• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Johnuk123

Established Member
Memorable dates in Manchester City's Illustrious History:

1937: Division 1 Title Winners for the first time, under Wilf Wild
1956: FA Cup Winners under Les McDowall
1968: Division 1 Title Winners under Joe Mercer
1969: FA Cup Winners under Joe Mercer
1983: Yaya Toure is born
1984: Yaya Toure's 1st Birthday
1985: Yaya Toure's 2nd Birthday
1986: Yaya Toure's 3rd Birthday
1987: Yaya Toure's 4th Birthday
1988: Yaya Toure's 5th Birthday
1989: Yaya Toure's 6th Birthday
1990: Yaya Toure's 7th Birthday
1991: Yaya Toure's 8th Birthday
1992: Yaya Toure's 9th Birthday
1993: Yaya Toure's 10th Birthday
1994: Yaya Toure's 11th Birthday
1995: Yaya Toure's 12th Birthday
1996: Yaya Toure's 13th Birthday
1997: Yaya Toure's 14th Birthday
1998: Yaya Toure's 15th Birthday
1999: Yaya Toure's 16th Birthday
2000: Yaya Toure's 17th Birthday
2001: Yaya Toure's 18th Birthday
2002: Yaya Toure's 19th Birthday
2003: Yaya Toure's 20th Birthday
2004: Yaya Toure's 21st Birthday
2005: Yaya Toure's 22nd Birthday
2006: Yaya Toure's 23rd Birthday
2007: Yaya Toure's 24th Birthday
2008: Yaya Toure's 25th Birthday
2009: Yaya Toure's 26th Birthday
2010: Yaya Toure's 27th Birthday
2011: Yaya Toure's 28th Birthday; FA Cup Winners under Roberto Mancini
2012: Yaya Toure's 29th Birthday; Premier League Champions under Roberto Mancini
2013: Yaya Toure's 30th Birthday
2014: Yaya Toure's 31st Birthday; Premier League Champions under Manuel Pellegrini

I guarantee that if the Wolves can get him on a free transfer he can have all the cake, jelly and candles he wants.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnuk123

Established Member
That takes wishful thinking to a whole new level!!

Yes I know, he's such a fantastic player yet off the field he seems like a bit of a knob.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Three minutes played....and it is still goal-less....:D

Obviously trying to fix a match usually involves losing as winning requires both teams to be in on it which is less likely.

So if by some miracle Scotland genuinely win by about 10 it will look a bit iffy to say the least.

I should imagine if Scotland find themselves 3 nil up they will try and keep it to that just to avoid scrutiny.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Malcolm Glazer owner of Man U. has died in America.

I predict Arab ownership within a year.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
So Pochettino has become Levy's latest victim, sorry Manager.

Hopefully if he decides to raid some of Southampton young players, Southampton get good deals for them

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gus Poyet has signed a 2 year contract to continue to manage Sunderland which is well earned considering the totally doomed position the club found itself in when he took over last season and he guided them to the relative safety of 14th place by the end of the season, chalking up some notable results against the top clubs in doing so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Obviously trying to fix a match usually involves losing as winning requires both teams to be in on it which is less likely. So if by some miracle Scotland genuinely win by about 10 it will look a bit iffy to say the least.

I should imagine if Scotland find themselves 3 nil up they will try and keep it to that just to avoid scrutiny.

Well, it finished all square at 2-2 and no-one had "home" advantage for a change.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Entirely accurate, when it comes to football Nigeria is one of the most corrupt nations, possibly the most corrupt, registered with Fifa, see my posts here from last summer:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1502025&postcount=10132

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1502032&postcount=10134

Whilst I realise Johnuk123 hasn't got the best reputation on other threads, there is nothing to fault with what he said there, unless you are totally ignorant of world football.

Also interesting to note that Scotland's first goal last night (to equalise 1-1) was courtesy of the Nigerian goalkeeper palming the ball into his own net - after first twisting his body around to do so...

Could apply to roughly 98.73% of ALL football players, at whatever level<D

That's unfair. Whilst they aren't the brightest demographic, very few of them are out and out idiots. Certainly the lower down the leagues you go the more harmless they get. If you assume there's say 5,000 full-time footballers in the UK, if you subtract the genuine kn*bs and round the figure, you'll still have 5,000.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Am I mistaken or are the playoffs normally the other way round, league 2 on Saturday and championship on the Monday?

In odd-numbered years, the Championship play-off final is played last, as the 'climax' (oo-er, missus!) of the season. However in even-numbered years there's a major international tournament taking place- as players at Championship clubs are more likely to be involved in the Euros/World Cup, the order is reversed to allow those players to join up with their national squads sooner.

ExRes

Established Member
Entirely accurate, when it comes to football Nigeria is one of the most corrupt nations, possibly the most corrupt, registered with Fifa, see my posts here from last summer:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1502025&postcount=10132

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1502032&postcount=10134

Whilst I realise Johnuk123 hasn't got the best reputation on other threads, there is nothing to fault with what he said there, unless you are totally ignorant of world football.

Also interesting to note that Scotland's first goal last night (to equalise 1-1) was courtesy of the Nigerian goalkeeper palming the ball into his own net - after first twisting his body around to do so...

That's unfair. Whilst they aren't the brightest demographic, very few of them are out and out idiots. Certainly the lower down the leagues you go the more harmless they get. If you assume there's say 5,000 full-time footballers in the UK, if you subtract the genuine kn*bs and round the figure, you'll still have 5,000.

I think you'll find that the goalkeeper palming the ball into his own net was given as a foul against him by a Scottish player, it wasn't a goal

David

Established Member
Malcolm Glazer owner of Man U. has died in America.

I predict Arab ownership within a year.

Only if 4 or more of the Glazer clan wish to sell their share of the club (the 6 children all have a 15% stake in Manchester Utd). The other 10% is listed on the New York Stock Exchange. At the current share price ($16.12 (mid-market price - approx £10)), that means the club has a market capitalisation of $2.65bn (approx £1.6-1.7bn). For a consortium of rich Arabian investors to take control of the club, they will have to pay a substantial premium on the current share price, and with a probable (significent) reduction of earnings in the next financial year, it's not IMO, a purchase that will tempt investors. Also, with such a deal, there's no guarantee that debt attached to the club will be payed off, another stumbling block for potential investors.

richw

Veteran Member
Sky Sports news reporting Liverpool have agreed a £9m deal for Rickie Lambert.
Also speculating the over inflated price will give a lower price for Lallana to suit Southampton, as Lallana has a sell on clause, to pay Bournemouth a percentage of sell on.

CC 72100

Established Member
Sky Sports news reporting Liverpool have agreed a £9m deal for Rickie Lambert.
Also speculating the over inflated price will give a lower price for Lallana to suit Southampton, as Lallana has a sell on clause, to pay Bournemouth a percentage of sell on.

BBC are saying 4 million - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27629474

Must admit, didn't see this one happening. Not sure how a 32 year-old Lambert will get on, evidently playing behind Danny and Suarez in the pecking order - I mean if there is any time in your career when you want to get as much playing time as possible and not sit on the bench, I'd have said that is even more so in the mid-30s.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Lambert is a lifelong Liverpool fan, and if they are willing to pay him to play even only a couple of games, then it would be a good deal for him. He won't go hungry with the deal.

I'm still holding out hope that Wolves ask me to play for them... I'd do it for free!

Butts

Veteran Member
Lambert is a lifelong Liverpool fan, and if they are willing to pay him to play even only a couple of games, then it would be a good deal for him. He won't go hungry with the deal.

I'm still holding out hope that Wolves ask me to play for them... I'd do it for free!

Oh dear this could be another Robbie Keane :oops:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Brian McDermott sacked as Leeds boss - has been coming for months.

The Leeds job, like the Forest one, is a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment. Who will be next?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27646829

Auntie Beeb said:
Brian McDermott leaves Leeds United by mutual consent

Manager Brian McDermott has left Championship side Leeds United by mutual consent.
The former Reading boss had been in charge since April 2013, having signed a three-year contract.
He helped keep the club in the Championship this season, during which time they were taken over by Italian businessman Massimo Cellino.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Roy Keane to Villa as a no.2 to Lambert while keeping his part-time Ireland job according to Sky.

If true it just emphasises how an assistant managers job in the Premier league at a below average team is preferable to being Celtic manager.

Minilad

Established Member
Roy Keane to Villa as a no.2 to Lambert while keeping his part-time Ireland job according to Sky.

If true it just emphasises how an assistant managers job in the Premier league at a below average team is preferable to being Celtic manager.

I would have thought for anyone who wants to be taken remotely seriously Celtic is the last place you would go at the moment. It's a hiding to nothing job at least until they have a semblance of competition again