• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Neptune

Established Member
I think that's the pre-watershed version :lol: That scene was truly stunning - sacking the club captain at half time, abusing pretty much all the rest of the players, and offering one of them out for a fight before telling him he could bring a mate and go one against two. I bet the TV people couldn't believe their luck
I remember watching it at the time. I couldn’t believe what I was watching. Makes Barry Fry and Neil Warnock seem calm.

I’ve seen a few interviews with John Sitton and he says that that programme ruined his career as nobody would touch him after that. Great youth coach by all accounts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Wasn't his father called Neville Neville?
He was indeed. One time director of Bury FC when they were still an EFL club. Wife was Janet Jill who was club secretary. Died in Australia in 2015 whilst in the country to watch his daughter Tracey's England team in the netball World Cup.

Last edited:

On Moderation
He was indeed. One time director of Bury FC when they were still an EFL club. Wife was Janet who was club secretary. Died in Australia in 2015 whilst in the country to watch his daughter Tracey's England team in the netball World Cup.
Jill Neville (not Janet) according to t’internet.

Cletus

Established Member
I see Chesterfield knocked Salford out of the FA Cup. How will the TV companies manage to to schedule Salford into the 3rd round TV games? :smile:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Piching In Northern Premier League...Premier Division

South Shields 1 ... Hyde United 2

A large home attendance figure of 2,015 saw South Shields, in the top four in this league, go in front after 7 minutes, only for Hyde to level the scores two minutes later. After 25 minutes, Hyde took a 2-1 lead and that then remained the score until full time.

SteveM70

Established Member
Before the season began I had a bet with one of my kids that Leeds will get relegated. They massively overperformed last season, and caught a few teams out with their formation and style of play. Fast forward a season and they’ve been found out, and a lot of injuries haven’t helped. It’s exactly what happened with Sheffield United.

And for all his hero status, Bielsa’s recruitment hasn’t been fantastic. Firpo is a disaster, Dan James is just a Theo Walcott for the 2020s (an athlete trying to be a footballer) etc etc

Now I might lose my bet as there could be three even worse teams, but it’ll be close

brad465

Established Member
Alright, place your bets, which games will go ahead this weekend?
The only game going ahead today (last minute postponement depending) is Leeds vs Arsenal. The other 5 have all been postponed, with the Villa vs Burnley one postponed just 2 hours before kick-off.

Indeed! But the championship isn't exciting anymore...

And league 1 and league 2 have most games postponed

SteveM70

Established Member
Bradford (Park Avenue) v Halifax also sadly postponed, although at least it was for the old-school reason of thick fog

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the games this weekend that were announced as postponed earlier in the week, did the FA and the Premier/Football Leagues give it the go ahead for the cancellations with no problems?

I am asking this because if clubs have approached the FA, etc to cancel the game, they should have points docked, as what happened with either Sunderland or Middlesbrough (cannot remember which one) and Hamilton Academical years ago when they were unable to field a team.

Although there is a pandemic on at the moment, last season there were some sides in the fifth tier and below that got hammered with fines when they had to cancel games due to various Covid outbreaks within the team and testing positive.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
So let me get this right. A game is cancelled if some very fit athletes return a positive LFT, for some spurious “player protection” reasons. But if the game goes ahead then 50,000 can pack in so long as they’ve had vaccines. Makes no sense.

Iskra

Established Member
Regarding the games this weekend that were announced as postponed earlier in the week, did the FA and the Premier/Football Leagues give it the go ahead for the cancellations with no problems?

I am asking this because if clubs have approached the FA, etc to cancel the game, they should have points docked, as what happened with either Sunderland or Middlesbrough (cannot remember which one) and Hamilton Academical years ago when they were unable to field a team.

Although there is a pandemic on at the moment, last season there were some sides in the fifth tier and below that got hammered with fines when they had to cancel games due to various Covid outbreaks within the team and testing positive.
I quite agree, Leeds played with 9 first teamers out injured yesterday. Some of the teams who cried off have less players with positive test results. Where’s the consistency?

Really, they should've postponed all of this weekend's fixtures in all four divisions and the carabao cup matches on Tuesday and Wednesday as Thomas Frank suggested.

SteveM70

Established Member
Another day, another VAR shambles. Actually, three of them (so far). Why can’t they just use it like rugby union do?

backontrack

Established Member
Another day, another VAR shambles. Actually, three of them (so far). Why can’t they just use it like rugby union do?
Because rugby doesn't use it all that well either! (Particularly if the TMO's name is Ben Skeen, but that's a topic for another day and another thread.)

roversfan2001

Established Member
Really, they should've postponed all of this weekend's fixtures in all four divisions and the carabao cup matches on Tuesday and Wednesday as Thomas Frank suggested.
Why? What would that actually have achieved?

The talk of a 'circuit-breaker' for the football season just smacks of "we need to do something, this is something, let's do it".