• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football Club Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Heart of Midlothian share a unique association with Sunderland, as at the end of the 1894/5 season, being the best teams in the Scottish and English Leagues, they played in a match titled "Championship of the World".

In a high-scoring match, Sunderland ran out winners by 5-3.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
You learn something every day! :p

Hearts' name is derived from a 1818 novel by Sir Walter Scott [hmm... maybe I should name a club ater my work :lol:]. Tottenham Hotspur's suffix is also thought to be unique, as it [Hotspur] is derived from a prominent land owner of the era.

See here for a Wikipedia article of interest.

Eagle

Established Member
Heart of Midlothian share a unique association with Sunderland, as at the end of the 1894/5 season, being the best teams in the Scottish and English Leagues, they played in a match titled "Championship of the World".

In a high-scoring match, Sunderland ran out winners by 5-3.

And they've played it every year since; the first time I was in Edinburgh was on one such matchday and I did wonder why there were so many Mackems in town...

Bury FC are not to be confused with Bury Town FC from Suffolk, who play in the Isthmian Premier four tiers lower.

Ivo

Established Member
Canvey Island also play in the Isthmian League at present.

Sigh... If they had stayed at Conference level they'd be playing Bath this season [and last season]... For those who don't know, the former owner, Jeff King, had to force the club's resignation because he was covering their weekly £8,000 losses himself and could no longer do so.

Anyhow, on to the game. As ever, an example:

Person X says Preston North End.
Person Y says Bury, because it was once suggested that their name be changed to Manchester North End.
Person Z says Tottenham Hotspur, because their ground's name also ends in "Lane".

And so, on we go. Who wants to take us on from Spurs?
Bury and Tottenham Hotspur play at grounds ending in "lane".

:shock:

---------------------

The night is coming to an end... the daytime folk are getting ready to take over from us! :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In answer to your amazement at my last answer, I took the part of the "Person Z" in your rules and saw this as far too good an opportunity to miss:D

Well, we are plummeting down the minor leagues, so I can say from having watched a certain team play during a visit.....Bearstead and Canvey Island both play in yellow shirts and blue shorts.

I think that our sojourn into the minor leagues might descend even further to the level of the Scrabster Ladies Sunday League...so for the sake of sanity, if nothing else, can the next club be a better known one such as Bolton Wanderers

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Wycombe Wanderers and Bolton Wanderers both have a second name that suggests they look forward to playing away matches...but current form suggests the opposite :roll:

Wycombe Wanderers had a player from my school called Andrew Reilly, who made a few appearances. Another old boy is Richard Lee, who plays for Brentford.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Like Oldham Athletic, Crystal Palace were also founder members of the Premier League in 1992, and no longer play at the top level.

gg1

Established Member
Like Oldham Athletic, Crystal Palace were also founder members of the Premier League in 1992, and no longer play at the top level.

Both Crystal Palace and Norwich achieved rather unexpected 3rd place finishes in Division 1/Premier League in the early 90s.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Alan Shearer scroed 148 Goals in 303 games for Newcastle united and won .......... nothing.

His only medal came with Blackburn Rovers

Robinson

The Carlos Tevez saga is well-known, but Leeds United now also, it seems, have problems of their own with a wantaway player (Andy O'Brien). Their manager has also declared that the player will "never play for the club again".

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Who, along with playing for newcastle has also turned out for Portsmouth, Bolton and began his career with Bradford

deltic1989

Established Member
Lincoln City were the other team playing when a stand caught fire at valley parade. Bit morbid for my debut on this thread i apologise but it was the only link i could think of.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Dean Windass played for Hull City , Aberdeen, Oxford United, Bradford City,Sheffield United (Loan), Sheffield Wednseday (Loan), Oldham Athletic (Loan), Darlington and Middlesbrough

SS4

Established Member
With 12 letters Middlesbrough are the longest single-named team in the football league. Inverness Caledonian Thistle have the longest name overall though

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As this thread does not appear to be a transport related quiz it's now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.