• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Geezertronic

Established Member
I can't wait for tomorrow match (Oldham v Liverpool) yes they probably will lose 5/6-0 to Liverpool but it will be good day as is not ofter Latics play against big premiership team (knowing they did play Liverpool last season in same cup which they lost 5-1) but u never know they might shock Liverpool and beat them or get draw against them and would need to play them again at Anfield which mean more money for Oldham :D

COME ON OLDHAM :D

(My bold) - a bit out there my friend :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oh come on! What is this history fetish about Luton fans being violent (thus distinguishing them from all others?). From family experience, they are generally very well behaved. The only recent incident that comes to mind involved the notorious fans from York, who really did cause trouble wherever they went.

Yorvik Reds are an incredible bunch of fans. Their in stadium displays are unbeliavable to watch.

Sadly, there is a very hardcore hooligan element within York City that have a reputation for causing bother. On my trips to Kennilworth Road i've never found Luton to be particulary welcoming however, a few of them tried to push down some scaffolding one year.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Oh come on! What is this history fetish about Luton fans being violent (thus distinguishing them from all others?). From family experience, they are generally very well behaved. The only recent incident that comes to mind involved the notorious fans from York, who really did cause trouble wherever they went.

You wouldn't be saying this if you saw the play-off semi-final second leg match between York and Luton two years back.

As for Luton vs Millwall, well, let's hope there is no repeat of 1985. ;) (Someone has to say it.)

Not that I have ever experienced trouble from Luton fans, nor Millwall fans.

Phil6219

Stoke defender Glen Whelan will not face punishment from the FA over his tackle against a Manchester City player at the weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21230357

It seems that the FA can not do anything as Howard Webb saw something in order to give the free kick. Bloody typical, the FA are a government operation right? That would explain why they have rules which prevent them from taking action (remember Rooney elbowing a Wigan? player in the face getting off because he was given a yellow card?)

Oh before anyone wishes to suggest a double standard on my part, Kompany's challenge got the ball this one didn't and ended up with him jumping two footed onto a players ankle.

Phil 8-)

richw

Veteran Member
FGW have confirmed they will be running football specials for Swansea's cup final. Cant find if these will be HSTs or if they will be loco hauled
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Swansea have managed to get Wayne Routledge to sign a new long term contract to go with Michu's. Looking good for the clubs future with the 4 year contracts.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21238352

Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
F A Trophy semi final draw has taken place (with 8 teams still in it, and only one team actually through)

Grimsby Town or Luton Town vs Dartford or F C Halifax
Wrexham vs Gainsborough Trinity or Gateshead or Barrow

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
YES YES YES :D:lol: COME ON, I can't believe we beat Liverpool and I never through we will too. Have that Liverpool fans :lol:

Now bring on Everton in Fifth Round of cup

That last result in the 4th round of the FA Cup seems to have given a "reprieve of sorts" to Oldham Athletic manager Dickov according to the club chairman, but there seems a most unhealthy comparison to be made in the league results of both Oldham Athletic and Aston Villa, in their respective divisions, over the last nine league matches.

That said, a 3-2 win in the 3rd round away at Nottingham Forest and the 3-2 home win against Liverpool in the 4th round were indeed most remarkable performances. The FA Cup has a long tradition of motivating teams on a bad run in their leagues to perform heroics in those cup matches.

ACE1888

Mario Balotelli off to AC Milan then, pending a medical tomorrow, according to SS News, the Premier League will certainly be a duller place, rather like when Jose Morinho left.
Jackie Mcnamara to be the new Manager at Dundee United, leaving Partick Thistle for life in the SPL, again just announced on Sky Sports News

Butts

Veteran Member
Mario Balotelli off to AC Milan then, pending a medical tomorrow, according to SS News, the Premier League will certainly be a duller place, rather like when Jose Morinho left.
Jackie Mcnamara to be the new Manager at Dundee United, leaving Partick Thistle for life in the SPL, again just announced on Sky Sports News

You forgot to mention Celtics result against St Mirren in the Cup on Sunday :lol:

richw

Veteran Member
Hope your all sitting down biggest shock of the week, even more shock than some of the cup results

The FA has today [Tuesday 29 January] charged Sir Alex Ferguson in relation to post-match media comments made following Manchester United's game at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday 20 January 2013.

It is alleged the Manchester United manager breached FA Rule E3 in that he implied that the match official was motivated by bias.

Ferguson has until 4pm on Friday 1 February 2013 to respond to the charge

SS4

Established Member

A good move for Manchester City in my opinion. No player is bigger than the team

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Fergie's been asked to explain himself following his comments after the Tottenham game.

Personally I expect the FA will do sod all, just like last time. I think it is out of order that Sam Allardice has been punished (now appealing) for basically the same thing yet old Baconface gets a "please explain" oppose to a punishment himself.
Phil 8-)

Oh dear...How dare the FA ignore your most carefully worded posting and actually charge him...:roll:

Will you be appealing against their over-ruling of your posting...:D

CC 72100

Established Member
Hope your all sitting down biggest shock of the week, even more shock than some of the cup results

Maybe this will finally put some of the 'preferential treatment' and conspiracy stuff to bed....

Or most likely not. ;)

Pleased to see the FA do something for once, the comments were bang out of order, the problem in the past has been that the FA hasn't wanted to, for whatever reason, use it's power. At long last it's realised that for people to take these issues seriously, you have to act when people don't!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My favourite Balotelli memory is when he left for AC Milan...

Same here!

David

Established Member
I guess Paul Lambert wants to beat Newcastle tonight .... He's playing both Bent and Benteke from the start ....

Phil6219

What's happened with the Norwich vs Spurs game? It's showing as postponed on the BBC sport website. The weather forecast is rain but is it really that bad?

Phil 8-)

richw

Veteran Member
What's happened with the Norwich vs Spurs game? It's showing as postponed on the BBC sport website. The weather forecast is rain but is it really that bad?

Phil 8-)

Its been rescheduled to tomorrow night, has been for quite a while now. Thats what the 30 means after the postponed.

Phil6219

Its been rescheduled to tomorrow night, has been for quite a while now. Thats what the 30 means after the postponed.

Oh, I thought the 30 may have meant that either they were to recheck the playing surface after 30 minutes or that it had been called off after the 30 minute mark.

Nice to see Fergie getting hauled in at least, I'm still not expecting much to happen or if something does he will no doubt flout the rules anyway (like the touchline ban workaround).

So Mario is going, well its both a shame and a good thing. I have always believed he had great potential but could never excel as he would get dragged into things both on and off the pitch. Sometimes he has kept his cool (he didn't react to getting elbowed in the face in the FA cup final for instance, the ref didn't see it but had he reacted it would have been him no doubt getting punished) and other times he has done something really stupid. As for what he does off the pitch that is irreverent, as long as he isn't doing something illegal then all that matters is what happens on the pitch and that applies to all players.

Phil 8-)

SS4

Established Member
Could really do with Man City thumping QPR but it's frustratingly 0-0. Of course we still need a win at Villa Park

Oswyntail

Established Member
Maybe this will finally put some of the 'preferential treatment' and conspiracy stuff to bed....

Or most likely not. ;)

Pleased to see the FA do something for once, the comments were bang out of order, the problem in the past has been that the FA hasn't wanted to, for whatever reason, use it's power. ...
Of course, Mad Uncle Hamish was expecting this - hence his press release / interview last week in which he said that the FA were being bullied by others into taking action on this complaint when it was not justified. The man just doesn't appreciate irony.

Of course, Mad Uncle Hamish was expecting this - hence his press release / interview last week in which he said that the FA were being bullied by others into taking action on this complaint when it was not justified. The man just doesn't appreciate irony.

Its just such poor taste. I respect his achievements in the game obviously but as a person he leaves me cold.

12CSVT

Established Member
Grimsby Town 3 Luton Town 0

Is this the same Luton which won at Norwich only 3 days ago ?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Could really do with Man City thumping QPR but it's frustratingly 0-0. Of course we still need a win at Villa Park

Well, if nothing else, the mathematical progression sequence of goals conceeded by Aston Villa in Premiership matches is now a thing of the past.

Time now to regroup and remember how Wigan Athletic performed in the last quarter of last season when all seemed totally lost and relegation looked to be a certainty. If they could do what they did, so can your team.

Geezertronic

Established Member

I'm sorry but I do have to laugh at the current state of Villa. Beaten over two legs by Bradford, beaten in the FA Cup by Millwall, another league loss at home :D

It all went downhill when Houllier was appointed and got worse when the ginger BCFC spy went to Villa :D

Johnuk123

Established Member
I'm sorry but I do have to laugh at the current state of Villa. Beaten over two legs by Bradford, beaten in the FA Cup by Millwall, another league loss at home :D

It all went downhill when Houllier was appointed and got worse when the ginger BCFC spy went to Villa :D

Villa are having a terrible season but compared to my team Wolves who are heading to div. 1 a year after being in the Premiership they are in good health.