• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'll be happy if we stay this close, City don't even have Dr Bruyne at the mo. That said our front line isn't clicking, hopefully it will start to.

Me too mate, a good title challenge this season would be an excellent platform for next season.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I wouldn't normally give a second thought to the Checkatrade Trophy but ...

I was delighted to see Port Vale stuff Stoke City U21 4-0 in the fake Potteries derby last night. It must have been humiliating for Vale to have to pit their first team against the juniors of their cross-city rivals. They were on a hiding to nothing. Indeed Stoke sold out their allocation of tickets, their fans no doubt hoping to humiliate their rivals while many Vale supporters stayed away. Thankfully this didn't happen.

And Kingstonian must have been looking on in anger as Chelsea U21 played Wimbledon. When Wimbledon bought Kingsmeadow from Kingstonian, they allowed the Ks to stay on as tenants. Then the Dons sold the ground to Chelsea, presumably to fund their move back to Wimbledon. Chelsea then decided that Kingsmeadow would be the home for their women's team, who nobody apart from the Guardian is interested in, and kicked out Kingstonian who have now had to move to Leatherhead I believe. The irony is that last night's game was played at Stamford Bridge.

The_Train

Established Member
I wouldn't normally give a second thought to the Checkatrade Trophy but ...

I was delighted to see Port Vale stuff Stoke City U21 4-0 in the fake Potteries derby last night. It must have been humiliating for Vale to have to pit their first team against the juniors of their cross-city rivals. They were on a hiding to nothing. Indeed Stoke sold out their allocation of tickets, their fans no doubt hoping to humiliate their rivals while many Vale supporters stayed away. Thankfully this didn't happen.

And it has made national news now as it appears that the Stoke fans decided to trash the away end whilst picking fights with anyone and everyone. All because their U23s are a bit rubbish :E:lol:

Sums the city up really!

Edit: I think it is actually U21s in this competition and here is one of many links to the events of last night
https://news.sky.com/story/eleven-a...-rare-stoke-vs-port-vale-derby-match-11571967

Established Member
Burnley 1-3 Liverpool.

After going 1-0 down in the 54th minute, Liverpool come back to win 3-1 thanks to goals from James Milner, Roberto Firmino and Xherdan Shaqiri.

Shaqiri's goal came from an excellent counter attack started by Alisson, who had just made a crucial save to keep the score at 2-1. A special mention goes to Naby Keita, who I thought had his best game for Liverpool so far.

I wish Joe Gomez a speedy recovery too.

Cletus

Established Member
Followers of non-league football will know of Billericay and their owner/chairman/manager/etc Glenn Tamplin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Tamplin

Well yesterday at least six players left the club. Another rich man's play thing looks to be hitting the buffers there, as almost everyone predicted it would.

Aston Villa 2-2 West Bromwich Albion

With two goals scored by El Ghazi surely nothing could go wrong, right? Nope, because a West Brom player pushes the ball into the net with his hand. The referee nor the linesman saw it, so the goal was allowed.

The_Train

Established Member
Followers of non-league football will know of Billericay and their owner/chairman/manager/etc Glenn Tamplin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Tamplin

Well yesterday at least six players left the club. Another rich man's play thing looks to be hitting the buffers there, as almost everyone predicted it would.

I've heard bits about this, particularly when he kept sacking himself. Seems strange that someone can invest £2 million into a non-league side yet he was unable to ensure his business was able to pay creditors, including the tax man

SS4

Established Member
Aston Villa 2-2 West Bromwich Albion

With two goals scored by El Ghazi surely nothing could go wrong, right? Nope, because a West Brom player pushes the ball into the net with his hand. The referee nor the linesman saw it, so the goal was allowed.

This sort of thing is why we need VAR. Officials are only human and can miss things but that cost us 2 points and who knows how valuable that could be in the long term.

Established Member
Bournemouth 0-4 Liverpool.

An excellent performance from Liverpool today, with a Mo Salah hat trick (to be fair, I did think his first goal was offside) and an outstanding Steve Cook own goal earning us the victory. In my view, this was one of our best performances so far this season.

Massive credit to Salah for refusing to accept his Man of the Match award after the game, instead giving it to James Milner to mark his 500th Premier League appearance.

BlueFox

I thought that Video Assistant Referee had already been introduced, or was that just for the top flight division?

VAR will be used in the Premier League next season.
It was used in some FA cup games last season, and will be again this season.
It's being used this season in League Cup games that are played at Premier League grounds.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik Premier League

Scarborough Athletic 0 ... Hyde United 2

Both these teams were promoted to the Evo Stik Premier League this season and whilst Scarborough were top of the league before this match, it looked a very difficult away game for Hyde in mid-table. However, Hyde scored in the 18th and the 22nd minute and kept a clean sheet. For this division, a crowd attendance of 964 was quite good and quite a number of Hyde supporters made the journey. This win keeps Hyde in 10th place having played a game less than the other teams near to them in the league.

familyguy99

Crewe 0-2 Oldham

Oldham unbeaten run continues after this good win and from what I hear it sound like our defences P.Clarke scored wonderful goal from 30 yards out.

In EFL Trophy draw. Oldham/Rochdale have draw a home to U21 Manchester City. Any other Cup competition I be very happy to see Oldham draw against Man City but in this competition I can't care less if Oldham lose to Rochdale on Tues night or even win that match and play Man City on 7/8th January.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The Checkatrade Trophy 3rd round draw includes Sunderland 1st team vs Newcastle Utd U21s. I bet that has gone down well on Wearside.

fowler9

Established Member
Bournemouth 0-4 Liverpool.

An excellent performance from Liverpool today, with a Mo Salah hat trick (to be fair, I did think his first goal was offside) and an outstanding Steve Cook own goal earning us the victory. In my view, this was one of our best performances so far this season.

Massive credit to Salah for refusing to accept his Man of the Match award after the game, instead giving it to James Milner to mark his 500th Premier League appearance.
Hopefully starting to get a bit of form back. Always nice to be able to take Shaqiri off and put Mane on. Respect to Salah aswell. His terrible season as joint top scorer in the premier league could be worse. Hopefully he will get over this lull in form.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
This sort of thing is why we need VAR. Officials are only human and can miss things but that cost us 2 points and who knows how valuable that could be in the long term.

VAR would show the player didn’t intentionally play the ball with his hand. He simply fell onto the ball which squirted over the line.

Goal.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hopefully starting to get a bit of form back. Always nice to be able to take Shaqiri off and put Mane on. Respect to Salah aswell. His terrible season as joint top scorer in the premier league could be worse. Hopefully he will get over this lull in form.
:lol:

Established Member

Hopefully mate, we've got a difficult game next weekend.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's true, I'd forgotten about the Napoli game.

I'd say it's a must win game, but every game is if we want to win something.
That’s the thing isn’t it.
What would you rather (and other LFC fans) concentrate on IF you had to put your eggs into one basket? *
Champions League?
The League?
I really hope that Liverpool beat Napoli on Tuesday (and I think they should, but it’ll be close).
There’d be no better feeling than winning the PL this season though I reckon...
Man City are awesome, and to beat them to win it would be an absolutely incredible story.
There’s a chance that City could go a long way in the CL this year? And if they do then potentially it could be useful for Liverpool if their focus starts to become drawn towards Europe...
I’m no expert, but it could become very interesting.

* I say this because it seems increasingly difficult to fight on more fronts than one if you’re part of the English Premier League, due to the sheer demands and competitiveness of it.

Last edited:

Established Member
That’s the thing isn’t it.
What would you rather (and other LFC fans) concentrate on IF you had to put your eggs into one basket? *
Champions League?
The League?
I really hope that Liverpool beat Napoli on Tuesday (and I think they should, but it’ll be close).
There’d be no better feeling than winning the PL this season though I reckon...
Man City are awesome, and to beat them to win it would be an absolutely incredible story.
There’s a chance that City could go a long way in the CL this year? And if they do then potentially it could be useful for Liverpool if their focus starts to become drawn towards Europe...
I’m no expert, but it could become very interesting.

* I say this because it seems increasingly difficult to fight on more fronts than one if you’re part of the English Premier League, due to the sheer demands and competitiveness of it.

If I had to choose, I'd say the league (Liverpool haven't won it since I was born), but I do agree we need to try to focus on every competition we're participating in rather than just one. For this season, I'd be more than happy with a good challenge for the league. In the summer, I think we need to sign another attacking midfielder as a replacement for Coutinho and a top quality striker.

I wouldn't say winning a trophy is an absolute must this season, but progress is.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If I had to choose, I'd say the league (Liverpool haven't won it since I was born), but I do agree we need to try to focus on every competition we're participating in rather than just one. For this season, I'd be more than happy with a good challenge for the league. In the summer, I think we need to sign another attacking midfielder as a replacement for Coutinho and a top quality striker.

I wouldn't say winning a trophy is an absolute must this season, but progress is.
I agree. These are great times, and whatever happens there’s been some serious improvement over the last few years.
I agree with buying an attacking midfielder too.

Established Member
I agree. These are great times, and whatever happens there’s been some serious improvement over the last few years.
I agree with buying an attacking midfielder too.

Absolutely mate, very exciting times to be a Liverpool supporter. :)

OwlMan

Established Member
Spare a thought for the 8 teams below who are the only teams out of the 1020 teams currently playing in the top 10 tiers of English Football to have not won a league game this season

NON LEAGUE STEP 3
EVO-STIK CENTRAL PREMIER: Bedworth United (19 Games)

NON LEAGUE STEP 5
ESSEX SENIOR: Barkingside (20 Games)
SPARTAN SM PREMIER: Stotfold (18 Games)
TOOLSTATION WESTERN PREMIER: Shortwood United (17 Games)
SOUTHERN COMBINATION PREMIER: Eastbourne United Association (16 Games)
NORTHERN DIVISION ONE: Penrith (17 Games)

NON LEAGUE STEP 6
SOUTH WEST PENNINSULA: Sticker (23 Games)
EAST MIDLANDS COUNTIES: Arnold Town (20 Games)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlo lost versus rock bottom Nuneaton ( 2-1) in a poor game which was played in a terrible atmosphere. We travel to 2nd place Chorley on Saturday and will lose there. sigh.