• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Turks totally disrespect the minutes silence to Paris atrocity by chanting allahu -akbar no real shock as Turkey is deeply involved in a lot of the trouble we're currently getting.
I am surprised that the football authorities thought it would be a good idea to do this in an Islamic country that is no friend of Europe.

Modern Turkey was (much like modern France) founded on ideals of pluralism and secularism. For the best part of a century these values were broadly upheld despite the vast majority of Turkish people being Muslim. (That's not to disparage Islam above any other religious group, just to recognise that it's easy for a religious majority to dominate in any society).
The worry is that in the last decade or so a government of extreme nationalism coupled with islamist fundamentalism have become popular. Erdogan has re-ignited the war with Kurdish separatists (the PKK) who are a key player in the fight against Da'ish along Turkey's Southern border. In my job I worked with a Kurdish man recently who described Erdogan as "the Ottoman Hitler". He was only half tongue-in-cheek.

Back on topic, after Wembley demonstrated the good that football, for all its faults, can still offer humanity it's a real shame that certain sections of fandom are still stuck in the 1970s.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
At Mackessack Park yesterday to see Deveronvale inflict a 7-0 thrashing to poor Rothes who remain entrenched at the foot of the Highland League with zero points, having scored 5 goals and let in 81 in their 14 fixtures so far this season.

One get's the impression Rothes have been imbibing a fair amount of the product from the Distillery adjacent to their ground.

Still £8 to get in, £1 for a Coffee and the same for a pie - excellent entertainment and value for a tenner :p

Rothes still are in the same invidious position in the Highland League a few weeks after you made this posting. Today, they are at home to high-flying Brora Rangers and at half-time the score is....

Rothes 0....Brora Rangers 7

familyguy99

Bradford, Peterborough, Scunthorpe and now Barnsley all came to Boundary Park this season with losing run or poor away record and won.

Oldham 1-2 Barnsley

Oldham were poor today and Barnsley didn't look like team that lost last 8 league matches in row, we only tested Barnsley goalie twice and both of Barnsley goals were down to poor defending.

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 0...Tiverton Town 0 (Roberts s/o 77)

Winchester City's run of wins came to an end on a cold day at the Denplan. Although the home side had more chances, they were unable to finish, and played the last ten or so minutes with ten men when Adam Roberts received a straight red card; a bad challenge resulted in the opposing players crowding the referee and demanding a red.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Turks totally disrespect the minutes silence to Paris atrocity by chanting allahu -akbar no real shock as Turkey is deeply involved in a lot of the trouble we're currently getting.
I am surprised that the football authorities thought it would be a good idea to do this in an Islamic country that is no friend of Europe.

And your evidence behind this outburst? Or indeed that Turkey is no friend of Europe?

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Rothes still are in the same invidious position in the Highland League a few weeks after you made this posting. Today, they are at home to high-flying Brora Rangers and at half-time the score is....

Rothes 0....Brora Rangers 7

Strange that ended up as the Final Score.....did Rothes turn out for the second half ? <D

I notice they have 1 Point now after 19 fixtures and a Goal Difference of - 92 :p

96tommy

Leyton Orient 3 York 2

Since moving to E1 from Yorkshire, it was nice to have a local game. In fact, it is the least amount of distance I have ever travelled to see York play!

The scoreline flatters York, look in a thesaurus for rubbish and we were every word listed, how we scored 2 is bewildering. Odd substitutions from the gaffer and playing youth instead of experience has really looked a bad choice so far.

richw

Veteran Member
Jurgen klopp now has more away wins against the so-called top 4 (Arsenal, man city, man Utd & Chelsea) in 6 weeks than Brendan Rodgers managed in 3 years.
Liverpool were a different class today, set up perfectly for an away game at a big team.
He also comes across with class, he shook hands with most of the man city players on the pitch at full time, I can't remember the last premier league manager to do that.
His relationship with his own team looks very affectionate- hugs with most of his players on the pitch after.
The same team that looked Mediocre under BR is looking good under JK

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Turkey is pretty much standing up for Isis. Only today it's in the news that turkey have threatened Russia over the Isis bombings,

Possibly because Turkey is part of NATO and Russian jets have been flying over a NATO country.

In other news Derby beat Cardiff 2 0 today. The Rams were pretty awful in the first half but much improved in the 2nd half and should have scored more. Delighted that Hull could only manage a draw against Bristol City however we're in for a tough time when we play The Tigers away next Friday evening.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Yep... You sure are - are you coming to Hull to watch the match?

Yes, mainly due to the fact that two of our children are at Nottingham Uni which breaks the journey home. I was impressed with your win against the 'Boro last week but by all accounts (from a Tigers fan) 'Boro were pretty poor. Tom Ince didn't have the best of games today!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik Premier League

Ilkeston FC 3....Hyde United 1

Hyde were made to pay for missing a good number of chances and their recent run of wins against lower teams has come to a sudden end with defeats in matches against the better teams in the league.

Ilkeston FC now move up to 6th place and Hyde slip down to 10th place.

fowler9

Established Member
Jurgen klopp now has more away wins against the so-called top 4 (Arsenal, man city, man Utd & Chelsea) in 6 weeks than Brendan Rodgers managed in 3 years.
Liverpool were a different class today, set up perfectly for an away game at a big team.
He also comes across with class, he shook hands with most of the man city players on the pitch at full time, I can't remember the last premier league manager to do that.
His relationship with his own team looks very affectionate- hugs with most of his players on the pitch after.

Good points. More importantly we spanked them and wiped Raheem Sterlings eye. Hope he enjoys the cash. He will be just another player at Man City. He could have been loved at Liverpool.

Antman

Established Member

Take nothing away from Liverpool and Jürgen Klopp but some of the City defending was abysmal, poor quality prem but the title race looks wide open

fowler9

Established Member
Take nothing away from Liverpool and Jürgen Klopp but some of the City defending was abysmal, poor quality prem but the title race looks wide open

I reckon we will win it! (Only kidding) :D Good result today for us reds.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I do hope some of this will eventually rub off on JK's bestie, David Wagner. Having held off an in-form and expensive Sheffield Wednesday side for the best part of an hour, once we took the lead it snapped them into action and we were over-run in the last ten minutes. Herr Wagner certainly has his work cut out...

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Knowing that the next series of Champions League matches are to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, I did wonder how the remaining English Premiership clubs involved would fare in the English Premiership matches that were played at the weekend.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Monday night Premiership match

Crystal Palace 0...Sunderland 1

The famous phrase oft-said by Victor Meldrew appears to be just the phrase to be used here. I suppose "Big Sam" has installed something missing.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Big Fat Sam doesn't get relegated. I think Sunderland might actually have appointed a manager suitable for them!

Both Sam and Tony are guaranteed to keep you up, but play boring football.

I guess for fans boring football is better than relegation

SS4

Established Member
Knowing that the next series of Champions League matches are to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, I did wonder how the remaining English Premiership clubs involved would fare in the English Premiership matches that were played at the weekend.

Let's hope their cases of Champions-League-itis have cleared <D

Johnuk123

Established Member
Both Sam and Tony are guaranteed to keep you up, but play boring football.

I guess for fans boring football is better than relegation

I can assure you there are plenty of teams who've gone down who also play boring football.