• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

familyguy99

Preston North End 2...Oldham Athletic 1

Not 2-0 as reported in the late BBC North-West news....<(

We were unlucky to lose that match as I thought we were better team in that match, Oldham need to stop given penalty away as that fourth in row that Latics given penalty in other team and lost too because of that but I feel Oldham luck will soon change and hopefully we start winning more game sooner then later.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Northern Ireland lost 3-2 to Luxembourg and is Luxembourg first win a home (I believe) since 1972, Northern Ireland must played bad then if that first win for 41 years for Luxembourg.

Scotland did something where Wales couldn't do on Friday night and beat Macedonia 2-1 at Macedonia ground, good win for Scotland that be they can't qualify for World Cup anywhere.

Maybe shock of night is San Marino have score a goal :shock: but they are losing 5-1 to Poland.

England have been awful night but draw is good results at Ukraine and if we beat Montenegro in next match (11th Oct) and Ukraine draw to Poland then I think we be top of table and qualify for World Cup.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@Familyguy99 We have only beaten San Marino and Moldova in our group - We will do well to win the last two.

Ukraine will fancy taking 6 points off Poland and San Marino so the pressure is really on.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is that really all they have beaten?

I am afraid so - and we never looked like scoring tonight. Workmanlike, stodgy, stolid, uninspiring, indifferent, ponderous, mediocre and frankly ordinary would spring to mind to describe England attempts at qualification!

that said we are top of the group and have conceded only three goals! However 4th to 1st is covered by three points.We could really do with a draw between Poland and Ukraine but if we can take 6 points form two games we will qualify. It is a funny old game!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I can see a comparison to the first group stages of the Champions League where there is a close points battle to qualify for the next stage in one group, but in other groups with high quality teams, there are clear points group winners.

It will be in the following stages when the better teams are drawn against lesser bodies that the difference in ability and class really begins to show.

richw

Veteran Member
Northern Ireland lost 3-2 to Luxembourg and is Luxembourg first win a home (I believe) since 1972, Northern Ireland must played bad then if that first win for 41 years for Luxembourg.
England have been awful night but draw is good results at Ukraine and if we beat Montenegro in next match (11th Oct) and Ukraine draw to Poland then I think we be top of table and qualify for World Cup.

Not just was it Luxembourg's first home win since 1972, it was their first competitive win since 1972 according to ITV last night.

I thought considering the lack of the "top" players we did ok. There was definitely positives to be taken, Cahill and Jagielka looked a good partnership in central defence.
Walcott seemed to give the ball to a yellow shirt everytime he had the ball, I wondered if he thought he was playing in Arsenals away strip!

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not just was it Luxembourg's first home win since 1972, it was their first competitive win since 1972 according to ITV last night.

I thought considering the lack of the "top" players we did ok. There was definitely positives to be taken, Cahill and Jagielka looked a good partnership in central defence.
Walcott seemed to give the ball to a yellow shirt everytime he had the ball, I wondered if he thought he was playing in Arsenals away strip!

Nope, Luxembourg beat Belarus (away) during Euro 2008 qualification.

familyguy99

@Familyguy99 We have only beaten San Marino and Moldova in our group - We will do well to win the last two.

Ukraine will fancy taking 6 points off Poland and San Marino so the pressure is really on.

I didn't Realise we only beat San Marion and Moldova in group but I feel we can beat Montenegro and Poland in our final two matches and finish top of group but it wouldn't be easy.

I see Ireland have sack Giovanni Trapattoni after they lost to Sweden and Austria which mean Ireland is unlikely to qualify for World Cup.

richw

Veteran Member
I didn't Realise we only beat San Marion and Moldova in group but I feel we can beat Montenegro and Poland in our final two matches and finish top of group but it wouldn't be easy.

I see Ireland have sack Giovanni Trapattoni after they lost to Sweden and Austria which mean Ireland is unlikely to qualify for World Cup.

We play Montenegro and Poland at home so should be do able with Wembley behind them. The away draw to Poland was the waterlogged pitch farce, and disrupted preparation. Also to bare in mind we are the highest scoring team in the WC qualifying campaign from all of Europe. Although a majority of these goals have been at Wembley!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just seen the latest International rankings. England are now in a more realistic position on the ranks of 17th!

DarloRich

Veteran Member

It just shows how poor we are and how poor the group is that we are top of can still win the group!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Will former Crewe Alexandra player Nick Powell gain much in the way of career development at Wigan Athletic in the Championship during his one-year loan period there from Manchester United, considering the difference in standards that do seem to currently apply between the Premiership and the Championship. He has only made six appearances for Manchester United's first team since his £6 million transfer.

Also, a query for followers of Manchester United. What was the reason why 20 year-old Paul Pogba moved on from there, as he seems to be valued at Juventus ?

CC 72100

Established Member
Will former Crewe Alexandra player Nick Powell gain much in the way of career development at Wigan Athletic in the Championship during his one-year loan period there from Manchester United, considering the difference in standards that do seem to currently apply between the Premiership and the Championship. He has only made six appearances for Manchester United's first team since his £6 million transfer.

Also, a query for followers of Manchester United. What was the reason why 20 year-old Paul Pogba moved on from there, as he seems to be valued at Juventus ?

Regarding Powell - I think this is a very shrewd move, it is clear that he wasn't going to get much first-team experience at United so for him to go on loan to a club where he'll get regular football of a decent standard.

With Pogba, I believe he didn't want to sign a new contract, and in a similar vein as Ravel Morrison, I think he was judged as a bit of a troublemaker. I think the reasons were fully explained at the time, but now I can't remember.

JoeH

As with Ravel Morrison, his talent wasn't in doubt but he was considered to have a poor attitude.

Regular watchers of the reserve team say he was a level above most of the other young players at that level but rarely showed it and appeared lazy and uninterested in proving himself. He was impatient.

With a year left on his contract he demanded a massive increase in wages, which was unlikely to have been met considering his attitude. Knowing he was on his way out, Ferguson wouldn't have wanted to aid his development for another club with much first team time.

Last edited:

familyguy99

Firth in row that Oldham have given away penalty and four times that Oldham have lose and today they lost 3-2 to Rotherham with Rotherham scoring in 90th mins to win that match, Oldham also had player sent off in 40th mins and when 2-1 up playing with 10 men so if that game finish draw then it been good draw for Latics.

I see Rooney score for Man Utd in they 2-0 win again Palace and Man City draw 0-0 against Stoke in which Stoke was better team in that match,

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
The "special ones" return to Chelsea has so far not been overly special. They have made their worst start since before the Russian arrived. Today they had 21 shots and failed to score!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hmm, Ian Holloway appears to be incessantly whinging again. I therefore assume Crystal Palace lost...

Also, a shout out to Blackburn defender Lee Williamson tonight, who has a 2,000-strong Facebook appreciation society after his wonderful dedication to the 34 years cause this afternoon: sent off after 90 seconds of coming on for taking out a Dingles player on a last minute 1-on-1.

Last edited: