• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

richw

Veteran Member
Look on the bright side Valenta, if Pardew does go, at least there is a decent manager available for once :lol:

and it would follow in the footsteps of recruiting Pardew. hire the manager southampton have just sacked.

I thought there was something wrong with my TV set this afternoon. It said Michael Owen scored a goal. Apparently his 150th premier league goal, 118 of which were for Liverpool and he left in 2004. Whats the opposite of prolific as that is definitely where Owen has been since he left Liverpool, 32 goals in 9 years, for a striker. I will never talk about Andy Carroll or Torres not scoring much again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Donny Dave

Established Member
To be fair to Owen, he has spent a season playing for Real Madrid, and since then, he has been a bit part player for both Newcastle and Manchester United (102 games in 7 years), plus has been injured for most of the season so far.

richw

Veteran Member
To be fair to Owen, he has spent a season playing for Real Madrid, and since then, he has been a bit part player for both Newcastle and Manchester United (102 games in 7 years), plus has been injured for most of the season so far.

When you look at it like that its a 1 in 3 goals to game ratio.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
First goal in the PL since October 2011 apparently.

His last PL goal was in the final game of 2010-2011 season, so would have been around May 2011. Its is first goal in all competitions since October 2011, when he scored against Aldershot for Manchester United

Last edited:

familyguy99

Oldham lost again today against Coventry as they let Coventry score in 94th Mins to won 2-1 :( Matt Smith score for us in 89th mins to make it 1-1 and look like Latics will get good draw against them but like quite few times this season, they let Coventry score right at end of match to win the match and Latics have now lost 6 of 7 matches in LG1, hopely thing can improve soon or we might found ourself in bottom 4 of table.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20996543

I'm not sure how long we can keep playing this bad at home and fluking results. a narrow one nil win over bottom of the table bristol City.

back home watching wba v villa now. villa turning a corner?

SS4

Established Member
I'm not sure how long we can keep playing this bad at home and fluking results. a narrow one nil win over bottom of the table bristol City.

back home watching wba v villa now. villa turning a corner?

Don't bet on it. Only difference this time is that time ran out before WBA could score a third. Still, I can show my face around the house with a draw

Don't bet on it. Only difference this time is that time ran out before WBA could score a third. Still, I can show my face around the house with a draw

good game though mate. work should be fun on monday. looking forward to tomorrows games as well.
someone mentioned the Michael Johnson situation the other day. although I like johnson as he is actually s leeds fan it does annoy me that he's thrown away his career due to his lifestyle whereas players like Darren Fletcher could and I suspect will have their careers cruelly taken away from them. shame.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I wonder how many Gers fans are looking forward to their 6am get up on a Sunday to ensure they get to Peterhead for midday? :roll:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

A pity that the two-goal lead eventually was put back to par with a 2-2 draw by the time that the final whistle went.

I sincerely hope that this scoreline is not a reverse continuation of my mathematical Aston Villa "goals-conceded" league matches sequence, as this now reads 8-4-3-2-1-2...:cry:
I wonder how many Gers fans are looking forward to their 6am get up on a Sunday to ensure they get to Peterhead for midday? :roll:

What is the overnight and Sunday morning weather forecast for that coastal area of north-east Scotland ?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
What is the overnight and Sunday morning weather forecast for that coastal area of north-east Scotland ?

According to some locals on a Rangers Facebook page it's currently freezing but there isn't a snowflake in sight. What it's like up through Dunblane and Forfar is another matter though.

Donny Dave

Established Member
According to the BBC weather, it's going to be warm (+1 or +2 degrees) between now and tomorrow lunchtime, with only the odd shower around.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I confidently predict that Peterhead in their home match against Rangers have far more chances of equalling their record defeat score of 0-10 (against Fraserburgh in 1974) than of equalling their record home win of 17-0 (against Fort William im 1998).....:cry:

just realised I said something non negative about a man utd player (not that it has anything to do with man utd I just feel sorry for the lad) shock horror.

looking forward to the games tomorrow.

richw

Veteran Member
just realised I said something non negative about a man utd player (not that it has anything to do with man utd I just feel sorry for the lad) shock horror.

looking forward to the games tomorrow.

Were you feeling Ok? Michael Johnson definitely looks like he's spent too much time in the kebab shop!

Were you feeling Ok? Michael Johnson definitely looks like he's spent too much time in the kebab shop!

people on here are very quick to moan at me and report me when I simply question a ref decision. I genuinely feel bad for Fletcher. what an awful situation for the lad.

richw

Veteran Member
I am very quickly growing a fondness for Swansea City. A very well run club, that definitely entertain on the pitch. Their players also don't seem to have become out of touch with reality neither. Angel Rangel last night stopped a sandwich chain manager from chucking out all their unsold food for the day at closing time, and instead bought the left overs and took to a homeless shelter.

Swansea City's Angel Rangel and his wife have been praised by fans after driving around the snowy streets of Swansea on Friday night looking for homeless people to help.

The Premier League defender had tweeted his 24,000 followers on Friday night asking for suggestions of where to go because he had "food going spare".

He later tweeted "it was just a little gesture" and was his wife Nikki's idea.

They are reported to have ended up at a homeless shelter in the city.

Fans have since taken to social media to praise the actions of the pair, with one saying Rangel is in danger "of giving footballers a good name".

The Spanish defender first said on Twitter: "Anyone knows the location of homeless people in Swansea? I got food going spare! #randomtweet"

A little later he wrote: "Thanks so much for the suggestions. It was @MI55Y_28 idea so we are driving around. Terrible to be out in this weather."

He then tweeted: "Wow we r amazed at the amount of tweets we r receiving. Thanks a lot but it was just a little gesture we drove for only 1 hour and felt great".

The gesture caused something of a sensation on Twitter among football fans.

One fan said: "What an absolute top bloke @arangelz is! Exception to the modern day football. Proud to say he plays for my team. Swansea thanks you angel!"

It was reported Rangel and his wife had been at a sandwich chain when the manager said he would have to throw food away because it was closing for the night.

He told CNN: "My wife, Nikki, who is a very caring and charitable person, asked if we could have them for the homeless rather than see them thrown in the bin.

"They agreed and we drove around Swansea for over an hour, but couldn't find any homeless people as it was so cold out on the streets with all the snow."

They were eventually invited to a homeless shelter after the tweet did the rounds on social media.

He said it was something the pair were now going to do on a regular basis.

Rangel has been a regular in the Swansea side this season and has been a popular figure among fans since signing in 2007

great club rich. went down there a couple of years ago. They beat us 3 0 but great locals and had a beer with them in our hotel after the game. Great away day.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Apparently Paulo Di Canio spent last night at the County Ground in Swindon snow clearing, and then bought everyone who helped pizza as a thank you.

Credit to Angel Rangel too, I was just about to post that.

richw

Veteran Member
great club rich. went down there a couple of years ago. They beat us 3 0 but great locals and had a beer with them in our hotel after the game. Great away day.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Swansea as my brother lived there from 2009-2011. Always seemed a welcoming place, and locals were very friendly and up for a chat in the pubs.

Donny Dave

Established Member
Heavy snow in North London currently, pitch inspection in about 20 minutes at White Hart Lane.
Still snowing in North London, but the game is going ahead.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Heavy snow in North London currently, pitch inspection in about 20 minutes at White Hart Lane.
Still snowing in North London, but the game is going ahead.

Well what a complete shock - Ferguson wanted the match on and blimey

it's on.

Just showed pictures of him laughing and joking with his arm round the ref, if Fergsuon had wanted it off it would most definitely be off.

SS4

Established Member
Well what a complete shock - Ferguson wanted the match on and blimey

it's on.

Just showed pictures of him laughing and joking with his arm round the ref, if Fergsuon had wanted it off it would most definitely be off.

Odd that isn't it? Talksport's guy at the ground was pessimistic to boot. I wonder what AVB thinks?

Let's assess the BBC's bias - this is from today's match report at Tottenham: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21002574
This is one of the hardest games United have left to play. Tottenham are unbeaten in their last seven games in all competitions. They ended their 27-match winless run against United at Old Trafford in September and know that if they are to be regarded as genuine title challengers they need to beat the top six sides more regularly. They've already lost against Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton and Manchester City this season.

Now compare this to the match thread from Newcastle United's defeat: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20996823
Their first victory at Newcastle boosted the Premier League survival chances of Brian McDermott's side, leaving the Magpies without a win in six games.

Just two points now separate the teams and, as much as the three points will encourage the Royals, it will also depress a Newcastle side who were on top for large parts of this match.

Much of that was down to Cabaye, making his first start for Newcastle since 11 November, during which time Alan Pardew's side have won twice in 11 Premier League games.

Lastly to compare with the other United in the league: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham-united
West Ham went close through Mohamed Diame and Kevin Nolan in the early moments and were denied a penalty by referee Howard Webb when Marouane Chamakh stumbled under the challenge of Clint Hill and went down after a tangle of legs with Shaun Wright-Phillips. ...

as West Ham sensed a winner, Winston Reid's fierce goal-bound shot was blocked bravely by Stephane Mbia after a goalmouth scramble, before Joe Cole rounded Cesar only to see his shot turned away by Hill as Rangers held on.

(note that QPR are referred to as Rangers, this I have no trouble with as they're the only rangers in the Premier League (if not England)

Why is it that, even in context, Newcastle United and West Ham United lose their suffix yet Manchester United lose their prefix essentially making the latter representative of all teams with United in their name. I'd like to make it clear that if Manchester United were the only United in the Premier League I'd have no trouble with this practice but it seems both arrogant and disrespectful of the BBC.

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Odd that isn't it? Talksport's guy at the ground was pessimistic to boot. I wonder what AVB thinks?

Let's assess the BBC's bias - this is from today's match report at Tottenham: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21002574

Now compare this to the match thread from Newcastle United's defeat: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20996823

Lastly to compare with the other United in the league: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham-united

(note that QPR are referred to as Rangers, this I have no trouble with as they're the only rangers in the Premier League (if not England)

Why is it that, even in context, Newcastle United and West Ham United lose their suffix yet Manchester United lose their prefix essentially making the latter representative of all teams with United in their name. I'd like to make it clear that if Manchester United were the only United in the Premier League I'd have no trouble with this practice but it seems both arrogant and disrespectful of the BBC.

Bias and the BBC go together like Morecambe and Wise.

It is disrespectful and it's annoying but it won't stop.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It's not just the BBC though, when Manchester United and West Ham United met in the cup replay in mid week ITV referred to West Ham United as "West Ham" and Manchester United as "United". I can only presume that, even in that fixture, if Manchester United were referred to as "Manchester" some supporters might confuse Manchester United with Manchester City, whereas "United" clearly causes no confusion at all.

JoeH

It couldn't just be that Manchester United are commonly known as 'United' and West Ham and Newcastle aren't. Couldn't be that, must be a conspiracy.

BBC call Manchester City 'City' but that's different because there aren't other teams called City in the division. No Swansea, no Norwich, no Stoke. It simply must be different otherwise people would complain about that in this thread and they never do.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Well what a complete shock - Ferguson wanted the match on and blimey ...it's on.

I wonder if he remembers what the match score (and result) was at Old Trafford earlier in the season when Tottenham Hotspur were the visitors...:roll:

EM2

Established Member
It's not just the BBC though, when Manchester United and West Ham United met in the cup replay in mid week ITV referred to West Ham United as "West Ham" and Manchester United as "United". I can only presume that, even in that fixture, if Manchester United were referred to as "Manchester" some supporters might confuse Manchester United with Manchester City, whereas "United" clearly causes no confusion at all.
That was infuriating, especially as (as I think I've mentioned earlier) West Ham United were formed two years before Newton Heath LYR Football Club changed their name.