• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I would say it's not "kids" - it's all those who support PL teams. Those invested in the lower leagues have an interest, both football and financial. Those who primarily follow PL teams won't even see it on their radar until they are drawn against a minnow on a rampaging cup run.

Don't be too dismissive of all PL fans - I do have a Season Ticket for Citeh, a team I have followed since moving here over 30 years ago, which takes me out of the "kid" bracket. This weekend I'll be taking a trip out to see my hometown team get beaten at Coventry, so it is possible to appreciate both ends of the spectrum.

City are a good club with proper fans - the problem is, like with their neighbours, once they get success those proper fans can be driven out and people form all over the country start following the team because they are doing well .It was the same with Liverpool in the 80's and United in the late 90's/early 2000's

Maybe so, but the twisted history brigade try and claim that City didn't have any Support (or success) before 2008. Something, I'm sure the Treasurers of the other 23 clubs in the 3rd Tier back in 1998/9 will quickly correct them on, as will a closer look at REAL statistics (eg. Attendances before WW2, not least 1927/8) and significantly more trophies than Chelsea had before Ken Bates' cheque book arrived. Indeed, history will probably show that City made one big mistake in their history, and that was not promoting their pre-WW2 captain to manager before he was poached by the neighbours. I am of course, talking about Matt Busby.

I agree entirely. City had success in the past, fell away, came back, then were bought by mega rich owners at just the right time. In honesty I don't really begrudge them success. Many of the fans have done the hard yards and been kicked about like the rest of us.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
I know who was in the Premier League when it broke away and why it happend. The point is that the yoof today will follow the clubs who win the PL. That includes Citeh. Many of the posters on this board are young so supporting Citeh is seen as natural.

it might be for kids brought up in the PL hype bubble. The rest of us don't really agree. The FA cup is a lifeline for smaller clubs, not just at round 3 but at the very early rounds. The prize money per round at that stage, while peanuts for PLK clubs, is a really big boost to finances. That would be the rounds the PL clubs don't know exist and their fans snigger at.

I go back long before the premier league era and it annoys me people who talk as though the game was invented in 1992. That said the game has moved on and the FA Cup has been rather left behind, I do realise that the early rounds are important for non league clubs though.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The new non-league structure will see 22-club divisions at Steps 2 (NLN,NLS) and 3 (NPL-P, IL-P and the two SL-Ps). While this might sound a good idea in principle, there will be FOUR teams relegated from each of these leagues. I think this is excessive. You can finish 4th bottom from a 22-club league with almost a 50% record (i.e. almost as many wins as losses). Given the difficulty of getting promotion back with only one automatic place available in the divisions below, this is a very unbalanced system which will punish clubs for years for just one below-average season.

In my humble opinion, if you are going to have four down, then the leagues should consist of 24 clubs not 22.

On the same topic, the introduction of an extra "Southern" feeder league to NLN and NLS is going to lead to many more southern teams in NLN. We have already had the likes of Lowestoft, Histon, Bishops Stortford, Gloucester and Oxford City in NLN. With the recent resurgence of teams from the north-east like Blyth and Spennymoor, NLN clubs are going to face some huge travelling distances in future years.l

WelshBluebird

Established Member
This certainly does seem a strange one, surely the club can't take the decision to call a game off? It has to be the referee or the police doesn't it?

I am not 100% sure, but in this case it certainly does look like the club were the ones who called it off. The local police have said it was not their decision, and other bodies have either said they were involved with discussions with DCFC or supported DCFC's decision.

Glad it happened to Colin W*nker though. Hope his face was purple.

I do love that the same people who hate Warnock so much are the exact people who usually love him when he is at their club!

Antman

Established Member
I am not 100% sure, but in this case it certainly does look like the club were the ones who called it off. The local police have said it was not their decision, and other bodies have either said they were involved with discussions with DCFC or supported DCFC's decision.

I do love that the same people who hate Warnock so much are the exact people who usually love him when he is at their club!

He is something of a marmite character.

Anyway the Football League are looking into the postponement, if Derby have got the game called off because of injuries and suspensions I hope the proverbial book is thrown at them.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik 1st Division North

Bamber Bridge 3...South Shields 2

With Hyde United not having a mid-week fixture this week and South Shields having three games in hand of Hyde, I was interested to see how this top-four match would turn out. South Shields took a 24th minute lead, but Bamber Bridge scored twice in two minutes ten minutes later and led 2-1 at half time. South Shields then scored a penalty in the 52nd minute, but with eight minutes to play, Bamber Bridge scored the match winning goal.

Top two league positions now as follows:-
Hyde United.......P32...W21 D8 L3...Goal difference +49...Pts 71
South Shields.....P30...W21 D6 L3...Goal difference +42...Pts 69

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Ryan Giggs Wales manager then. Not convinced sadly. How on earth can we expect Welsh players to give their all for a manager who couldn't be bothered to turn up to games when he was a player?

China Cup semi final

China PR 0...Wales 6

A hat-trick from Gareth Bale in this match. Noting what you say about players not "giving their all" above, just think what the final score in this cup match might have been if they had really "gave their all" for their new manager.....o_O

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Have you ever been to an FA Cup final? I can assure you it most definitely isn't "just another game"

For the teams concerned, yes. It was more of a national event - that feeling has passed.

Same applies to the League Cup, though to a lesser extent. That was important, I doubt it hit many radars outside of Blue Manchester and Highbury this year. More people watched the TV outside of the UK than in. (And yes, I was lucky enough to be in the stadium).

Butts

Veteran Member
For the teams concerned, yes. It was more of a national event - that feeling has passed.

I agree with this comment. Half the days schedules on BBC and ITV used to be dedicated to the FA Cup Final when they both showed it live.

I only watch it if there is a team I am interested in. At one time it was a "must see" for most Football Fans regardless of who was playing.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Have you ever been to an FA Cup final? I can assure you it most definitely isn't "just another game"

That’s how most people view the final.

It’s a weak competition and most of the winners these days don’t care about it. The Final also isn’t a big day any more; at least not in the way it used to be.

I couldn’t care less if my team, Liverpool won the FA Cup. It says nothing in the modern era.

I accept that the Cup is a lifeline for lower league teams but once the big boys join a bit further down the line it’s a big meh.

Established Member
A 1-0 win for England in tonight's friendly against the Netherlands, with Jesse Lingard scoring the game's only goal.

Minilad

Established Member
That’s how most people view the final.

It’s a weak competition and most of the winners these days don’t care about it. The Final also isn’t a big day any more; at least not in the way it used to be.

I couldn’t care less if my team, Liverpool won the FA Cup. It says nothing in the modern era.

I accept that the Cup is a lifeline for lower league teams but once the big boys join a bit further down the line it’s a big meh.

I think that says more about the attitude of the "BIG CLUBS" and their arrogant support rather than anything else.
The sooner they all toddle off to join the Sky Super Magnificent Wonderful Best Ever European League (TM) the better

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think that says more about the attitude of the "BIG CLUBS" and their arrogant support rather than anything else.
The sooner they all toddle off to join the Sky Super Magnificent Wonderful Best Ever European League (TM) the better

I don’t really see what’s arrogant about it. It’s gone the way of the League Cup.

It doesn’t get a huge build up, it’s not considered a big national event any more (it used to be “Cup Final Day”), and it isn’t the compulsory viewing it once was. I can’t remember the last time I watched the FA Cup Final.

It’s not arrogant to simply point out the competition isn’t what it was.

Minilad

Established Member
I don’t really see what’s arrogant about it. It’s gone the way of the League Cup.

It doesn’t get a huge build up, it’s not considered a big national event any more (it used to be “Cup Final Day”), and it isn’t the compulsory viewing it once was. I can’t remember the last time I watched the FA Cup Final.

It’s not arrogant to simply point out the competition isn’t what it was.

The arrogance comes with the comment "I couldn't care less if my team won the FA Cup"
I was at the Arsenal Villa final. Villa fans couldn't believe the Arsenal fans after the game streaming out of the stadium even before the final whistle had been blown. They couldn't even be bothered to watch their team lift the trophy. That is arrogance.
We would have been celebrating a win in that game long and hard. Because it would mean something to us. It would mean something to any football fan that doesn't follow one of the "big teams" And as a fan of one of those teams you just can't know how that makes fans of other clubs feel towards them.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The arrogance comes with the comment "I couldn't care less if my team won the FA Cup"
I was at the Arsenal Villa final. Villa fans couldn't believe the Arsenal fans after the game streaming out of the stadium even before the final whistle had been blown. They couldn't even be bothered to watch their team lift the trophy. That is arrogance.
We would have been celebrating a win in that game long and hard. Because it would mean something to us. It would mean something to any football fan that doesn't follow one of the "big teams" And as a fan of one of those teams you just can't know how that makes fans of other clubs feel towards them.

Well, leaving before the end of any football game is verboten as far as I’m concerned. Not surprised Arsenal fans did that.

Unfortunately the FA Cup means very little to big teams any more. Many big teams field weakened sides, the bigger teams don’t need or want the Europa League place, the prize money is inconsequential and basically nobody at work will care if you won the cup or not.

That doesn’t detract from the fact it’s valued by smaller teams, but even a lot of lower league teams don’t give a stuff about the competition either. If you win the FA Cup these days it doesn’t actually say anything about your team.

Minilad

Established Member
Well, leaving before the end of any football game is verboten as far as I’m concerned. Not surprised Arsenal fans did that.

Unfortunately the FA Cup means very little to big teams any more. Many big teams field weakened sides, the bigger teams don’t need or want the Europa League place, the prize money is inconsequential and basically nobody at work will care if you won the cup or not.

That doesn’t detract from the fact it’s valued by smaller teams, but even a lot of lower league teams don’t give a stuff about the competition either. If you win the FA Cup these days it doesn’t actually say anything about your team.

And that's the point I am trying to make. This devaluing of the FA Cup is driven by the big clubs. The tail wagging the dog. The whole of football these days is based on what the big boys want. A winter break will be next. Just so the big clubs who play more games get what they want. Even though they will swan off to Dubai or the Far East to play in a lucrative friendly.

The PL and it's money is bringing down football bit by bit. The big boys and their fans don't care. They see their clubs spending 30 million on a right back and think its great. It isn't.
FFP is designed to keep the big boys at the top and the small boys down in their place. And if you break FFP what happens...you get a fine! An absolute joke.

The national team suffers because the young players coming through are stacked up in U23 teams or out on loan. Get a decent player playing for you and sooner or later they are snapped up and left to rot on the bench of one of the big boys.

Win the FA Cup...so what. It means nothing. That says it all. You don't even need to win the league these days. It's OK just finish 4th and you're on the gravy train.

The sooner it all goes pop the better. I actually don't want Villa to go up this year, not that we will, I am loving life down here. Financially we are probably screwed but it's way more fun.

Money makes the football world go round. And as long as they can rake in the millions to have a diesel engine partner no one cares.

I love singing "have you won the European Cup" to Arsenal and Citeh fans. I remember having a discussion with an Arsenal fan at New St once and he was banging on about qualifying for the last 16 for god knows how many years on the trot and couldn't understand why I thought winning it once beat that. As far as he was concerned qualifying meant more than winning it purely on a financial basis. And that sums it up for me.

Sorry about the rant!!

roversfan2001

Established Member
As a (for now) League One team, most of our fans didn't give a stuff about the cup this year; we stood no chance of winning it and we aren't quite in the position where progression has serious positive financial implications, so it was just a distraction from our main aim of winning promotion.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As a (for now) League One team, most of our fans didn't give a stuff about the cup this year; we stood no chance of winning it and we aren't quite in the position where progression has serious positive financial implications, so it was just a distraction from our main aim of winning promotion.
The value of the cup has certainly fallen for those clubs like Blackburn (and Huddersfield, despite being two divisions apart for now.) Too small to win it, but big enough that the odd plum draw against one of the big boys isn't such a big deal. In previous years the hope was to get through a few rounds and either pull off a giant-killing on the way, or give a good account of ourselves against one of the real giants. This season the cup was mostly a distraction, and the eventual win over Birmingham City didn't prompt the run of form we hoped it would.

Two more wins needed, hopefully we'll manage to get them somehow (despite being unable to score "in a tower block" as the old chant used to go).

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
And that's the point I am trying to make. This devaluing of the FA Cup is driven by the big clubs. The tail wagging the dog. The whole of football these days is based on what the big boys want. A winter break will be next. Just so the big clubs who play more games get what they want. Even though they will swan off to Dubai or the Far East to play in a lucrative friendly.

Well said. The media circus following "football" is centred on these same clubs and I'd certainly forgive someone who knew nothing about football to think that no more than 20 clubs play the game professionally and I would be sympathetic if this hypothetical person only thought there were half a dozen.

The devaluation of the cup is shown by just how many teams put out a second string by a lot of clubs - especially in the top two tiers. Getting through is nice but not essential - at least until there is a reasonable chance of winning it.

But what to do? Excluding the PL (or just a section of it) would devalue it further IMO and it'd end up like the Johnstone's Paint Trophy or whatever it's official name is.

The PL and it's money is bringing down football bit by bit. The big boys and their fans don't care. They see their clubs spending 30 million on a right back and think its great. It isn't.
FFP is designed to keep the big boys at the top and the small boys down in their place. And if you break FFP what happens...you get a fine! An absolute joke.

FFP fines are only when you're already one of the big clubs. They'll come down on smaller clubs like a ton of bricks. Just like in the wider world a lot of rules are introduced for the sole benefit of those with the most money and forget everyone else.

The national team suffers because the young players coming through are stacked up in U23 teams or out on loan. Get a decent player playing for you and sooner or later they are snapped up and left to rot on the bench of one of the big boys.

Definitely although I also put England's failings down to selection of players based only on reputation, said players preferring club football (everyone remembers the conveniently timed injuries players had before England games but miraculously cleared up before the next league game) and a generally different play style from mainland Europe.

Win the FA Cup...so what. It means nothing. That says it all. You don't even need to win the league these days. It's OK just finish 4th and you're on the gravy train.

And, thanks to FFP, once you're there you're pretty much guaranteed to stay there.

The sooner it all goes pop the better. I actually don't want Villa to go up this year, not that we will, I am loving life down here. Financially we are probably screwed but it's way more fun.

I don't think we'll go up either but it's certainly possible via the playoff lottery. There is definitely something satisfying about not having your arse kicked every week and pundits acting like you're there to make up the numbers. This is also the reason I don't watch Villa on TV - the commentators/pundits are PL/London types who've no idea how the game is seen outside their own bubble. Local radio is better (I bought myself an FM radio to get the Villa and BBC WM love Small Heath on DAB) but I'm on my own rant here.

Money makes the football world go round. And as long as they can rake in the millions to have a diesel engine partner no one cares.

I lay part of the blame with the companies here - the market would soon collapse if they all agreed to not go in for these ludicrous sponsorships although definitely the clubs are also to blame. The larger issue here is that it's the consumer (what may have previously been called a fan) who suffers from these stupid deals especially when it comes to TV rights - there are next to no games on free to air TV and you have to pay a subscription and watch a gigantic amount of adverts just to watch a game where commentators don't know what they're on about half the time.

They've also affected going to the game with inflated prices, short notice changes and said games are scheduled for TV - so there may not even be transport back home after the game!

I love singing "have you won the European Cup" to Arsenal and Citeh fans. I remember having a discussion with an Arsenal fan at New St once and he was banging on about qualifying for the last 16 for god knows how many years on the trot and couldn't understand why I thought winning it once beat that. As far as he was concerned qualifying meant more than winning it purely on a financial basis. And that sums it up for me.

Sorry about the rant!!

Half of them probably don't know what the European Cup is. I wasn't born when Villa won the European Cup so it was winning the then coca cola cup in 94 and 96 that I remember.

roversfan2001

Established Member
The value of the cup has certainly fallen for those clubs like Blackburn (and Huddersfield, despite being two divisions apart for now. Too small to win it, but big enough that the odd plum draw against one of the big boys isn't such a big deal.

Even then, we got United at home last year and only had 16,000 home fans, and that includes a lot of United fans in home areas. It was only 6 years ago we played the big teams week in week out. I suspect you getting United at home this year wasn't the big draw it might have been 6 years ago (I believe you came up the same year we went down in 2011/12?). Progressing in the cup at this level leads to severe fixture congestion too, just look at Wigan.

Butts

Veteran Member

Sorry about the rant!!

What do you sing when playing Nottingham Forest ?

As they can top your single European Cup do you have to refer to the number of FA Cups you have won :E

To be fair you can top them on League Titles as well.