• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

96tommy

Well if you live in Central London that is always going to be more of a target than say Falkirk ......

It's not just Wembley but the whole City.

I suppose you either have to accept it or move out ?

I fully accept it, always going to be a risk of living in the middle of one of the World's major cities! Not free until 6pm anyway tomorrow so will probably make a decision then whether to go or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
I fully accept it, always going to be a risk of living in the middle of one of the World's major cities! Not free until 6pm anyway tomorrow so will probably make a decision then whether to go or not.

I can emphasise living in Falkirk :oops:

Personally I would go, but it's easy to say that from a distance. However presumeably you have to travel to work so it's just another journey ?

Smudger105e

I travelled through Victoria years ago on my way from Brighton to Alsager. Ten minutes after I passed through, a bomb went off in a litter bin on the Eastern side.

If it's your time it's your time. I would go to Wembley myself.

Butts

Veteran Member
I travelled through Victoria years ago on my way from Brighton to Alsager. Ten minutes after I passed through, a bomb went off in a litter bin on the Eastern side.

Did you actually walk past the bin ? - was that in the "IRA Days" ?

Busaholic

Veteran Member

The first IRA bomb in London in the 1970s was planted in a car very near to New Scotland Yard, but an eagle-eyed young PC spotted the car's registration seemed 'wrong' and the bomb was defused before it could go off. I was working round the corner at 55 Broadway, though we knew nothing of the incident at the time. A year or so later I was working for Camden Council in a building just off the Euston Road when I heard a faint noise from outside ( sounds from outside never normally penetrated) and knew instinctively I'd heard a bomb go off, at Euston Station it transpired. Another one went off at Kings Cross around the same time, but I didn't hear that one. Some time later I heard from my house in Hither Green the East Greenwich gasworks bomb explosion, and saw the sky lit up with the ensuing fire. I was also in the area when a bomb being defused in a Wimpy Bar in Oxford Street blew up and killed the poor guy working on it. Lastly, I was on my way to a job interview and got stuck on a train between New Cross and London Bridge for about ninety minutes, to discover that a bomb had gone off on a train at Borough Market Junction in the morning rush hour, thankfully with no casualties as it had detrained its hundreds of commuters at Cannon Street and was coming back as empty stock. The sight of that carriage with its roof peeled back like on a sardine can will live with me forever, because nothing had prepared me for it. No announcement had been made at LB, I think there may have mention of an 'incident' causing the delay! No mobile phones, let alone internet!

The point I'm trying to make is that you have to go on doing what you normally do, not only because otherwise the terrorists have 'won' but also because it is irrational to assume anyone has the faintest idea when or where they will strike next. It has been over ten years since that awful 7/7 day, and other than the abortive attempts of 21/7 and the now-forgotten attempt to blow up a nightclub near Piccadilly Circus there have been no terrorist incidents in London ascribed to Islamic fundamentalism, which in a way is a remarkable record.

richw

Veteran Member
Republic of Ireland have qualified.

Assuming the seedlings will mean England, Republic of Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland can't be in the same group. That would be a great group.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Republic of Ireland have qualified. Assuming the seedlings will mean England, Republic of Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland can't be in the same group. That would be a great group.

The last time I heard of seedlings being discussed was on "Gardeners Question Time"...:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Who are they??? ??????

Your quote above immediately took me back to the milk advert with two young boys from the Liverpool area being featured of many years ago when Accrington Stanley were a non-league club...:oops:

richw

Veteran Member
Daily mail are reporting that since the attacks there has been a surge for tickets and is now a sell out for tomorrow night. When was Wembley last sold out for a friendly.
Also reporting that the words to the French national anthem will be shown on the big screens so anyone can join in.

96tommy

Belgium v Spain cancelled for security reasons. Not making my decision any easier whether to go tomorrow night or not.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Belgium v Spain cancelled for security reasons. Not making my decision any easier whether to go tomorrow night or not.

I was very surprised to hear that Belgium is such a hot-bed of Islamic fundamentalist beliefs but there are areas there very much like France with many unemployed male youths of Islamic faith that are are seen ripe for radicalisation. It was said on Radio 4 that more of these had left Belgium to fight for ISIL than in any other European country.

richw

Veteran Member
Wales, Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland all confirmed to be in draw pot 4. England pot 1, so a good chance one of those 3 will get England.

familyguy99

I see former Latics boss Darren Kelly have been sacked as Halifax manager, I wonder when last time a manager was sacked by two clubs in space of couple of months of each other?

FA Cup First Round Replay
Oldham 2-0 Mansfield

First time Oldham won second games in row since end of March and Latics now play Sheff Utd (away) in second round of FA Cup.

familyguy99

I hope the Oldham fan that had CPR and carried away in an ambulance can recover. Not a great day with a minute's silence for Paris, applause for the horribly early death of an ex-player and then the distressing sight of that. Football really wasn't important at all yesterday :(

Latest news is he is in a stable yet serious condition in hospital. it never nice to hear football fans have heart attack while att a match, hopefully he makes fully recovery and back watching Latics in near future.

Minilad

Established Member
If the Villa ever win a home game again 30000 people will have a heart attack!
As an aside a passenger died (possibly from a heart attack) at New Street this evening

96tommy

Just walked back in from Wembley and have to say it was one of the most pleasant atmosphere I have ever been in. The joint singing of the La Marseillaise was beautiful and it really showed how football can bring the best out of people.

richw

Veteran Member
Just walked back in from Wembley and have to say it was one of the most pleasant atmosphere I have ever been in. The joint singing of the La Marseillaise was beautiful and it really showed how football can bring the best out of people.

It seemed much more like a rugby atmosphere, fans together, singing talking and such.
In rugby we are not segregated from the opposition and it creates a fantastic atmosphere, with next to no atmosphere.
My last game was 6 nations England Wales, I was sat next to a pleasant Welsh man and despite being opposition we were buying each other drinks by end of the match to save each other queuing at the bar!

Established Member

Completely agree with you. I watched the game on TV, and I thought the joint singing of La Marseillaise was very moving.

Antman

Established Member
Completely agree with you. I watched the game on TV, and I thought the joint singing of La Marseillaise was very moving.

Me too, a fitting tribute and no better way to stick two fingers up to terrorists, quite a decent game as well.

Shame about the disgusting behaviour in Istanbul.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik Premier League

Nantwich Town 3....Hyde United 0

Too much over-confidence by a Hyde United defence who appear to have let their recent good run of league wins and a position of fourth in the league go to their heads and just as in their last match, the away 2-0 defeat at Grantham Town where they conceded two goals in the last 14 minutes, they decided that they could take their foot off the defensive pedal far too soon and conceded THREE goals in the last 11 minutes in this match.

Johnuk123

Established Member

[youtube]9IDLGJMr-DQ[/youtube]

Turks totally disrespect the minutes silence to Paris atrocity by chanting allahu -akbar no real shock as Turkey is deeply involved in a lot of the trouble we're currently getting.
I am surprised that the football authorities thought it would be a good idea to do this in an Islamic country that is no friend of Europe.

Last edited: