into VT's tenure, too. You could get something similar from Traveller's Fare type buffets too. Despite being a bread product it microwaved quite well and wasn't quite as plain as a simple bacon butty.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Mine was about twelve hours, and I think I had about six whiskeys and cokes, no questions.

I'm glad I stick to the train these days.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Mine was about twelve hours, and I think I had about six whiskeys and cokes, no questions.

I'm glad I stick to the train these days.

FWIW I'd far rather pay for it and have as much as I want than be begrudged it. That said, many Wizzair crew, being miserable, lazy so-and-sos as they are, can't even be bothered to do that. (The far superior easyJet crews are happy for you to press your call bell for more food/drink - I bet they get a decent commission off it too).

LittleAH

I genuinely wonder if any TOC actually makes any money on catering. I strongly suspect all make a loss.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
FWIW I'd far rather pay for it and have as much as I want than be begrudged it. That said, many Wizzair crew, being miserable, lazy so-and-sos as they are, can't even be bothered to do that. (The far superior easyJet crews are happy for you to press your call bell for more food/drink - I bet they get a decent commission off it too).

On that trip, nothing was begrudged. It was as though one was a VIP (which was quite nice, given that it was my first flight at age 24).

But I've had a few cheapo flights since. Not trans-atlantic though.

takno

Established Member
I genuinely wonder if any TOC actually makes any money on catering. I strongly suspect all make a loss.
They make the money I spend on the ticket, which could just as easily be going to BA or easyJet. You might as well ask if they make a profit on the plug sockets or free WiFi

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
On that trip, nothing was begrudged. It was as though one was a VIP (which was quite nice, given that it was my first flight at age 24).

But I've had a few cheapo flights since. Not trans-atlantic though.

Oh 20 years ago long haul was very different. Basically, you asked, you got. Even short haul was better, I managed to squeeze in 4 double JDs & coke on a BA flight to Budapest once.

takno

Established Member
Oh 20hears ago long haul was very different. Basically, you asked, you got. Even short haul was better, I managed to squeeze in 4 double JDs & coke on a BA flight to Budapest once.
I managed that on a London Edinburgh flight just before they got rid of the freebies. Given how cheap the flight was and what I got through in the lounge beforehand I may genuinely have drunk through their whole profit margin in that one...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oh 20hears ago long haul was very different. Basically, you asked, you got. Even short haul was better, I managed to squeeze in 4 double JDs & coke on a BA flight to Budapest once.

When I was growing up, there was definitely a sense of 'glamour' about air travel that there isn't now.

I'm glad BA held out for my flight before it all went down hill though :lol:

LittleAH

They make the money I spend on the ticket, which could just as easily be going to BA or easyJet. You might as well ask if they make a profit on the plug sockets or free WiFi

So you expect free food with your train ticket then? That's your logic?

takno

Established Member
So you expect free food with your train ticket then? That's your logic?
I expect a catering service on my long distance train travel. I'm happy enough to pay a reasonable price for it, but expecting it to turn a profit just from direct food sales is missing the value it adds to the whole experience

WesternLancer

Established Member
TBH I reckon the 'free' food offer on some TOC 1st class is generally pretty poor - include LNER in that sadly. I much favoured the paid for restaurant car approach - if you want to pay you can and you get good quality when you do. Portion sizes not begrudged either IIRC. Like Pullman dining on GWR.
For a more modest 1st class offer I think EMT have it right actually - fairly low priced menu of basics, served on china, food is filling, not cordon bleu but not trying to be, nor priced as if.

I assume the move to 'free' food is to soften the pill of the unregulated 1st class fare prices since privatisation, if on expenses and not on off peak Advance 1st tickets, they are so expensive etc that they need to chuck something in to make it look plausible at the cost it is?

big_dirt

I am not impressed with the range, prices or availability on UK trains.

In the 1970's?? there was an automated self-service sandwich and ready meals shop (with microwaves) in Leeds on the Headrow near what used to be Lewis's.

Surely it should not be beyond the wit of man to have some refrigerated automated cabinets and two or three self-operated microwaves on board suitable trains rather than having expensive food on board, a very small trolley or worst of all, nothing. The cabinets would be filled up at strategically located stations, perhaps by M&S, Smiths etc. Passengers would buy food using credit or debit cards (preferably contactless) and food requiring heating placed in microwave. This would not require additional on train staff, so prices ought to be realistic.

Opinions / siggested improvements?

Give people a microwave and they'll microwave something for three times what it needs, then sue you when a bit of hot cheese scalds their lip. Never mind the fact that they'll be microwaving something they brought on themselves.

Babies' bottles will be another legal minefield.

Your suggestion would work well in a world powered by sensible people of good will. But in our current world, people would be taking the train just to get a minor improvable burn and a five figure settlement.

big_dirt

I managed that on a London Edinburgh flight just before they got rid of the freebies. Given how cheap the flight was and what I got through in the lounge beforehand I may genuinely have drunk through their whole profit margin in that one...
Within the last five years, I had three double G&Ts on the Heathrow-Belfast flight. I was expecting one single but the very friendly stewardess asked if I wanted one or two. I said two, she furnished me with two glasses, two tonics and four little bottles of gin.

When she came to collect the empties she asked if I wanted another one. Of course I said yes. One more bottle of gin and can of tonic. I floated off the plane.

I understand BA is a lot different these days though.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
They’re all the same now Guv. Indeed I’d say Squeezy are better than the most of the rest; Mrs BR reports on a recent experience long haul with “the world’s favourite airline” that the food was approximate to gruel.

They will give you a (free) cup of water to go with your home prepared sausage and chutney sandwiches.....(£4 for can of beer -come on ..) - and as for the Pringles , almost more anti-sustainable "food" in the universe. Bah humbug....

mmh

Established Member
I've found things in Europe significantly more expensive than the UK in general. British railway stations and airports seem to be considerably cheaper than abroad even allowing for the fact that stuff abroad seems to cost more too.

Presumably you've been lucky enough to never buy anything other than perhaps a newspaper at a WH Smith "travel" outlet!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Presumably you've been lucky enough to never buy anything other than perhaps a newspaper at a WH Smith "travel" outlet!
I don’t usually shop at places like this as there’s always an alternative. I cannot remember where, but I did once buy a Meal deal from a WHSMith at an Airport as it was the cheapest place, and the price for all three items was cheaper than what I was quoted at the other end on the way home.

Metal_gee_man

So if you've every wondered why Airports exist it isn't for the convenience of the passenger, its purely a profit making exercise from their retail provision, they make more money from retail than the landing fees for the aircraft (so in effect its a shopping mall with a long piece of tarmac attached to it to park an aircraft)

This is even more true when you find out that Travelex (who supply foreign currency at Heathrow) pay in excess of £50m in fees and rent to Heathrow each year to be there! They take part in a profit sharing contract that means they take a % of the profit, forcing them to pay the staff minimum wage, and open nearly 20 hours a day! 364 day a year
The same system applies at Eurotunnel, and again at Dover Ferry Port etc...
I would be shocked if Network rail didn't run a scheme very similar or at least charge extortionate rents forcing prices up.

geoffk

Established Member
The Greggs at Piccadilly is not on the station. It's just outside. That may make a doifference.
At W H Smith on Stockport station, I can get a coffee and cake for 99p. This is obviously an "offer" but has been in place for some time. Hebden Bridge station cafe has charged £1 for coffee for as long as I've lived in the area (16 years) yet at Rochdale it's more than £2 so I never go in there. Some outlets like Pumpkin give discount with a Bite Card, but this is now only 10% - was 20%.

Last year I had a whisky from the trolley on the Far North line. This was quite expensive but I reckoned I would not be doing it again!

F Great Eastern

Established Member
On the trains for sure but I haven't noticed that some of the shops in the station are more expensive. I was at Manchester Victoria recently and indulged in a Gregg's sausage roll (a guilty pleasure of mine) and it was the same price as you'd pay on the high street. It seemed the same with the M&S Food outlet there too.

There's a substantial mark-up on many Greggs outlets at stations - Ipswich for one.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I use BA long haul several returns a year and have never been refused as much booze as I could drink. They aren't proactive with drinks runs compared to other airlines, it's pre meal, with meal and that's it, but all you have to do is ask and not be silly (four at once!)

I always ask for and get two drinks on the first service, another with dinner and then throughout the flight. Just pop to the galley and be pleasant is what I'd say (the call bell is easier to miss/ignore). Frequently you're offered two without even asking for two... I was given two Tigers 40 minutes from landing back from the Far East recently, having only asked for one!

sprunt

This is even more true when you find out that Travelex (who supply foreign currency at Heathrow) pay in excess of £50m in fees and rent to Heathrow each year to be there! They take part in a profit sharing contract that means they take a % of the profit, forcing them to pay the staff minimum wage, and open nearly 20 hours a day! 364 day a year
The same system applies at Eurotunnel, and again at Dover Ferry Port etc...
I would be shocked if Network rail didn't run a scheme very similar or at least charge extortionate rents forcing prices up.

To be fair, that the airport/ferry port/rail station are doing this doesn't make it not a rip-off, it just means they're participating in the rip-off. Especially the airport money changers, the rates they offer are a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed. I saw one today offering less than one euro to the pound.

johnnychips

Established Member
To be fair, that the airport/ferry port/rail station are doing this doesn't make it not a rip-off, it just means they're participating in the rip-off. Especially the airport money changers, the rates they offer are a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed. I saw one today offering less than one euro to the pound.

Yes, but this is the same argument as high trolley prices on trains. If you are organised, purchase food or currency in advance. If you are disorganised or have to travel suddenly, then you have to accept the higher prices.

sprunt

Except the airport exchange rates are beyond the price of a cuppa on the train - they're equivalent to charging a tenner for it.

maire23

And by the way, the same goes for motorway service stations. High prices, poor quality. Unnecessary if you think ahead.

There are some motorway service stations that are very good but few and far between. Gloucester service station is fantastic- it has a farm shop which sells fresh produce from local farms and their handmade pasties are sublime. Far nicer than the usual Ginsters type fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.