• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Chelsea 6...Arsenal 0

Arsene will not remember his 1,000th match with much happiness..:roll:

Andre Marriner won't want to remember this match in a hurry either as he sent off the wrong Arsenal player when they were 2-0 down, mind you, he does have previous for making blunders to Chelsea's benefit at Stamford Bridge......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Andre Marriner won't want to remember this match in a hurry either as he sent off the wrong Arsenal player when they were 2-0 down, mind you, he does have previous for making blunders to Chelsea's benefit at Stamford Bridge......

Which ref doesn't?

richw

Veteran Member
Liverpool proving the theory you need a good defence to do well is not correct again. Just score more goals than concede seems to work well.

familyguy99

I told you all Droylsden will win a game this season :D

Droylsden 4-3 Witton

Well done to Droylsden on they first victory of season but probably big win of day of me is that Oldham beat Crawley 1-0 :D is big win that for Oldham as we stay 18th in table and we are now four points clear from Carlisle who are 21st in table, maybe couple of more wins and we may be safe from relegation for other season.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
They hardly got the decisions last week though did they (Chelsea)? Two players sent off, only one correctly imho.

Don't forget the manager :D

The important bit here is that HHF mentioned Stamford Bridge rather than Villa Park ;) and lest we forget Chelsea needed the referee's assistance to beat us at Stamford Bridge

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member
Riiiiight, which idiot at the BBC decided Russell Brand was a good idea for MOTD later? Well I won't be watching that then.

I can picture his "expert analysis" already:

"Forsooth! The whole basis of football is a preexisting paradigm which is quite narrow and only serves a few people, I look elsewhere for alternatives that might be of service to the working classes, like aguvedic yoga, heroin, bonking other people's wives and selling my Booky Wook (at all good bookshops, I may add, darlings)! Apart from West Ham of course, I love them so much. Did I mention West Ham yet? ”

"On Man City's 5-0 demolition, that we are invited to anticipate weekly, we could otherwise delight in the Faustian justice of the righteous dispatch of a fast-living, sequin-spattered denizen. We are tacitly instructed to await the other team's demise with necrophilic sanctimony. But when the end comes and the Shifty Shiekh's oil money tap is turned off, it will be deserved. Man City provoke indignation, luridly baiting us with the sidebar that scrolls from the headline down to hell".

"Arsenal's demise today on Arsene's 1000th game is insufficiently sad to be left un-supplemented in the mandatory posthumous scramble for salacious garnish; we will now be subjected to mourn-ography by Arsene posing as analysis".

AAAARRRRRRGGHHH!

I think it will be unbearable to a lot of viewers.

SS4

Established Member
Riiiiight, which idiot at the BBC decided Russell Brand was a good idea for MOTD later? Well I won't be watching that then.

"Forsooth! The whole basis of football is a preexisting paradigm which is quite narrow and only serves a few people, I look elsewhere for alternatives that might be of service to the working classes, like aguvedic yoga, heroin, bonking other people's wives and selling my Booky Wook (at all good bookshops, I may add, darlings)! Apart from West Ham of course, I love them so much. Did I mention West Ham yet? ”

"On Man City's 5-0 demolition, that we are invited to anticipate weekly, we could otherwise delight in the Faustian justice of the righteous dispatch of a fast-living, sequin-spattered denizen. We are tacitly instructed to await the other team's demise with necrophilic sanctimony. But when the end comes and the Shifty Shiekh's oil money tap is turned off, it will be deserved. Man City provoke indignation, luridly baiting us with the sidebar that scrolls from the headline down to hell".

"Arsenal's demise today on Arsene's 1000th game is insufficiently sad to be left un-supplemented in the mandatory posthumous scramble for salacious garnish; we will now be subjected to mourn-ography by Arsene posing as analysis".

AAAARRRRRRGGHHH!

At least I needn't watch it now after that summary (not that I would have anyway since I only watch it when the Villa win :lol:)

richw

Veteran Member

AAAARRRRRRGGHHH!

He's apparently only involved with the west ham game.

fowler9

Established Member
No doubt this would be one of the many BBC management "idiots" who have given the BBC the long-standing ideal of "giving the viewers and listeners what we degree is good for them"....<(

Indeed, I don't dislike Russell Brand myself but I don't want to see him on MOTD. Are they trying to turn it in to Soccer AM. Next week a local girl in a footy shirt and a pair of hotpants.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Brand's appearance was only as part of Sport Relief, it's not as part of any dumbing down or anything. I've not seen it yet but at a guess he can't be any worse at analysis than Alan Shearer is.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Brand's appearance was only as part of Sport Relief, it's not as part of any dumbing down or anything. I've not seen it yet but at a guess he can't be any worse at analysis than Alan Shearer is.

Come on, Matt. This is not up to your usual "incisive of thought" standard. Alan Shearer at least played professional football and surely has an insight into the game, whereas the other one has little if any practical experience or knowledge of the game as played....:roll:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Come on, Matt. This is not up to your usual "incisive of thought" standard. Alan Shearer at least played professional football and surely has an insight into the game, whereas the other one has little if any practical experience or knowledge of the game as played....:roll:

I was being partially sarcastic. Of course Brand isn't up to professional standard but that doesn't detract from the fact that Shearer is a poor analyst, he states the most blindingly obvious things possible yet somehow manages to forge a living off being on MOTD practically every week. There are much better pundits out there; like Danny Mills, Danny Murphy and Lawro, yet all of those seem to be overlooked and only feature on Football Focus or MOTD2. It should also be noted that playing the game as a pro and having insight as such also doesn't count for anything in some circumstances - compare Shearer's managerial career to that of Wenger, Mourinho and Rodgers...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Compare Shearer's managerial career to that of Wenger, Mourinho and Rodgers...

An interesting comparison made, so I will respond by asking who had the best and most successful playing career to the four persons named above.

We are not entering into the particular skills of football management here, but just that of the appearances of ex-players on the programme. I am sure that I do not need to remind you of the number of times in post-match interviews where experienced football managers have made the most outrageous statements, some of which have led to strictures being applied to them by the ruling football bodies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
An interesting comparison made, so I will respond by asking who had the best and most successful playing career to the four persons named above.

We are not entering into the particular skills of football management here, but just that of the appearances of ex-players on the programme...

Wenger and Mourinho have 160~ professional appearances between them, Rodgers has none; and Shearer probably had half seasons when he scored more than the three of them did in their careers combined. I was just pointing out that sometimes you can have all the experience and understanding of the game in the world, but those skills aren't necessarily always transferable to other footballing jobs ;)

SS4

Established Member
I shudder to think how far ahead Chelsea would be if Mourinho managed instead of berating the fourth official

richw

Veteran Member

Of course I assumer no member of this thread has such practical experience of knowledge of the game as played, yet we have managed 12234 posts of analysis. How hard can it be to pass comment on where a player is standing, runs etc? He is a season ticket holder at West Ham so had a bit of background albeit as a spectator.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Of course I assume no member of this thread has such practical experience of knowledge of the game as played, yet we have managed 12234 posts of analysis. How hard can it be to pass comment on where a player is standing, runs etc? He is a season ticket holder at West Ham so had a bit of background albeit as a spectator.

Ever seen some parents on the touchline when their children are playing....and then try to stop laughing at absolutely ridiculous comments made by some of these so-called adults which betray a total lack of knowledge of the rules of the game...:roll:

richw

Veteran Member
Ever seen some parents on the touchline when their children are playing....and then try to stop laughing at absolutely ridiculous comments made by some of these so-called adults which betray a total lack of knowledge of the rules of the game...:roll:

As a rugby ref, the worse spectators were the parents had kids matches for ref abuse and foul language.

I've refereed hundreds of rugby matches from Level 9 downwards, and the only time I've put in a report for referee abuse was against a parent at an under 14 match - The club actually issued an instant ban to the specific parent from entering club premises as a member of the club committee was in attendance of the match was so appalled by this parents behaviour.

I've refereed some well known local league derbies between clubs with reputation yet have had no trouble from the crowd at those games, other than the expected banter.

I know a lot of refs who've got to the point they refuse to give up their time to referee youth games due to problems with parents being almost guaranteed. The parents seem to not be the normal rugby spectator, just coming along to watch their kids play.

At rugby I've been to internationals and the crowd aren't segregated and no need. I've enjoyed many a beer with the opposition fans in neighbouring seats, yet football they need segregating with marshalls separating the sets of fans.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aston Villa 1...Stoke City 4

If these can be believed, the following statistics are rather revealing:-

Aston Villa
Total shots........12
Shots on target...3
Goals ................1

Stoke City
Total shots........10
Shots on target...5
Goals.................4

richw

Veteran Member
Aston Villa 1...Stoke City 4

If these can be believed, the following statistics are rather revealing:-

Aston Villa
Total shots........12
Shots on target...3
Goals ................1

Stoke City
Total shots........10
Shots on target...5
Goals.................4

Target practice needed for Villa, 1 in 4 on target against Stoke 1 in 2 on target.