• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Oswyntail

Established Member
Just heard on 5Live that Manchester United were accepting pre-orders for the fourth round game against Fulham before this replay kicked off. 5Live portrayed it as confidence but I see it as arrogant

(or am I forbidden from this because it regards the BBC's favourite team?)
Could be a sign that ManU are about to fold - like HMV, selling vouchers then keeping the money for administration

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JoeH

Here's one of those "Old Trafford Decisions" for all the nation to see.

Rooney in line, kept just onside by the defender's back foot, but called offside and the goal is not given. Instantly dismissed by the commentators as offside, not replayed again and ignored in the post match coverage in favour of the controversial handball decision.

2qi9w6q.jpg

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Now then. I am going to set a question that is very difficult to answer and one that even the question-setters on both University Challenge and on Mastermind thought was too difficult to set on their programmes:-

What was the last home game played by Manchester United in any competition that balne-wonderer did not find a single query to make about concerning either the players on the team, those on the substitutes bench or any member of the management, directors or supporters of the club ?

JoeH

Just heard on 5Live that Manchester United were accepting pre-orders for the fourth round game against Fulham before this replay kicked off. 5Live portrayed it as confidence but I see it as arrogant

(or am I forbidden from this because it regards the BBC's favourite team?)

Villa have been advertising and selling half season tickets as a way to to guarantee a spot at Wembley for the league cup final.

Some might see that as arrogance but considering the current score in the tie it might be more wishful thinking.

richw

Veteran Member
Bayern Munich say they will appoint Pep Guardiola as their new (manager/coach ?) at the end of this season.

Another blow to those "journalists" in the British sporting press who believe the Premier League in England is "the finest in the world".....<(

coincidentally Fergie announced last week he expects to be about for 3 more years. Pep signs a 3 year contract. Pep announces his next job after Bayern will be in England. Either a coinicidence or just interestingly timed announcements, to get the press into overdrive?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Feethams
Darlo Arena
Heritage Park
Of course we backed out of Dean Street

The other ground, I am gonna guess Norton Sports Complex, sure the Reserves played there

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Got me stumped then fella. Was it local? Was it during your time supporting? Did you have a game at somewhere like the Brewery Field?

Nearly right but still no cigar. It is local to Darlington and it was a competitive game

Here's one of those "Old Trafford Decisions" for all the nation to see.

Rooney in line, kept just onside by the defender's back foot, but called offside and the goal is not given. Instantly dismissed by the commentators as offside, not replayed again and ignored in the post match coverage in favour of the controversial handball decision.

2qi9w6q.jpg

he is a actually marginally offside. its inches but you can see he is off. as was hernandez for the goal and vidic against liverpool.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Rooney is definitely offside in the above clip. Always good when someone posts evidence to try and back themselves up and actually discredits themselves.

JoeH

he is a actually marginally offside. its inches but you can see he is off. as was hernandez for the goal and vidic against liverpool.

Funnily enough before I posted the image I wasn't entirely sure how clear it was so I asked several people their opinions (none United fans) and all of them agreed it was in line.

When both are in line the attacker would get the benefit of the doubt. The fact that the defender's back foot is in the air makes him look further from the line than he actually is, with his foot actually grounded it would look even more onside.

Rooney is definitely offside in the above clip. Always good when someone posts evidence to try and back themselves up and actually discredits themselves.

I didnt want to put it as bluntly as that but yeah. odd.

still no comments on why it was a pen to man utd but not to west ham.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now then. I am going to set a question that is very difficult to answer and one that even the question-setters on both University Challenge and on Mastermind thought was too difficult to set on their programmes:-

What was the last home game played by Manchester United in any competition that balne-wonderer did not find a single query to make about concerning either the players on the team, those on the substitutes bench or any member of the management, directors or supporters of the club ?

I critisise my own club more than anyone else. it remains to be seen what joke our season ticket prices will be next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
Funnily enough before I posted the image I wasn't entirely sure how clear it was so I asked several people their opinions (none United fans) and all of them agreed it was in line.

When both are in line the attacker would get the benefit of the doubt. The fact that the defender's back foot is in the air makes him look further from the line than he actually is, with his foot actually grounded it would look even more onside.

your screen print is a second early before the ball was passed to him. By the time the ball was played he was offside. The angle of the camera doesn't help, but use the mowed lines on the grass and he is offside. Given away by being passed the mow line and the defender the other side. The player sending to Rooney has still got his foot back to swing. When he swung Rooney was offside evidenced by the mowing. As he became in the darker area, defender was still in light area

the joy of beating Birmingham and getting into the 4th round has now worn off as we've realised that Gareth bale might well play against our defence.

hopefully avb will be kind to us.

JoeH

your screen print is a second early before the ball was passed to him. By the time the ball was played he was offside. The angle of the camera doesn't help, but use the mowed lines on the grass and he is offside. Given away by being passed the mow line and the defender the other side.

My screenshot is taken from the exact moment the television producers chose to pause.

Here is a higher resolution close up with a line drawn along the mow mark (if we assume that these are straight). The boots are clearly in line here and the fact is that the defender's boot is raised off the ground, grounded his foot would appear slightly closer to the goal line.

mlnwnq.jpg

We are talking about mere millimeters here and without access to higher resolution images taken from cameras with a much higher frame rate there's no way to be more certain.

If even with blown up still frames we cannot be certain then you can be sure the linesman couldn't be certain in real time, in which case the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker.

My screenshot is taken from the exact moment the television producers chose to pause.

Here is a higher resolution close up with a line drawn along the mow mark (if we assume that these are straight). The boots are clearly in line here and the fact is that the defender's boot is raised off the ground, grounded his foot would appear slightly closer to the goal line.

mlnwnq.jpg

We are talking about mere millimeters here and without access to higher resolution images taken from cameras with a much higher frame rate there's no way to be more certain.

If even with blown up still frames we cannot be certain then you can be sure the linesman couldn't be certain in real time, in which case the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker.

bottom line is he is offside and like rich said by the time the ball is played he'd be even more offside. the fact is that the decision was correct.

richw

Veteran Member

mlnwnq.jpg

The tv producers have frozen early in that case to make it sound more marginal, as it was around 0.5 seconds early. Rooney is running towards goal, defender away from goal, 0.5 seconds will be around 2.5 metres each. Average footballer runs 5 metres per second.

JoeH

The tv producers have frozen early in that case to make it sound more marginal, as it was around 0.5 seconds early. Rooney is running towards goal, defender away from goal, 0.5 seconds will be around 2.5 metres each. Average footballer runs 5 metres per second.

I've paused the image myself from the live footage and with clear daylight visible between the defender's boot and the ball Rooney is certainly not five meters ahead, he's either mere milimeters on or off and it's impossible to tell either with still frames from television or for the linesman there. Unless the linesman can be certain a player is offside he cannot rule offside.

Considering after the initial replay it wasn't mentioned again either by the live commentators or in the post match recap it certainly seems like an oddly subtle conspiracy from the ITV producers to make it look more marginal.

richw

Veteran Member
I've paused the image myself from the live footage and with clear daylight visible between the defender's boot and the ball Rooney is certainly not five meters ahead, he's either mere milimeters on or off and it's impossible to tell either with still frames from television or for the linesman there. Unless the linesman can be certain a player is offside he cannot rule offside.

Considering after the initial replay it wasn't mentioned again either by the live commentators or in the post match recap it certainly seems like an oddly subtle conspiracy from the ITV producers to make it look more marginal.

can you get me a linesman view camera, he is perfectly positioned, and therefore his judgement is to be trusted, and I agree fully with the offside shout.

JoeH

can you get me a linesman view camera, he is perfectly positioned, and therefore his judgement is to be trusted, and I agree fully with the offside shout.

I obviously cannot get access to different camera angles, but what I can tell you is that your assertion that my still image is taken a second early and by the time the ball is released Rooney is five meters ahead is wrong.

Having paused on a single frame where the ball is in motion and no longer being touched by the boot I can say the players are still roughly in line and behind the mow line.

The fact that we can even have a discussion about the location of people's boots in individual frames should be indication enough that the human eye cannot be certain that Rooney was offside. The instruction to the officials would be to not rule offside unless certain of it.

edit:

I just realised the first image could give the impression that the ball isn't quite yet being kicked because it looks like the player has his weight on his right foot and is about to kick it with his left foot and the ball wont be played for several more frames. In reality the ball is actually being played with his right foot and is within a frame the ball will be gone with clear daylight visible.

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
I didn't see this part of the match as I was on my way to work, so I have to ask how long was the pass?
The reason I ask is that it's physically impossible to for a referee's assistant to look along the line at Rooney's position and to see the exact second the ball is played.

JoeH

I didn't see this part of the match as I was on my way to work, so I have to ask how long was the pass?
The reason I ask is that it's physically impossible to for a referee's assistant to look along the line at Rooney's position and to see the exact second the ball is played.

It was quite a long pass. The ball was released not far past the edge of the centre circle and Rooney didn't make contact with the ball until he was in line with the penalty spot. Rooney played the ball back across the area to Hernandez who flicked it in but the whistle had already been blown.

Donny Dave

Established Member
For once, I'm going to back the officials here. While Rooney may well be onside, if you look at the posture of the players, Rooney is leaning foward, while the defender is leaning the other way, giving the impression that he is a yard behind him when the ball is played. That's what the linesman will have seen, and he will have judged Rooney offside because of it.

As I said a page or 2 back, referees and match officials have a very difficult job, and do not get the benefit of (endless) replays. Until a review system (such as those used in Tennis and Cricket), complete with hawkeye is implemented, they have to rely on what their eyes tell them. No matter what decisions they make, there will always be a lot of people who disagree with them, as the previous few posts show ....

JoeH

For once, I'm going to back the officials here. While Rooney may well be onside, if you look at the posture of the players, Rooney is leaning foward, while the defender is leaning the other way, giving the impression that he is a yard behind him when the ball is played. That's what the linesman will have seen, and he will have judged Rooney offside because of it.

As I said a page or 2 back, referees and match officials have a very difficult job, and do not get the benefit of (endless) replays. Until a review system (such as those used in Tennis and Cricket), complete with hawkeye is implemented, they have to rely on what their eyes tell them. No matter what decisions they make, there will always be a lot of people who disagree with them, as the previous few posts show ....

I absolutely agree that officials have a terribly difficult job and the screenshot wasn't posted as a dig at them or because I thought Manchester United were robbed of the goal. It's obviously extremely close and I can understand why it was given offside because Rooney's movement and pace meant in real time it did look like he was probably offside. Both defender and attacker are actually moving in the same direction but Rooney is travelling much faster.

I do think though that the advice to officials to not flag offside unless they are certain that it is exists because the governing bodies are very much aware that humans are not infallible, which is why in this instance I think the assistant should have not ruled it out but I understand why he did.

The reason I posted was simply because many people think that Manchester United get every decision in their favour including in this actual game, and here is an example where by a very fine margin a decision may well have gone against United which would have been ignored by everyone here, rival fans and the press.

Darandio

Established Member
Nearly right but still no cigar. It is local to Darlington and it was a competitive game

Surely if we go through the local grounds we will get it then! :D

Kingsway?
Darlington Road, Ferryhill?

Got a sneaking suspicion it was St James Park though.

Darandio

Established Member
nope - nearly right but STILL no cigar - keep going

Ah right, you might want to revise the number of Darlington home grounds.

In 1955/56, Darlington drew with Carlisle away in the FA Cup. The replay was played the following week but at St James Park and Darlington were designated the home side.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ah right, you might want to revise the number of Darlington home grounds.

In 1955/56, Darlington drew with Carlisle away in the FA Cup. The replay was played the following week but at St James Park and Darlington were designated the home side.

that is a cup replay - it doesnt count ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This is killing me now, I have searched on Google and cannot find anything.

I am going to take a few guesses here

1. Brinkburn Road
2. Northallerton
3. Ayresome Park

Or

Dare I say it
Victoria Park
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

ALMOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shall i tell you?