• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

richw

Veteran Member
They only paid £35m for Carroll because they got £50m for Torres. In effect, they let Torres go, and got Carroll & Suarez in for an outlay of £8m. Good business, if you ask me.

Especially considering how lazy Torres became in that last half season he was at Liverpool. For the current strikers:
They sold
Torres £50m
Carroll £15m
Total sold players £65m

Carroll £35m
Suarez £23m,
Sturridge £12m
Total spent on bringing in £70m
So Sturridge and Suarez for a net spend of £5m sounds a good deal to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
BBC Football has a head line "Man United Confident ahead of Bayern tie"

Confident of what? A lose? A heavy defeat? I don't see Man Utd beating Bayern!

Clip

Established Member
BBC Football has a head line "Man United Confident ahead of Bayern tie"

Confident of what? A lose? A heavy defeat? I don't see Man Utd beating Bayern!

I get where youre coming from but should a team not be confident about going into a match? Have they ended their season already then?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Especially considering how lazy Torres became in that last half season he was at Liverpool. For the current strikers:
They sold
Torres £50m
Carroll £15m
Total sold players £65m

Carroll £35m
Suarez £23m,
Sturridge £12m
Total spent on bringing in £70m
So Sturridge and Suarez for a net spend of £5m sounds a good deal to me.

Yes but the point being is that they DID splash stupid amounts of cash on players to try and buy the title. Which is what one poster has claimed they never did.

richw

Veteran Member
I get where youre coming from but should a team not be confident about going into a match? Have they ended their season already then?

Yes but the point being is that they DID splash stupid amounts of cash on players to try and buy the title. Which is what one poster has claimed they never did.

Agree they spent large sums, but they recouped it in player sales unlike at least 2 other clubs who've bought the title The key factor to me is looking at net spend. (expenditure on transfers less income from player sales)

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Agree they spent large sums, but they recouped it in player sales unlike at least 2 other clubs who've bought the title The key factor to me is looking at net spend. (expenditure on transfers less income from player sales)

Well then you must also look at wages and agents fees on top of that.

So to recap - poster claims that Liverpool have never spent large sums of money trying to win the title when it has been pointed out to them that everyone buys the title.

It is pointed out to said poster that they have indeed done such a thing but this goes over peoples heads as they try to justify what they spent by what the sold and thus totally missing the point.

Brilliant.

Oswyntail

Established Member
To recap - poster claims that Liverpool have never spent large sums of money trying to win the title when it has been pointed out to them that everyone buys the title.....
Still, they have done so with more dignity than several other Prem clubs who have splashed the cash and ended up laughing stocks. Naming no clubs, of course (Newcastle, Leeds, Portsmouth, QPR, etc etc)

richw

Veteran Member
Well then you must also look at wages and agents fees on top of that.

So to recap - poster claims that Liverpool have never spent large sums of money trying to win the title when it has been pointed out to them that everyone buys the title.

It is pointed out to said poster that they have indeed done such a thing but this goes over peoples heads as they try to justify what they spent by what the sold and thus totally missing the point.

Brilliant.

To look at whether a club had bought (or tried to) a title you need to look at their net spend. If a club had only spent what they had sold players for it is unjustified to say they bought the title, if a club has spent well outside their income, it then becomes justified to say they've bought the title.
Since 2003 the clubs net transfer spends are
Chelsea £577,599,000
Man City £507,620,000
Man Utd £205,100,000
Liverpool £198,100,000
Aston villa £122,725,000
Spurs £98,550,000
Stoke £88,575,000
Sunderland £83,910,000
Hull £48,480,000
West ham £39,855,000
Norwich £39,515,000
Fulham £37,515,000
Southampton £33,765,000
West brom £28,306,000
Cardiff City £27,070,000
Swansea £22,770,000
Arsenal £17,305,000
Crystal palace £7,950,000
Newcastle -£4,800,000
Everton -£7,865,500

We can see which two teams it can be said have definitely tried to buy the title, Newcastle and Everton both in profit on the transfer market, it can be concluded villa have spent a lot of money to buy a higher league position than they've achieved. Southampton reportedly owe £27m in unpaid transfer fees.
Man Utd and Liverpool net spend is covered by the clubs revenues from other areas, so have spent within their means. Man City and Chelsea is well known they've spend above their means by ownership pumping money in, both of these clubs would almost certainly go into admininstration if their owners called in the debt they have pumped into the club.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
To look at whether a club had bought (or tried to) a title you need to look at their net spend. If a club had only spent what they had sold players for it is unjustified to say they bought the title, if a club has spent well outside their income, it then becomes justified to say they've bought the title.
Since 2003 the clubs net transfer spends are
Chelsea £577,599,000
Man City £507,620,000
Man Utd £205,100,000
Liverpool £198,100,000
Aston villa £122,725,000
Spurs £98,550,000
Stoke £88,575,000
Sunderland £83,910,000
Hull £48,480,000
West ham £39,855,000
Norwich £39,515,000
Fulham £37,515,000
Southampton £33,765,000
West brom £28,306,000
Cardiff City £27,070,000
Swansea £22,770,000
Arsenal £17,305,000
Crystal palace £7,950,000
Newcastle -£4,800,000
Everton -£7,865,500

We can see which two teams it can be said have definitely tried to buy the title, Newcastle and Everton both in profit on the transfer market, it can be concluded villa have spent a lot of money to buy a higher league position than they've achieved. Southampton reportedly owe £27m in unpaid transfer fees.

Moral of the story? Don't hire Martin O Neill

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Town and Donny should be aiming higher than beating us though, both are better than that.

I like what Hoyle has done at Huddersfield, I wonder if next season we'll see them really kick on. They have easily established themselves back in this league so perhaps the next step is a serious run at the play offs.

As for us, i'll just be happy to have a club next season. I really don't know what is going to happen, never a dull moment.

I watched tonights match between Sunderland and West Ham. Say what you like about Big Sam, he went up there and got the job done. A crucial win that surely means West Ham are safe and Sunderland are in deep trouble. Very good game I thought.

Dean Hoyle has been an example of how to run a medium-sized football club. All this talk about Liverpool's ins and outs in the transfer market is a stark reminder of that. At the start of last season we sold Rhodesy for £18million which is a crazy amount for a 2nd-tier club to receive, let alone spend, as Blackburn did. In January, the Town messageboards were full of rumours like '£5m for Shane Long/Adam Le Fondre', but Hoyle didn't make any 'headline' signings. Over the summer we signed Vaughan permanently but other than that, nothing big until breaking a record that stood for over a decade by just 100k to sign Wells.
My worry going forward though, is the surprisingly defensive formations used by Robins that seem to work against us more often than not. But yeah, next season with a bit of luck and signing a couple of decent centre-halves we might have an outside chance of a tilt at the play-offs.

After tonights result, I'm wondering if McDermott is only still in charge because GFH can't afford to sack him! We had a similar problem with Mick Wadsworth a few years back, before the administration. Back then there was no points deduction but we ended up in the 4th division, and not owning our ground until pretty recently.

Hope you get through it, there'd be no schadenfreude if Leeds folded.

fowler9

Established Member
I think that the argument about teams trying and succeeding in buying titles comes from Man City and Chelsea suddenly coming in to a fortune. Liverpool and Man United and many other teams got the money they spent from other revenue streams generated by years of success. I'm not having a go there at City and Chelsea, they broke no rules.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I was not all that surprised that Atletico Madrid drew 1-1 at Barcelona last night in the Champions League first-leg fixture, as they have held their own in La Liga all season (currently top) and the team have bonded well this season into a cohesive unit.

Cletus

Established Member
Here's an interesting development:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26852466

Barcelona transfer ban: Fifa issues 14-month sanction

Spanish champions Barcelona have been given a 14-month transfer ban by Fifa for breaking rules on signing international players under 18.
The Catalan club cannot buy or sell players until the summer of 2015 after the world governing body imposed a transfer ban for the next two windows.
They have also been fined 450,000 Swiss Francs (£305,000).
Fifa has also sanctioned the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) for the same breaches.
The RFEF has been given a fine of 500,000 Swiss Francs (£340,000) and told to "regularise [its] regulatory framework and existing system concerning the international transfer of minors in football" within a year.

Clip

Established Member
For the likes of Oswyntail and richw can I please refer you back to what was actually written and to what I commented on? Please, because you both seem to be totally missing the bloody point here

But Liverpool haven't really been breaking any transfer records lately, they are not the sort of team who spends £25+ million on players (on the sort of scale other teams do)

Thankyou.

and also richw it seems they are 4th in that table you presented yet have not won a title, so again, they HAVE spent money trying to buy the title which was what the above poster claimed they have not done.

Why is it so bloody hard with some of you sometimes??

Oswyntail

Established Member
I have never denied that any club has spent silly money on players. I suggested, as did others at the time, that Carroll attracted that high a price in part because of a favour to the selling club. I presume all clubs are aiming at the title (otherwise what is the point?) so all are trying to buy it. Some clubs appear to have more sensible, and successful, buying policies than others. Some, including one whose relevant employee claimed to be in contact with all the managers of big clubs, have a policy that, combined with an over-inflated view of their own importance, includes them in a list of laughing-stocks. That's Football - get over it.

richw

Veteran Member
For the likes of Oswyntail and richw can I please refer you back to what was actually written and to what I commented on? Please, because you both seem to be totally missing the bloody point here

Thankyou.

and also richw it seems they are 4th in that table you presented yet have not won a title, so again, they HAVE spent money trying to buy the title which was what the above poster claimed they have not done.

Why is it so bloody hard with some of you sometimes??

The point you seem to be completely missing is that some of those clubs - Liverpool and Man Utd for example are living within their means of income. Others are well outside of their means. The clubs spending considerably greater than their income on transfers are those who can definitely be said to be trying to buy the title - look at what happened to Leeds & Portsmouth from spending outside of their means for example.

Kite159

Veteran Member

They have purchased players for stupid money, but not on the same scale of Man City or Chelsea, as they sold players for silly money as well (Torres to Chelsea).

But like any team in the top half of the table, they need to spend money to keep up with the bottomless pit known as Man City/Chelsea (and Man Utd)

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Also on the BBC website.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26318934

A referee rescinds a red card and changes a penalty to a drop ball. I presume it must be a special rule they can only use on April 1st.......
Nothing wrong with that. A referee can change any decision at any time until such time as the game is restarted, whether that be by kick-off, drop ball, corner-kick etc.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Nothing wrong with that. A referee can change any decision at any time until such time as the game is restarted, whether that be by kick-off, drop ball, corner-kick etc.

It's not 'the rules' that were being banded around by so called 'pundits' when Oxlade-Chamberlain Kieran Gibbs was sent off, "ref can't change his mind" etc, etc. Water under the bridge now though I guess.

richw

Veteran Member
It's not 'the rules' that were being banded around by so called 'pundits' when Oxlade-Chamberlain Kieran Gibbs was sent off, "ref can't change his mind" etc, etc. Water under the bridge now though I guess.

I guess it comes down to whether the referee is "man enough" to admit a mistake or not. Let's face it it was a low profile game and not going to have millions watching on match of the day, so he probably thought there'd be little publicity about bit.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
And yet I suspect Marriner would have received less media attention if he had changed his mind, though he wouldn't have known that at the time.....