• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

familyguy99

League Cup first round draw took place this Morning and here is full draw.

Northern Section.
Oldham v Middlesbrough
Shrewsbury v Blackpool
Sheffield Wednesday v Notts County
Tranmere v Nottingham Forest
Leeds v Accrington
Bolton v Bury
Rochdale v Preston
Rotherham v Fleetwood
Carlisle v Derby
Port Vale v Hartlepool
Morecambe v Bradford
Barnsley v Crewe
Chesterfield v Huddersfield
Blackburn v Scunthorpe
Burton v Wigan
York v Doncaster
Sheffield United v Mansfield

Southern section.
Reading v Newport
Bristol City v Oxford
Brighton v Cheltenham
Coventry v Cardiff
Luton v Swindon
Dagenham & Redbridge v Brentford
Charlton v Colchester
Crawley v Ipswich
Wolves v Northampton
Yeovil v Gillingham
MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon
Exeter v Bournemouth
Stevenage v Watford
Plymouth v Leyton Orient
Birmingham v Cambridge
Portsmouth v Peterborough
Millwall v Wycombe
Southend v Walsall

All games will take place on week of 11th August.

Happy that Oldham got home draw against a Championship side in which I think we can beat Middlesbrough, hopefully Latics do beat them in First round as we could get Man Utd in second round draw as Man Utd are not in Europe competition next season.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
So far, Belgium look like they might be in trouble...

Two goals in the last 20 minutes sees Belgium take all three points with a 2-1 win.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
***************************************************************************************************

My good lady wife asks "What type of Brazilian national football team has players called Fred and Jo"....:D

Saint66

Brazil, on the whole, were poor, and I still don't believe they will win the WC. Of course, if they get though into the next round, there could be a massive improvement.

David

Established Member
Fixtures have been released, and for Scunthorpe, it doesn't look too bad, although we do have a nice long trip to Swindon on the opening day, followed 2 weeks later another long trip to Yoevil.

Doncaster visit here on the 4th October, with the return fixture on the final day.

The Christmas and New Year period looks very tasty though, as we start with Bradford (a), followed by Rochdale (h), Sheffield Utd (a) and Barnsley (h).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Oh dear!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27902486

Aunt Beeb said:
Dave Hockaday: Leeds United set to appoint new head coach

Leeds United are set to appoint former Forest Green Rovers boss Dave Hockaday as their new head coach.
BBC Radio Leeds understands the 56-year-old is at Elland Road to finalise a deal that will see him replace Brian McDermott, who left at the end of May.
Hockaday has been out of the game since leaving the Conference Premier side by mutual consent in October 2013.

Words have it from a Forest Green supporting mate that Hockaday presided over one of the worst periods in the club's history - performance wise.

Leeds are playing Millwall in the opening game. You can't make this up.

I might run a sweepstake on how long he lasts. :p

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
One considerate enough to simplify Frederico Chaves Guedes and João Alves de Assis Silva for foreigners ;)

That is most thoughtful of you, for which my good lady wfe thanks you. However, on being shown their names in your posting, she wonders why their shirts do not carry the surnames of Guedes and Silva, as other teams seem to do.

Imagine if a certain England player came out with "Way" on his shirt..:D

Last edited:

familyguy99

Oldham will kick off new season at Colchester and our first home match is against Leyton Orient who lost to Rotherham in Play off final.

Latics local derby match against Rochdale is on 29th November and 3rd January. I will be spotland on 29th November for that match. :)

Johnson v Johnson (lee Johnson Oldham manager v Gary Johnson Yeovil Manager) is on 13th December and 7th March.

Oldham final league match is at home to Peterborough on 2nd May.

EDIT: I'm surprise to see full list of Premiership fixture for New year day knowing the be no football league fixture on this date, I would thought they had this date as blank special as FA Cup third round going to be taking place two day later mean Premiership clubs will be playing on 26th Dec, 28th Dec, 1st Jan and 3rd Jan which mean four matches in 8 days for Premiership clubs.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Hereford United will have to wait for this Saturday's meeting of the Southern League to find out how their application to join this league will fare. There now appears a query over the exact board status of the new owner.

It's not good there at all - new owner though debts were of 300k, more like 1 million 300k.

The way that club has gone downhill since Turner resigned as manager and then sold the club is shocking.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Spain & the Aussies are heading home

Biggest upset for Spain since their Armada failed in their objectives.

Someone's Kangaroo has certainly been tied down. They should stick to cricket.
******************************************************************************************************

Well then, the dreaded Thursday has arrived. All the "highly respected" red-top xenophobic sports journalists have committed themselves to print, newspaper offices will have renditions of Vera Lynn piped through to all departments and press rooms decorated in wall-to-wall Union Jacks.

However, in the real word...not in a "Galaxy far Away"...there is no Yoda to issue words of wisdom to the England team and their manager.....nor will a reincarnation of "Sharpe" appear to exhort the team to great efforts to the strains of "Over the hills and far away"...:roll:

Minilad

Established Member
Last season a certain buck toothed Uruguayan dived to win a penalty against my team. The MOTD "experts" came rushing to his defence. Apparently he was being "clever" not cheating at all. I really hope he does the same tonight just to watch the staggering hypocrisy as they all give him hell for being the blatant cheat he really is.
Karma is a bitch

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Last season a certain buck toothed Uruguayan dived to win a penalty against my team. The MOTD "experts" came rushing to his defence. Apparently he was being "clever" not cheating at all. I really hope he does the same tonight just to watch the staggering hypocrisy as they all give him hell for being the blatant cheat he really is.
Karma is a bitch

Should such an occurrence occur in the match later today, you will observe the wonders of a "Damascene Conversion" taking place, for when matters of "British Xenophobia" are brought into play, the results are said to be truly amazing to behold...:D

SS4

Established Member
Karma is a bitch

Cheating sod cost us 2 points <(

Butts

Veteran Member
Thank God that is over for another four years - the only shame will be the "grasping straws" for possible scenarios enabling progression to the next stage.

Lets be honest they are not good enough - perhaps in four years time :idea:

SS4

Established Member
Thank God that is over for another four years - the only shame will be the "grasping straws" for possible scenarios enabling progression to the next stage.

You wish. There will be the inevitable post-mortem, the clutching straws as you said, the blame game, interviews with players and pundits and the inevitable comparisons which may well last the rest of the tournament.

Lets be honest they are not good enough - perhaps in four years time :idea:

Perhaps an older member of the forum could confirm/deny but why do I get the feeling that's been said since 1970?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
They're goin' home, they're goin' home. They're goin', England's going home!

Altered this for you

The media "clutching-at-straws" insistence that with two defeats in the first two matches under their belt still means that England can still qualify for the next stage will give great heart to the other countries who lost their first two games...<(

Last edited:

Altered this for you

The media "clutching-at-straws" insistence that with two defeats in the first two matches under their belt still means that England can still qualify for the next stage will give great heart to the other countries who lost their first two games...<(
haha Curse of Cameron strikes again - everytime the PM wishes the team luck, this happens. I spent the best part of an hour and a half to witness the sporting equivalent of overhead line damage :roll:

Sadly, England's defence is as secure as the seat cushions on Greater Anglia's Class 315's :oops: And Rooney, like their Class 317's, won't last forever :roll:

Last edited: