• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

overtonchris

I note that news has come out that full-back Luke Shaw told the management at Southampton on the very last day of last season that he wished to join Manchester United.

Considering other recent departures and impending departures from Southampton, a carefully fostered Southampton team now looks to have its soul ripped out of it.

Whilst I've no love for Southampton FC - as a life-time supporter for a "smaller" local club (hey NOT POMPEY! - I do feel sorry for them after a really good entertaining showing in the Prem this last season to watch their personnel get split up. Personal feelings aside, I hope they don't go down that big 'ol slippery slope again.... that would be a shame... the South (outside of the smoke) needs a decent competitive team and club (or two), and the Saints do get OK support......though a bit quiet sometimes.;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
England = Class 220 Voyagers

Fairly decent but slated by many.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I see there is continuing strike action, police oppression and consequent rioting on the streets of the capital in Brazil. trouble free WC?

Johnuk123

Established Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...t-British-media-and-plot-to-destroy-Fifa.html[

Sepp Blatter unleashed an astonishing tirade against the “racist” British media and what he branded a plot to “destroy” Fifa last night as he confirmed his intention to stand for a controversial fifth term as president.
Blatter lashed out against the critics of football’s world governing body in two defiant speeches, finally breaking his silence over the corruption crisis to engulf the organisation he leads ahead of the World Cup in Brazil.

A blatant attempt to subvert and twist the Qatar corruption accusations would be hard to find. The bloke has obviously not learnt that playing the race card to stifle debate is now seen as quite pathetic.

richw

Veteran Member

Johnuk123

Established Member
My first thought to reading this was "is he trying to divert the discussion to protect himself?"

Of course he is, Blatter has got form for this.

FIFA needs disbanding and a new football governing body should be formed as FIFA is now totally tainted in sleaze from top to bottom.

Unfortunately nothing will change and Blatter will no doubt be elected for the 5th time.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Blatter is now 78 years of age. Will his age count against him when the time for the next election comes around....or will we see a Mugabe-style "post holder for life" scenario ensue ?

I think the only numbers that really matter when it comes to Blatter (and Fifa more generally) are those written on a bank balance, not those that relate to his age...

Saint66

The impact of the Hereford expulsion is that a club from the Conference South is going to have to be moved north. The club that looks most likely to be moved? Hemel Hempstead from Hertfordshire... One of those famous mining towns!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
They are, but it seems there is some kind of imbalance between the two divisions, and as a result, one team is having to move north.

When you consider that teams are relegated from League 2 to the Conference Premiership then have a bad season and are relegated again to either the North or South divisions, I cite the case of what occurred to Stockport County, that too can have a detrimental geographical effect upon the Conference North and South divisions in a rather bizarre way. How much do you envisage that the geographical area of teams in the Conference North and the Conference South changed since these two divisions attained their current status ?

Cletus

Established Member
1st season of Conference North/South was 2004/2005.

Teams in each division & final positions, at that time not too bad geographically.
Grays Athletic
Cambridge City
Thurrock
Lewes
Eastbourne Borough
Basingstoke Town
Weymouth
Dorchester Town
Bognor Regis Town
Bishop's Stortford
Weston-super-Mare
Hayes
Havant & Waterlooville
St Albans City
Sutton United
Welling United
Hornchurch
Newport County
Carshalton Athletic
Maidenhead United
Margate
Redbridge

Southport
Nuneaton Borough
Droylsden
Kettering Town
Altrincham
Harrogate Town
Worcester City
Stafford Rangers
Redditch United
Hucknall Town
Gainsborough Trinity
Hinckley United
Lancaster City
Alfreton Town
Vauxhall Motors
Barrow
Worksop Town
Moor Green
Stalybridge Celtic
Runcorn FC Halton
Ashton United
Bradford Park Avenue

It must be time that the rules on expelling/demoting teams is changed. Salisbury were demoted, made it back and are having financial problems.
Who were the last team to be demoted? Chester in 2010 and in four years then they have got back to the conference, relegated and reprieved.

These teams should be made to start again at the bottom of the pyramid.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It must be time that the rules on expelling/demoting teams is changed. Salisbury were demoted, made it back and are having financial problems. Who were the last team to be demoted? Chester in 2010 and in four years then they have got back to the conference, relegated and reprieved. These teams should be made to start again at the bottom of the pyramid.

Are both Salisbury and Chester now differently made up in their current state than they were prior to what occurred before ? I think Chester saw some serious structural changes to their organisation.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It must be time that the rules on expelling/demoting teams is changed. Salisbury were demoted, made it back and are having financial problems. Who were the last team to be demoted? Chester in 2010 and in four years then they have got back to the conference, relegated and reprieved. These teams should be made to start again at the bottom of the pyramid.

Are both Salisbury and Chester now differently made up in their current state than they were prior to what occurred before ? I think Chester saw some serious structural changes to their organisation.

Cletus

Established Member
It seems that Lowestoft are going North, geographically correct, but a transport nightmare.

http://www.lowestofttownfc.co.uk/ne...ce-decision-1235082.html#.U5dGuseRqqg.twitter

Lowestoft Town Football Club are disappointed with the decision by the Football Conference to move them to the Conference North.

Lowestoft disappointed with Conference decision
The club were informed of the decision late this afternoon and have been informed that due to Hereford being expelled from the Football Conference, Hayes & Yeading have been reprieved and Lowestoft have been switched from the South to the Conference North.

This has come as a shock for the club and once we've had time to digest the news, we will respond in due course. Until this point the club will make no further comment.

Saint66

It seems that Lowestoft are going North, geographically correct, but a transport nightmare.

http://www.lowestofttownfc.co.uk/ne...ce-decision-1235082.html#.U5dGuseRqqg.twitter

Yep, seems that Lowestoft have been chosen to go North, but, everyone is still waiting until Thursday, which is the day that the final announcement will be made.

Salisbury's situation could see more reprieves at this level.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Considering that's from the Express, I'm not sure I would totally trust the figures stated as fact. :D

Johnuk123

Established Member

Butts

Veteran Member

I read in The Independent that the average Premiership Footballers Salary is £1.6 Million per year - but in these recessionary times not a squeak of protest :lol:

Incidentally I hope Southampton have some master plan for survival as in addition to losing their Manager, they seem in the process of decimating the team :idea:

With regard to Blatter he is bent as a "nine bob note" to use the old sex pistols adage his view is that... "The only notes that really count are the ones that come in wads"

richw

Veteran Member

The current Chester is officially a different club! Think rangers but low profile. I'm unsure of Salisbury. Chester City was wound up in March 2010, with supporters establishing Chester FC in May 2010. As a new club they can make an application to join at any level of the non league pyramid.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Would the "laughable" media hype and ridiculously portrayed TV advertising concerning the 2014 World Cup be anything that would remotely have any effect on those members of the public with the standard coefficient of brain cells ?
Of course - it would confirm to them that this is a good time to sit in the garden, read a book, go for a walk. With any luck, this divorce from "the beautiful game" could become permanent<D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It will be interesting to see what happens with Hereford and potentially Salisbury. I wonder if they receive the same punishment as we did. I would hate to see anyone else go through the same kind of treatment form our good friends at the FA.

The problem, as always, is that their rules simply punish those trying to save a club, rather than the “colourful” owners who get them into such a mess in the first place. Let us not forget that they are all “fit and proper” chaps!

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least Hereford hasn't banned their new owner, although it sounded a bit like one of those Pompey owners who sucked money out of the club. Problem is they weren't getting the fans through the gates last season.

I see Sky are advertising some sort of promotional deal with broadband if you take out Sky Sports and advertising a brand new channel aimed at European Football.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I see Sky are advertising some sort of promotional deal with broadband if you take out Sky Sports and advertising a brand new channel aimed at European Football.

BT Sport have seized that particular opportunity (theirs is free sport if you take out their BT broadband) many months ago and Sky are unbelievably late in responding to it.