• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
In the coming years we are going to start hearing a great deal about the dangers of brain damage in sport from seemingly innocuous impacts. It's already becoming a big deal in the United States where numerous former sportspeople have died at extremely young ages, many through suicide. Many others continue to live with severe physical and mental ailments related to impacts suffered to their head during their careers.

The "be a man" culture prevalent in sport won't stand in the wave of public opinion when the full dangers of 'minor' impacts (even heading a ball) become better known.

There was some suggestion this had contributed to the death of Jeff Astle, although there are plenty of others who it hasn't affected and footballs are much lighter nowadays. I really can't see it being a major issue.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Would you class Kettering as being in the "lower levels of non-league".

Its more to do with the appeal, or the lack of, regarding county cup competitions

Oswyntail

Established Member
In the coming years we are going to start hearing a great deal about the dangers of brain damage in sport from seemingly innocuous impacts. It's already becoming a big deal in the United States where numerous former sportspeople have died at extremely young ages, many through suicide. Many others continue to live with severe physical and mental ailments related to impacts suffered to their head during their careers.

The "be a man" culture prevalent in sport won't stand in the wave of public opinion when the full dangers of 'minor' impacts (even heading a ball) become better known.
A hugely complex area, though it is safe to say that any blow to the head, however apparently trivial, has the potential to do serious damage. Professional sportsmen (just about the only class of people I can think of for whom such blows might be described as part of their job) must be made properly aware of the risks, and clubs at all levels made to implement proper treatment strategies (for instance regular brain scans, even - perhaps particularly - at junior level). Rugby seems to be going along the right lines, as shown by the monitoring of Toby Flood after his recent double unconsciousness.
Sadly, one of the complications in handling this is the suicide factor. It is more likely that this is a psychological result (of the pressures inherent in a sportsman's life), rather than physiological, but, because there is even now reluctance to "brand" anyone as a "nutter", and because physical damage is more likely to attract compensation, not only are the statistics distorted, but neither the psychology nor the physical damage are getting the proper attention they need.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There was some suggestion this had contributed to the death of Jeff Astle, although there are plenty of others who it hasn't affected and footballs are much lighter nowadays.

Being the age that I am, I remember Albert Scanlan, the Manchester United winger, taking corners in the 1950's with great ferocity with the type of footballs they played with in those days. When the pitch was heavy, the match ball became even heavier, then it was laughable to see both defenders and attackers trying to evade this WMD that was fired at them..:D

richw

Veteran Member
In the 20 Manchester United match appearances that he has made, he has scored 6 goals according to Wikipedia on his profile.

Sorry I wasn't entirely clear, I was questioning the fact no other Man Utd midfielder scored more than 2 goals all season.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Rickie Lambert has been handed a starting place in the England attack in the match against Moldova.
************************************************************************************************

In an unfortunate turn of events, Manchester City's new centre-half signing, Argentinian international Martin Demichelis has now been ruled out for six weeks with a knee injury.
************************************************************************************

In a rather strange turn of events, Nani, who many "media pundits" said would depart from Manchester United this summer, has signed a new five-year contract with the club.

familyguy99

Leighton Baines look set to sign a new contract at Everton mean Man Utd will miss out on signing Baines come January.

Rickie Lambert has been handed a starting place in the England attack in the match against Moldova.

Lambert score England second goal mean is two in two for Lambert and England are winning 3-0 (HT) with Gerrard and Welbeck scoring other goals but Welbeck will miss Ukraine match on Tuesday as he pick up yellow card.

In England group, Ukraine have won 9-0 against San Marino but it would been shock if Ukraine draw that match and Montenegro are 1-1 against Poland at half time.

Northern Ireland have got big chance of beating Portugal as Portugal are down to 10 men with Postiga head-butt on Gareth McAuley and score is 1-1 in that match.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Lambert score England second goal mean is two in two for Lambert and England are winning 3-0 (HT) with Gerrard and Welbeck scoring other goals but Welbeck will miss Ukraine match on Tuesday as he pick up yellow card.
The Welbeck yellow card is the biggest joke I have ever seen, whistle blew and he had shot within less than a second, nobody can react that quick!

Lambert- he seems to be the proper "poacher" centre forward England have been missing for several years, get goals by hanging around the 6 yard box, and finishing off rebounds and other shots. Also has a decent cross and shot from distance.

familyguy99

I see Holland are losing 2-1 to Estonia with 20 mins to go in that match, surely that would be shock of night if it still like that.

Maybe not the shock of night that match ^^ as Northern Ireland have just score (2-1) and if they hold on for next 25 mins then they would have famous win against Portugal.

Last edited:

familyguy99

Lambert is now on 1 goal and 2 assists for the night.

Surely if England qualify for World Cup then Lambert is on plane to Brazil with two goals and two assists in two matches.

I see France could only draw 0-0 against Georgia, surely that mean France will have to qualify via play offs if Spain don't slip up in they group.

richw

Veteran Member
Surely if England qualify for World Cup then Lambert is on plane to Brazil with two goals and two assists in two matches.

I see France could only draw 0-0 against Georgia, surely that mean France will have to qualify via play offs if Spain don't slip up in they group.

I'd have thought so, as long as he maintains form through the season. He seems very aware of all the players around him, and definitely silencing the critics of his selection. To think until 2 seasons ago, he had never played higher than League 1, and has since had a season in the Championship, and one season in the premier league.

familyguy99

I see Holland are losing 2-1 to Estonia with 20 mins to go in that match, surely that would be shock of night if it still like that.

I see Man Utd player Robin Van Praise save Holland from losing that match to score a penalty in 94th mins to draw that match 2-2.

Maybe not the shock of night that match ^^ as Northern Ireland have just score (2-1) and if they hold on for next 25 mins then they would have famous win against Portugal

Northern Ireland are down to nine player as Brunt given second yellow card and Lafferty shown straight red card, also Portugal are winning 4-2 now and I think you can guess who score hat trick in that match too.

richw

Veteran Member
Northern Ireland are down to nine player as Brunt given second yellow card and Lafferty shown straight red card, also Portugal are winning 4-2 now and I think you can guess who score hat trick in that match too.

Was it the player the NI fans were singing at as a cheap Gareth Bale before he got his first goal?

SS4

Established Member
How has the NI tackling been? Portugal, like their Iberian neighbours, are a team known to fall the ground with a 1 on the Beaufort Scale and get something from it

familyguy99

good news for us (England) that Montenegro could only draw 1-1 against Poland mean if we beat Ukraine on Tuesday then surely we are heading to World Cup. :)

Ireland don't look like they are heading to world cup as they lost 2-1 to Sweden and with Germany winning 3-0 against Austria, it mean that Ireland would need to beat Austria and Germany in next two matches and hope Sweden slip up.

Antman

Established Member
Not often I feel sorry for a Man Utd player but the Welbeck booking is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen

richw

Veteran Member
Not often I feel sorry for a Man Utd player but the Welbeck booking is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen

Both of his yellows were terrible decisions in my view. His previous yellow was for diving when he was clearly fouled

(coming from a Liverpool fan)

Howardh

Established Member
*sobs* The Mighty Liechtenstein lost at home to ex-euro winners Greece 1 - 0. Both teams were down to ten men. C'mon The Steiners!!

Antman

Established Member
Both of his yellows were terrible decisions in my view. His previous yellow was for diving when he was clearly fouled

(coming from a Liverpool fan)

Yes, and even more ridiculous there is no right of appeal, even though both decisions are clearly wrong

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Whilst I feel sorry for young Danny being unjustly booked, his suspension does open up a team slot for a more effective goalscorer. Personally, I'd have ALF (Reading) on thebench...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
good news for us (England) that Montenegro could only draw 1-1 against Poland mean if we beat Ukraine on Tuesday then surely we are heading to World Cup. :)

As England still have to play Montenegro and Poland after that, and potentially face France, Croatia, Sweden or Russia (I can't recall if the play offs will be seeded this time around) if they fall short of automatic, I'd say it's far from a certain even if they do beat Ukraine...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yes :) It show you that Northern Ireland fans shouldn't got Ronaldo angry as that what it does to your team.

The "specially coiffured one" has now scored 43 goals in 106 international appearances for Portugal.
*sobs* The Mighty Liechtenstein lost at home to ex-euro winners Greece 1 - 0. Both teams were down to ten men. C'mon The Steiners!!

In a way that shows how much can change over the years, who would have ever expected the Czech Republic to lose 1-2 at home to a lesser team such as Armenia, as occurred last night in the European Group "B" World Cup qualifying match.
Personally, I'd have ALF (Reading) on the bench...

It seems ages since ALF was on the television, with its typical American sense of humour....:D

I did not know there was a relative living in the Reading area...:roll:

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
As England still have to play Montenegro and Poland after that, and potentially face France, Croatia, Sweden or Russia (I can't recall if the play offs will be seeded this time around) if they fall short of automatic, I'd say it's far from a certain even if they do beat Ukraine...

because our run in involves our 2 closest rivals we need 7 points from the 3 games, however because of goal difference beating Ukraine and Montenegro will be enough in reality.

Clip

Established Member
Sod the internationals, today is non league football day.. Just wondering who to go watch today, too much choice

familyguy99

Stockport finally won a match this season after they beat Gainsborough 3-1 in bottom two clash in Skrill Conference North division and Altrincham also won 1-0 in that division too mean is five wins in six for Altrincham.

Sadly Hyde lost again this afternoon 1-0 to Cambridge who are now top of Skrill Conference Premier and plus Hyde had player sent off too, Hyde would be bottom of that division if it wasn't for Aldershot starting -10 points for been in administration but Aldershot are now back on 0 points after they beat Macclesfield 1-0 today.
Draw for JPT 2nd Round have been made this Morning with Oldham got tough away draw against Preston which mean that Oldham are playing Preston for second time in four weeks with Oldham playing against Preston on Monday and it live on Sky Sports 1 channel at 19:30pm.

Full Draw.

Northern section:

York v Rotherham, Sheffield United v Hartlepool, Wolves v Notts C, Mansfield v Chesterfield, Fleetwood v Crewe, Morecambe v Carlisle, Preston v Oldham and Port Vale v Rochdale.

Southern section:

Southend v Dagenham & Redbridge, Peterborough v Brentford, Stevenage v MK Dons, Leyton Orient v Coventry, Oxford v Portsmouth, Swindon v Plymouth, Wycombe v Bristol City and Crawley v Newport.

All matches will be played on 8th/9th October.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Roy Hodgson bemoans the non-availability of three of the England squad striking force through suspension and injury, but look at the main strikers of the stronger English Premiership clubs and there are many more foreign players fulfilling the attacking roles than English ones who have progressed through the academy systems.

You then see the priority that English Premiership clubs attach to signing foreign high-quality proven goalscorers to boost their television image and high league position rather than to give a jot for the English national football team.
Sadly Hyde lost again this afternoon 1-0 to Cambridge who are now top of Skrill Conference Premier and plus Hyde had player sent off too, Hyde would be bottom of that division if it wasn't for Aldershot starting -10 points for been in administration but Aldershot are now back on 0 points after they beat Macclesfield 1-0 today.

Hyde seem to have developed the knack of losing by the odd goal, even to the teams at the head of the table. 3-2 to Barnet last week and 1-0 to Cambridge United this week.

After seven games played, Hyde have only two points in what is beginning to look like the start of last season's nightmare start. With the same number of games played, Macclesfield Town only have three points.

A bad time for the " Old - Cheshire" area clubs in the Skrill Conference Premiership so far this season.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Noting that this will be the final year of a 22 year period in which Alan Hansen has been on the panel of Match of the Day. He will always be remembered for his summation of the Aston Villa v Manchester United opening day fixture which was won 3-1 by Aston Villa and his famous phrase..."You'll win nothing with kids".

Manchester United (and their kids) ended that season with trophies....:D