• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrew bell

wolves made 2 mistakes, kept mccarthy at least 2 months too long then panicked and appointed terry Connor. I think if they had appointed Stollbakken last Jan/Feb Wolves still would of gone down but would prob now be around playoffs

Oswyntail

Established Member
Considering a few clubs (AV, Newcastle, Wolves, Birmingham, Leeds, Ipswich, Liverpool even?), perhaps the problem is that they go for "Celebrity" managers who, after an initial period of success, find that the motivational power of simply being themselves is not enough. They do not have the wisdom to buy sensibly, and eventually are dismissed, leaving their club to sink. What they really needed was a good, well-trained less high profile manager who could spend his time doing the job rather than being distracted by being himself.

Johnuk123

Established Member
wolves made 2 mistakes, kept mccarthy at least 2 months too long then panicked and appointed terry Connor. I think if they had appointed Stollbakken last Jan/Feb Wolves still would of gone down but would prob now be around playoffs

That's about right, I can't see Saunders being there when we kick off in div. 1 in August.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Time now to regroup and remember how Wigan Athletic performed in the last quarter of last season when all seemed totally lost and relegation looked to be a certainty. If they could do what they did, so can your team.

I wouldn't be so confident about that for two reasons. Firstly, I think Martinez is by a country mile a better manager than Lambert, I know who'd I want to rescue my side from relegation. The former is also way more experienced in such matters. Secondly, Wigan have been there, done that so many times now. They know what is needed in such times and seem to pull it off year after year. To the best of my memory, Villa have never stood relegation as starkly in the face as Wigan have, they come close last year but were nowhere near as bad as the Latics. It'll be completely new territory for Villa if they are where they are now come May - if Wigan are there too the Lancashire club will have one crucial advantage - they know what to do as a team, Villa can either guess or call on the experience of just one or two players. That's why I'd err on the side of caution if saying Villa can do it too.

richw

Veteran Member
Have just seen on BBC football another play has turned down money to ensure he is playing regularly.
Jack Butland has rejected Chelsea talks as he has said playing regularly is all he is interested in. Dont think Birmingham will be too happy with that as they are desperate to sell their most valuable players due to their financial issues.

familyguy99

I see Oldham are going to be on ITV again as they match against Everton will be show live on ITV1 on Saturday 16th February at 6pm and also Latics will get £233.200 for been on TV, more Money coming to Oldham then :D

Also see Man Utd are going to be on TV again too as they match against Reading (FA Cup Fifth Round) will be show on ESPN on Monday 18th February, I right of thinking it be 39 Successive times that Man Utd FA Cup matches is show on TV?

Off FA website

ITV and ESPN will feature five live ties from The FA Cup with Budweiser Fifth Round and there’s the bonus of a Fourth Round replay to look forward to as well.

Luton Town v Millwall gets proceedings underway for ESPN from Kenilworth Road at 12.45pm on Saturday 16 February as the Hatters look to build on their famous giantkilling of Norwich City last week.

ITV continue with the Fifth Round coverage later that day with Oldham Athletic v Everton from Boundary Park at 6pm.

The Latics pulled off a huge shock as Matt Smith scored twice in a 3-2 win over Brendan Rodgers’s Liverpool in the Fourth Round.

Sunday 17 February kicks-off with the last remaining Fourth Round replay as Chelsea host Brentford at Stamford Bridge on ITV at 12pm.

The FA Cup holders had to rely on an 83rd minute goal from Fernando Torres to rescue a 2-2 draw at Griffin Park last Sunday.

The Fifth Round coverage continues on Sunday with ESPN broadcasting Manchester City v Leeds United from the Etihad at 2pm.

Fans can switch back to ITV at 3.55pm as Huddersfield Town or Leicester City take on Roberto Martinez’s Wigan Athletic.

The bumper weekend of FA Cup TV coverage continues to Monday 18 February with Manchester United v Reading from Old Trafford at 8pm on ESPN.

All the clubs competing in the Fifth Round live ties will receive £233,200 from the broadcast fund with the winners earning an extra £180,000.

Both Chelsea and Brentford get £68,200 from the broadcast fund for their replay with the winners taking home £90,000 from the prize fund.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/News/2013/Jan/fifth-round-proper-tv-selections-300113.aspx

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Am I the only one who thinks that, from a fan's POV, it's shameful that only two of eight fixtures are played at 1500 on a Saturday?

Clip

Established Member
Considering a few clubs (AV, Newcastle, Wolves, Birmingham, Leeds, Ipswich, Liverpool even?), perhaps the problem is that they go for "Celebrity" managers who, after an initial period of success, find that the motivational power of simply being themselves is not enough. They do not have the wisdom to buy sensibly, and eventually are dismissed, leaving their club to sink. What they really needed was a good, well-trained less high profile manager who could spend his time doing the job rather than being distracted by being himself.

Pardew is no celebrity manager. Have you been smoking weed or something?;)

Pleased with 3 points last night but second half shows how poor his tactics are. We should've destroyed them last night. Ill smile a happy smile when villa go down.

richw

Veteran Member
Pardew is no celebrity manager. Have you been smoking weed or something?;)

Pleased with 3 points last night but second half shows how poor his tactics are. We should've destroyed them last night. Ill smile a happy smile when villa go down.

Could I suggest reading his post a little more. he states they get sacked, that definitely wont happen with Pardew. Cant afford to sack him. But I'm pretty sure some of your other recent managers did fall into that category.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looking at all of tonights games, many are predictable, but I can decide on Liverpool and Arsenal. Both sides are rather inconsistent and depending on what turns up for both teams. We will either have a 0-0, or a high scoring game, as both seem to either score loads in one game but cant defend so concede high number, and other days they defend perfectly and cant score and end up with 0 goals..

Clip

Established Member
Could I suggest reading his post a little more. he states they get sacked, that definitely wont happen with Pardew. Cant afford to sack him. But I'm pretty sure some of your other recent managers did fall into that category.
Looking at all of tonights games, many are predictable, but I can decide on Liverpool and Arsenal. Both sides are rather inconsistent and depending on what turns up for both teams. We will either have a 0-0, or a high scoring game, as both seem to either score loads in one game but cant defend so concede high number, and other days they defend perfectly and cant score and end up with 0 goals..

What is it with people thinking I haven't read full posts on here. Its as bit of a FAFF to selectively quote the bits you want on a tablet so I'm very sorry.

And no, I don't agree with you.

richw

Veteran Member
What is it with people thinking I haven't read full posts on here. Its as bit of a FAFF to selectively quote the bits you want on a tablet so I'm very sorry.

And no, I don't agree with you.

Keegan on his second coming springs to mind instantly. Sam Allardyce/

andrew bell

Am I the only one who thinks that, from a fan's POV, it's shameful that only two of eight fixtures are played at 1500 on a Saturday?

Your not the only one, I prefer to have more 3pm Saturday kick offs but now tv dictates everything, 6 games (including 1 replay) being shown over the course of the weekend is pure overkill, 2 of those games could easily be put back to Saturday at 3pm (Manchester City v Leeds and Manchester United v Reading automatically spring to mind). Brentford v Chelsea has to be shown as I think ITV/ESPN have the rights to show 2 replays minimum per round and there is only (if i recall) 2 outstanding games in the 4th round

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Here's one for our "legal eagles" on the forum to answer, specificaly with regard to the Football thread.....

What is the legal common law position on defamation, under the slander parts of that law, where unjudiciously phrased comments made on an internet forum can be legally construed as breaching the law ?

richw

Veteran Member

My Mrs agrees with you, I dont. Means I get to take in 6 games on the TV over the weekend. Cant complain at that.
Interestingly why are Chelsea playing their 4th round replay in 5th round weekend?

richw

Veteran Member
Lampard only needs 6 more goals to be the all time top scorer for Chelsea. Do we think he can do it in the remainder of this season as he is off at end of season.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Your not the only one, I prefer to have more 3pm Saturday kick offs but now tv dictates everything, 6 games (including 1 replay) being shown over the course of the weekend is pure overkill, 2 of those games could easily be put back to Saturday at 3pm (Manchester City v Leeds and Manchester United v Reading automatically spring to mind). Brentford v Chelsea has to be shown as I think ITV/ESPN have the rights to show 2 replays minimum per round and there is only (if i recall) 2 outstanding games in the 4th round

I doubt you'd be allowed to have both Man City / Man United at home at the same time, and I can fully understand Luton v Millwall kicking off early, and perhaps Chelsea v Brentford could be excused too as it is technically out of place, however even with all that, 6 would still be able to take place on Saturday (1 at 1200~, 5 at 1500), with one of the Manchester sides on Sunday and Chelsea v Brentford as and when.
My Mrs agrees with you, I dont. Means I get to take in 6 games on the TV over the weekend. Cant complain at that.
Interestingly why are Chelsea playing their 4th round replay in 5th round weekend?

I'm more concerned about the destruction of football traditions in the name of money and power than how many I can watch on TV, hence I'm against it. Further to that, half of them are on ITV, how on earth can someone enjoy that? I've never been, but I'd guess ITV football coverage is worse than half of the torture equipment used in Guantanamo Bay.

Chelsea have Europa League commitments on the two Thursdays either side of FA Cup Fifth Round Day, that's the only reason I can muster.

Butts

Veteran Member
Lampard only needs 6 more goals to be the all time top scorer for Chelsea. Do we think he can do it in the remainder of this season as he is off at end of season.

I hope so , probably depends on the number of Penalties Chelsea are awarded when Frank is on the field.

They should sign him for another season at least !!

richw

Veteran Member
Adam Le Fondre has got to be contender of the best supersub ever,
Off the bench 2-0 to chelsea. Scores twice. Full time Reading 2 Chelsea 2. which also lifts Reading out of the relegation zone, equal on points with Wigan and Villa but better goal difference. Villa are down to 19th. Le Fondre scored in 87 and 90th minutes

ACE1888

Back to form tonight and now 15 points clear in the SPL, Celtic 4-1 Kilmarnock, tomorrow being the final day of the January Transfer window, will be interesting to see if Premier League Clubs come in for Hooper, Wanyama etc...hope not

Trainfan344

Established Member
Back to form tonight and now 15 points clear in the SPL, Celtic 4-1 Kilmarnock, tomorrow being the final day of the January Transfer window, will be interesting to see if Premier League Clubs come in for Hooper, Wanyama etc...hope not

Norwich did have an intrest in Hooper not too long ago...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Adam Le Fondre has got to be contender of the best supersub ever,
Off the bench 2-0 to chelsea. Scores twice. Full time Reading 2 Chelsea 2. which also lifts Reading out of the relegation zone, equal on points with Wigan and Villa but better goal difference. Villa are down to 19th. Le Fondre scored in 87 and 90th minutes

Adam le Fondre was born in Stockport and played for Stockport County until 2007.

andrew bell

I doubt you'd be allowed to have both Man City / Man United at home at the same time, and I can fully understand Luton v Millwall kicking off early, and perhaps Chelsea v Brentford could be excused too as it is technically out of place, however even with all that, 6 would still be able to take place on Saturday (1 at 1200~, 5 at 1500), with one of the Manchester sides on Sunday and Chelsea v Brentford as and when.

I'm more concerned about the destruction of football traditions in the name of money and power than how many I can watch on TV, hence I'm against it. Further to that, half of them are on ITV, how on earth can someone enjoy that? I've never been, but I'd guess ITV football coverage is worse than half of the torture equipment used in Guantanamo Bay.

Chelsea have Europa League commitments on the two Thursdays either side of FA Cup Fifth Round Day, that's the only reason I can muster.

I do realise both Manchester clubs can not play at home on the same day but I was generalising the fact they were the 2 least 'glamour' ties which was chosen for tv.

You are correct with the reason why Chelsea v Brentford is on Round 5 weekend, its the first available date when the game can be played due to Chelsea playing on ITV4/Channel 5/ESPN/Whoever shows Europa League football.

Its very easy to enjoy ITV's football coverage, its called BBC radio 5 live synced in time with the pictures :D

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Adam le Fondre was born in Stockport and played for Stockport County until 2007.

And is one of 3 former County (and 3 former Rochdale) players who are leading or joint leading goalscorers for premiership clubs:
Reading - ALF (ex Dale & County)
Saints - Rickie Lambert (ex Dale & County)
Norwich - Sir Grant Holt (Dale) & Anthony Pilkington (County)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'd just like to wish ex-Blackburn, Spurs and QPR defender Ryan Nelson all the best in his new coaching role with Toronto in the MLS. One of the best defenders I have ever seen play for Blackburn, a born leader who gave every match everything he had. Best of luck Ryan, and thanks for all the memories from better times at Blackburn.

andrew bell

David Beckham going to Paris Saint-Germain on a five-month deal.....really...:shock:

Is it handy for Posh and the spring sales at the Haute Couture fashion houses ?

And he is not going to pick up a single penny as his wages is going to a Paris charity. A very good move by David Beckham and it shows this move was football based, not money based. I wonder if anyone else would of done the same in his situation??

Geezertronic

Established Member
I think that anybody who gets Jack Butland for £4m or around that has done very well indeed considering some of the ridiculous transfer prices paid over the years for players with lesser quality (IMO)