• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As it is a Saturday, its about time for a "Willie" update. Still no wins but a 3-3 draw at home to Clachnaccudin on Wednesday. So Played 17 Wins 0 Draw 2 Scored 13 Conceded 118 Points -7. Today at 2nd place Fraserburgh.
Unlucky for some, FW lost 13-0!

Huddersfield Town 1 - 1 West Ham United
Another excellent performance spoiled only by a combination of profligacy and poor fortune in the final third. It's frustrating that we're generally playing better than last season but are in a far worse position. Doesn't help that our summer signings have yet to prove themselves, it's our longer-serving players putting in the performances.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Avenue top of the league, City bottom - it doesn’t get much better than this! Nobody expects it to last - too many richer full time clubs on our tail with games in hand. Just enjoying the moment, they don’t come around all that often.

Gemz91

Avenue top of the league, City bottom - it doesn’t get much better than this! Nobody expects it to last - too many richer full time clubs on our tail with games in hand. Just enjoying the moment, they don’t come around all that often.

Severn Conference North clubs are full time apparently and apparently Bradford's playing budget is quite small. I was told it but forgotten it. Great to be top of the league though!

If I think you're the person who I think you are think I saw you at York last week, was going to say hi but decided I'd keep my internet anonymity.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In the first round proper of the FA Cup, there was (unless I've missed one) only one example of a non-league side defeating a league club. Funnily enough the game in question (Yeovil Town versus Stockport County) would have been a giant-killing the other way round less than 20 years ago!

Cletus

Established Member
Dover Athletic dominated Bury for the 1st five minutes, then they took over, winning 5-0.

No FA cup glory this season.

Established Member
Liverpool 2-0 Fulham.

Liverpool maintain their unbeaten start to the season after Mohamed Salah and Xherdan Shaqiri scored in each half, although we probably should have scored more considering how many chances we had.

Salah scored a matter of seconds after Fulham had a goal disallowed for offside.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Oldham are not playing Haringey Borough in FA Cup, AFC Wimbledon are.

Oldham are playing Hampton & Redbridge.

After what seemed yet another cup upset, with Oldham losing 1-0 with only a matter of minutes to go, they scored two late goals to win 2-1. I see Oldham had no less that 24 shots at goal during the game, but the Hampton & Redbridge goalkeeper played well.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
In the first round proper of the FA Cup, there was (unless I've missed one) only one example of a non-league side defeating a league club. Funnily enough the game in question (Yeovil Town versus Stockport County) would have been a giant-killing the other way round less than 20 years ago!

You can add Guiseley and Maidstone United to the list. As ever, we are dead jealous of our West Yorkshire rivals getting easier cup draws than us and covering themselves in glory, but at least they humiliated one of the teams we most dislike - Cambridge United.

I was listening to the Radio 5 phone in on Sunday night and this was hosted by some cretin who went on and on about whether it should be pronounced Guys-ley or Ghee-zley and sulking on and on because he couldn't name 64 players who had scored in the Manchester derby since 1992 without making a mistake. He didn't seem interested in the match. In the olden days, when Danny Baker used to do the phone ins, they were about important things like the fuzz frog-marching supporters from stations to grounds in the pouring rain or matches being postponed because the grass was too long. Now all we get is whingeing supporters of the so-called big six talking to infantile presenters.

Darandio

Established Member
Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has requested that every Premier League club contribute £250,000 in order to give Richard Scudamore a £5m farewell gift. Scudamore reportedly earns £2.5m a year in his position and is a multi-millionaire, these lot are so detached from reality.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46197761

All 20 Premier League clubs have been asked for a £250,000 contribution so that the league's outgoing executive chairman Richard Scudamore can be given a £5m farewell gift.

The clubs were asked for the money before a meeting on Tuesday.

It is expected they will agree to Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck's request.

Scudamore, 59, who is reportedly paid £2.5m per season, is stepping down next month after 19 years at the organisation.

The league's UK television rights were valued at around £670m when he joined, and the last deal was worth £5.14bn.

Buck, who has developed a close friendship with Scudamore since becoming Chelsea chairman in 2003, received backing from top-flight clubs during a meeting at Premier League headquarters in London.

Should every club contribute, the outgoing boss will receive an additional £5m windfall as a token of appreciation for his successful tenure.

"We expect to make an appropriate appointment in good time so there can be a seamless transition," Buck said after Scudamore's departure was announced in June.

The Chelsea chairman has been leading the search for Scudamore's successor along with Leicester City chief executive Susan Whelan and Burnley chairman Mike Garlick.

Scudamore joined the Premier League in November 1999 as chief executive before moving to his current role in June 2014.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has requested that every Premier League club contribute £250,000 in order to give Richard Scudamore a £5m farewell gift. Scudamore reportedly earns £2.5m a year in his position and is a multi-millionaire, these lot are so detached from reality.

Talk about a parallel universe.

greyman42

Established Member

Is Buck trying to alienate the supporters of his and every other Premier League club? I have nothing against Scudamore and think he has done a great job but he hardly needs a £5m gift. I wonder what Buck was planning on buying him that costs £5m? I support Newcastle and seriously hope that Ashley does not waste any of our clubs money on this considering his track record regarding investment. If Buck wants to give him £5m then he can do it out of his own pocket and not out of the pocket of other supporters.

familyguy99

After what seemed yet another cup upset, with Oldham losing 1-0 with only a matter of minutes to go, they scored two late goals to win 2-1. I see Oldham had no less that 24 shots at goal during the game, but the Hampton & Redbridge goalkeeper played well.

I thought Hampton didn't played too badly yesterday and other day they probably pull off shock but I'm happy that Latics somehow scored them two late goals given they should really scored in first half.

Oldham draw away to Maidstone in R2 and that is going be tough game specially that they already beaten LG2 team (Macclesfield) in FA Cup and I see they play on artificial 3G pitch which made it harder. I wonder if this game be choice of TV games knowing Wrexham v Newport and Guiseley v Fleetwood will be nailed on to be picked.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

Why can't they give him a clock like everyone else?

(Mind you, if they did, it would probably be Big Ben!)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I was listening to the Radio 5 phone in on Sunday night and this was hosted by some cretin who went on and on about whether it should be pronounced Guys-ley or Ghee-zley and sulking on and on because he couldn't name 64 players who had scored in the Manchester derby since 1992 without making a mistake. He didn't seem interested in the match. In the olden days, when Danny Baker used to do the phone ins, they were about important things like the fuzz frog-marching supporters from stations to grounds in the pouring rain or matches being postponed because the grass was too long. Now all we get is whingeing supporters of the so-called big six talking to infantile presenters.

Alistair Bruce-Ball, aided by the utterly contemptible Chris Sutton. I too was listening on Sunday night, the whole Guiseley thing started apparently after one of the production crew mispronounced it earlier in the day. Funny once or twice but painful when it turned into a running joke, like the Benjamin Mendy pronunciation elsewhere in the show.

I don't mind AB-B, but I do prefer Jason Mohammed, and literally every other person alive to Chris Sutton. It does have its moments, mind - there was a superb couple of callers the other week, one on at what point Guardiola will tire of the City empire, and another on the hierarchy of Southampton, and why they are to blame for their fall from high places. It really does depend on who gets picked from the crowd.

SS4

Established Member

I didn't know what else to expect but the article was all about money and nothing about how the fans, teams or players will be affected. Those increases in TV revenue are at the cost of fans who've been at the mercy of monopolistic practices - first priced out of going to games and then priced out of watching their club on TV and then treated like criminals when they turn to questionable streams because Sky have arbitrarily decided that the game won't be shown.

I've been disillusioned with the premier league for a while now (and yes, including before Villa were relegated before any asks) as it's a rich boys club where whomever has the most money wins and UEFA have ensured that nobody else can get into their cosy little clique barring a miracle.

If anyone disagrees feel free to predict who'll win the 2019/20 or 2020/21 season - it'll be the same old names that show up...

------------------

edit: meanwhile Gareth Barry, aged 37, played for WBA's under 21s tonight?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46201855

Former England midfielder Gareth Barry played for West Brom's Under-21s at the age of 37 in the Checkatrade Trophy but failed to save them from elimination.

JamesT

Established Member

Some of these competitions that are nominally for a particular age range will allow a small number of overage players. For example the current version of the Premier League reserves competition is for under 23s, but with up to four overage players.
Allows for a bit of experience to help the youngsters, or give game time to those who’ve fallen out of favour in the first team or coming back from injury.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I didn't know what else to expect but the article was all about money and nothing about how the fans, teams or players will be affected. Those increases in TV revenue are at the cost of fans who've been at the mercy of monopolistic practices - first priced out of going to games and then priced out of watching their club on TV and then treated like criminals when they turn to questionable streams because Sky have arbitrarily decided that the game won't be shown.

I've been disillusioned with the premier league for a while now (and yes, including before Villa were relegated before any asks) as it's a rich boys club where whomever has the most money wins and UEFA have ensured that nobody else can get into their cosy little clique barring a miracle.

Unlucky - you all sold your souls to sky years ago. They don't care about fans. You are just part of their marketing to sell the PL to foreign emerging markets. As i always point out there is superb live football coverage on Radio 5.

The rules of current incarnation of the Autoglass/LDV Vans/Freight Rover Trophy allow it

aided by the utterly contemptible Chris Sutton

International grumpy man of the year Chris Sutton is fantastic! He takes no bull off idiotic plastic fans and pulls no punches. Personally i don't listen to 606 as it is simply a home for whining plastic Manure or other top club fans who never go to games to whine about how hard their lot is. They are clueless about real football.

Of course it is hideous, however an alternative view is that Scudamore and his team have time and again obtained massive TV payments for the premier league clubs. They might like to thank him for making them all rich beyond the dreams of avarice.

Darandio

Established Member
Jokanovic out at Fulham and replaced with Ranieri, didn't see that coming.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46205801

Fulham have sacked manager Slavisa Jokanovic and replaced him with Claudio Ranieri, who guided Leicester to the Premier League title in 2016.

Jokanovic makes way with the Cottagers sitting bottom of the Premier League table with five points from 12 matches.

Italian Ranieri, 67, has been given a "multi-year" contract by the Londoners.

"Making a change without having the right answer or succession plan was not an option," said Fulham chairman Shahid Khan.

"So having someone of Claudio's calibre ready to accept our challenge was comforting but, most of all, essential.

"Claudio is risk-free and ready-made for the Premier League, and particularly so for what we need at this moment at Fulham.

"His recent body of work with Leicester City is literally legendary, and then you look at Claudio's experience with Chelsea and big clubs throughout Europe, and it's pretty evident we are welcoming an extraordinary football man to Fulham Football Club."

Khan said he and his son Tony Khan, the club's vice chairman and director of football operations, spoke with a number of potential candidates over the past week.

"It is an honour to accept Mr Khan's invitation and opportunity to lead Fulham, a fantastic club with tradition and history," said Ranieri, who spent last season in charge of French club Nantes.

"The objective at Fulham should never be to merely survive in the Premier League. We must at all times be a difficult opponent and should expect to succeed.

"This Fulham squad has exceptional talent that is contrary to its position in the table."

Ranieri's first game in charge will see Fulham host Southampton at Craven Cottage on Saturday, 24 November.

"I know this team is very capable of better performances, which we will work on straight away as we prepare for Southampton at the Cottage," he added.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Darandio

Established Member
Is Buck trying to alienate the supporters of his and every other Premier League club? I have nothing against Scudamore and think he has done a great job but he hardly needs a £5m gift. I wonder what Buck was planning on buying him that costs £5m? I support Newcastle and seriously hope that Ashley does not waste any of our clubs money on this considering his track record regarding investment. If Buck wants to give him £5m then he can do it out of his own pocket and not out of the pocket of other supporters.

Looks like Ashley has contributed, the Premier League have confirmed it's going ahead. They had a real opportunity to show another side here following the uproar from fans but they have blown it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46221020

Outgoing executive chairman Richard Scudamore will receive a £5m farewell bonus paid by clubs, the Premier League has confirmed.

Scudamore will receive the payment over a three-year period "in recognition of his outstanding work".

He will remain with the Premier League in an advisory capacity.

It comes after football fans urged clubs not to "stick their hands down the back of the sofa" and contribute to Scudamore's departing gift.

Scudamore - who reportedly earns £2.5m per season - is stepping down in December after 19 years at the organisation.

The Premier League's UK television rights were valued at about £670m when Scudamore joined the organisation in 1999, while the most recent deal was worth £5.14bn.

All 20 Premier League clubs were asked by Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck for a £250,000 contribution - something which fans "strongly opposed".

"Premier League clubs have always told fan groups that budgets are planned in advance and there's not a surplus of cash lying around from their extremely lucrative TV deal," said the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF).

"In the meantime, loyal football supporters continue to be inconvenienced by fixture changes to fit TV schedules, often losing out on travel costs or struggling to get to and from games in the first place.

"Now it appears clubs can stick their hands down the back of the sofa and find £250,000 at a moment's notice."

On Tuesday, the Premier League announced that Susanna Dinnage will be its new chief executive.

SS4

Established Member
Unlucky - you all sold your souls to sky years ago. They don't care about fans. You are just part of their marketing to sell the PL to foreign emerging markets. As i always point out there is superb live football coverage on Radio 5.

How right you are. It's as the rather sarcastic saying goes Sky invented football in 1992 as few media outlets or even people in general comment on any other kind of English football.

Radio 5 is largely good (it's not hard to be better than ads-in-the-middle-of-commentary talksport) but there are a few pundits who I don't like. I prefer BBC WM's commentary but if I'm out of the county radio 5 is my go to. Except for England when they just get annoying (England games are TV but muted). I definitely prefer listening to football on the radio that watching it on TV though - radio commentators need to put in some effort to describe play.

Personally i don't listen to 606 as it is simply a home for whining plastic Manure or other top club fans who never go to games to whine about how hard their lot is. They are clueless about real football

You're wise

Of course it is hideous, however an alternative view is that Scudamore and his team have time and again obtained massive TV payments for the premier league clubs. They might like to thank him for making them all rich beyond the dreams of avarice.

It makes perfect sense once you realise that the clubs no longer care about their fans as much as TV and wealth in general. I could go on about the poor distribution of wealth in football but I fear I'll end up well off topic as it's hardly a problem limited only to football!

familyguy99

Oldham 3-1 Cambridge

For Second time in five days Oldham came from behind to win the match. Sound like both teams scored some wonderful goals and Oldham score came from on loan Aston Villa player Lyden from halfway line.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik League...Premier Division

Hyde United 2 ... Hednesford Town 0

A good middle-of-the-table clash between these two sides which looked like being a 0-0 stalemate until Hyde scored in the 84th and the 89th minute to register a home win that lifts them up to 12th position.

It is good to see Hyde having a season in which after recent relegations and promotions, a mid-table position at this standard is now seen to be consolidating matters.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
European Nations League

Albania 0 4 Scotland

Do not adjust your monitors, screens, or TV sets. Normally, this would be one of those games where on paper, Scotland should easily beat this type of opposition, but would huff and puff their way to a 1-0 win or similar.

Although this match was not really pleasing on the eye stuff to watch (bearing in mind Alex McLeish has returned for a second spell in charge), it did have the "F" factor, where Ryan Fraser (14), Stephen Fletcher (45, pen), and James Forrest (55, 67) scored for Scotland. It is noted that Albania had Mergim Mavraj red carded in the 21st minute.

Scotland's next and final group game takes place on Tuesday, where they host a side (Israel) that should not even be allowed to participate, due to being in North West Asia, has played matches in occupied territories, and violates international law. I remember during the 1980s when a lot of nations refused to play against South Africa during the Apartheid period, and performing artists and musicians refused to play at Sun City too. Perhaps if something similar was done by refusing to play against Israel, then the Israeli government could no longer ignore what has been enshrined in international law and comply with United Nations resolutions to withdraw from occupied territories and to stick to the 1967 borders that were agreed.

youngiecj

Boston 1 Southport 2. 6th home defeat of the season. So much optimism at the beginning of the season has now evaporated. Shame as it’s a poor league this year.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Boston 1 Southport 2. 6th home defeat of the season. So much optimism at the beginning of the season has now evaporated. Shame as it’s a poor league this year.

Regarding Boston United, did they manage to successfully put behind them and move on from the undesirable shenhanigans of the early Noughties when the then chair/owner and the manager Steve Evans colluded together over transfer irregularities? Supporters of Carlisle United know all too well about that, as they got relegated from the basement division when Boston United went into administration after they were mathematically safe.

I remember Evans received a subsequent conviction for tax fraud. How he is still involved in football management I do not know.