• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Only two, as far as I can see - Sheffield United and Notts County.

Both from the top flight too. He got us out of the 3rd back in 1995, and proceeded to fall out with the then-chairman, Terry Fisher, and resigned a week later. He left both Scarborough and Plymouth (and possibly Bury and/or Oldham, albeit without a promotion I think) in very similar circumstances too...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26717044
The Football League has disqualified Italian businessman Massimo Cellino from buying a majority stake in Championship club Leeds United.
Cellino heads Eleonora Sports, which agreed to buy a 75% stake in Leeds from Gulf Finance House Capital in February.
However, the takeover was put in doubt last week when he was found guilty of failing to pay import duty on a yacht.

In a statement the League said they had voted "unanimously" to disqualify the 57-year-old Cagliari owner's bid.
The Football League said: "The board considered detailed legal advice with regard to the application of its regulations within the context of a decision made under Italian law.
"Having fully considered the matter, the board agreed unanimously that the decision of the Italian Court does constitute a disqualifying condition under its owners' and directors' test.
"The relevant disqualifying condition being that Massimo Cellino has been convicted of an offence involving acts that would reasonably be considered to be dishonest."
I suspected this might happen - but it probably qualifies him for the ownership, judging by a lot of footy club owners. And, losing cash hand over fist, where next for Leeds?

richw

Veteran Member
Both from the top flight too. He got us out of the 3rd back in 1995, and proceeded to fall out with the then-chairman, Terry Fisher, and resigned a week later. He left both Scarborough and Plymouth (and possibly Bury and/or Oldham, albeit without a promotion I think) in very similar circumstances too...

I assumed he was on good terms at Plymouth as when Carl Fletcher got the boot at Plymouth many fans were calling for him to return. I don't remember his time at Plymouth as I was too young back then to really take interest in management comings, goings and whys,

Only two, as far as I can see - Sheffield United and Notts County.

How many has he been sacked/ jumped ship before they were relegated? He seems to get sacked as soon as he gets to the premiership every time.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
From BBC Football.

A Football Association panel decided that referee Andre Marriner not only dismissed the wrong player, but that Oxlade-Chamberlain's goal-line handball did not deserve a red card.
Arsenal claimed that not only was Gibbs sent off by mistake after Oxlade-Chamberlain deliberately blocked the ball with his hand, but that Oxlade-Chamberlain's offence had not prevented either a goal or a goal-scoring opportunity because Eden Hazard's shot was going wide.

The sport's rules, drawn up by world governing body Fifa, state that while a player should be booked for deliberately handling the ball, a red card should only be shown for "the unacceptable and unfair intervention that prevented a goal being scored".

richw

Veteran Member
Does anyone know which official actually saw Gibbs Oxlade-Chamberlain handle the ball?

No, it wasn't the referee nor the nearest touch judge though.
The bigger question is who is in his ear giving him information?
Neil warnock has rejected Nottingham Forest, reason given he didn't feel it was right for him as he lives in Cornwall.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Neil warnock has rejected Nottingham Forest, reason given he didn't feel it was right for him as he lives in Cornwall.

Got the very job for him, if he wants to stay in Cornwall, as Porthleven who are bottom of the Jolley's Combination lost 7-0 at home to Redruth United at the weekend and need some motivation...:D

Mind you, the words "Neil Warnock" and "Jolley's" don't seem to fit well together...<(

83G/84D

Established Member
I assumed he was on good terms at Plymouth as when Carl Fletcher got the boot at Plymouth many fans were calling for him to return. I don't remember his time at Plymouth as I was too young back then to really take interest in management comings, goings and whys,

How many has he been sacked/ jumped ship before they were relegated? He seems to get sacked as soon as he gets to the premiership every time.
From BBC Football.

I seem to recall he fell out with then Argyle chairman Dan Macauley who was a controversial figure at the time. Last linked with turning Drake's Island off Plymouth Hoe into a sort of tourist attraction but seems to have gone quiet again.

Can't recall the reason for the parting of the ways though.

familyguy99

Man City are winning 1-0 at Half time and City scored within 43 sec of kicking off, really City should be 3-0 up at half time but saying that Fellaini should scored for United.

Sadly Leyton Orient scored at half time mean they are winning 1-0 against Oldham. :(

richw

Veteran Member
Arsenal may want to look over their shoulder. Everton are closing in on them, and have a game in hand as well as a home fixture against Arsenal at Goodison Park.
Moyes has well and truly been found out when you compare Man Utd and Everton last season to this season- Martinez has improved Everton and have more points than equivalent stage, and Moyes has dragged Man Utd down.
Everyone (not on this forum but in other media and online sources) is saying the other teams spent money on new players but Man Utd didn't ~(amongst many other excuses), however Man Utd spent about £60 million under Moyes on new players, more than at least three of the teams that are above them.

Last edited:

familyguy99

Yes Oldham have just scored in 90th mins to make it 1-1. :D

^^ That have finish 1-1 mean is good point for Oldham which they still four points ahead of drop but move up to 17th in table now.

Full time - Man Utd 0-3 Man City it look easily for City and City are now 2nd in table plus have two games in hand on Chelsea.

Arsenal draw 2-2 to Swansea and Everton won 3-0 to Newcastle mean Everton are only six points behide Arsenal but have game in hand on Arsenal and Arsenal have to go to Goodison Park on April 6th.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Arsenal 2 Swansea 2
Man Utd 0 Man City 3
Newcastle 0 Everton 3.

Everton now only 6 points behind Arsenal, with a game in hand and a home match against arsenal. Arsenal has a 3 goal superior Goal difference
Everton's game in hand is against Crystal Palace.

David

Established Member
As you were at the top of League 2 tonight, as the only team in the top 7 who didn't win tonight was Oxford Utd, who didn't play anyway.

Super Sam Winnall strikes twice again tonight to extend his lead at the top of the scoring charts as well, plus Scunthorpe equal a 125 year old record !!!!

Clip

Established Member
Wasnt expecting a win tonight but 3 against us is simply not good enough. Mind you the football hasnt been good enough for some time now....

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Moyes has well and truly been found out when you compare Man Utd and Everton last season to this season- Martinez has improved Everton and have more points than equivalent stage, and Moyes has dragged Man Utd down.

The media image portrayed of Moyes publically "hanging himself out to dry" by his public admissions of guilt acceptance is not what you would accept from someone in such a high-profile post and to be honest, is embarrassing to read.
Leaves Athletico Madrid top of league. I was confused as they have an inferior goal difference to Real Madrid, but have now learnt that the Spanish take head to head record before goal difference.

Sevilla 2...Real Madrid 1

A week is a long time in politics so they say and appears to be the same in La Liga, as what seemed like a strong position that Real Madrid had built up in an aid to win the league title has completely dissipated with successive league defeats at home to Barcelona and away to Sevilla.

This is the first time that Real Madrid have suffered two consecutive league defeats since May 2009, according to what was reported after the match.

andrew bell

As you were at the top of League 2 tonight, as the only team in the top 7 who didn't win tonight was Oxford Utd, who didn't play anyway.

Super Sam Winnall strikes twice again tonight to extend his lead at the top of the scoring charts as well, plus Scunthorpe equal a 125 year old record !!!!

I am dreading Saturday. I can't go due to work but I am expecting a heavy defeat. Won't be too surprised if I turn on at 5 and it finishes Scunthorpe 4/5/6-0 Wycombe :( 😮

Steveaki13

Hi everyone.

I was just reading the BBC website and they say UEFA have decided on a new International tournament. The "Nations League" Sounds a bizarre and complex system as it has to fit around Euro 2020 qualifiers and then has 4 spots for Euro 2020 itself.

On the one hand I suppose its better than friendlies but on the other side I enjoy England playing sides from elsewhere occasionally.

What do others think?

David

Established Member
So how many games unbeaten is that now for Wilcox?

Something like 25 games, seems now like the cup defeat against Grimsby was a blessing in disguise

23 games now. Laws was sacked after the defeat to Grimsby. If Scunthorpe avoid defeat on Saturday, that will be the 125 year old record broken.

Andrew - It will not be a cricket score on Saturday, as teams have figured out a way to nullify some of the threat that the Scunthorpe strike force possesses. However, they're still finding ways of coming at teams, plus Winnall, McSheffrey and Madden are starting to find top form.

Oswyntail

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26760067
The Football Association is to lose £1.6m of public funding for the amateur game in England after failing to reverse a sharp decline in the number of people regularly playing the sport.
The game is now less "participated in" than Athletics, Cycling and Swimming (people taking part for more than 30 minutes per week, according to the Active Sports survey). For me the question really is why an association with an annual turnover of £300 million should be getting so much public money for its grassroots programme. The report then adds the usual grumble that the public grounds it uses are becoming more expensive but worse quality. But, at grassroots level, the FA is like a cuckoo in the nest of other sports, voracious in its demands for dedicated facilities but totally unwilling to give anything back.

Johnuk123

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26782112

Very interesting and potentially very damaging admission about Manchester United here.

Based on the performance of the ref on Tuesday night it's hard to think they aren't influenced by this type of thing.

Really shocked that Scudamore would say that

Very shocking but money talks and that's what this is all about.

It certainly does come across as a message to refs that Man U. losing is not good so try your hardest to let them win.
What he's saying is it isn't in the best interests of the P.L. if top teams and one in particular aren't doing well, when you think about it it's astonishing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see other PL clubs kicking up a right fuss about this.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26782112

Very interesting and potentially very damaging admission about Manchester United here. Based on the performance of the ref on Tuesday night it's hard to think they aren't influenced by this type of thing.

Really shocked that Scudamore would say that

With regard to the Tuesday night stated referee performance, may I refer back only a matter of a few days when a referee awarded no less than THREE penalties against Manchester United...and at Old Trafford at that..:shock:

I will cite an example of how, in commercial terms, how a brand can be very much damaged by ongoing events. Look at the Co-operative Society movement and the damage now caused to it by the personal actions of the senior person in their banking division which has now left an organisation of historical standing and a reputation for ethical banking in the desperate position in which it now finds itself.

Professional football at Premier League standard is naught but a TOTALLY capital-and-debt driven commercial entity and can rightly be compared to other such organisations. To regard football as a sport that supporters go to enjoy their tribalistic pleasure is to hark back to the days of packed standing terraces with rattles and football favours much to the fore, when the highlight was the half-time visit to the urinals, then off to the rickety stall that sold hot pies and Bovril/Oxo, without any use of hand-washing facilities.

I speak as one who saw his first match in the year of the Coronation, so can call upon some sixty years of experience of football, rugby union and rugby league.

Johnuk123

Established Member
In the full report of what Scudamore said was this :

You have to balance that off against, generally, we're in the business of putting on a competition"
So by using the word generally we can assume he means it's only a competition sometimes.

It's amazing that the best P.L. season for years with several teams having a possible chance of winning it we have this clown telling everybody how negative that is.

He shouldn't get too concerned because all the plastics will drop them like a shot and go with somebody else.

Last edited:
With regard to the Tuesday night stated referee performance, may I refer back only a matter of a few days when a referee awarded no less than THREE penalties against Manchester United...and at Old Trafford at that..:shock:

I will cite an example of how, in commercial terms, how a brand can be very much damaged by ongoing events. Look at the Co-operative Society movement and the damage now caused to it by the personal actions of the senior person in their banking division which has now left an organisation of historical standing and a reputation for ethical banking in the desperate position in which it now finds itself.

Professional football at Premier League standard is naught but a TOTALLY capital-and-debt driven commercial entity and can rightly be compared to other such organisations. To regard football as a sport that supporters go to enjoy their tribalistic pleasure is to hark back to the days of packed standing terraces with rattles and football favours much to the fore, when the highlight was the half-time visit to the urinals, then off to the rickety stall that sold hot pies and Bovril/Oxo, without any use of hand-washing facilities.

I speak as one who saw his first match in the year of the Coronation, so can call upon some sixty years of experience of football, rugby union and rugby league.

I totally agree Paul, however all 3 penalties were legit that day.

It wasn't so much the brutal elbow by Fellaini that wasn't punished it was the yellow card (deserved) given to Fernandinho in the first half when 30 seconds later Wayne Rooney comitted almost excatley the same offence and wasn't carded, even Gary Neville couldn't believe it. There was plenty there for City to be unhappy about.

I think that Scudamore's comments don't help the long held belief that Manchester United gave favourable decisions and have done for some time. Whether or not that actually happens, he has certainly added fuel to the fire.

On your comments about the way football has changed, I totally agree and don't I just know it being a Leeds fan.

I heard this morning that the staff have been paid but the players haven't so god only knows what type of performance we are going to get tomorrow against Doncaster.

It's almost become to much for me old dad, his health isn't great and is considering not renewing next season, shame because he's been an ST holder for nearly 30 years. I suspect I will be back next season but what state the club will be in, I really do not know. But Leeds is Leeds.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It wasn't so much the brutal elbow by Fellaini that wasn't punished it was the yellow card (deserved) given to Fernandinho in the first half when 30 seconds later Wayne Rooney comitted almost exactly the same offence and wasn't carded, even Gary Neville couldn't believe it. There was plenty there for City to be unhappy about.

There do seem to be occasions when dangerous play incidents are missed by the match officials at the time, but sometimes the football authorities can call for a video review which can still lead to strictures being awarded against the offenders. I am sure that there have been such instances this current season.

Butts

Veteran Member
Trust SS4's mob to get hammered 4-1 by Manchester United earlier today - this now falls into the category of an embarrassing defeat for any visitor to Old Trafford to succumb so easily. :p

familyguy99

Oldham draw 0-0 to Brentford today in which we match Brentford in whole of game, also first time Oldham had 0-0 scoreline since 28th April 2012 which was against Bury and it was very very boring game.

We still four point clear from bottom 4 and stay in 17th places but four teams who are in 19th to 22nd in table have 40 points, I think Oldham probably need other 7 points or maybe two more wins to be safe but I think it will go right down to last game of season until Oldham are stay in League One.

My second team of season Droylsden lost for 36th time this season as lost 4-3 to Worksop :(

SS4

Established Member
Trust SS4's mob to get hammered 4-1 by Manchester United earlier today - this now falls into the category of an embarrassing defeat for any visitor to Old Trafford to succumb so easily. :p

That scoreline was flattering and the game was closer than the scoreline suggested. Still 4-1 is what matters at the end of the day and our abysmal record at Old Trafford continues. Pretty annoyed at Palace winning but at least Cardiff and West Brom could only draw