• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

youngiecj

Regarding Boston United, did they manage to successfully put behind them and move on from the undesirable shenhanigans of the early Noughties when the then chair/owner and the manager Steve Evans colluded together over transfer irregularities? Supporters of Carlisle United know all too well about that, as they got relegated from the basement division when Boston United went into administration after they were mathematically safe.

I remember Evans received a subsequent conviction for tax fraud. How he is still involved in football management I do not know.

Over a decade ago now. I think it will be difficult to forget the history. Evans and his perpetrators destroyed the clubs finances and reputation. I like to think that reputation has been restored slowly. We are managing to pay off our debts and hopefully moving into a new ground at some point. Also we have award winning community work which is slowly restoring faith in the local area.. Never enjoyed my trip uptown to Carlisle we always seemed to get battered up there!

The_Train

Established Member
Liverpool forward Sadio Mané has agreed a long term new deal with the club.

Great move by the club. I really think Liverpool are edging towards another good period. Maybe Klopp vs Guardiola will become the new Ferguson vs Wenger

Established Member
Great move by the club. I really think Liverpool are edging towards another good period. Maybe Klopp vs Guardiola will become the new Ferguson vs Wenger

Definitely, I haven't been this optimistic about Liverpool for quite a while.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Cambrian & Clydach Vale Boys & Girls Club 2 The New Saints 1 (AET)

A major shock in Tonypandy in the Welsh Cup semi-final!

And Connah's Quay Nomads have reached the semi-finals of the Scottish Challenge Cup where they will have a home match against Edinburgh City. The winners will play Ross County, East Fife or Bohemians of Dublin in the final.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Cambrian & Clydach Vale Boys & Girls Club 2 The New Saints 1 (AET)

A major shock in Tonypandy in the Welsh Cup semi-final!

And Connah's Quay Nomads have reached the semi-finals of the Scottish Challenge Cup where they will have a home match against Edinburgh City. The winners will play Ross County, East Fife or Bohemians of Dublin in the final.

Forgive me if this sounds silly, but how on earth have Connah's Quay and Bohemians managed to play in the Scottish Cup? Last time I looked at a map, I am absolutely certain that Connah's Quay is in Wales and Dublin is in Ireland.

EDIT: There again, Derry City play in the Irish League, and the 1946-2008 incarnation of Gretna played in the Evostick Division before joining the Scottish FA in 2002.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
According to Wikipedia: The Scottish Challenge Cup was established by the SPFL's predecessor, the Scottish Football League (SFL) and was originally contested by the 28 or 30 SFL/SPFL teams below the top level in the Scottish football league system. For the 2018–19 edition there were 58 teams: 30 from the SPFL; the twelve under-20 teams of the Scottish Premiership clubs; four each from the Highland League and Lowland League; and two guest teams from each of the NIFL Premiership, Welsh Premier League, English National League, and League of Ireland Premier Division.

Boreham Wood and Sutton United were the two English teams.

A more comprehensive list of teams playing in other countires may be found at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...lubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country

Established Member
Watford 0-3 Liverpool.

I thought was a game of two halves for us today, with a poor first half and excellent second half.

Mohamed Salah, Trent Alexander-Arnold (from a free kick) and Roberto Firmino were Liverpool's goalscorers today, with captain Jordan Henderson sent off after receiving two yellow cards. As a result, he will miss our game against Everton next Sunday.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlo 0 v Telford 2. FA Trophy 17th qualifying round. Days since Darlo last won a cup tie: 453239

A gutless and useless performance from an absolute shower. The manager has to go.

adrock1976

Established Member
Darlo 0 v Telford 2. FA Trophy 17th qualifying round. Days since Darlo last won a cup tie: 453239

A gutless and useless performance from an absolute shower. The manager has to go.

Look on the bright side - it gives a chance to concentrate on the league and to get as many points on the board as possible until the end of the season.

adrock1976

Established Member
According to Wikipedia: The Scottish Challenge Cup was established by the SPFL's predecessor, the Scottish Football League (SFL) and was originally contested by the 28 or 30 SFL/SPFL teams below the top level in the Scottish football league system. For the 2018–19 edition there were 58 teams: 30 from the SPFL; the twelve under-20 teams of the Scottish Premiership clubs; four each from the Highland League and Lowland League; and two guest teams from each of the NIFL Premiership, Welsh Premier League, English National League, and League of Ireland Premier Division.

Boreham Wood and Sutton United were the two English teams.

A more comprehensive list of teams playing in other countires may be found at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...lubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country

Many thanks for the above.

familyguy99

Tranmere 1-1 Oldham

Sound like fair point in this game and decent point for Latics given Tranmere have one of best home record in LG2 this season.

Iskra

Established Member
Leeds 2 Bristol City 0

After taking a pasting against WBA last time out, a severely weakened Leeds team made a rusty start. A 55th minute second Yellow card for Bristol opened the game up and it was one way traffic after that.

A much needed 3 points puts us 2nd. We have Reading on Tuesday night, which we really need to win as we have the Blades away on Saturday.

adrock1976

Established Member
Aston Villa 4 Dirty Bluenoses 2

Nothing second rate about today's Second City derby, which saw Villa falling behind at first when Lukas Jutkiewicz opened the scoring in the 28th minute. Villa replied in the 37th minute with Jonathan Kodja to restore parity, with Jack Grealish taking the lead 2 minutes later. Tammy Abraham extended Villa's lead 6 minutes into the second half with a penalty, with the Bluenoses having woken up before Kristian Pedersen scored to make it 3-2. Alan Hutton made it 4-2 to Villa in the 76th minute, with no more scored or conceded during the final stages of the game.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 - 2 Huddersfield Town

Was worried about this game, but my word, what a performance! Aaron Mooy will take the headlines with the goals, but every player stepped up today. Phillip Billing will be attracting offers in January, and not simply because of his miraculous clearance off the line. If we can keep this level up we'll be okay, but that's a big "if".

SS4

Established Member

Nothing second rate about today's Second City derby, which saw Villa falling behind at first when Lukas Jutkiewicz opened the scoring in the 28th minute. Villa replied in the 37th minute with Jonathan Kodja to restore parity, with Jack Grealish taking the lead 2 minutes later. Tammy Abraham extended Villa's lead 6 minutes into the second half with a penalty, with the Bluenoses having woken up before Kristian Pedersen scored to make it 3-2. Alan Hutton made it 4-2 to Villa in the 76th minute, with no more scored or conceded during the final stages of the game.

Three points and bragging rights obtained and what a goal from the Scottish Cafu.

The_Train

Established Member

Rumour has it that Alan Hutton is still running around Birmingham evading tackles right now. I bet he couldn't believe it when he looked up and saw the goal in front of him and yet he still slotted it away like a seasoned striker. Truly superb goal!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Most unwelcoming football ground for away fans - Altrincham, Forest Green Rovers, others?

When Bradford visited Moss Lane in the FA Trophy on Saturday, Altrincham decided to segregate supporters and force all away fans to stand on an exposed open terrace behind the goal. Not much fun when you are a pensioner. Fortunately it didn't rain. And to add insult to injury, we had to pay the same price as home fans sat under cover on the halfway line. Very unwelcoming and not the sort of thing you would expect in the sixth tier. Stockport County and Southport used to be as bad, but now seem to have relented.

Which other clubs treat away fans as badly as this?

When I went to politically correct Forest Green Rovers last season, they forced Lincoln City fans to stand on an open side. They showed no mercy when a downpour of biblical proportions started and continued for the best part of an hour (despite the other three sides being covered, one of which was sparsely populated). It must have been horrendous travelling almost 200 miles back to Lincoln in soaking clothes. And they don't sell meat pies, burgers or hot dogs as the chairman is a hard core vegetarian.

fowler9

Established Member
IMG-20181127-WA0005.jpeg Alright folks, just a photo of a new plaque unveiled at Liverpool South Parkway by the mayor of Budapest and Steve Rotherham this morning .

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Liverpool South Parkway was built on the site of Holly Park, the former home of South Liverpool FC, which was bordered by the lines to Lime Street and Central. Bradford played there four times in the 1970s, drawing all four 1-1, and I saw the lot. We also gained our first non-league point there since we won 3-1 at Brentford in the Southern League (!) in 1908.

I find it rather disrespectful that this plaque makes no mention of South Liverpool FC.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Liverpool South Parkway was built on the site of Holly Park, the former home of South Liverpool FC, which was bordered by the lines to Lime Street and Central. Bradford played there four times in the 1970s, drawing all four 1-1, and I saw the lot. We also gained our first non-league point there since we won 3-1 at Brentford in the Southern League (!) in 1908.

I find it rather disrespectful that this plaque makes no mention of South Liverpool FC.
Me and my dad would agree with you there to an extent. There is however a whole wall with four posters giving the history of South Liverpool by one of the entrances, that said it is between the bike sheds and the entrance behind the smoking area so not very well sited. It gives quite a lot of info though including mention of the first Game played under floodlights which included a Nigeria 11 playing barefoot. It doesn't mention James Brodie after whom a nearby road is named, the city engineer and inventer of goal nets. Anyway, the Plaque isn't in an amazing position, in between the Costa and the cash point.

SS4

Established Member
What a game at Villa Park. 5-5 and we had two goals disallowed (legit according to BBC WM) as well as Forest getting a man sent off. Feels like a defeat tbh

I hope Father Christmas brings us a goalkeeper though...

Geezertronic

Established Member
What a game at Villa Park. 5-5 and we had two goals disallowed (legit according to BBC WM) as well as Forest getting a man sent off. Feels like a defeat tbh

I hope Father Christmas brings us a goalkeeper though...

It was only a single camera on Sky Sports with no replays as it was a red button match, but one of the two disallowed goals did look to be properly disallowed.

With a man down, Villa should have sealed the game (like Blues did :)) but it ended up 5-5 with it being two goals scored each after the dismissal which should be considered poor. Hopefully the reminder of the derby win last weekend might cheer you grumpy buggers up :D

SS4

Established Member
It was only a single camera on Sky Sports with no replays as it was a red button match, but one of the two disallowed goals did look to be properly disallowed.

With a man down, Villa should have sealed the game (like Blues did :)) but it ended up 5-5 with it being two goals scored each after the dismissal which should be considered poor. Hopefully the reminder of the derby win last weekend might cheer you grumpy buggers up :D

Indeed we should have gone on to win. For the avoidance of doubt when I said the disallowed goals were legit I meant legitimately disallowed and should not have counted but I'm too uncaring about the PL to get sky sports so couldn't watch.

Got Albion soon so hopefully we'll get another derby win there

DarloRich

Veteran Member

John Aldridge & Jimmy Case started out at South Liverpool - has the club finished now?